Start by marking “We Were Tired of Living in a House” as Want to Read:
We Were Tired of Living in a House

We Were Tired of Living in a House

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Sometimes, living in a house can be tiresome. So these siblings pack a bag and take a hike, to find another place. From a treehouse to a raft, a cave to a sandcastle -- each place seems perfect to them. That is, until they tumble out of the treehouse, their raft sinks, they meet the bears who already live in the cave, and the tide turns them out of their sandcastle. Like G ...more
Hardcover
Published May 3rd 1999 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about We Were Tired of Living in a House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Were Tired of Living in a House

Miriam
Feb 23, 2012 Miriam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Miriam by: Reve
Shelves: picture
I don't think the person who wrote the blurb used here understood the book. It is not like Goldilocks. The kids are not having scary misadventures. They do not learn a lesson. It is perfectly obvious from the illustrations that the brothers and sister are out having a day of play in nature and their mother knows where they are. This is much more like Swallows and Amazons with younger kids than like Goldilocks. All very peaceful and cheerful.
Lisa Vegan
Jul 06, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Hip, hip, hooray for free play and imaginative play!!! I just loved this book. I was skeptical, despite two friends each assigning this book 4 stars, because the cover illustration didn’t appeal to me.

But, I enjoyed the illustrations, and the story is wonderful. It’s a fabulous book for read aloud, just terrific, and independent readers are also likely to enjoy reading it themselves. The cumulative story is amusing and sweet and silly and fun, and great for nature lovers and kids who like to hav
Kathryn
What a delightful story! It captures the spirit of adventure, the love of outdoors, the bountiful imagination of children. Each home the children discover is delightful in its own way. I enjoyed the cumulative nature of the storytelling, too.

I wish my library had the original edition, with illustrations by Doris Burn. I will have to keep my eye out for an inexpensive used copy because I know I would love those illustrations. The few illustrations I've seen online are wonderful and so well suited
Elizabeth
I love the original version of this book--from the early seventies--which had much better illustrations. I would have given this 5 stars if it were the original version, but that seems to be out of print. You may be able to find it at the library still. The new text is probably still the same, and it is a wonderful story, but if you can find the original, do so! The illustrations in this newer version are lame. Ugly. A sad change.

Anyway, the great things about the story are...

1.That the kids s
Beth Wood
If I could give this book a split rating, it would be story-5/illustrations-1. I first owned this book through the Weekly Reader Children's Book Club, and the illustrator of that edition was Doris Burn (1969). If you can find this edition, read it!

In this newer release(1999), I find the colors to be lurid and completely overwhelming to the charm and simplicity of the story. The characters are flat, and they and the landscapes are one-dimensional, and the brush techniques make the children look a
lola Franco
I have the original version, it's lovely. One of my favorite books as a child. And each of my children have enjoyed it as well.
Melissa
ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE 1960s version--the illustrations MAKE the book. If you want to read this one, seek out the old one, that's all black and white drawings though there's a little red on the front cover, so glad I own my old copy! But if you see the old one at a garage sale, snap it up! I spent hours looking at those drawings as do my children now.
Jyniffrec
The older version has much better illustrations and is the one I remember from my childhood. The older illustrations are done by Doris Burn. My children love this book as well. I happened to find it at a used bookstore for fairly cheap but it is quite expensive for a used book online.
Katy Branson
This IS NOT my favorite book ever. The original version, illustrated by Elsie Minarek (sp?) is my favorite. Why mess with perfection? BOO!
PeaceTrain
This is one of my favorite childhood books. To this day, when I am thinking about going on a vacation I find myself saying, "so they packed their bags with sweaters and socks and scarlet leaves of gold." I recently came across this book and read it as an adult. I still enjoy the adventurous nature of the kids and relate.
george
"We were tired of living in a house." So starts the charming picture book of the same title. The three little children set off to find a new place to live--they try a tree, a pond, a cave, and the sea; but there is something not quite right about each place. So every time, they pack up (with just a little more stuff each time), and move on. Finally, the three decide that living in a house might not be so bad after all.

