Start by marking “Undead: Revived, Resuscitated, Reborn” as Want to Read:
Undead: Revived, Resuscitated, Reborn

Undead: Revived, Resuscitated, Reborn

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  16 reviews
“I don’t think there is anything scarier to me than the thought that life is absolutely meaningless. If that’s true then I die now, a spiritual death that devours me from the inside and leaves me as nothing more than a zombie with a coffee mug in my hand morning after morning wondering what it even means to be alive. Merely existing is not living.” ~ Clay Morgan

Have you ev...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Abingdon Press

To ask other readers questions about Undead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undead

Gary
Great book! And im not just saying that because i illustrated it!!!
David Crumm
Light Up Your Congregation with the Undead. (Seriously.)

The Undead are more popular than ever! Zombies are stars on TV through series like AMC’s The Walking Dead. The Twilight odometer continues to spin with another blockbuster movie debuting in late 2012. Across 600 college campuses, HvZ (Humans vs. Zombies, a sort of long-running “tag” game) is played by thousands of young men and women. And comics? Comics and graphic novels love zombies, vampires, ghouls and all manner of undead creatures.

Goo...more
Julie Davis
I read this for the Patheos Book Club*. Clay Morgan uses our current fascination with zombies, vampires, and other undead figures to draw parallels with the need to come fully alive in our Christian spiritual life. He is engaging, interesting writer and Undead is an easy, fast read. I enjoyed the way that Morgan would segue from pop culture supernatural to his life and then bring it home to Christ and personal points we all can ponder about our own faith. This was always done with a light but si...more
Leanne Shirtliffe
When I first heard about the concept of Clay Morgan’s book—zombie nonfiction!—I laughed. What the heck is zombie nonfiction, anyway? Well, now that I’ve read UNDEAD, let me tell you: zombie nonfiction is highly entertaining.

UNDEAD is peppered with whimsical and brilliant pop culture references, from oldies like The Wizard of Oz and Michael’s Jackson’s Thriller (is that old?) to newer references like The Walking Dead and the rescue of 33 Chilean miners in 2010.

The bigger picture, though, that Mor...more
Randy
I liked it a lot. Full review is coming soon. I'm sorting through all my thoughts and revelations right now.
Caitlin
I didn't know what to expect when I agreed to read Clay Morgan's debut book: "Undead: Revived, Resuscitated, and Reborn."

Well, that's not entirely true. I was familiar with Morgan's blog so I knew that it would be funny, relevant, truthful, and full of pop culture references. But a Christian non-fiction book about being undead? What was up with THAT? And zombies*? Really?

I read it anyway.

I didn't expect to like the book half as much as I did. But the thing was, once I started it, I couldn't pu...more
Chad
Stephen King’s Danse Macabre is a scholarly yet accessible study of the horror genre published some thirty years ago. King knows his stuff, and it shows. The scope of his book is vast, encompassing nearly all things horror from the the last (at the time) thirty years–books, films, etc.

In his introduction, King calls the book his Final Statement on the genre. It is indeed a book length paean to a genre he so obviously loves. In the book, he contends that “horror appeals to us because it says, in...more
Larry
Throughout history it seems we as humans have carried a fascination with death, dying, and the possibilty of coming back from the dead.

Today you don’t have to look very far to find stories of zombies or vampires - the “undead”. What is it about the undead that fascinates us so much? What can we learn about ourselves from this fascination?

What if we have actually been created with eternity in mind? What if physical death is not necessarily the end after all? Where can we discover this hope of bec...more
Hank
This was a fun book, very quirky, yet deeply thought-provoking. I have enjoyed the author's hosting on the podcast THE STORYMEN, and picked up this book after it was referenced on another podcast I listen to, and the title was chosen as this years theme for a youth conference young people from my church will be attending in the near future.

The author mixes in pop culture references and Bible stories in a way that opens the latter up to a fresh reexamination of the latter and leads the reader to...more
Mandi Bean
I mistakenly picked up this book thinking it was of the horror genre, but must admit I was pleasantly surprised to find religious material infused with pop culture and humor in a unique and interesting way. That being said, and as a Roman Catholic reader, I was frustrated by the lack of certainty in the prose. I felt as if the author did not clearly state his findings and dealt with many vague ideas, perhaps playing it safe. I feel I should also mention that I read this book during the sudden an...more
Melanie E
I loved the pop culture references and found myself laughing before the introduction was over. I was transported to a land of zombies, but also loved the link between emotional tombs and spiritual tombs. One of my favorite quotes was: Zombies lead a very active lifestyle. So should you (Zombieland)

I also liked Morgan's easy way of taking me to the time when Jesus physically walked the earth and healed many zombies (like Lazarus). I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this book - I devoured...more
Tyler Hess
I was somewhat leery of reading a book about Undead monsters such as vampires and zombies, but I wanted to give the subject matter a chance to see how it related to the Bible. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn't have to be an expert on such matters to enjoy the author's take on life, death, and the eternal.
Lisa Wich
Loved this book and such an interesting perspective- got it for my husband because he could relate to the layout and it was well received. Brilliant to incorporate the walking dead with a book about Christianity. Any book that reaches a forgotten audience and makes relevant sense gets my support!
Paul
Great book. Looks at 6 deaths and 6 subsequent resurrections in scripture. This cultural look at death is ripe with funny anecdotes and pop culture references. The notes at the end of each chapter (in the ebook format) is worth the book itself. Grab a copy and have a laugh at death's expense.
Melanie Wilson

Fascinating psychological, historical, scientific, and biblical look at zombies. I'm better informed and more inspired than ever in my faith. Perfect for young adults, those no longer active in church, and anyone into creepy stuff. Full review on my blog psychowith6.com.
John Otte
An excellent exploration on the themes of life, death, rebirth, and resurrection in the Bible, overlayed with musings about zombies, vampires, and other undead creatures. A truly excellent book!
guineviere ann
guineviere ann marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
William Mckinley
William Mckinley marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Brent
Brent is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2014
Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Hannah Elizabeth
Hannah Elizabeth is currently reading it
May 07, 2014
Jake Justen
Jake Justen marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Noel
Noel marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Clay Morgan uses pop culture, history, and humor to help us think through confusing topics and come up with answers to life's tough questions. He is the author of Undead: Revived, Resuscitated, and Reborn. In addition to writing and speaking, he teaches history and political science courses at three colleges in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

A proud Gen Xer, Clay believes that most everything can be exp...more
More about Clay Morgan...