Pooh And The Philosophers

Pooh And The Philosophers

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  620 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In this splendidly preposterous volume, John Tyerman Williams sets out to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the whole of Western philosophy--from the ancient Greeks to the existentialists of this century--may be found in the works of A. A. Milne. Williams shows how Pooh--referred to here as "the Great Bear"--explains and illuminates the most profound ideas of the grea...more
Unknown Binding
Published January 1st 1995 by Methuen Publishing

Farah
satu lagi buku yang gue baca tentang filsafat.
Jujur aja, waktu pertama kali gue baca buku ini, gue berpikir, "udah sakit jiwa nih yang nulis.."

I mean, kenapa Winnie the Pooh ini bisa disambung-sambungin ama filsuf dan filsafat sih?

Tapi kemudian, timbul suatu kesadaran di dalam diri gue, yang membuat gue tersadar dari rutinitas kehidupan gue sehari-hari (sama seperti Sophie saat dia menerima pertanyaan, "Siapakah kamu?" huahauhuahuahuahuahuahua).

Intinya sih, yang bikin gue sadar adalah filsafat i...more
Ronald Barba
I have never written a review this long.

I could not put this book down...if only because I couldn't wait to finish it and not have to deal with Williams anymore. I cahhnt. I don't even know where to start. Dafuq is wrong with you people? This was terrible.

There is a difference between a reader of philosophy and a student of philosophy. A reader of philosophy is precisely that: a reader; he/she reads books and essays of philosophy out of his/her own volition and out of genuine interest. A stude...more
D.J. Greenberg
All in all this book was an average book - it is a brief introduction to the classical world of Winnie-the-Pooh (not that Disney recreation) and western philosophy. What it does not do is go into any great detail on either area. It's tone is also extremely sarcastic and at time hostile towards the philosophers (the section on Sartre should be viewed as a direct attack, not an unbiased analysis). The book does one thing, however, which redeems it for all of its many short comings - it shows the r...more
Tra-Kay
The fantastic thing about this book is that not only does it humorously discuss the Pooh stories and the philosophers in a deeply knowledgeable and self-mocking, abstract yet lucid manner; but also actually critiques the philosophies and gives opinions about them. This is no mere "Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar" "let's introduce concepts with fun stuff" book. THIS, my fellow readers, is a Scholar Fucking Around.

