Start by marking “Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook: A Guide to the Materials in the Wild and How To Use them for Food, Warmth, Shelter and Navigation” as Want to Read:

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Ray Mears' Outdoor Survival Handbook is a book of discovery, explaining the everyday skills you need to live in and enjoy the natural world. Season by season, this unique, fully illustrated guide describes the resources and materials available in the wild and how to use them. Whether you want to spend a day, a week or a month out of doors, Ray Mears' Outdoor Survival Handb ...more
Published April 19th 2001 by Ebury Press (first published June 15th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook

Alexander
Apr 04, 2008 Alexander rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bushcraft fans, outdoor fans, survivalists
Shelves: nonfiction
Ray Mears is an undisputed master of bushcraft. This book is a condensed season by season manual of skills useful to those living out in the wilds. Whether it's the instruction of useful knots, how to braid your own cordage, or start a fire, this book is an extremely useful guide. If you like this, check out the various BBC series that Mears has been involved in.
Cat {Wild Night In}
I've been working my way through this one since arriving in Yorkshire. It's increased my confidence in exploring and camping out in the countryside and I've had a great deal of fun identifying plants mentioned in the book and making food with/ from them.

In addition to the information contained within, Mears writes with respect and lyricism throughout. What could have been a highly informative but dry manual feels more like a conversation with a really good teacher.

Simply put, it was brilliant.
Sarah Lameche
Nice book I took whilst orienteering 'just in case'. Thankfully it wasn't needed but was a nice security cushion.
Jacek Nickowski
I could use many of these Resources camping when I go to the boundary waters. I like the traps and hunting things they have in this book.
Vanessa Read
I am a fan of Ray Mears, so I liked this book a lot. It was a gift and I found it interesting and well illustrated.
Fed
I learned a lot from this book, very practical advice.
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
timo
timo marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Baukje
Baukje marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
james Holland
james Holland marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Daniel Preston
Daniel Preston marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Caroline Liddle
Caroline Liddle marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Mark Richmond
Mark Richmond marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Sarah Arnett
Sarah Arnett marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Tony Langone
Tony Langone marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bush Craft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival
  • Camping and Woodcraft: A Handbook for Vacation Campers and for Travelers in the Wilderness
  • Food for Free (Collins Gem)
  • Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game
  • The Rodale Book of Composting: Easy Methods for Every Gardener
  • Where There Is No Dentist
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • Wildwood Wisdom
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
  • Camping & Wilderness Survival, 2nd: The Ultimate Outdoors Book
  • Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
Essential Bushcraft The Real Heroes Of Telemark My Outdoor Life Bushcraft: An Inspirational Guide to Surviving the Wilderness Bushcraft Survival