Start by marking “Undead: Revived, Resuscitated, Reborn” as Want to Read:
Undead: Revived, Resuscitated, Reborn

Undead: Revived, Resuscitated, Reborn

“I don’t think there is anything scarier to me than the thought that life is absolutely meaningless. If that’s true then I die now, a spiritual death that devours me from the inside and leaves me as nothing more than a zombie with a coffee mug in my hand morning after morning wondering what it even means to be alive. Merely existing is not living.” ~ Clay Morgan

Have you ev
Published September 1st 2012 by Abingdon Press

To ask other readers questions about Undead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undead

Sep 15, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing
Great book! And im not just saying that because i illustrated it!!!
David Crumm
Aug 27, 2012 David Crumm rated it it was amazing
Light Up Your Congregation with the Undead. (Seriously.)

The Undead are more popular than ever! Zombies are stars on TV through series like AMC’s The Walking Dead. The Twilight odometer continues to spin with another blockbuster movie debuting in late 2012. Across 600 college campuses, HvZ (Humans vs. Zombies, a sort of long-running “tag” game) is played by thousands of young men and women. And comics? Comics and graphic novels love zombies, vampires, ghouls and all manner of undead creatures.

Julie Davis
Oct 01, 2012 Julie Davis rated it liked it
I read this for the Patheos Book Club*. Clay Morgan uses our current fascination with zombies, vampires, and other undead figures to draw parallels with the need to come fully alive in our Christian spiritual life. He is engaging, interesting writer and Undead is an easy, fast read. I enjoyed the way that Morgan would segue from pop culture supernatural to his life and then bring it home to Christ and personal points we all can ponder about our own faith. This was always done with a light but si ...more
Leanne Shirtliffe
Sep 24, 2012 Leanne Shirtliffe rated it it was amazing
When I first heard about the concept of Clay Morgan’s book—zombie nonfiction!—I laughed. What the heck is zombie nonfiction, anyway? Well, now that I’ve read UNDEAD, let me tell you: zombie nonfiction is highly entertaining.

UNDEAD is peppered with whimsical and brilliant pop culture references, from oldies like The Wizard of Oz and Michael’s Jackson’s Thriller (is that old?) to newer references like The Walking Dead and the rescue of 33 Chilean miners in 2010.

The bigger picture, though, that Mor
John Otte
Feb 11, 2013 John Otte rated it it was amazing
An excellent exploration on the themes of life, death, rebirth, and resurrection in the Bible, overlayed with musings about zombies, vampires, and other undead creatures. A truly excellent book!
Sep 23, 2012 Randy rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot. Full review is coming soon. I'm sorting through all my thoughts and revelations right now.
Oct 10, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect when I agreed to read Clay Morgan's debut book: "Undead: Revived, Resuscitated, and Reborn."

Well, that's not entirely true. I was familiar with Morgan's blog so I knew that it would be funny, relevant, truthful, and full of pop culture references. But a Christian non-fiction book about being undead? What was up with THAT? And zombies*? Really?

I read it anyway.

I didn't expect to like the book half as much as I did. But the thing was, once I started it, I couldn't pu
Oct 17, 2012 Chad rated it it was amazing
Stephen King’s Danse Macabre is a scholarly yet accessible study of the horror genre published some thirty years ago. King knows his stuff, and it shows. The scope of his book is vast, encompassing nearly all things horror from the the last (at the time) thirty years–books, films, etc.

In his introduction, King calls the book his Final Statement on the genre. It is indeed a book length paean to a genre he so obviously loves. In the book, he contends that “horror appeals to us because it says, in
Oct 08, 2012 Larry rated it really liked it
Throughout history it seems we as humans have carried a fascination with death, dying, and the possibilty of coming back from the dead.

Today you don’t have to look very far to find stories of zombies or vampires - the “undead”. What is it about the undead that fascinates us so much? What can we learn about ourselves from this fascination?

What if we have actually been created with eternity in mind? What if physical death is not necessarily the end after all? Where can we discover this hope of bec
Jan 09, 2016 Hank rated it really liked it
This was a fun book, very quirky, yet deeply thought-provoking. I have enjoyed the author's hosting on the podcast THE STORYMEN, and picked up this book after it was referenced on another podcast I listen to, and the title was chosen as this years theme for a youth conference young people from my church will be attending in the near future.

