Pug, l'apprenti (Les chroniques de Krondor, #1)

Pug, l'apprenti (The Riftwar Saga #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  38,189 ratings  ·  789 reviews
Pug est un apprenti dans le château du Duc de Crydee dans le royaume de Krondor, sur Midkemia. Son maître est Kulgan le magicien de la cour. Mais si Pug est indéniablement doué pour la magie, aucune des formes que l'on donne à cet art en Krondor ne semble lui convenir. Il lui faudra changer de monde pour trouver sa voie et apprendre d'un magicien immortel que son destin es...more
Published (first published October 1st 1982)

Ori
Earlier this year I got back into the fantasy genre by reading Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind. Since then I've been reading backwards; finding the authors Rothfuss was favorably compared to and reading their books.

I was very taken with the author I read next, George R. R. Martin, and would happily have continued the Song of Fire and Ice series, but apparently the next book in that series has been postponed till 2013. So I chose Raymond Feist who was next on my list.

To a total fantasy v...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Magician: Apprentice is an appealing introduction into an epic fantasy series that a newbie can enjoy. It offers a young hero who is just at the beginning of his journey to find his purpose in life. Feist offers a fantasy world on the brink of war from a threat that has the capacity to bring great change to Midkemia as they know it.

While the world has a typical medieval-type feel, the variety of races presented give the world an incredible texture. I loved the descriptions of the elves and thei...more
Jim
I first read this book shortly after it came out in the early 80's while in my 20's. It's every bit as enjoyable on the 4th read almost 30 years later. In many ways, it is a very typical fantasy, but the character's pop very well & the world has enough new elements to make it quite intriguing. The quick pace hides a complexity that becomes apparent as the story progresses & we're led deeper into the world.

Since I have a towering TBR pile, I re-read sparingly. I'm so happy I did this aga...more
Holly
Mikel C.
I must admit, when I was really young, I did not read that much. I was a sports kid, Soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, baseball in spring and summer. Many years straight through, and if I wasn't practicing or playing, I was playing sports with the neighborhood kids.

It was not until I was 10 or so that I started actually reading the books that the teachers told us to, rather than skimming them over or getting the notes from the dilligent kid in the neighborhood to pass a quiz or test....more
Jon
Mar 18, 2014 Jon added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: FBCS February 2011 Series Selection
Seth Hahne
Raymond Feist is to fantasy literature what Greg Rucka is to crime/espionage literature. He presents stories in a workmanlike fashion, neither embracing literary elegance or dwelling overlong on that which does not forward the story itself, and yet he offers a rollicking good time. His characters are all interesting and his narrative twists retain reader interest. He is not a great author, but he is certainly a good author.

And sometimes, good is just what the doctor ordered.

Both halves of Magic...more
Stephen
2.5 stars. It has been a while since I read this but I remember thinking it was decent but not great. Given the number of really positive reviews, I have put this on my list of books to re-read in case I missed something the first time around.
Josh
I wanted to like this book. I really did. First, a major caveat: The Magician: Apprentice is only one part of a two-volume novel. The second volume, The Magician: Master, completes the tale. Given this, it isn’t really fair to judge the first volume on many points, so keep in mind that my review applies almost exclusively to this first volume.

The Magician: Apprentice is a story centered on — you guessed it — a magician’s apprentice named Pug who finds himself an unlikely hero when the world of M...more
Dawn
The first time I read this I was completely enthralled, and gave it a solid five stars. My fantasy repertoire was seriously lacking back in those days, and I instantly fell in love with all that is Midkemia. The second time around I still loved it, but found I had to drop the rating to a four. It’s not that I loved it any less… I’m not sure what exactly happened. It’s just now that I have more experience with fantasy, and now that I know what else is out there, it was hard to give it a solid fiv...more
Rae
When I was fourteen or so, this was one of my favorite books. Magic! Elves! Dangerous journeys! DWARVEN EFFING MOUNTAINS!!

I just re-read it, after *mumble* years. And okay, it's a profoundly stupid book. The prose is groan-inducing. You could fill a magician's cauldron with its cliches. The worldview of the characters is incredibly juvenile. And oh, the useless beauty of the WOMEN!

And yet, Goodreads, and yet.

I still loved it. Reading it made me want to don magical armor and set sail during a da...more
Kara
Mar 14, 2011 Kara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers, YA and Adult
Recommended to Kara by: Goodreads - Fantasy Book Club Series Group Read
An enjoyable easy read with incredibly likable characters. Just enough action, suspense, intrigue and magic to keep me turning the pages.

In a typical high fantasy world of humans, elves, dwarves, and dragons, there is now a rift, through which unknown people and creatures from another world begin an invasion. The book has several POV characters that we follow separately as they encounter and interact with the off-world invaders.

The start to an epic series, book 1 ends very non-climatically and...more
Thumbelina-thighs
Ana
O Mago O Aprendiz é um livro de Fantasia que se insere numa saga denominada O Mago, escrito por Raymond E. Feist.
A história passa-se no Reino de Midkemia, e relata a vida de Pug, Tomas e outros personagens da cidade de Crydree.
Pug, um rapaz do castelo, que não sendo escolhido por mais nenhum mestre dos vários ofícios, acabou por se tornar no aprendiz do famoso mago Kulgan. Tem algumas dificuldades na aprendizagem do seu ofício, e duvida do caminho que percorre, pois desejava ser um guerreiro ta...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Haven't liked every Feist book since...but this one sucked me in and I ran the next two down as soon as I could get my hands on them.

