Start by marking “The Novels of Charles Williams” as Want to Read:
The Novels of Charles Williams

The Novels of Charles Williams

The fanciful novels of Charles Williams have long fascinated a rather elite reading public - T.S. Eliot, W.H. Auden and C.S. Lewis for example, were among his great admirers. But those books - which include The Place of the Lion, Descent into Hell, and All Hallows' Eve - are also dense and perplexing, and even the writer's fondest devotees have found the meanings of his fi ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Wipf & Stock Publishers (first published April 28th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Novels of Charles Williams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Novels of Charles Williams

booklady
May 14, 2014 booklady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charles Williams fans
My friend, Julie reminded me about this very helpful reference for any reader of Charles Williams. It is arranged with an Into (about the author) and then chapters for each of the 7 novels.

Back in 2005, I read the sections about the author and 2 novels. Most of the information about the books is thematic and general in nature but does include plot explanatory material, extremely helpful when reading Williams, who most find difficult to follow.

Howard is upfront, even blunt about the vagueness a
Chris Zull
Dec 30, 2015 Chris Zull rated it really liked it
I've not actually read this whole book, but have completed the chapters on the novels of Williams' that I have to this point read (War in Heaven, Many Dimensions, The Place of the Lion, The Greater Trumps), and I feel that makes me qualified to give Howard's book a rating. Thomas Howard (a Catholic convert and brother to famous Evangelical Elisabeth Elliot) wrote his doctoral thesis on Charles Williams, which certainly makes him as qualified as anyone for the project he undertakes herein.

Fans of
Gil Gilliam
Apr 21, 2015 Gil Gilliam rated it it was amazing
A fantastic resource for those wanting to begin to understand all the themes and messages within his novels. I'm headed to step 3 of the 3 step process: 1. Read novel 2. Read chapter about novel in this book 3. Re-read novel
Rhonda
Aug 10, 2012 Rhonda is currently reading it
Back in the late '80's I read all Williams' novels that Eerdmans reprinted a few years earlier. Now I'm trying to re-read them and then read Howard's chapter on that novel. I think Howard goes a little too easy on Williams for the train wreck that was Shadows of Ecstasy, which was his first novel. I'll update with good quotes as I go along; I finished The Place of the Lion and Descent Into Hell on vacation, so those are next.
Andrew Stout
Jul 21, 2011 Andrew Stout rated it liked it
Very helpful in elucidating Williams' fascinating obscurity. I think that Howard tries too hard to downplay Williams' fascination with the occult, almost to the point of denying that he had any interest in it at all. This is clearly not true, made all the more evident by the number of times that Howard finds it necessary to address the issue.
Fonch
Fonch marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Kerim
Kerim marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Charlielous
Charlielous marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Kassandraoftroy
Kassandraoftroy marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Brett Gudeman
Brett Gudeman rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
The Docta
The Docta marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Farman
Farman marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Shannon Lise
Shannon Lise rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Jbfricks
Jbfricks marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Christy Key-sturlaugson
Christy Key-sturlaugson marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Beth
Beth added it
Jan 05, 2016
Brandon Drake
Brandon Drake marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Denise Gordon
Denise Gordon marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Randy Atchison
Randy Atchison rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Andrea Shortal
Andrea Shortal rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Jean
Jean added it
Jul 25, 2015
Maria Stromberg
Maria Stromberg rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2015
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
david reid
david reid rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Sean Stevens
Sean Stevens marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Sørina
Sørina rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Thomas Howard (b. 1935) is a highly acclaimed writer and scholar.

He was raised in a prominent Evangelical home (his sister is well-known author and former missionary Elisabeth Elliot), became Episcopalian in his mid-twenties, then entered the Catholic Church in 1985, at the age of fifty. At the time, his conversion shocked many in evangelical circles, and was the subject of a feature article in th
More about Thomas Howard...