The Woman Who Had Two Navels

The Woman Who Had Two Navels

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published 1991 by Bookmark, Inc.

K.D. Absolutely
Jul 07, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to K.D. by: Filipino Classic Books List
Shelves: local
”The identity of a Filipino today is of a person asking what is his identity.” - Nick Joaquin

When I bought this book a couple of months ago, I immediately skimmed the first two pages. I did think that this was a book about a female character with anatomical deformity and the book was about what caused the deformity and what should be done to correct it. I thought that this book would make me endlessly laugh.

Having formed that ridiculous image in my mind, I set this book aside. There were and t...more
jzhunagev
Aug 27, 2011 jzhunagev rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Filipino readers
Recommended to jzhunagev by: Sheryl
Past Engagements
(A Book Review of Nick Joaquin’s The Woman Who Had Two Navels)

In 1955, Nick Joaquin left the Philippines on a Rockefeller creative writing grant taking him to countries such as Spain, the United States, and Mexico. This two-year sojourn gave birth to his first novel inspired by an earlier, shorter work, The Woman Who Had Two Navels, published in 1961 having won the very first Harry Stonehill award.

A historic novel now considered a seminal work in Philippine Literature, it revolve...more
Rise
Mar 04, 2013 Rise added it
Shelves: 2013-favorites

Over damp Hong Kong the day dawned drizzling, astonishing with sunshine the first passengers huddled inside the ferries, luring them out on deck to spread cold fingers in the blond air and to smile excitedly (that night was full moon of the Chinese New Year) at the great rock city coming up across the black water, rising so fat and spongy in the splashing light the waterfront's belt of buildings looked like a cake, with alleys cutting deep into the icing and hordes of rickshaws vanishing like an
cel de Jesus
Sep 29, 2007 cel de Jesus rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
it's like watching a play..
Victoria
Considered as one of the best Philippine works of fiction in English, I found that I did not enjoy reading this work as much as I hoped to. At some point, I kept reading in the hopes that the story would become more interesting or that there would be some structure that would make more sense out of the story.
Jireh Lee
I read this when I was 8 years old or so, so I didn't really understand what it actually meant. Although, I thought it was rather excellent when I read it. I should probably re-read it sometime. I hope I can get a copy when I go back to the Philippines, since the two copies I had left was destroyed by Ondoy.
Gelo
This book's plot really dragged, but it was the "best" Filipino literature that I have read. Personally, I think it would be better if it was written as a short story with like, twenty or so pages.
Zeny May Dy Recidoro
I was a kid when I read this book. Probably, I was twelve or so. I also saw the short-story version (the short-story came first, then, upon a Rockefeller Grant, Joaquin expanded it into a novel).
Camille Tolentino
the words are really deep but it expresses such meaning...whop thought that two navels actually meant rebirths? It took a lot of effort to make me realize that...
Patrick
John Rey
I think that this book is more than about the Philippines and its history as other reviews suggest. Many allusions to events in the Philippine history was used but I guess they are there to contextualize "some things" in relation to one's personhood during those times. There are other topics about personhood discussed - like freedom, morality, etc. - and I think they are still relevant today as it was in the times when the plot is contextualized.

I think that the plot presents in an intricate yet...more
Ivan Labayne
Maybe the novel is about Joaquin's lengthy, sometimes unwieldy, then occupying, hen mystifying, then heart-purging sentences which could leave you wanting to be a single person, or wanting to see these words in Facebook posts, or wanting these words to be unclutered paintings in selfie photograpghs, btu maybe the novel is also about this: "we're all so involved in one another we can hardly drew a breath without making somebody suffer somewhere. In the end we all have to be rather callous and rut...more
Maria Ella
another high-school-compliance-read-this-or-else-zero-grade-in-report-card!

Good read. Concept of incepting an idea to a Filipino mind is not so great since the two-navel idea is not a good comparison with a typical Pinoy with two (or more) identities.

Little did I know is that the navels served as metaphor. :)
Erika
i tried to finish this book but i just cant! im really sorry. i cant understand anything because of the way the story keeps on returning to flashbacks and then to the present in a way that i couldn't quite keep track if what im reading is a flashback or the present. its really confusing!
Lex (Fastidious Reader)
So I had this book back then... But I didn't quite get it. I don't really enjoy reading back in 2003. But since I think my copy was missing, I don't know if I could read it. Although I'll try searching it when I wake up later. :)
Elizabeth Rae
Choosing between life and death.
Choosing between right and wrong.
Finding truth and freedom.
Being real and free. :)
Kiel Llaguno
very symbolic.
its clear because despite the use of flashbacks, it still has a smooth transition.
Simon Theodore
the symbol is quite easy to decode.. but still now, i haven't thought to internalize it more
Melijo Anthony Chan
rambling symbolism... superb characterization and conflict.
Aye de la Cruz
Ricah Lee
The best talaga si Nick Joaquin sobra....
Paul
Aug 16, 2008 Paul added it
i want to learn more
Goldie
Very interesting to read.
Dana Marie
Mar 08, 2013 Isay Romero is currently reading it
Shelves: story
Good.
Patricia A
Patricia A marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
  • 'Gapô (at isang puting Pilipino, sa mundo ng mga Amerikanong kulay brown)
  • Twisted
  • Last Seen After Midnight (Trese, #4)
  • The Pretenders (Rosales Saga, #4)
  • Ang Kagilagilalas na Pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsazsa Zaturnnah
  • Smaller and Smaller Circles
  • That Kind of Guy
  • Ilustrado
  • The Gangster of Love
  • Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog
  • El Filibusterismo (Subversion)
  • Mga Tagpong Tila Nagpapaka-Weird, Kunyari Pa-Deep, Sarap Sapakin… (Kikomachine Komix, #2)
  • Ang Tundo Man May Langit Din
  • Eating Fire and Drinking Water
  • It's a Mens World
  • America Is in the Heart: A Personal History (Washington Paperbacks)
  • When the Rainbow Goddess Wept
  • Without Seeing the Dawn
Nicomedes Márquez Joaquín (May 4, 1917–April 29, 2004) was a Filipino writer, historian and journalist, best known for his short stories and novels in the English language. He also wrote using the pen name Quijano de Manila. Joaquin was conferred the rank and title of National Artist of the Philippines for Literature.

After Jose Rizal and Claro M. Recto, both writers in spanish language, he is cons...more
More about Nick Joaquín...
May Day Eve and Other Stories A Question of Heroes Cave and Shadows A Portrait of the Artist as Filipino: An Elegy in Three Scenes Manila, My Manila

“When he had gone home, he had been frightened, he had refused to face what he saw. But he had not really wanted to come home to a land, only to a pas; and not finding the past there, he had run away, fearing the reality, preferring the dream.” 5 likes