Start by marking “Manila, My Manila” as Want to Read:
Manila, My Manila

Manila, My Manila

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A 'Pop' History for Manilans

In early 1988, then Mayor Mel Lopez invited Nick Joaquin to write a popular history of Manila that young Manilans would enjoy. The city's poet laureate--whose entire body of work sings of Manila as Homer sang of Troy and Virgil of Rome--complied with a will. The first
edition of Manila, My Manila (1990) was distributed exclusively to the city's s
Hardcover, Second Edition, 365 pages
Published June 24th 1999 by The Bookmark, Inc. (first published November 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Manila, My Manila, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manila, My Manila

Mica
Manila, My Manila (A History for the Young) by Nick Joaquin talks about Manila - the city and its people - from Pre-colonial until the the emergency of the Cory Aquino Administration.

Finishing every page makes me realize how much I do not know about my own history. As a Filipino and a Manila-girl (born, raised and educated in Manila and the surrounding cities), I can't believe each chapter can still make me go "So that's what happened".

Unfortunately, there is a flaw in the Filipino race (albeit
Katrina
Nick Joaquin ingenuously blends the old with the new with this history for the young Filipino people. Published in 1991, it is a landmark historical work, attempting to reconstruct history after the years of Martial Law and during the tumultuous years of the Aquino administration.

The author cites Morga's notes from the Sucesos and other sources of Spanish Manila and recreates the events as they have likely occurred. He provides a unique Philippine perspective in a history written by colonialist
Eric Zulueta
A history of the Philippines written by a Manileño (a Philippine National Artist for Literature) from the point of view of a Manila resident. This book gives great insight into the city and how it came to evolve into what it is today..

It was fun (and educational) to learn about the prominent personalities that helped mold Manila and its destiny.. This is a highly recommended material for anybody interested in Philippine history!
Katrine
This is a must-read book for anyone living in Manila. It's the wonderfully entertaining history of the capital. A light but insightful read. The book washes out a bit towards the end when describing the Marcos years
Ron
This book deserves to be read again. I love my Manila. Nick Joaquin should live forever if only to continue this book.
Barbie Dario
I want to read this book how can I reed this online!!!
Aida
excellent book. truly joaquin-ish
Diego Dela
Rocket
Rocket marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Herlyn Marquez
Herlyn Marquez marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Rachel A.
Rachel A. marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Ainylamadora
Ainylamadora marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Juan Jamon
Juan Jamon marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Hanley
Hanley marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Farlina Khan
Farlina Khan marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Bogdan
Bogdan marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Milan
Milan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Jhonabel Longos
Jhonabel Longos marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
blitheph
blitheph marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Larayne Michelle
Larayne Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Guilherme Mascarenh
Guilherme Mascarenh marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
  • Twisted Flicks
  • Isang Dipang Langit: Katipunan ng mga tula ni Amado V. Hernandez
  • The First Filipino
  • A Nation Aborted: Rizal, American Hegemony, and Philippine Nationalism
  • America Is in the Heart: A Personal History (Washington Paperbacks)
  • Pacific Rims: Beermen Ballin' in Flip-Flops and the Philippines' Unlikely Love Affair with Basketball
  • In Our Image: America's Empire in the Philippines
  • Leche
  • Trese: Stories from the Diabolical, Volume 1 (Trese: Stories from the Diabolical, #1)
  • Manila Noir
  • May Mga Lihim Kami ni Ingkong
Nicomedes Márquez Joaquín (May 4, 1917–April 29, 2004) was a Filipino writer, historian and journalist, best known for his short stories and novels in the English language. He also wrote using the pen name Quijano de Manila. Joaquin was conferred the rank and title of National Artist of the Philippines for Literature.

After Jose Rizal and Claro M. Recto, both writers in spanish language, he is cons
More about Nick Joaquín...
The Woman Who Had Two Navels May Day Eve and Other Stories A Question of Heroes Cave and Shadows A Portrait of the Artist as Filipino: An Elegy in Three Scenes