Cave and Shadows

Cave and Shadows

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A classic from National Artist for Literature, Nick Joaquin, Cave and Shadows was first published in 1983, and this literary whodunit is still considered a must-read by students of Philippine Literature. The novel is set in motion by a mysterious death, and thrust onwards by the search for truth and the solution of the crime. Joaquin expertly weaves multi-layered meanings...more
272 pages
Published 1983

Christopher
Considered one of the most important works in Filipino literature, Cave and Shadows is a mystery/thriller that weaves together a host of contrasting elements (good/evil, Catholic/pagan, colonial/native, male/female, etc) around the story of the mysterious death of Nenita Coogan. Nenita is already dead when the novel begins (very much like "Laura Palmer" and I can't help wondering if Mark Frost and David Lynch didn't use this book when creating Twin Peaks, including some its high strangeness) but...more
Krizia Anna
I really really loved it. It started quite slow for me, it did not connect instantly. However, the book got into the good, juicy part. It was a really good political and religious mystery novel. You think you'll know what will happen next but everything turned out differently. Nick Joaquin is always one step ahead of you. It also has a bit of history which make it more interesting. It really got me interested in Filipino paganism (not in converting but in knowing more about it). If you're not a...more
Gersie Santillana
At first, I thought this is a horror novel. Because of a dead girl who randomly show herself.

This is about unearthing the inexplicable death of Nenita Coogan. I've a suspect in my mind, but honestly, I blamed the wrong one.
Ivan Labayne
this is real food on a splendid platter. now feel like am fangirling over villa, nope, nick joaquin. delicious time to finish this delicious novel: on a storm-battered early weekend when big glows were needed.

felt a little ashamed for making ra-ras about balzac and james joyce and angela carter when there was, THERE IS, nick joaquin standing while sweating-while-writing for philippine literature. once more: delicious novel.

Another thing: this made me interested in philippine paganism, sabi ni C...more
Guelan
Strange, surreal, and idiosyncratic; dark humor at the expense of zealous nationalism and Filipino nativism. The characters' motivations are just too ridiculous, one is inclined to believe Joaquin is pulling a long, elaborate joke - a joke that most people are sure to react to with the utmost (and unwelcome?) reverence and solemnity.
Carla
My favorite Filipino book! Started a bit slow reading the first few chapters, but once you've reached the middle part, I bet you're never gonna be able to stop. Love it!
Rise
A satisfying blend of history and detective story, Cave and Shadows investigates the death of a young woman found in a cave. There was no sign of foul play. She was found naked, and as if sleeping. There's an inner cave within cave, secret passages, neo-paganism, ritual sacrifices, cults and activists, converts and sinners. I think it has a lot to offer the readers of mystery and mysticism.

Full review at the following link:
Ivy Catherine
glob! poor Jack just lost everything... deym!!!

anyways... if you are a fan of Sherlock Holmes and tragedy... you'lll love this book!
omija xiao
`jack flew back to davao, a lonely man`
Aira Ramos
Rolaine Mae
Kblnan
Kblnan marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Mildred
Mildred marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Arl Florence
Arl Florence marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Nherea Salazar
Nherea Salazar marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Jonathan Sumaoang
Jonathan Sumaoang marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Gloria C.
Gloria C. marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Marison Angeles
Marison Angeles marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Bay
Bay marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Eikznyl Airallaf
Eikznyl Airallaf marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Jamie Nicole
Jamie Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Nicomedes Márquez Joaquín (May 4, 1917–April 29, 2004) was a Filipino writer, historian and journalist, best known for his short stories and novels in the English language. He also wrote using the pen name Quijano de Manila. Joaquin was conferred the rank and title of National Artist of the Philippines for Literature.

After Jose Rizal and Claro M. Recto, both writers in spanish language, he is cons...more
More about Nick Joaquín...
The Woman Who Had Two Navels May Day Eve and Other Stories A Question of Heroes A Portrait of the Artist as Filipino: An Elegy in Three Scenes Manila, My Manila

“The young look up to me as their feeder," said Alex. "Well, they can go look for another trough. I'm through with this hogwash."

"Are liberal ideas hogwash?"

"All ideas are hogwash, Jack."

"Don't you believe in anything anymore?"

"Sure. I believe in God the Father of Nonsense, creator of Crap and Nonsense, is now and ever shall be Crap without end. Oh, oh, Jack, how we break our hearts trying to make sense of a world that's pure and utter crap. But if you ever come to where I am now, you'll be surprised and delighted to find out how little anything matters."

"You've begun to sound Christian," said Pocholo.”
2 likes