Start by marking “Manila, My Manila” as Want to Read:
Manila, My Manila

Manila, My Manila

A 'Pop' History for Manilans

In early 1988, then Mayor Mel Lopez invited Nick Joaquin to write a popular history of Manila that young Manilans would enjoy. The city's poet laureate--whose entire body of work sings of Manila as Homer sang of Troy and Virgil of Rome--complied with a will. The first
edition of Manila, My Manila (1990) was distributed exclusively to the city's s
Hardcover, Second Edition, 365 pages
Published June 24th 1999 by The Bookmark, Inc. (first published November 1990)

Nina
Jun 21, 2017 Nina rated it it was amazing
If you love Manila as much as I do, then this book is for you. Go deep into the country's capital and discover our history and what shaped Manila to be the city it is now.
Kaizerine Dela Cruz
Jul 06, 2017 Kaizerine Dela Cruz rated it it was amazing
I have always been in love with this city and Nick Joaquin captures its soul in Manila my Manila
Mica
Apr 04, 2012 Mica rated it really liked it
Manila, My Manila (A History for the Young) by Nick Joaquin talks about Manila - the city and its people - from Pre-colonial until the the emergency of the Cory Aquino Administration.

Finishing every page makes me realize how much I do not know about my own history. As a Filipino and a Manila-girl (born, raised and educated in Manila and the surrounding cities), I can't believe each chapter can still make me go "So that's what happened".

Unfortunately, there is a flaw in the Filipino race (albeit
Katrina
Nov 05, 2013 Katrina rated it really liked it
Nick Joaquin ingenuously blends the old with the new with this history for the young Filipino people. Published in 1991, it is a landmark historical work, attempting to reconstruct history after the years of Martial Law and during the tumultuous years of the Aquino administration.

The author cites Morga's notes from the Sucesos and other sources of Spanish Manila and recreates the events as they have likely occurred. He provides a unique Philippine perspective in a history written by colonialist
Eric Zulueta
Apr 02, 2012 Eric Zulueta rated it it was amazing
A history of the Philippines written by a Manileño (a Philippine National Artist for Literature) from the point of view of a Manila resident. This book gives great insight into the city and how it came to evolve into what it is today..

It was fun (and educational) to learn about the prominent personalities that helped mold Manila and its destiny.. This is a highly recommended material for anybody interested in Philippine history!
Mitch Hadjula-Sicat
May 10, 2016 Mitch Hadjula-Sicat rated it it was amazing
National Artist Nick Joaquin captured in 355 pages, our capital, Manila's rich history and culture that in turn shaped our country's destiny. Manila, My Manila resonates with loveliness and pride. Interesting trivias are intricately inter-woven in this narrative without sounding too scholarly. Hence, perfect for the history buffs in all of us.
Elaine
Jan 03, 2016 Elaine rated it really liked it
Excellent, vivid history of Manila -- from its earliest days as a settlement for Malay voyagers to the lush delta of the Pasig River, through the insurrection against the Spanish, the brutal days of Japanese occupation during World War II to Marcos -- by one of the Philippines' most illustrious writers Nick Joaquin. I loved it (and it helped that I was reading it in Manila).
Katrine
May 27, 2008 Katrine rated it liked it
This is a must-read book for anyone living in Manila. It's the wonderfully entertaining history of the capital. A light but insightful read. The book washes out a bit towards the end when describing the Marcos years
Diego Dela
Mike
Feb 03, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice take on the story and evolution of Manila - from Intramuros to the arrabales to Malacañang to Greater Manila and beyond - intertwined with anecdotes of important personalities and common folk.
Ron
Apr 19, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing
This book deserves to be read again. I love my Manila. Nick Joaquin should live forever if only to continue this book.
Aida
Aug 15, 2007 Aida rated it really liked it
excellent book. truly joaquin-ish
Barbie Dario
Jul 15, 2013 Barbie Dario rated it it was amazing
I want to read this book how can I reed this online!!!
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Chenyrosearcala
Chenyrosearcala rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Kimosabe
Kimosabe rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2013
Jona Lb
Jona Lb rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Jade
Jade rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2014
Angeli
Angeli rated it really liked it
May 30, 2012
Samantha Defensor
Samantha Defensor rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Arabella Dale
Arabella Dale rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2014
Sophia Salvador
Sophia Salvador rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Elylou
Elylou rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Rommel Ebalde
Rommel Ebalde rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2015
Pepe Alas
Pepe Alas rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2012
Kristel Opre
Kristel Opre rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Jaymee
Jaymee rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Fidel Rillo
Fidel Rillo rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2007
Jayson Troy
Jayson Troy rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Myra J.
Myra J. rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
  • Meaning and History: The Rizal Lectures
  • A Nation Aborted: Rizal, American Hegemony, and Philippine Nationalism
  • State of War
  • Twisted Flicks
  • Trese: Stories from the Diabolical, Volume 1 (Trese: Stories from the Diabolical, #1)
  • Isang Dipang Langit: Katipunan ng mga tula ni Amado V. Hernandez
  • Arkitekturang Filipino: A History of Architecture and Urbanism in the Philippines
  • Utos Ng Hari At Iba Pang Kuwento
  • The First Filipino
  • America Is in the Heart: A Personal History (Washington Paperbacks)
  • Desaparesidos
  • Muslims In The Philippines
  • 12 (Silent Comics)
  • Killing Time in a Warm Place
Nicomedes Márquez Joaquín (May 4, 1917–April 29, 2004) was a Filipino writer, historian and journalist, best known for his short stories and novels in the English language. He also wrote using the pen name Quijano de Manila. Joaquin was conferred the rank and title of National Artist of the Philippines for Literature.

After Jose Rizal and Claro M. Recto, both writers in spanish language, he is cons
More about Nick Joaquín...