Start by marking “The Case for Marriage: Why Married People are Happier, Healthier, and Better off Financially” as Want to Read:

Waite and Gallagher present compelling new evidence that despite what most people have come to believe, getting married and staying married makes men, women, and children dramatically better off. Their impassioned, closely reasoned manifesto combines analysis, cultural criticism, and practical advice on strengthening the institution of marriage.
Published October 3rd 2000 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Case for Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case for Marriage

Becky
Mar 26, 2017 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It made a good case for maintaining marriage as it is based on decades of research. It's definitely from a traditional marriage/conservative standpoint, but it was not overly pushy about traditional gender roles. It was an interesting read.
Christina
Mar 14, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of the kind of statistics I could read all day. It's so interesting! Waite and Gallagher look at many of the assumed myths of marriage: cohabitation provides the same benefits, married women are more likely to abused and less likely to be happy, men have a less exciting sex life, divorce should be based on a couples "happiness." Using statistical analysis they refute each one and shed light on many of the amazing benefits of marriage. For example, did you know that "compared to ...more
Heather
Aug 10, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me glad that I am married. It was nice to read a study that supported what I already knew (ie. that being married you get a lot more done). One of the most interesting parts of the books was the comparison's between married couples and cohabiting couples, and it showed that making a commitment to each other makes men and women happier and healthier. I especially liked chapter 6 ;)
David Messier
Jul 18, 2015 David Messier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good exploration into the positive and life-enhancing qualities that married people can expect. My parents divorced early in my life, so this book was useful in breaking my misconceptions of marriage and helped me to foster an appreciation for the act of getting married.
Erik
Jan 14, 2016 Erik rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
get this junk tf outta my face
Yellow Rose
Aug 21, 2012 Yellow Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot personally and I agree with the premise of the book that marriage is beneficial compared to just dating or just cohabitation. There is no new information beyond that. This book is filled with statistics and studies the authors use to prove their point that marriage helps health wise, intimacy wise, which is okay they do a good job in stating their case. However, I found the book a bit on the boring side because it seemed every paragraph had some statistic in it. As I me ...more
Annette
Aug 06, 2008 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like academic nonficiton
Shelves: read-and-reread
If you can handle studies on marriage being explained and results recounted (obviously I don't mind that sort of thing), this book is good. It just feels good to read empirical data that being married is better than all the other options. You learn that marriage is about specialized skills and that is what makes it last in many cases.
Kevin Shafer
Mar 06, 2008 Kevin Shafer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lay sociologists
This is a very good, well-researched volume about marriage. I particulary appreciate it because many sociologists and demographers are turning their attention to alternative family forms. While these unions certainly merit attention by academics, Waite reminds us why marriage is important and good in our society.
Kara
Jun 05, 2008 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a right-wing perspective on marriage and it's benefits to both the spouses and society. I did find the statistics very interesting though. Many of the "marital myths" are disspelled through 30+ year studies. If you're considering cohabitating vs. getting married, this book is worth reading to better help you understand the pros and cons of marriage.
Brad
Sep 26, 2012 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wealth of data, mainly based on the research of a University of Chicago sociologist, demythologizing many misconceptions surrounding marriage. Everything conventional wisdom tells us about marriage, cohabitation, and divorce is contradicted at every point by research data .
Julia
Jan 11, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: divorce-marriage
Easy to read. This was required reading in a doctoral level course, but very interesting, and doesn't read like an academic book, although it does cite quite a bit of research, that any layman could understand.
Richard Mansel
Apr 25, 2014 Richard Mansel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who wants to understand the importance of marriage must read this book. Waite and Gallagher fill this book with solid research to prove their case that marriage is superior to cohabitation. Highly recommended.
Jeff Kazmierski
Sep 22, 2008 Jeff Kazmierski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of research based evidence but great information none the less.
Breeana
Oct 20, 2010 Breeana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I rarely give out five stars... marriage is truly rewarding when both partners put in all their effort. Co-habitation is a cop-out. I recommend this book to everyone 16 and older!
Larry
Jul 22, 2008 Larry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book...i love being married to kathy
Erendira
VCL acq - 3/29/10
Loralee
Apr 21, 2008 Loralee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great reference guide complete with the latest statistics and facts concerning marital satisfaction. Gallagher and Waite make a very logical point.
Jonathan
Great defense of marriage from the perspective of personal happiness and human flourishing.
Sarah Curtis
Feb 14, 2008 Sarah Curtis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very research-focused, but a great book that defends marriage and provides the benefits of marriage.
A.J.
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2008
Sarah Taylor
Sarah Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2009
Rob Fasnacht
Rob Fasnacht rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Courtney Barrie
Courtney Barrie rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2014
Brynn
Brynn rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2012
Matthew Druzcz
Matthew Druzcz rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Kyra Mcandrews
Kyra Mcandrews rated it really liked it
May 27, 2014
  • What Our Mothers Didn't Tell Us: Why Happiness Eludes the Modern Woman
  • Demography: Measuring and Modeling Population Processes
  • The Complete Husband: A Practical Guide to Biblical Husbanding
  • Families We Choose: Lesbians, Gays, Kinship
  • Rock-Solid Relationships: Strengthening Personal Relationships with Wisdom from the Scriptures
  • The Intimate Marriage
  • Gender
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality
  • The Three Worlds of Welfare Capitalism
  • The Feasts of the Lord: God's Prophetic Calendar From Calvary to the Kingdom
  • Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications
  • Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe
  • Purity and Passion: Spiritual Truths about Intimacy That Will Strengthen Your Marriage
  • The Good Marriage: How and Why Love Lasts