Start by marking “The Case for Marriage: Why Married People are Happier, Healthier, and Better off Financially” as Want to Read:

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The wages of the married are high, commitment is good for the libido, and, despite 30 years of arguments to the contrary, happiness may just depend on reciting the wedding vow, according to Linda Waite and Maggie Gallagher. After sifting through the evidence and conducting their own studies, the authors conclude that marriage is beneficial and transformational, and that ne ...more
Published October 3rd 2000 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Case for Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case for Marriage

Heather
This book made me glad that I am married. It was nice to read a study that supported what I already knew (ie. that being married you get a lot more done). One of the most interesting parts of the books was the comparison's between married couples and cohabiting couples, and it showed that making a commitment to each other makes men and women happier and healthier. I especially liked chapter 6 ;)
Yellow Rose
I enjoyed this book a lot personally and I agree with the premise of the book that marriage is beneficial compared to just dating or just cohabitation. There is no new information beyond that. This book is filled with statistics and studies the authors use to prove their point that marriage helps health wise, intimacy wise, which is okay they do a good job in stating their case. However, I found the book a bit on the boring side because it seemed every paragraph had some statistic in it. As I me ...more
Christina
This book is full of the kind of statistics I could read all day. It's so interesting! Waite and Gallagher look at many of the assumed myths of marriage: cohabitation provides the same benefits, married women are more likely to abused and less likely to be happy, men have a less exciting sex life, divorce should be based on a couples "happiness." Using statistical analysis they refute each one and shed light on many of the amazing benefits of marriage. For example, did you know that "compared to ...more
David Messier
This book was a good exploration into the positive and life-enhancing qualities that married people can expect. My parents divorced early in my life, so this book was useful in breaking my misconceptions of marriage and helped me to foster an appreciation for the act of getting married.
Richard Mansel
Anyone who wants to understand the importance of marriage must read this book. Waite and Gallagher fill this book with solid research to prove their case that marriage is superior to cohabitation. Highly recommended.
Kara
Definitely a right-wing perspective on marriage and it's benefits to both the spouses and society. I did find the statistics very interesting though. Many of the "marital myths" are disspelled through 30+ year studies. If you're considering cohabitating vs. getting married, this book is worth reading to better help you understand the pros and cons of marriage.
Annette
Aug 06, 2008 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like academic nonficiton
Shelves: read-and-reread
If you can handle studies on marriage being explained and results recounted (obviously I don't mind that sort of thing), this book is good. It just feels good to read empirical data that being married is better than all the other options. You learn that marriage is about specialized skills and that is what makes it last in many cases.
Kevin Shafer
Mar 06, 2008 Kevin Shafer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lay sociologists
This is a very good, well-researched volume about marriage. I particulary appreciate it because many sociologists and demographers are turning their attention to alternative family forms. While these unions certainly merit attention by academics, Waite reminds us why marriage is important and good in our society.
Brad
A wealth of data, mainly based on the research of a University of Chicago sociologist, demythologizing many misconceptions surrounding marriage. Everything conventional wisdom tells us about marriage, cohabitation, and divorce is contradicted at every point by research data .
Julia
Easy to read. This was required reading in a doctoral level course, but very interesting, and doesn't read like an academic book, although it does cite quite a bit of research, that any layman could understand.
Breeana
I loved this book! I rarely give out five stars... marriage is truly rewarding when both partners put in all their effort. Co-habitation is a cop-out. I recommend this book to everyone 16 and older!
Loralee
This is a great reference guide complete with the latest statistics and facts concerning marital satisfaction. Gallagher and Waite make a very logical point.
Sarah Curtis
Very research-focused, but a great book that defends marriage and provides the benefits of marriage.
Jonathan
Great defense of marriage from the perspective of personal happiness and human flourishing.
Chrisanne
This books should be required reading for every high school student.
Jeff Kazmierski
A lot of research based evidence but great information none the less.
Larry
good book...i love being married to kathy
Erendira
VCL acq - 3/29/10
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
David Messier
David Messier is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2015
Ameena Ally
Ameena Ally marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Sbalt
Sbalt marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Laralee
Laralee marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
  • The Age of Migration: International Population Movements in the Modern World
  • The Time Bind: When Work Becomes Home and Home Becomes Work
  • What Our Mothers Didn't Tell Us: Why Happiness Eludes the Modern Woman
  • The Intimate Marriage
  • The Three Worlds of Welfare Capitalism
  • Purity and Passion: Spiritual Truths about Intimacy That Will Strengthen Your Marriage
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality
  • Promises I Can Keep: Why Poor Women Put Motherhood Before Marriage
  • Covenant Hearts: Marriage and the Joy of Human Love
  • Make No Law: The Sullivan Case and the First Amendment
  • Losing Ground: American Social Policy, 1950-1980
  • Words Can Change Your Brain: 12 Conversation Strategies to Build Trust, Resolve Conflict, and Increase Intima cy
  • The Truly Disadvantaged: The Inner City, the Underclass, and Public Policy
  • Plunkitt of Tammany Hall: A Series of Very Plain Talks on Very Practical Politics
Noncardiac Critical Care Nursing The Case for Marriage The Case For Staying Married Beloved Strangers (He Cheated! The Survival Story of an Ex Wife) Religion, Families, and Health: Population-Based Research in the United States