Start by marking “Cave and Shadows” as Want to Read:
Cave and Shadows

Cave and Shadows

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  196 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A classic from National Artist for Literature, Nick Joaquin, Cave and Shadows was first published in 1983, and this literary whodunit is still considered a must-read by students of Philippine Literature. The novel is set in motion by a mysterious death, and thrust onwards by the search for truth and the solution of the crime. Joaquin expertly weaves multi-layered meanings ...more
272 pages
Published 1983

To ask other readers questions about Cave and Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cave and Shadows

Christopher
Jan 22, 2014 Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: lit-fiction
Considered one of the most important works in Filipino literature, Cave and Shadows is a mystery/thriller that weaves together a host of contrasting elements (good/evil, Catholic/pagan, colonial/native, male/female, etc) around the story of the mysterious death of Nenita Coogan. Nenita is already dead when the novel begins (very much like "Laura Palmer" and I can't help wondering if Mark Frost and David Lynch didn't use this book when creating Twin Peaks, including some its high strangeness) but ...more
Krizia Anna
Mar 01, 2011 Krizia Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nick-joaquin
I really really loved it. It started quite slow for me, it did not connect instantly. However, the book got into the good, juicy part. It was a really good political and religious mystery novel. You think you'll know what will happen next but everything turned out differently. Nick Joaquin is always one step ahead of you. It also has a bit of history which make it more interesting. It really got me interested in Filipino paganism (not in converting but in knowing more about it). If you're not a ...more
Gersie Santillana
Jun 06, 2012 Gersie Santillana rated it it was amazing
At first, I thought this is a horror novel. Because of a dead girl who randomly show herself.

This is about unearthing the inexplicable death of Nenita Coogan. I've a suspect in my mind, but honestly, I blamed the wrong one.
Ivan Labayne
Sep 23, 2013 Ivan Labayne rated it it was amazing
this is real food on a splendid platter. now feel like am fangirling over villa, nope, nick joaquin. delicious time to finish this delicious novel: on a storm-battered early weekend when big glows were needed.

felt a little ashamed for making ra-ras about balzac and james joyce and angela carter when there was, THERE IS, nick joaquin standing while sweating-while-writing for philippine literature. once more: delicious novel.

Another thing: this made me interested in philippine paganism, sabi ni C
Guelan
Oct 22, 2013 Guelan rated it liked it
Strange, surreal, and idiosyncratic; dark humor at the expense of zealous nationalism and Filipino nativism. The characters' motivations are just too ridiculous, one is inclined to believe Joaquin is pulling a long, elaborate joke - a joke that most people are sure to react to with the utmost (and unwelcome?) reverence and solemnity.
Carla
Mar 29, 2013 Carla rated it really liked it
My favorite Filipino book! Started a bit slow reading the first few chapters, but once you've reached the middle part, I bet you're never gonna be able to stop. Love it!
Dominic Dayta
Mar 16, 2016 Dominic Dayta rated it liked it
Shelves: loved-it, local, asian
After a teenage girl is found dead inside a locked cave, her estranged father, Jack Henson, comes to Manila to investigate. Together with his old friends Pocholo Gatmaitan, who is now the mayor, and Alex Manzano, who is a supporter and financer of student activists, he drifts through Manila searching for clues that might unlock the mystery that wraps his daughter’s demise. Along the way he finds himself socializing with politicians, activists, paganists, a prostitute, and a wealthy old man who a ...more
Elma O.
bcnxzbgcjhgszdcfgbdshgchsdbscfsdc
Ryan
Jan 05, 2011 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dec-2010
A satisfying blend of history and detective story, Cave and Shadows investigates the death of a young woman found in a cave. There was no sign of foul play. She was found naked, and as if sleeping. There's an inner cave within cave, secret passages, neo-paganism, ritual sacrifices, cults and activists, converts and sinners. I think it has a lot to offer the readers of mystery and mysticism.

Full review at the following link:
Look See
Aug 28, 2015 Look See marked it as to-read
pretty
Ackoe C
Jan 12, 2015 Ackoe C marked it as to-read
guiltlessreader
Jan 24, 2016 guiltlessreader rated it liked it
I've only read Joaquin's short stories and have gotten a feel for how he melds Philippines folklore with history. This novel explores both, surprisingly within a political and religious whodunit.. Full review on my blog Guiltless Reading!

First read: Dec 2014.
Reread: March 2015.
Ivy Catherine
Jun 21, 2013 Ivy Catherine rated it really liked it
glob! poor Jack just lost everything... deym!!!

anyways... if you are a fan of Sherlock Holmes and tragedy... you'lll love this book!
shan
Jul 13, 2013 shan rated it it was amazing
`jack flew back to davao, a lonely man` ...more
Aira Ramos
Michael
Feb 19, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
its good
Mark Kaven
Mark Kaven rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Michdizon
Michdizon marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Jay Gabriel
Jay Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Eloisa
Eloisa marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Guiller Manalansan
Guiller Manalansan rated it did not like it
May 07, 2016
Bernhard Kappe
Bernhard Kappe marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Nariza
Nariza marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
  • Soledad's Sister
  • State of War
  • Twisted Travels
  • Banana Heart Summer
  • Sundays in Manila
  • Dusk (Rosales Saga, #1)
  • The Bread of Salt and Other Stories
  • The Kite of Stars and Other Stories
  • 101 Stories on the Philippine Revolution
  • 12 (Silent Comics)
  • Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag
  • The Praying Man: A Novel
  • Dekada '70 (Ang Orihinal at Kumpletong Edisyon)
  • Super Panalo Sounds!
  • Arkitekturang Filipino: A History of Architecture and Urbanism in the Philippines
  • The Hand of the Enemy
  • Catch A Falling Star
Nicomedes Márquez Joaquín (May 4, 1917–April 29, 2004) was a Filipino writer, historian and journalist, best known for his short stories and novels in the English language. He also wrote using the pen name Quijano de Manila. Joaquin was conferred the rank and title of National Artist of the Philippines for Literature.

After Jose Rizal and Claro M. Recto, both writers in spanish language, he is cons
More about Nick Joaquín...

“The young look up to me as their feeder," said Alex. "Well, they can go look for another trough. I'm through with this hogwash."

"Are liberal ideas hogwash?"

"All ideas are hogwash, Jack."

"Don't you believe in anything anymore?"

"Sure. I believe in God the Father of Nonsense, creator of Crap and Nonsense, is now and ever shall be Crap without end. Oh, oh, Jack, how we break our hearts trying to make sense of a world that's pure and utter crap. But if you ever come to where I am now, you'll be surprised and delighted to find out how little anything matters."

"You've begun to sound Christian," said Pocholo.”
3 likes