I actually learned a fair bit and was inspired as well, because the lessons we...more
Kayla Gutierrez
At first, I wasn’t sure whether to take this author’s stance seriously; that Winnie the Pooh, the honey-loving bear in the Hundred Acre Woods, is actually representative of Aristotle who tries to enlighten the friends around him that the earth is round, and that his search for honey is symbolic of his search for the truth. A far-fetched idea written in a subty assuming manner, the book is entertaining, especially when the author depicts Eeyore as a follower of Neitszche and ties the major philos...more
Chandra
I made a second reading through this one (as unnecessary prep for an ethics course in which actual participation in what could be described as discussion was highly discouraged) and I was again struck by how little the book actually has to do with philosophy. It's great for lovers of Pooh (among whom I don't normally count myself) but disappointing for anyone seeking an overview of Western philosophy in any meaningful fashion. Pompously written to the point of amusement is it still an enjoyable...more
Mae
Interesting funny book. Peculiar sometimes, but interesting. It is actually a serious book, but inevitably I had to laugh--the basic premise is that all philosophers in one way of another were inspired by Pooh.
I mean, Pooh is certainly a wise bear and Milne a brilliant philosopher. But some of the situations used, where, well should I say a bit convoluted and brought in by the hair. (like we say in spanish)
It is a good review for basic philosophy, and could be used as a conversation starter... b...more
Heidi
Brilliant. Anyone who has any appreciation for the World of Pooh bear should read this. Basically a quick survey of Western Philosophy as expounded by and summed up by and even exceeded by Edward Bear. By the time I got to the exploration of set theory as demonstrated by rabbit's "friends and relations" I had decided it would be one of my new favourites :o) (And I've just seen online that John Tyerman Williams is currently working on a book which "will reveal the secret of Jeeves and the hidden...more
Linda
I put this book down. I only understood about 1/2 of what I was reading, and enjoying what I understood. But, I'm not up on philosophy jargon and didn't appreciate the writer insulting his readers, and throwing condescending remarks to those of us who read Pooh to our children. I also felt that he was stretching many of his points by taking the same scenes and applying them to different philosophers. I admit to being too dumb for this book, but smart enough to know when something is being overdo...more
Don Murphy
Have a philosophy major and serving coffee not making ends meet? Do what the majority of other philosophy majors have done and write a book about Pooh! Why not. There's enough room to fit just about any topic and connect Pooh to it. What's next - Pooh and the Nazis? How about Pooh and the NHL coaches? Or, Pooh and the Archetypal Strippers. How is Eeyore like the over-the-hill prostitute? Now, write a book about it!
Angela
Much too tedious for me to finish. I just am not interested in what the author has to say, even though it is an intriguing way of looking at philosophy. And, of course, I love Winnie the Pooh. It felt that this book was a text book with too many technicalities and not enough pooh. Good idea though, bad presentation.
Virginia Brace
Rob Craig told me he found this book at a used bookstore recently and was enjoying it. It is a delight and revelation to lovers of the bear and also hold meaning and enjoyment for lovers of philosophy. I am looking forward to reading it and Pooh (again).
Felicia Flaum
Another awesome philosophical read. It was quite insightful and provided an great review for the philosophers teachings. Highly reconmend to any who are looking for an off-beat and fun read that brings with it so much more than just education.....
Katie
This book is kinda hard to judge. The writer did one hell of a job in researching. The information about philosophers was amazing. But when he applied it on the story of Pooh, I found most of the links too forced and quite unbelievable.
Not my favorite. I actually only got through 1/3 of it before I realized that it made philosophy seem boring and irrelevant. I need some more books on the subject that peak my interest a la Sophie's World.
Ian
The title says it all...you won't enjoy this unless you know some technical philosophy labels like the difference between empiricists and rationalists, etc. but if you do...it's great fun.
Ben Nash
Pooh and the Philosophers is aimed at Pooh lovers, not the general audience the author believes. But, for those lovers, it'll be a lot of fun. I'd add another star for them.
Meaghan
this is for all my philosophy friends...absolutely hysterical joke. although loving philosophy, you might hate this book. personally I rather enjoyed it.
Daisy
Really great stuff: witty, interesting and I love to read something from the perspective of someone who is as enchanted by The Great Bear as I am.
Morrígan
I can't really tell if we are supposed to take it seriously or as a joke. Either way extremely fun and very informative.
Ariella
"Obviously Kant needed Winnie-the-Pooh to clarify his own obscure prose."

Yup, one of the more ridiculous books I've read.
Anna
New point of view on Winnie the Pooh. It makes you read the story about a bear with a little mind in a different way.
MacDara Conroy
So Winnie-the-Pooh is Nietzsche? Who woulda thunk it?? Well it seems A.A. Milne did.
Hana Tandjung
Sep 28, 2007 Hana Tandjung rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PhiLosophers, Thinkers, Historians
I Like this book! I reaLLy do.
I Learned a Lot from Eeyore.
Snufkin
3.5- doesn't quite get the link to stick sometimes
Catherine
Nov 06, 2007 Catherine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
read it, enjoyed it but so long ago i need to reread it!
Alicia
another book you can pick up and put down whenever...
Tamara
Cute way of explaining theories of philosophy.
Randy
Not for me. Did not finish.
  • 365 Tao: Daily Meditations
  • Hua Hu Ching: The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu
  • Pooh's Little Instruction Book
  • The Tao of Inner Peace
  • The Te Of Piglet (The Wisdom Of Pooh)
  • The Way of Chuang Tzu
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • The Essential Tao
  • South Park and Philosophy: You Know, I Learned Something Today (Blackwell Philosophy & Pop Culture) (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
  • Tao: The Watercourse Way
  • The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya
  • The Bad Girl's Guide to the Open Road
  • Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World's Great Physicists
  • Introducing Philosophy
Pooh and the Psychologists Pooh and the Millenium Jenseits Von Pu Und Böse: Der Bär Von Enormem Verstand Und Die Philosophie Pooh and the Ancient Mysteries (Wisdom of Pooh) Pooh and the Magicians (The wisdom of Pooh)