Since I've remembered this one fondly and just recently replaced my long lost (or worn out) copy. I remember thinking what an odd name Pug was to hang on a main character. This story builds the characters, the world and the story so that I was quickly hooked and stayed that way for several volumes. While Mr. Feist can run hot and cold and at times be almost infuria...more
Paul
Sorry, but how is this plainly described, one dimensional book so well rated? I'm 200 pages in and bored rigid and utterly fed up of the random lucky events the characters go thru.

The line that sticks out is: Dragons were the hereditary enemy of dwarves.

Sorry it's just poorly written, based in a second hand middle earth and I've seen better characters in the mr men books.

I paid 95p for it from a a charity shop and I feel robbed.
Shelly
This was okay but I never really found myself involved in the story or the characters. The writing was fine but nothing that made up for my lack of interest in the story. I haven't read a whole lot of traditional fantasy and maybe it just isn't as much my thing as science fiction. Oh well. Not bad, just not great.
Lowed
Had I not read too much Martin, Bakker, Hobb, Carey and Erikson. I would have given this a five.
Lucinda
This has to be the most outstanding novel by an incredible author who is recognizable as a creative giant within the fantasy genre, taking this genre to a whole new level that inspires. Having previously read the series the serpentwar saga that surrounds the world of Midkemia, I was excited to read more of this author’s work that would be slightly different to what I had previously encountered. This book exceeded all expectations with its incredible storyline that was highly imaginative, inspire...more
Célia
Raymond E. Feist é um conhecido autor de fantasia americano, que tem centrado maioritariamente o seu trabalho no mundo fictício que criou e que foi apresentado aos leitores em 1982, através de O Mago. Devido ao seu volume considerável, uma boa parte do texto foi cortada na edição original, mas quatro anos mais tarde, devido ao sucesso que o livro teve, decidiu-se republicá-lo com texto extra, em 2 volumes: Apprentice e Master. Esta edição portuguesa corresponde à primeira metade.

A história decor...more
Andreas
The original novel originally published in 1982 has been split in two volumes and you'll probably won't be able to just read the first one because there are too many cliffhangers. Given that, I'm going to review this first volume anyways.
It is the first book of the Riftwar Saga set within the world of Midkemia, a coming-of-age story of magician Pug and warrior Tomas facing otherwordly invaders.

I know that lots of people have fond memories reading this book and it was a New York Times bestseller...more
Jeremy Brown
After waiting 10 years to read this book again, I have to say that it ages very well. The book does contain quite a few fantasy book stereotypes that are quite obvious. The characters Pug and Tomas are prime examples where one is a meek boy who trains to be a magician and the other is a boisterous lad who all the ladies love. However the author provides very interesting twists in the development of the characters and he is not afraid to place them in danger. The action in the book is expertly wr...more
Nikki
I first read this book about 10 years ago on the recommendation of a friend and instantly had to buy the sequel. I pulled it off the shelf this week to revisit a story I liked back then, after having lent the books to countless (ok maybe 3) friends. I still loved the book and again had to read the sequel. The adventures of Pug and his Lord Duke Borric as they race around the country are captivating and involve all the major fantasy species. Not only do you get elves and dwarves you also get a do...more
Veronica Morfi
Our story begins at Crydee, a peaceful frontier of the Kingdom of the Isles. There two friends, Pug and Tomas start their apprenticing when they turn 13. But when they discover a wreck ship the destinies of two worlds are changed forever. An invading army from another world threatens the Kingdom and Pug and Tomas find themselves in the middle of the conflict, while they both discover that they are destined for greatness.
This is the first book of the series, a must read for all epic fantasy fans!
Eloise Toujours
I'm glad that 10 years later I still like the book as much as I did when reading it the first time.
In many ways, it is a rather typical fantasy, with elves, dwarfs, dragons, journeys from one side of the map to another, royalties and wars of conquest. Yet, the characters are very much like real people - young boys too eager, old mages somewhat grumpy, kings are wise (though not always or in every aspect) and princesses, of course, very beautiful :)
All in all, a very enjoyable classic.
Kevin
This is a very good book and the prelude to one of the best books I have read. The author knows how to capture your attention and does it from the very start. The reason I gave it four stars is because it seemed about half the book was about characters other than the main one, characters that you didn't care as much about. Also the ending wasn't really an ending, completely leaves you hanging so I suggest getting the second book the same time so you can go right into it.
Alexander Draganov
Good beginning to a great series. Feist introduces us to one of the most likable characters in the history of the genre - Pug, the apprentice of the local wizard and Tomas, the would-be great warrior. They are caught in a war between two worlds, fight, fall in love and meet impossible creatures.
The series become even better in future installments.
Sandra
Perfectly delightful, engaging characters, smooth plotting with surprise elements. Glad I decided to read it, and of course now have to read Magician: Master.
Andrew O
I found this book to be very slow for the first half, but very interesting in the second half, making me want to read the next one.
Chelsi
I really wanted to enjoy this book, much like I really wanted to enjoy "Eye of the World" - but I did not. Sadly I found I could only read 200 pages.
(view spoiler)...more
Clube de Leitores...: Leitura de Novembro de 2013 - Magician: Apprentice 16 43 Dec 04, 2013 03:45AM
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • L'assassin du roi (L'assassin royal, #2)
  • The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
  • Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
  • Covenants (Borderlands, #1)
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Legend (Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The Dark Tide (Iron Tower Trilogy, #1)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)
  • Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1...more
More about Raymond E. Feist...
Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2) A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4) Magician (The Riftwar Saga, #1-2) Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3) Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #1)

“Dolgan: ’Tis a wise thing to know what is wanted, and wiser still to know when ‘tis achieved.
Rhuagh: True. And still wiser to know when it is unachievable, for then striving is folly.”
19 likes
“Some love comes like the wind off the sea, while others grow slowly from the seeds of friendship and kindness." - Carline” 8 likes