Start by marking “Don Vicente: Two Novels (Rosales Saga, #2-3)” as Want to Read:
Don Vicente: Two Novels (Rosales Saga, #2-3)

Don Vicente: Two Novels (Rosales Saga #2-3)

Written in elegant and precise prose, Don Vicente contains two novels in F. Sionil José's classic Rosales Saga. The saga, begun in José's novel Dusk, traces the life of one family, and that of their rural town of Rosales, from the Philippine revolution against Spain through the arrival of the Americans to, ultimately, the Marcos dictatorship.

The first novel here, Tree, is
Published August 17th 1999 by Modern Library (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Don Vicente, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don Vicente

K.D. Absolutely
I recently finished the two novels that comprise this book. Those two are the second and third books of the Rosales saga written by F. Sionil Jose: Tree (4 stars) and My Brother, My Executioner (Rosales Saga, #3) (3 stars).

The author released this book, Don Vicente separately because these two novels have this illustrious rich man Don Vicente as their focal character. I would not say main character because in "Tree" the don barely appears but his presence looms on every page of the story. The m
Ultimotomasino
Dec 19, 2013 Ultimotomasino rated it really liked it
The hacienda becomes the setting and the battlefield for F. Sionil Jose's two more novels in the famed Rosales Saga.

In Tree, the reader finds himself flung into the life of the young unnamed narrator who hails from the changing province of Rosales Pangasinan where the tension between tenant and landowner stiffens.
Patrick
Jul 03, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it
Bruce
Dec 12, 2014 Bruce rated it really liked it
I enjoyed both novels very much. I thought the first, The Tree, to be the best. It made its point in a more subtle way. The images of rural life in the Philippines were well drawn. Both novels illustrate how privilege in a society with gross economic disparity can corrupt. The elite as well as the masses suffer. This is a central theme in the recent novel Ilustrado by Miquel Syjuco . I wonder if Crispin in Illustrado was in part inspired by Jose.
Sophie
Two novels: Tree and My Brother, My Executioner from the Rosales Saga.
Bridget
Feb 28, 2015 Bridget rated it liked it
Sionil writes place well. I felt like I was back in Pangasinan while reading. This is a compilation of two books, and I wasn't engaged in plot or character in the first book. But the second drew me in the way the best stories do. I'd give that book five stars.
Jean Jean
Dec 09, 2014 Jean Jean marked it as to-read
i think it is a interesting book and I want to read that book because it is written by a good author which is Sionil Jose and I think also that I can learn something in this book.
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2011
Oward Bodie
Oward Bodie rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Liezl
Liezl rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Tripster Guy
Tripster Guy rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Jerome Quinto, SDB
Jerome Quinto, SDB rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2011
Mia
Mia rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Dawn Tan
Dawn Tan rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2014
yasekabood
yasekabood rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2007
Glacy
Glacy rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Michael  Charney
Michael Charney rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Paolo
Paolo rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2010
Jayson Troy
Jayson Troy rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Karen Lau
Karen Lau rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Jef David
Jef David rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Sheriff Sheriff
Sheriff Sheriff rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
M
M rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2007
Emmile
Emmile rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2008
Alunsina
Alunsina rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2011
Kasyana
Kasyana rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Samuel Lee
Samuel Lee rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Danny Sillada
Danny Sillada rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2007
Josephine
Josephine rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2013
Binky Condicion
Binky Condicion rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2007
Francisco Sionil José was born in 1924 in Pangasinan province and attended the public school in his hometown. He attended the University of Santo Tomas after World War II and in 1949, started his career in writing. Since then, his fiction has been published internationally and translated into several languages including his native Ilokano. He has been involved with the international cultural organ ...more
More about F. Sionil José...

Rosales Saga (5 books)
  • Dusk (Rosales Saga, #1)
  • Tree (Rosales Saga, #2)
  • My Brother, My Executioner (Rosales Saga, #3)
  • The Pretenders (Rosales Saga, #4)
  • Mass (Rosales Saga, #5)