Start by marking “Manila, My Manila” as Want to Read:
Manila, My Manila

Manila, My Manila

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A 'Pop' History for Manilans

In early 1988, then Mayor Mel Lopez invited Nick Joaquin to write a popular history of Manila that young Manilans would enjoy. The city's poet laureate--whose entire body of work sings of Manila as Homer sang of Troy and Virgil of Rome--complied with a will. The first
edition of Manila, My Manila (1990) was distributed exclusively to the city's s
Hardcover, Second Edition, 365 pages
Published June 24th 1999 by The Bookmark, Inc. (first published November 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Manila, My Manila, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manila, My Manila

Mica
Manila, My Manila (A History for the Young) by Nick Joaquin talks about Manila - the city and its people - from Pre-colonial until the the emergency of the Cory Aquino Administration.

Finishing every page makes me realize how much I do not know about my own history. As a Filipino and a Manila-girl (born, raised and educated in Manila and the surrounding cities), I can't believe each chapter can still make me go "So that's what happened".

Unfortunately, there is a flaw in the Filipino race (albeit
Katrina
Nick Joaquin ingenuously blends the old with the new with this history for the young Filipino people. Published in 1991, it is a landmark historical work, attempting to reconstruct history after the years of Martial Law and during the tumultuous years of the Aquino administration.

The author cites Morga's notes from the Sucesos and other sources of Spanish Manila and recreates the events as they have likely occurred. He provides a unique Philippine perspective in a history written by colonialist
Eric Zulueta
A history of the Philippines written by a Manileño (a Philippine National Artist for Literature) from the point of view of a Manila resident. This book gives great insight into the city and how it came to evolve into what it is today..

It was fun (and educational) to learn about the prominent personalities that helped mold Manila and its destiny.. This is a highly recommended material for anybody interested in Philippine history!
Katrine
This is a must-read book for anyone living in Manila. It's the wonderfully entertaining history of the capital. A light but insightful read. The book washes out a bit towards the end when describing the Marcos years
Ron
This book deserves to be read again. I love my Manila. Nick Joaquin should live forever if only to continue this book.
Barbie Dario
I want to read this book how can I reed this online!!!
Aida
excellent book. truly joaquin-ish
Diego Dela
Salvie Escobar
Salvie Escobar marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Colin Marshall
Colin Marshall marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Janica Alyssa
Janica Alyssa marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Lonleyplanet marked it as to-read
Lonleyplanet
Lonleyplanet marked it as to-read
Azela Aquino
Azela Aquino marked it as to-read
Princess Danycka
Princess Danycka marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Jess Chamma
Jess Chamma marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Randle D.
Randle D. marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Jayvie
Jayvie marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Ermita: A Filipino Novel
  • Sundays in Manila
  • The Philippines: A Past Revisited
  • Meaning and History: The Rizal Lectures
  • The First Filipino
  • A Nation Aborted: Rizal, American Hegemony, and Philippine Nationalism
  • State of War
  • America Is in the Heart: A Personal History (Washington Paperbacks)
  • In Our Image: America's Empire in the Philippines
  • The Gangster of Love
  • Leche
  • Pacific Rims: Beermen Ballin' in Flip-Flops and the Philippines' Unlikely Love Affair with Basketball
  • Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog
  • Twisted II: Spawn of the Twisted
  • Utos Ng Hari At Iba Pang Kuwento
  • Soledad's Sister
  • Super Panalo Sounds!
Nicomedes Márquez Joaquín (May 4, 1917–April 29, 2004) was a Filipino writer, historian and journalist, best known for his short stories and novels in the English language. He also wrote using the pen name Quijano de Manila. Joaquin was conferred the rank and title of National Artist of the Philippines for Literature.

After Jose Rizal and Claro M. Recto, both writers in spanish language, he is cons
More about Nick Joaquín...
The Woman Who Had Two Navels May Day Eve and Other Stories A Question of Heroes Cave and Shadows A Portrait of the Artist as Filipino: An Elegy in Three Scenes