Start by marking “The Believer” as Want to Read:
The Believer

The Believer (The Believer )

There is a place where the threat of foreign terrorism is nonexistent, where there are no arguments about religion, and no battles over politics. Welcome to New America—a place where reading the wrong book can cost you your life!

Ian Roshek finally believes in something. The young history professor has studied a contraband copy of the Book of Mormon—and he knows what it say
Softcover
Published January 2005 by Covenant Communications Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Believer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Believer

Liz
Aug 12, 2011 Liz rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds, mystery
Okay, this book held promise. Dystopian, future society story which I love. LDS twist to it was kind of fun. A lot of mystery. However, the main character was sometimes hard to understand. Was he brave or not? Convicted to his feelings or not? I didn't always relate to him. Then they bring in the girl character who I didn't really like. You're supposed to forgive her by the end, but they didn't tell me enough about her feelings to help me want to forgive her. She seemed mostly motivated by guilt ...more
Orlando
Sep 04, 2009 Orlando rated it it was ok
I didn't really care for this book... I REALLY had to work to keep reading to the end... I read Stephanie's 3 books backwards.. Meaning the 3rd, 2nd, then this one... If I had read this one first I would not have read anymore of her books because it dragged tooo much for the first 3/4 of the book... I think she needed to explain the background, that it is "mimicking" the story in 3 Nephi... Too much focus on the anarchist itself and not on the story line... Then you finally start to get into the ...more
Mormonhermitmom
Jan 31, 2011 Mormonhermitmom rated it liked it
I've been missing the Cold War. It was such a great era for exciting movies, books, etc. Don't get me wrong; I don't care for the thought of Mutually Assured Destruction brought on by tense diplomatic relations. However, the stories of the oppression coming from behind the Iron Curtain made for great reading, a la 1984.

This book doesn't showcase an exact Orwellian society, but it does depict a world carved out of America in which religion is not only marginalized but criminalized. How does a gov
Anna
Aug 01, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
I've read all of Stephanie's books, and even though this was her first it was just as good as the others. When did she learn and hone her craft? It seems Stephanie just exploded onto the LDS literary scene fully developed and with as much talent as many writers who have spent years improving book-by-book.

The Believer is set in a dystopian society, "New America", set up three generations ago by revered men of high ideals and great ambition. Those who have to live in the society they created striv
Lucinda
Oct 29, 2012 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
I'm going to brag about having a signed first edition of this book, that's how much I love it.

I purchased the paperback when it came out in 2005. I usually read romance, but something in the blurb caught my attention, and I had to get it.
I remember how impressed I was with it when I finished reading, and I even read it a few more times after that. Last year, I gave it to my 15 y.o. son to read, since he's an avid reader of sci-fi and dystopians, and he loved it too.

