Start by marking “Don't Close Your Eyes (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Don't Close Your Eyes (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #1)

Don't Close Your Eyes (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #1)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  305 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Stephanie Chalice is a cop's cop. She's bold, smart, independent and beautiful--a powerhouse working in NYPD's homicide unit. She's seen a lot in her years on the force, but she's never come across anything like the case she's up against now. A murdering psychopath is stalking Manhattan, on the prowl for a very special type of woman. Part of his twisted game is intentional ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Don't Close Your Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Close Your Eyes

Liana
Aug 31, 2011 Liana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When a book has as many typos as this one does, it does not portend well for reading enjoyment. And then there is the "is it a typo or just stupidity?" items like "I will not cow town to anyone." I'm assuming the author meant "kowtow" but with this disaster of a book, who knows?

The characters were utterly ridiculous and unbelievable. It was clear that the main character represented a male fantasy of a female detective.

The plot would cause explosions of disbelief even the most credulous among us
Carol
Aug 20, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
This book introduces Stephanie Chalice, a NYPD homicide detective. Smart, sexy, fun and funny with a detective's finely tuned instincts and a little sixth sense thrown in for good measure.

There is a deadly psychopath on the loose, choosing, stalking, finally - asphyxiation. He leaves clues as if daring the police to find him. Chalice doesn't know what is compelling him to murder women. She does know she must find him before her beeper signals his next victim. And the information she's receiving
Jan
Jun 07, 2015 Jan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook-blast
The plot is all twisty and with new data added until the case is complete and tied with ribbon. It's a really super mystery, but the author has absolutely no business writing any medical stuff. Yes, I am perfectly qualified to deem this to be so. Enjoy the thrills and chills of the mystery, but pretty much ignore any diagnostic or hospital related nonsense.
On the other hand, he made an excellent choice of audio performer! TS has excellent skills and puts them to good use in interpreting each of
Wanda Hartzenberg
Dec 08, 2014 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This was an intensely dark thriller which I really loved.
The fact that most of the people within the story is as damaged as the murderer working throughout their own baggage while trying to find a serial killer and later saving a detective was enjoyable and the fact that these people were not all trained professionals made for a refreshing break from the normal police procedural story we have all come across.

I came across this book in the Thrilling Thirteen box set and I must say I think that
Annie
May 31, 2015 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** I was given a free copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review **

I was hooked on this book from chapter one! It is about Stephanie who is a a police detective and has a serial killer in her city that is killing women by suffocating them, and then leaving notes to taunt the police....she is having these frightening dreams also that cause her to go see a psychologist for help...well her doctor refers her to a specialist in dreams and then the story starts to unfold about why this serial
Mark Mallett
Jan 31, 2015 Mark Mallett rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, detective, nook
Way too many problems, stylistic and otherwise. The bulk of the book is first-person narrative by a 28-year-old female cop whose dialog is more like what you'd expect from a horny 13 year old male. Conversations result in conclusions that come from nowhere. Various decisions come out of the blue. Some passages are inconsistent within themselves - I started wondering if we were going to learn that the entire narrative was the product of hallucinations and that's why there seemed to be such shifts ...more
Deedra
Sep 05, 2015 Deedra rated it really liked it
Detectives Chalice and Ledo are tasked with finding the killer of 3 women.A madman is killing women and looking for attention...but who from?Teri Schnaubelt portrays Stephanie Chalice perfectly.The only detraction from this story is the snappy comebacks and somewhat teen aged antics of our lead character.
"I was provided this audiobook at no charge by the author, publisher and/or narrator in exchange for an unbiased review via AudiobookBlast or MalarHouse dot com"
deidre kimble-burke
Quick paced

