Blank-133x176

D.H. Lawrence
read book* *Different edition

England, My England

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The lull continued. Then suddenly came sharp orders, and a new direction of the guns, and an intense, exciting activity. Yet at the center the soul remained dark and aloof, alone. But even so, it was the soul that heard the new sound: the new, deep "papp " of a gun that seemed to touch right upon the soul. He kept up the rapid activity at the machine-gun, sweating. But in...more
Paperback
Published August 26th 1982 by Penguin Books (first published March 23rd 1915)

S.L. Dixon
This was a dark and biting selection of stories from just after the first World War, yet none dealt directly with the war itself. That made the stories all the more readable and enjoyable to me.
The characters were sometimes hard to fathom thanks to social nicety and social acceptability of the time, for those that use the phrase the gold old days couldn't possibly mean the early 1920's, especially when concerning the female sex.
But the stories did as they should should and poked holes in those...more
Emma Joy
I hesitated to be convinced by the previous reviews for this book for all of them were upsetting. I still dared to read the book. The title was very much appealing "England, my England", how can I resist it? Then, I decided I shall judge it for myself.

As I began reading, I had a sort of outrage over the book reviewers. It was finely written. But the more I went on through the pages, I felt compassion amongst my fellow readers of this book. It was a compilation of short stories tackling mainly so...more
Rick
Lawrence writes beautifully, as ever, but I think novels give him the space to develop characters and situations. These short stories seem cut short. As soon as you begin to care about someone, they're gone. This collection is mostly about World War I, the way it changed British society, and the psychological and cultural cost of the war. Nothing seems right any more, and maybe it never was right.
Jackie Rawlinson angi-dobos

The book was disappointing. I suppose I look for completion, or somewhat of a happy ending; this book had neither. In a deeper sense, emotions were expressed and felt clearly; life's pain and games people play were quite real; the book portrayed the reality of life.
Alice
Not my cup of tea - short stories give me a weird unsettled feeling. These were all pretty bleak too.
Sally-W
Some of the stories end unexpectedly. Some are quite bleak. Not for everyone.
Kristina A
Kristina A marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
MimiWonka
MimiWonka is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Miljana
Miljana marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Ginger
Ginger is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Sonja
Sonja is currently reading it
May 29, 2014
Denise
Denise added it
May 19, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Melanie Allan
Melanie Allan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
David Herbert Richards Lawrence was an English writer of the 20th century, whose prolific and diverse output included novels, short stories, poems, plays, essays, travel books, paintings, translations, literary criticism and personal letters. His collected works represent an extended reflection upon the dehumanizing effects of modernity and industrialisation. In them, Lawrence confronts issues rel...more
More about D.H. Lawrence...
Lady Chatterley's Lover Sons and Lovers Women in Love (Brangwen Family, #2) The Rainbow (Brangwen Family, #1) The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)