It's been a few years since I
Mindy
Mar 04, 2011 Mindy rated it it was amazing
Words can not describe what a crazy-good author Stephanie Black is. Her books take you to another place, a place that you are reluctant to return from. Well, in the case of The Believer, that world was a pretty tough place to be, but you know what I mean. When we first meet Ian Roshek, he is coming to the aid of a student being wrongly accused of having contraband. He is taken into custody and tortured (don't worry, it's not graphic) by police interrogator Alisa Kent. After the agonizing time sp ...more
Dlora
With this novel, Stephanie Black has entered the dystopian subgenre of science fiction novels. She's created a world where a group of citizens have seceded from the United States to form New America, a country that blames religion as the catalyst for terrorism and hatred that plagues the U.S. Believing in God is grounds for treason and Mormonism in particular is considered especially pernicious. Living in a virtual police state, Ian Roschek, an historian specializing in the early years of their ...more
Melissa
Really enjoyed this dystopian novel. The story is set in New America (a portion of the U.S. that has been sectioned off to prevent civil war). In New America, religion has been banned and anyone caught with religious materials is subject to police interrogation and potentially death. When Ian Roshek, a young history professor begins to study the history of the United States and gets ahold of a Book of Mormon, he begins to question the validity of New America and the propaganda he is forced to te ...more
Darla
Jan 02, 2010 Darla rated it liked it
(Genre:LDS science fiction) Set in the future, this novel explores a splinter group/country breaking away from the USA. This society is very government-centric. Religion is banned to avoid the problem of religious extremists and people are used to being watched and having their words and actions carefully monitored and controlled. A professor of history (Ian) has stumbled upon a contra-ban Book of Mormon and after careful study of the book, he becomes a believer. But when he comes under the scru ...more
Kathy
Oct 05, 2008 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: LDS readers who don't mind "edgy"
Recommended to Kathy by: The author
Intense. Interesting. A fast and involving read. Brings up some interesting questions. Tight and intricate plot. Believable and likeable characters. For its genre, it's fabulous. Probably my all time favorite LDS fiction book. My older kids loved it too. The religious part was central, not just added to appeal to a LDS audience, and not in any way sappy. The main character was, technically, not even LDS. Loved the family relationship between the main character and his sister. It was sweet, but g ...more
Marlow
Jul 13, 2008 Marlow rated it liked it
This books takes place in the near future in a place where people are controlled more tightly than they realize. Contraband literature (IE scriptures) are smuggled into the country and people meet in secret to discuss it. Those that are caught with it are tortured until death or until they denounce what they have learned and declare who gave it to them.

A professor reads a copy and begins to believe. Once he believes he gets others to believe as well.

The book has a very interesting premise in a w
Alex
Mar 07, 2015 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: the-gull
I feel like I should have liked this book more than I do. I really wanted to give it 4 stars, but it was lacking for some reason. But I think that was because of the abridgment of the book more than the writing.

Well. That ended... abruptly.

So the audiobook is abridged...
So I'm thinking to myself... and to whoever is reading this... maybe everything everybody else disliked was taken out :)
I'm not hating it, but I can see that I'm missing parts of the story. Parts that would smooth out the edges
Bobbi
Jun 11, 2008 Bobbi rated it liked it
This book leaves you wondering: Could this really happen? Yes, it could happen. It's not that far fetched for a government to control it's people like this. We take our freedom for granted and are in a contented ignorance most of the time. This is dangerous. Power hungry leaders that don't feel that they have to answer to a higher power (God) don't have a conscience to restrain them and will stop at nothing.

I enjoyed this book for it's entertainment value. The middle was a bit slow, but it held
Ellise Weaver
Feb 19, 2013 Ellise Weaver rated it it was amazing
I've read this book before but forgot because it's been awhile. But I remembered as soon as I got into it because it was that memorable. I couldn't remember the plot or twists, which was great because it was great to figure it out all over again. This is a remarkable story!

I would recommend this book to anyone. It's full of adventure and suspense right up to the end. Stephanie Black does a great job keeping you on the edge of your seat.

Great job, Stephanie!

~Ellise
Tennys
Feb 20, 2008 Tennys rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I loved it! I couldn't put it down. It's about a man who lives in a country where religion is not allowed, punishable by death. He somehow gets a Book of Mormon, reads it and knows it is true. Therefore he feels compelled to live by the principles he has learned and knows to be true, even at the expense of his life. This has action, adventure, mystery and a bit of clean romance.I will definetly read this story again!
Debbie
Sep 02, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it
This is a great book. Ian finds a contraband Book of Mormon. He reads it and believes its message. He tries to tell his sister and some friends what he has learned, but they won't hear what he has to say. Religious books and pamphlets are banned where Ian and his friends live, which is called New America. Ian and his sister, Jill, and a police officer named Alisa Kent, become fugitives from the law. They are trying to get into The United States. This is book number one.
Annabeth
Jun 20, 2010 Annabeth rated it liked it
It took me till 1/3 of the way through this book before I really "got" into the story. It wasn't easy to understand what was going on. The middle was good, but the last 3 chapters took such a weird turn that I again found myself confused. The characters are well-formed, and the story line is clean, but again, a little confusing. I did enjoy the descriptions of compelled freedom, a moral vacuum, etc.
T.K.
Jul 20, 2009 T.K. rated it really liked it
Very interesting entry in the LDS fantasy genre. I found her "New America" dismal and hard to swallow, but the characters were so intriguing that I couldn't give up the book even when I found it depressing. Also, the way the author used scripture from the Book of Mormon to give the main character hope and sustain him was really inspiring. I look forward to reading more of her books.
Calli
Aug 13, 2010 Calli rated it it was amazing
I almost put this back on the shelf when read the blurb. Thought it would be sappy, trite and predictable. It is anything but that, and I find myself thoroughly caught up in it. Very suspenseful and interesting premise and background.