I thought I knew the ending of this mystery, not quite but pretty close. Enjoyed the pace of the book and I love short chapters. Will definitely read some others works by this author.
Adrienne Testa
Jul 13, 2014 Adrienne Testa rated it liked it
This series has potential, but is very wordy and has a choppy pace. The characters are quirky and each have their own issues to overcome . The story spans thirty years and is filled with lies, secrets and murders.
Erin
Oct 13, 2011 Erin rated it did not like it
I started this book with high hopes after reading all the reviews. I ended the book a week after I started reading it and only dragging myself to page 51. I am a quick reader, averaging about 2-3 books a week if that tells you anything. I found the main charecter very cliche and inwardly groaned at the corny one-liners on every page. - kept forgetting who the murder victim was and really found myself not caring much about the story line. I'm glad some people liked it and wish I could have but i ...more
Leonie
Mar 16, 2013 Leonie rated it did not like it
Wanted to give this book a chance because of the bad reviews but I'll be honest I only managed 20% on the kindle before I had to put it down, I'm usually the sort of person who will read anything to the end in case it get better but it was clear this book wasn't, as I see its the first in a series maybe it gets better the more books along but it's just not working in this one. I think the character is annoying what kind of women speaks so highly of herself and her whole attitude stunk I don't kn ...more
Jay S
Feb 03, 2016 Jay S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
OK, but I didn't "fall in love" with the characters.
Michele bookloverforever
zany, quirky characters....lots of action...
Todd Massie
didn't finish
Lynda Kelly
Jan 30, 2013 Lynda Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
Packed this one in, I'm afraid. I really quite disliked Stephanie. She was totally up herself and thought she was god's gift and I got cheesed off with all her silly little innuendoes.
Another aggravation was brand names being italicised. I've come across this before and don't know why authors do it.
They kept referring to 4 murders and at the time (34% in) there had been 5 and I got annoyed at that too.
Not one I'll be bothering with again.
Michele
Sep 18, 2011 Michele rated it it was amazing
Don't Close Your Eyes is about NYPD Detective Stephanie Chalice, who is working to crack a case about women of power being murdered. There are a lot of twists and turns which make you not want to put the book down. The characters interact well with one another. The ending sure surprised me! Lawrence Kelter's writing reminds me of David Baldacci, but better.
I would definitely recommend this book if you like thrillers.
Mishka
Mar 08, 2012 Mishka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this one explained a lot of stuff that didn't make sense in the second book...now I am skimming the second book just to refresh my brain. The mystery is pretty decently written but in both books in this series, he feels like he rushes the ending and just tries to explain everything and tidy it up.
Lili
Sep 04, 2012 Lili rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
The first chapter seemed quite interesting but in chapter two we are introduced to Stepanie Chalice and the narrative style changes. I found this book difficult to get into with the "sharp wit comments" and asides that get pretty boring. The book suffers from poor editing and a rambling convoluted plot.
Ruth
May 26, 2013 Ruth rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, crime-modern
2005: The first couple of pages were not bad at all. Then the 'heroine' popped up. What a dreadful characterisation. Really, really bad. After that, the plot could have been wonderful - and I could not have cared less. Not a book to purchase.
Diane Vissicchio
Sep 13, 2013 Diane Vissicchio rated it it was amazing
Detective Stephanie Chalice rocks! She is funny and lovable and tough as nails. A great, series that will consume you and make you laugh and scare the pants off you all at the same time. Must read!
Sara
Jan 29, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
It was okay. Not sure I will read any more in the series. But I might give it one more chance.
Peter
Aug 25, 2012 Peter rated it liked it
Good in parts - daft in others. I got to the end, but wasn't always sure I would.
Kay
Feb 25, 2012 Kay rated it liked it
A very good book.... some slow spots but well worth the read!
Larry Smith
Feb 25, 2012 Larry Smith rated it really liked it
Good read the book was suspensful and flowed well.
Dianne
Apr 07, 2013 Dianne rated it it was ok
Simple...
Janet
Jun 24, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
Alright
Susan Inman
Susan Inman marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Julie Harris
Julie Harris rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
  • The White Angel Murder
  • Death Comes Uninvited
  • Riptide
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • Night Game
  • Sandman
  • The Peacemaker (The Warriors of the Wind, Book 1)
  • A Night in the Cemetery and Other Stories of Crime & Suspense
  • The Pain Nurse: A Cincinnati Casebook  (Will Borders #1)
  • Dead to Writes
  • Secondary Targets
  • The Seduction of Lord Stone (Dashing Widows, #1)
  • SHADOW (Blue-Link, #1)
  • Kill & Cure
  • Dark Lullaby (Harbinger Mystery, #1.4)
  • The Shot To Die For (MP-5 CIA Thriller #2)
  • The Doomsday Survival Handbook: A Bucket List for Every Conceivable Apocalypse
  • Winter Wind
Lawrence Kelter is the bestselling author of the Stephanie Chalice Mystery Series. A resident New Yorker, born and raised in Brooklyn and residing on Long Island. He often uses Manhattan and Long Island as backdrops for his stories. He is the author of three novels featuring street savvy NYPD detective, Stephanie Chalice: Don't Close Your Eyes, Ransom Beach, and most recently, The Brain Vault. Ear ...more
More about Lawrence Kelter...

Stephanie Chalice Mystery (5 books)
  • Ransom Beach (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #2)
  • The Brain Vault (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #3)
  • Our Honored Dead (Stephanie Chalice #4)
  • Baby Girl Doe