Florence (Florence Waverley, #1)

Florence (Florence Waverley #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  107 reviews

Published July 1st 2012 (first published June 28th 2012)

Return of the Crown by Millie BurnsIn the End by Alexandra RowlandCrux by Julie ReeceBack To You by Annie BrewerJack James and the Tribe of the Teddy Bear by J. Joseph Wright
Indie Fantasy – July New Releases
18th out of 25 books — 32 voters
Sweetest Curse by Susan D. TaylorA Mermaid's Kiss by Joey W. HillA Witch's Beauty by Joey W. HillA Mermaid's Ransom by Joey W. HillThe Keeper and the Alabaster Chalice by Paige W. Pendleton
Awesome Mermaid Books
79th out of 92 books — 73 voters

More lists with this book...

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
2.5/5 stars

As far as paranormal romances go, Florence is unobtrusive and unoffensive. But it feels just like same-old-same old to me.

Florence is your typical misunderstood loner. For years she's been "new girl" and nobody really knows or cares about her. She' invisible to her classmates. However, everything changes on a school field trip when she's kidnapped by mermaids.

The mermaids take her to be Prince Kiren's familiar, something that is not really explained, but never mind she's deemed inappr...more
Nea Barabea
You know, I've never read a book about mermaids. Dunno why, but they somehow didn't appeal to me. And then I got this book for review, and I was like "Seriously? Mermaids?" I thought about it and then decided to accept it.

And let me tell you, Oh my god! This book is awesome. The world that Ciye created is stunning. Bright colours, amazing characters and an intrigue, unique story. It's quite fast paced and the story flew by like a blur.

The story is told in the first person, and the narrator is...more
Flora Bateman
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This was a fun read. It had a bit of a slow start but once I got into it I couldn't put it down.

Florence Waverly is a plain girl who tries to stay in the shadows. She really doesn't fit in anywhere. She still grieves for her dad and is unwanted by her mother. On a school trip to the beach she finds herself abducted by a mermaid and thrust into their world. And what a world it is. Deep beneath the ocean, breathing with the aid...more
Rachel

I haven't been accepting many self-published books for review recently. Not because I don't want to, but because I have so many things piling up on me. Not only do I have books to read and review that I've already accepted or requested, along with books I've bought or been given, but I also have work and friends to keep up with, plus I'll be starting back at school soon. But when I got an email from Ciye Cho asking me to review his book, Florence, my fancy was caught.

Florence follows Fl...more
Jill Swanson
I have an interview with the author and my full review up on my blog!
Please stop by to check it out!

Florence has received four shining stars from me!
Ciye Cho is a promising new young adult author and I am so pleased I have gotten the chance to review his debut novel.
I never thought I would like a plot line involving mermaids. I suppose it seemed slightly childish. But, Florence is in no way childish! It is a wonderfully written story full of enchantment and advent...more
(Source: I was given a digital copy of this book for free, by the author, on a read-to-review basis.)
17-year-old Florence has lived on Hamilton Island for 4 years since her mother abandoned her, but to her classmates who have lived there all their lives she will be forever ‘the new girl’.
Kidnapped by a merman on a school excursion, Florence is taken beneath water, given a polyp attached to her neck to allow her to breath water rather than air, and presented to Prince Kiren as his new familiar.
Th...more
Leanne Bell
It's taken me a while to write this review because of various personal issues but here goes! I loved this book to bits! I found this to be a rare and wonderful piece of escapism that sucked me in from beginning to end.
As if the story line wasn't enough to draw me in; the descriptions of Niemela and the Mer people made it even better.

Florence was an inspirational character and I felt I could relate to her a lot, It was very easy to imagine how it would feel to be in the background to then be thro...more
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Firstly let me tell you that I have never read a Mermaid book that I have actually liked. And I’ve always thought it was strange because when I was 5 I wanted (desperately) to grow up to be one. So obviously I have nothing against the species. But every book I have read has either been juvenile, unbelievable or lacked any imagination. This book might not have converted me to Team Mermaid. But it has certainly made me a fan.

Florence is a lonely introvert who spends her life on the sidelines looki...more
Ashley  McElyea
Originally posted on my blog.

When I received an email from Ciye a few weeks back, I was more than excited to review his book. I have been in the mood for mermaid books recently, I think because it’s summer time. So I jumped at the chance to read Florence.

This book is unlike any other mermaid book that I have ever read. I honestly don’t know what makes it so different or why it stands out so much, but I will do my best to try and explain.

First, you have the world of Niemela. Everything is beauti...more
Hazal (The Book to my Heart)
This is the first book I have received for review and I've actually completed a review for and to be honest, I didn't know what to expect. I loved the sound of it and decided to give it a chance. This was my first mermaid genre book and it was very beautifully written. The description of the sea, the corals and the fish were exquisite and really made me picture the landscape. That was most probably, my favourite part of Florence.