Cute book with bright, bold and colorful illustrations. I didn't love the illu
Mandi
My favorite is the 1969 version.
Shelli
Cute read aloud picture book for small children about 3 kids who are tired of living at home.

"Where would you go if you were tired of being at home?" Would be a great opening questions before sharing this book. You can ask your students)what would be the pros and cons about living in a tree house. An educator, or parent, could show how to makes these lists and have the kids write down their ideas or get into groups and discuss their thoughts. Lots of fun, simple ways to incorporated this book i
Rebekah Leland
If there were a place on goodreads to rate illustrations I would give this one a 1. The original illustrator of this book, Doris Burns, did wonderful illustrations, so I'm not sure why that version is out of print. We didn't even make it through this book once before both my boys were done with it. The story, however, is 5 stars, and perfect for my toddler boys. I've got to find the out-of-print version.
Bekkah
My copy of this is actually the one my mom used to read to my brothers and I as very small children and it is still very much a favorite. The kids I babysit love reading it too. I would use this book to talk about different ecosystems and habitats. I might also use it as an opportunity to introduce the class to the school, and me as a teacher, by doing an "I'm tired of teaching in a classroom" activity.
Nashay
This a story about a group of children who are tired of living in their house. They go in search of a new home but each place has some problem so they need to continue their search. Eventually their search leads them right back home. This is a great book to read to early elementary students and should be used when teaching the theme "taking things for granted" or "the grass is greener on the other side."
Andrea
A book that relates to children's curiosity about living in other places such as their treehouse. Cute but not particularly intelligent. There are a lot of different kinds of real houses in the world and this is not about understanding the pros and cons of different kinds of real dwellings. See my review of a really great book on really unusual human dwellings called Built By Hand.
Bonnie
I love this book. My mother would read it to us when we were little. I still have the line memorized, "We were tired of living in a house so we packed our bags with sweaters and socks and a frog who was a particular friend ..." I was so excited when it was put in print again when my boys were little so that I could share the story with them.
Samantha
A bunch of kids tire of living in a house so they explore other dwelling such as a tree and a sand castle. Each house has some issue or another which sends the kids racing back home by book's end.

The cumulative text and familiar refrain paired with the detail rich oil artwork make for a great read aloud for PreK-2.
Summer
If you can get your hands on this book (or the later edition), I highly recommend it! The text is charming beyond belief:
“So we packed our bag with sweaters and socks and scarlet leaves and gold and a frog who was a particular friend and precious stones that caught and held the sun.”
Kristen Benzo
This is my all time favorite book from childhood. I have the 1969 version of the book. I just remember them moving for different reasons and loved the fact that they wind up back at home. I'm hoping to someday have children of my own to pass this book on to.
Ruth
If you are going to buy this book, make sure you get the one that has the Doris Burn illustrations. They are much better than the ones in this edition.

This is one of my top three favorite books from my childhood. Every child should have their own copy.
Amy
Here is another favorite kids book. However it was written a long time ago and they have recently started publishing it again (in color) try to find the original book, the illustrations are fabulous and the writing style is very good.
Katharine Yoder
I grew up with an older edition of this, all beautiful, sweeping pen and ink drawings. Such a good channel for the desire we all have to escape and catalog. My mom has two copies and has promised me one of them for my own kids.
Bill
This 5-star rating is for the older edition; this new edition with different art isn't nearly so good. But the old one...yeah. That's a great book.
Myles
I liked it because they lived different places. It was silly because they lived in a giant sand castle and they made friends with a frog.
SarahBeth
I love this book, but get the 1969 Doris Burn illustrated version if you can. It's so much better with her illustrations. I love the dog.
Tricia
girls loved it and wanted to repeat it. children are tired of living in a house and yearn to live elsewhere. will try for outreach.
Breanna Leigh
I grew up with this book and I simply adore getting to read it to my children. I am tickled that they love it as much as I did and do.
Marilyn
Beautiful book. The kids set off to find another dwelling in a tree, a pond, etc. and discover how much they love home. Fun!
Favorite children's book 2 11 May 25, 2009 03:32PM