Start by marking “Down the Road” as Want to Read:
Down the Road

Down the Road

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Mama and Papa agree that eggs for breakfast would be nice, but they’re too busy to go to the store. So they decide that Hetty is old enough to go by herself. Although she practices walking smoothly up the hill so she won’t break the precious eggs, she can’t help running all the way down. Young readers will hold their breath as Hetty tries her very best to get those eggs ho ...more
Published September 30th 1995 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Down the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down the Road

Applehillcottage
ON MY TOP TEN LIST OF FAVORITE KIDS BOOKS:

The above title says it all. One of my favorite lines is Hetty jingling the money in her pocket and saying ...this must be what it feels like to be grown up-- to have money in your pocket and be walking down the road...

I'm a librarian and when I read this to kindergarten through third grade they are all hushed when Hetty drops the eggs. I mean, this is her first big trip to the store alone, and she has begged to go. And Papa has gone out on a limb for he
Dolly
Nov 30, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, money, 2014
This is a wonderful tale about responsibility, independence and growing up. It tells the story of a young girl, Hetty, who is given the big task of going to the store on her own to buy eggs.

The narrative is short and easy to read and the watercolor illustrations are terrific. I love how the parents reacted to Hetty's situation and the family comes together in a kind, nurturing way. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Matthew
Aug 11, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it
Powerful for it's portrayal of a family that leads with love, this was a truly beautiful book, wonderfully illustrated and compellingly told. The characters were easily identifiable and beautifully described. An excellent book through and through.
Jen
Jul 15, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hetty's parents want fresh eggs for breakfast in the morning, but they don't have time to run to get them. They decide to let Hetty go for her first solo walk with her basket and money to get them for the family. Hetty makes it to the store just fine to get the eggs, but on her way home, she decides to stop by the apple tree to get apples for her mom and dad and that's when the eggs tumble out of the basket and bust on the ground. I felt for sure that Hetty's parents would reprimand her for spil ...more
Piyali
Aug 14, 2015 Piyali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written book about making mistakes, being understood and improvising. The illustrations were very lovely as well.
Connie
Jul 12, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet story of a girl on her first solo errand. Taking everything VERY SERIOUSLY she makes it to the store and ALMOST back when... well... she doesn't. She gets a bit... distracted. And with eggs, that's never a good thing. Luckily she has kind and sympathetic parents who understand that she is just young, after all, and everything turns out all right.
Tracy Clausen
Such a satisfying read - beautiful illustrations and wonderful portrayal of a loving family. My 7year old loved the image of the mom standing with her hands on her hips looking up into the apple tree at her daughter and husband. The image of mom, dad, and little girl sitting in the tree is cozy and comforting.
Devone Smith
This book was beautifully illustrated but I personally don't think the story was that great. However, the story did convey the theme of growing up and taking responsibility for things and how it's okay to make mistakes in life. I enjoyed the way that Hetty's parents handled her mistake of dropping the eggs and made the best out of her mistake by showing patience and love. I might recommend this book just for the theme of the book.
Vanessa
May 15, 2014 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-spirit
Other reviews have summed up the story nicely. What I'd add here is that the element that is so very appealing is the loving reaction of Hettie's parents when she messes up. I don't know a lot of children's books that demonstrate that kind of patience, tenderness and love towards a child that makes a mistake. I think this book is a very big deal for that reason.
Becky Brooks
Dec 05, 2015 Becky Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful book about growing up, making mistakes, and facing consequences. A master class on being a good parent, to boot. Lewis's illustrations are magnificent, as is Schertle's storytelling. Highly, highly recommend for young children, not-so-young children, and their adults.
Valencia Cruz
Jan 28, 2015 Valencia Cruz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My top favorite kids books.

My 9 yr old daughter loves this book. We borrow this book from the library all the time and I just ended up buying the book, because it's a must have.
I love the pictures in the book, and it teaches the kids a lesson in the book.i just love it.
Audrey
Apr 21, 2014 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet story of independence, love, and forgiveness.
Mary Ann
a simple story about a young child going on an important errand to buy eggs for her family - so grown up! But when she stops to pick just a few apples, all the eggs tumble out of the basket and break on the ground. I loved the illustrations. I loved the feeling of forgiveness. But it did stretch my credibility - would her parents really just climb up the tree with her? and not get upset? But really, it is a very sweet story.
Angela
I thought this was a endearing story, but I don't know how credible it is. The little girl goes on a journey to buy eggs, but on her way home, she drops all of the eggs. Her parents don't get mad, so that is why I question the story. I don't think it is very realistic. I think it is great her parents forgave her, but it would have been a little better if the little girl had to deal with the consequences.
Khadija Bensaadoun
This book is about a young girl who goes on a journey carrying eggs, but unfortunately she ends up dropping them! This book would be great to use when teaching phonological awareness. It has great words that the students can repeat while the teacher reads the story, such as squish, thump and splat! Appropriate for prek-kindergarten.

Paula
Hetty is very careful with the eggs she has bought on her very first trip to the store, but she runs into trouble when she stops to pick apples.
There might be to much text for a story time book
Julie Suzanne
Jul 14, 2009 Julie Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A very Zen story...
Teachers: great in the primary grades for introducing the concept of foreshadowing and/or making predictions.
Alisha Williams
This was a great book. It was a great lesson on parent's forgiveness. It was a good lesson that I'm sure many of us have been through.
Tracey

Shalana
Jan 31, 2012 Shalana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute lil book!
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Robert
Thaomy
Thaomy added it
Apr 11, 2016
Jsbella
Jsbella rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Jeani
Jeani marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Matt Burmood
Matt Burmood marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
191218
Alice Schertle has written more than 40 books, mostly for children. A mother and former elementary school teacher, Ms. Schertle is a graduate of the University of Southern California. Many of her most famous works are poetic in nature, though she writes about a wide variety of topics.
More about Alice Schertle...