The author mixes in pop culture references and Bible stories in a way that opens the latter up to a fresh reexamination of the latter and leads the reader to
Mandi Bean
Jan 05, 2014 Mandi Bean rated it it was ok
I mistakenly picked up this book thinking it was of the horror genre, but must admit I was pleasantly surprised to find religious material infused with pop culture and humor in a unique and interesting way. That being said, and as a Roman Catholic reader, I was frustrated by the lack of certainty in the prose. I felt as if the author did not clearly state his findings and dealt with many vague ideas, perhaps playing it safe. I feel I should also mention that I read this book during the sudden an ...more
Melanie E
Oct 09, 2012 Melanie E rated it it was amazing
I loved the pop culture references and found myself laughing before the introduction was over. I was transported to a land of zombies, but also loved the link between emotional tombs and spiritual tombs. One of my favorite quotes was: Zombies lead a very active lifestyle. So should you (Zombieland)

I also liked Morgan's easy way of taking me to the time when Jesus physically walked the earth and healed many zombies (like Lazarus). I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this book - I devoured
May 21, 2016 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
An interesting, quick read for a church book study. I think it's best suited for college kids and twenty-somethings, or at least zombie and vampire lovers, because it was full of movie and tv references that didn't really speak to me personally. The ultimate message was a good one, though - don't be a spiritual zombie...choose to live the life God created you to live.
Tyler Hess
Mar 13, 2013 Tyler Hess rated it it was amazing
I was somewhat leery of reading a book about Undead monsters such as vampires and zombies, but I wanted to give the subject matter a chance to see how it related to the Bible. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn't have to be an expert on such matters to enjoy the author's take on life, death, and the eternal.
Melanie Wilson
Oct 17, 2012 Melanie Wilson rated it it was amazing

Fascinating psychological, historical, scientific, and biblical look at zombies. I'm better informed and more inspired than ever in my faith. Perfect for young adults, those no longer active in church, and anyone into creepy stuff. Full review on my blog
Feb 03, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing
Great book. Looks at 6 deaths and 6 subsequent resurrections in scripture. This cultural look at death is ripe with funny anecdotes and pop culture references. The notes at the end of each chapter (in the ebook format) is worth the book itself. Grab a copy and have a laugh at death's expense.
Lisa Wich
Oct 24, 2013 Lisa Wich rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and such an interesting perspective- got it for my husband because he could relate to the layout and it was well received. Brilliant to incorporate the walking dead with a book about Christianity. Any book that reaches a forgotten audience and makes relevant sense gets my support!
Mar 01, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This was a very well written book. I really enjoyed it. I loved Mr. Morgans' perception on death and I loved the quotes he included in it. I offered it to my friends and they all loved it as well.
Kim rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
JR. Forasteros
JR. Forasteros rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Carla rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2013
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2012
Heidi rated it it was ok
May 24, 2013
Pauldazet rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Sasha rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Adam Horseman
Adam Horseman rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Kyle rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2012
Maria rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Jordin rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
  • Programming Interactivity: A Designer's Guide to Processing, Arduino, and Openframeworks
  • Poetry as Survival
  • Kicking In the Wall: A Year of Writing Exercises, Prompts, and Quotes to Help You Break Through Your Blocks and Reach Your Writing Goals
  • Learning Processing: A Beginner's Guide to Programming Images, Animation, and Interaction
  • Making Art a Practice: How to Be the Artist You Are
  • Big World
  • Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart
  • Your Jesus Is Too Safe: Outgrowing a Drive-Thru, Feel Good Savior
  • Life Is Mostly Edges: A Memoir
Clay Morgan uses pop culture, history, and humor to help us think through confusing topics and come up with answers to life's tough questions. He is the author of Undead: Revived, Resuscitated, and Reborn. In addition to writing and speaking, he teaches history and political science courses at three colleges in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

A proud Gen Xer, Clay believes that most everything can be exp
More about Clay Morgan...