I liked all the characters in Florence and thought that the romance...more
Aeicha
4.5/5 Stars

THREE WORDS: Enchanting, Lush, Mesmerizing

MY REVIEW: A few weeks ago I reviewed another mermaid book that was unfortunately a miss, so I was very happy to discover a mermaid story that is a great big hit! Ciye Cho’s Florence is a refreshing and captivating mermaid tale that had me enthralled from beginning to end.

After the death of her father, seventeen year old Florence Waverly doesn’t seem to fit in anywhere: not at school or even in her mother’s posh world. During a class field tr...more
Jen at Reading Lark
I really wasn't sure what I'd make of this book; I'd thought for a while it would be cool to read about mermaids, but it could all go so wrong and turn into a Disney's Little Mermaid rip off. Happily, that didn't happen with Florence, and I was sucked into an exciting new world.

Florence is an outsider at school, and in life generally. Her father died when she was young, leaving her a burden to those who would sooner she wasn't there. She has virtually no friends and all in all, it isn't too muc...more
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
Amazing and wonderful are two words that come to mind when you think about Florence by Ciye Cho. It has been several days since I finished this wonderful book and I am still thinking about it. Mr. Cho did a beautiful job creating and describing a world that is so unlike our own. From the very beginning this descriptive story takes a hold of you and doesn’t let go.

Florence is a unique story about a girl, named Florence, who is kidnapped and taken to live among the merpeople in Niemela. Before she...more
Dion
This book took me an embarrassingly long time to read...but I am so blaming that on school and life because this book was absolutely AMAZING and I was thinking about it 24/7

I'm not gonna tell you what happens cause that's what the blurb is for and, quite honestly, anything I say about it will not live up to the reality of the book and I don't want to say something that will put anyone off because EVERYONE should read this book!

WARNING: there is a MAJOR plot twist about 60% of the way through th...more
Hollie
This review was first posted on Music, Books and Tea

I cannot swim. I've never really had any desire to swim, until I read Florence. Now I wish I could swim with a breathing polyp attached to me, and live in Niemela. This was the first mermaid/merman book that I've read, and also one of the best fantasy books that I have read. Plus, how beautiful is the cover for this book?! I absolutely love it!

The world-building in Florence was excellent. I really felt that the land of Niemela was its own chara...more
Kristina
I am a very big fan of mermaid stories, which is why I accepted this book for review. Florence had an intriguing synopsis and a beautiful cover. What I found within the pages of it was an original and captivating read!

Florence is a very sad character. She has no friends and she strives to be invisible. When on a field trip to a nearby island, Florence is kidnapped and brought to the bottom of the ocean to the mermaid world of Niemela. If that wasn't strange enough to her, she realizes that she c...more
Aimee
Ciye Cho has created a beautiful underwater setting for her book, Florence. It is filled with vivid scenery and underwater creatures. I've always been fascinated by what lies beneath the oceans. There are so many cool plants and animals. Mermaids are what every little girl dreams about at some point or another, I think, so they make a good subject for writing. I'm glad that this book wasn't too dark and that the mermaids (for the most part) are kind and happy creatures.

The book started out real...more
Angie
Synopsis: "Seventeen-year-old Florence Waverley is out of her depth. Literally. Kidnapped and taken below the waves to the mer world of Niemela, she is the ultimate gift for merman Prince Kiren: a human familiar tied to his side. But nothing is what it seems amid the beauty and danger of a dark ocean.

Every Niemelan has a role to play, from the mermaids who weave towers out of kelp to the warriors who fight sea monsters. But in trying to survive, Florence will end up in the middle of a war betwee
Krista (Nawanda Files)
This was the first mermaid book I've ever read, so I was going into it with an open mind. The world that Cho created was incredibly beautiful, and the world building is pretty stellar. But my favorite part of Florence wasn't the mermaid lore. It was the aspect of the book that really grounded the tale - the monarchy.

The Niemelan race is led by a king, but a young prince is about to be crowned and take over the thrown. Kiren is the younger brother, but will become king since Rolan, the rightful h...more
Tifferz
Tifferz Take~

I was so excited to read about mermaids! This story did not disappoint. Florence is a misfit in the world and on a school trip to the beach she is kidnapped. Her life is change from that moment on. I was fascinated with all the details under the sea! The descriptions are beautiful to put in mildly. I felt that Ms. Cho captured Florance's feelings perfectly, when she was distressed and trying to comprehend this new world below the surface I felt the same way. The polyp that Florence...more
Anna Penwick
**I received a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review**

This book was a good book to start off my Summer reading. Since this book is set under the sea it's a good book to read during a hot day. This book would also be a good beach read. The descriptions of life underwater allows the reader to see what Florence is seeing. I loved the scenery of the underwater kingdom of Niemela. I thought the mer culture was very well developed and felt realistic to me.