It had me at hello, and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout.
Cindy
Aug 04, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
Took me awhile to get into it, but then I really enjoyed it. LDS fiction that takes place in a future America, where the country has split in two and "New America" is a dark place where the state decides right and wrong and no religion or any kind of independent thought is allowed. I'll definitely read the sequel to see how it ends up.
Susan
Apr 17, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
An interesting story set in New America, a break-off of the USA where religion is treason. Ian, a history professor studies a contraband copy of the Book of Mormon and believes it is true. now his conscience is telling him one thing while society says another. He struggles to find his way and keep alive. Made me think.
Kirsten
Dec 04, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
I can't decide if I should give this 2 or 3 stars. 2 wins at least for today. I thought this book was imaginative, but I felt like the ending was too abrupt. It was also easy for me to put down. So I guess I'm kind of a fence sitter on this one. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either.
Tristan
Dec 16, 2013 Tristan rated it it was amazing
Love love love this book! I love how believable it was and how it made me wonder if this is our nation's future. The concept of a New America founded on a religious ban is fascinating. It's a great twist to most LDS fiction.
Holly
Jan 16, 2009 Holly rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Too hard for me to get into. Not sure if it the characters or the writing style (style, not ability--she is very good!). It was a storyline I thought I would enjoy, but I couldn't get into it at all.
Amy
May 25, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Amy by: My mom
Interesting idea, good characters...I liked it. My mom sent this home with me to read. It's LDS fiction. The author went to my high school (I didn't know her) and is married to a distant cousin. If there are any others of hers, I think I'll try them.
Katelyn
Jan 17, 2015 Katelyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction
This was a great book. It definitely isn't your average dystopia, and it tied in religion well (which is good in an LDS Fic book). I also loved how well Black used character development in this novel. A good, clean book for lovers of post-apocalyptic stories.
Kristyn
Oct 25, 2009 Kristyn rated it really liked it
This was good. Reminded me a lot of Gerald Lund's 'The Alliance'. At first I didn't think it was my kind of book until I got into the story. It was interesting and makes you think, although it's terrible to imagine the United States breaking apart. Reminds me of how Germany used to be.
Donnell
Oct 05, 2009 Donnell rated it really liked it
WOW.. I really liked this book because it made you think! It was published in 2005, but considering our currently political situation and the stuff congress is trying to push through.. WOW. Secret combinations, "euthanizing" anyone ill, ... sound like the new Health Care Bill..
Kash
Feb 04, 2015 Kash rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I like science fiction, and I liked how the author set up a futuristic America with different boundaries, where religion was banned, and medicine could force a person to tell the truth; but even how medicine could alter a person's perception of truth. It was a fun read that made me think.
Diane
Sep 01, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
This book was pretty good - interesting. I wished for a lot more background information in the story. Without the blurb on the back cover, I would not have had a clue what was going on most of the time.
LDS Ladies Book Club: The Believer and The Witnesses 3 38 Oct 18, 2013 06:45PM
  • Tribunal (Traitor, 2)
  • Never Look Back
  • Cross My Heart
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Royal Secrets (Royal, #2)
  • Alma