Start by marking “On Second Thought” as Want to Read:
On Second Thought

On Second Thought

Published March 1st 2004 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about On Second Thought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Second Thought

Dan
Apr 08, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it
Mr. Wells is very funny. This book is a genre busting Romantic Comedy/Mystery with a Mormon subtext. You probably will not understand the humor in the initial setup chapters if you aren't a Mormon with some years in the church. Give On Second Thought a chance and I hope you won't be disappointed.
On Second Thought has a funny protagonist, comical situations, interesting and likable secondary characters with depth and important sustaining roles, is well written, and fast moving. By the end, I was
Beth
Feb 19, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
I came across this book by accident. I was gathering books for Nathan to read for his Honors requirements and saw this one on the shelf — the cover (well, the spine) stood out to me, and when I read the summary of the book, I knew I had to at least check it out.

Walt Stewart has never been able to settle on a direction in his life, and when fate finally carries him to the fictional town of Alamitos, New Mexico, he gets caught up in the local happenings at the observatory (NOT a laboratory, got th
Kathryn
May 25, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
Darla
Jul 29, 2008 Darla rated it liked it
(Genre: Humorous Fiction/Mystery) My son is appalled that I only gave this 3 stars. I explained that 3 stars means I liked it fine! Very funny story about a guy named Walt who accepts a job in a small town in New Mexico after being jilted by his fiance. His description of his first Sunday attending Elder's quorum was a riot (we listened to it on tape) and all my boys were laughing. They were quoting some of the lines for at least a week. Even my 3 1/2 year old got in the action---I am sure he ...more
Sandrine
Apr 21, 2009 Sandrine rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-hold
So far I am not too exited about this book, I loved the books written by Robert Farrel Smith! They were so fun to read! And the characters we so much more developed and you felt like you knew them. I am not getting this feeling as I read this book.

Well I will not be finishing this book at this time, maybe later this summer. Since I don't have much time to read,I feel like reading something with more substance...
T.J. Bronley
Jun 28, 2010 T.J. Bronley rated it really liked it
I really liked the storytelling in this book. The story was a little cheesy, but honestly, if it were made into an LDS movie (well!) I'd go see it. That's how it read. I held vivid descriptions of the plot in my head the entire time and kept thinking "This would make a good LDS chick flick" worth a guy's time. The 'hero' is the epitome of what many guys think of themselves, minus a few of the over dramatic items. Good story.
Nelsonrn
Mar 24, 2008 Nelsonrn rated it it was amazing
The author was one of my best friends in high school, so my opinion might be biased but it was a great LDS fiction novel full of the sarcastic humor I loved about Rob. My husband and I both loved reading this one together. The romance part is dripping with sap, but again, that is what's great about Rob.
Maria Thomas
May 17, 2016 Maria Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean
We bought this book in the audio version and have listened to it multiple times over the years as a family while traveling. It is a clean, fun and light read (or listen as the case may be). You can laugh a little at the quirks of Mormonism, have a little mystery and romance besides. I recommend it for a fun time.
Scott Wright
Oct 24, 2013 Scott Wright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Ha! I loved it. The cover was a bit strange, but I guess it ties in with the whole street sign issue the main character has with this town. I also enjoyed that the bad guy was an actual LDS guy. Not that I want to see when bad happens, but so many try to avoid anything that may show a weakness in someone of this faith. Rob is funny and this was a fun read.
Andrea
May 24, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it
This book was very enjoyable to read. I really enjoyed the humor.

The main character is about to be married when his finance breaks it off to be with Walt's roommate. Minute after she walks out, he gets a phone call with a job offer in another state. He's happy for the opportunity to run away. The new town is small and quirky, and there's a mystery involved.

Fun read.
Kristyn
May 21, 2009 Kristyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all 12+
This was such a fun book to read that I was sad when it ended. Very funny and lovable characters. Loved all of the cute quotes at the beginning of each chapter. I'm going to copy down most of them before I take the book back.
Micahb
Oct 14, 2015 Micahb rated it it was amazing
This remains my absolute favorite novel of Mr. Wells thus far. It is a great romantic comedy that is well written and quite enjoyable. There are elements of a "scooby-doo" type mystery, but even that plays well in the story overall.
Melody
Mar 06, 2011 Melody rated it liked it
funny story, listened to it while driving to Disneyland. I laughed out loud a few times at the quirky characters.
Ty
Sep 02, 2008 Ty rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fun, action and romance seakers. Mormons
Shelves: humor, fiction, religious
Fun little book. Short, but well written and very readable. A very nice break from heavier reading. Knowledge of Mormon culture helpful.
Jenny
Apr 08, 2009 Jenny rated it liked it
This book was written by a man - and I could tell! It was a fun change to the normal female written, attention to detail, flowery feelings sort of book that is more typical in this genre.
Tara
Apr 30, 2008 Tara rated it liked it
This book was pretty entertaining and a very easy read. The plot wasn't all that riveting but the author has a really funny way of writing and I was seriously laughing through the whole thing.
Ann
Nov 03, 2009 Ann rated it really liked it
Good clean read, I found the main character to be a bit of a whiner, not the strong character that I thought he should be.
Lisa
Jun 13, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, lds
Super funny! I would very generally put this in the same LDS fiction category as "Baptists at our Barbecue" but it's not quite that "out there".
Mindy Williams
Sep 15, 2011 Mindy Williams rated it it was amazing
Sort of lame plot development and characters, but HILARIOUS!! I cannot think of another book I read where I laughed, OUT LOUD, more. Great read~!
Cathleen
Jan 11, 2016 Cathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: romantic-comedy
This was better than I expected! Really funny (though a bit cheesy). I thought the author was a good story teller. 3 1/2 stars
Danielle
Aug 12, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing
This book was so funny. I have read it over and over - it's hilarious. It's got that funny 'Making fun of Mormons' thing going for it with a good story behind it.
Stacy
Aug 08, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read. I like the humor, and his writing is not too sappy. Lots of fun quotes at the beginning of each chapter. A fun, suspenseful story with a happy ending.
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2011
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2009
Kris
Kris rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2011
Annie Lamae
Annie Lamae rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2008
Annalee Woolf
Annalee Woolf rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Abdmoody
Abdmoody rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Counterfeit
  • House of Secrets (A Shandra Covington Mystery, #1)
  • Ghost of a Chance
  • Cankered Roots (Alex and Briggie #1)
  • Baptists at Our Barbecue
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Don't You Marry the Mormon Boys
  • Shadow of the Crown
  • Chickens in the Headlights
  • All's Fair
  • A Forever Love (Unexpected Love, #3)