The author categorizes...more
Sherre Leach
Vyki (On The Shelf)
Find this review and more at On The Shelf!

This was probably one of the most colorful stories I have ever read. I loved the descriptions of the underwater kingdom. Everything was so bright and lively, and it sounded so beautiful.

I really liked the characters and how colorful they were as well. Florence was a quiet character at first. She didn’t want to bring attention to herself, but that changes when she is brought to Niemela, where her very presence is attention grabbing. She is special somehow...more
Andrea
This review was originally posted at The Overstuffed Bookcase.

A Great Welcome into the World of Mermaid Books...

I loved The Little Mermaid as a kid. I mean, LOVED it. It remains my favorite Disney movie to this day. I could go into a story about me and my neighbor as children but I'll refrain. So the point is, I really love mermaids. And for some reason, I had never read a mermaid book until reading Florence. I have plenty on my TBR list, but I just never got around to reading any. So I was rea...more
Stephanie
Oh my gosh! This book was so unexpected for me. I was pleasantly pleased with the entire book. I did not want to stop reading it. When Ciye Cho contacted me and had asked me if I could read his book in exchange for an honest review, I said sure, why not? When reading the description of Florence, I was a little hesitant to take the dive only because it's about mermaids and mermen and I really wasn't sure how I felt about that. I've never once read a mermaid book nor did I really ever find one tha...more
Kaitlyn Francis
Ever feel like an outsider looking in, and everyone looked right past you. For Florence living behind the scenes was her scene and even she was included she really didn't feel included in anything. Not since her dad past away and she was sent to live with her mom who really could care less about Florence, life was just a way to get by, until of course a trip to the ocean with her school that life turns for Florence. For someone used to just looking in was now the focal point in a world no human...more
Sarah (TotalTeenFiction)
Full review also posted here on TotalTeenFiction

I was very kindly sent a copy of this book by the author before Christmas, but I've had a bit of a backlog and so I've been waiting to have time to read it. I was really excited to get started because it's about mermaids, and that's a genre within YA I haven't read before! Florence tells the story of Florence Waverley, who ends up discovering a hidden underwater land when she is captured by mermaids.

I think the main thing I loved about this book wa...more
Jenn (Booksessed)
This was the second book by Ciye Cho that I have read and I find myself fascinated not only my his storytelling, but by his descriptive style, particularly using color. I am yet to be disappointed by his works. This work is a wonderful twist on the world of mermaids and what happens when a human mistakenly becomes part of their world.

As the book starting, I really identified with Florence. She’s painfully shy and doesn’t like to put herself out there in social situations. She prefers to watch a...more
Monaliz
My rating: 4/5 stars
Read the review in my blog!

May contain some spoilers
Florence is invisible. Well, not really, but she feels like it and tries to stay unnoticed. Even when she's been in her school for ages nobody knows or even recognizes her.
So when she's kidnapped to Niemela, the mer world, she's not really devastated. For the first time ever she can be seen. And for the first time someone gets interested in her. Actually, there's two someones; brothers Kiren and Rolan.
But can she really tr...more
Janina
I would like to thank Ciye Cho for a review copy of this book :) All thoughts are my honest opinion :) And I must say that I am really starting to get into the mermaid/mermen genre. It's very interesting and different than your typical vampire, werewolf, witchy stories.

In the beginning of this story it started off kind of slow to me. Not to slow, but slow enough to were it took me a couple of chapters to really get into the book. I really liked how each mermaid/mermen were made up of different c...more
  • Pledged (Soul Wars Saga, #1)
  • The Fate of the Muse (Marina's Tales, #3)
  • The Forbidden Trilogy
  • Intangible (Intangible, #1)
  • After Ever (After, #1)
  • Purgatory Reign
  • The Mine (Northwest Passage #1)
  • Owlet (Society of Feathers, #1)
  • Persistence of Vision
  • Lunangelique (Lunangelique, #1)
  • When, At Last, He Found Me (Memoir of a Mermaid, #1)
  • Spectral
  • Pandora's Key (The Key Trilogy, #1)
  • A Bite's Tale (A Furry Fable)
  • First Frost (First Frost, #1)
  • Violet Midnight (Violet Night, #1)
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
  • Neophyte
Ciye Cho lives in Australia and works as a graphic designer. He writes YA novels in his free time--and his head is often lost in the clouds or some place far from reality...
More about Ciye Cho...
Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2) Rory (The Ghosts of Palladino, #1) Shiewo: A Fantasy Flight to Adventure (Shiewo's Odyssey, #1) Luminaire (Florence Waverley, Book 2) Shiewo: A Fantasy Flight to Adventure (Book One of Shiewo's Odyssey)