Start by marking “Batman: Cataclysm (Batman)” as Want to Read:
Batman: Cataclysm (Batman)

Batman: Cataclysm (Batman)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,598 ratings  ·  49 reviews
It is a foe Batman can see and hear...
...but cannot touch.

It will strike only once...
...yet will change his life forever.

Already weakened by a debilitating plague, Gotham City is struck by a devastating force of nature - an earthquake that registers over 7.5 on the Richter scale.

In A Single Instant...
...The Batcave And Wayne Manor Are Left In Ruins...
...Thousands Are Dead.
Published June 25th 1999 by Titan Books Ltd (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Andrew
Right I guess I will have to put my hand up to this one - yes the next batman is shortly to be released and yes I have followed batman ever since at Uni I was introduced to a friends copy of Year One. This book came to my attention some time ago not realising it was part of a larger story arch, yes I will admit my naivety when it comes to multi-book spanning story arcs.
That said I am also pretty green to the whole graphic novel work only really dabbling in 2000AD and Neil Gaiman publications. H
Cameron
A devastating earthquake hits Gotham City to (almost) everyone's surprise and Batman is faced with a problem he can't solve by punching it in the face: The overwhelming power of nature.

I love the concept of this story. Looking at just the premise, it gives us a chance to see how Batman and friends would handle a situation where there isn't some big bad villain murdering people. The situation is really just a large scale version of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with nature as the onl
David
Feb 01, 2014 David rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Frothing-at-the-Mouth Bat-fans
Recommended to David by: No one. And rightfully so.
Oh, Batman. Why can't I quit you?

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson after your "defusing bombs via punching" antics in Arkham Origins. Or your comically raspy voice in The Dark Knight Rises. Seriously, it was like a high-school production of Batman. But no matter how many times you prove to me that you're only as strong as your creative team, I keep crawling back to your strong arms and chiseled jawline.

It's an interesting premise, I'll grant you that. Use a massive earthquake to show that
Danie
Gotham City shakes rattles and rolls. A 7.6 magnitude earthquake hits Gotham City and flattens a whole lot of it. Batman and the Batman family, including those such as Spoiler and Huntress (and even Catwoman) help save hundreds of people while thousands more die in the rubble and chaos.

This is the Trade Paperback that sets up the 'No Man's Land' storyline.

I liked the story on the whole, even how we got to see the exact same moments of the earthquake from so many different points of view, and the
Amber Ditullio
Oct 21, 2011 Amber Ditullio rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Batman, Those who enjoy hope in the face of tragedy
Shelves: graphic-novel
Gotham has just made it through a horrid plague. But Mother Nature refuses to give Batman's home city a break, hitting them with a devastating 7.8 earthquake. Much of the city is in ruins (though all of Wayne Industries holdings - minus Wayne Manor - have held their integrity thanks to Bruce Wayne's forethought. The graphic novel follows Batman, Barbara Gordon, Nightwing and Robin as they do what they can -sometimes together, sometimes along - for the people of the Gotham.

Partway through the sto
Boots
i decided as an opening salvo for 2013 i'd commit to reading the 2500-page No Man's Land story arc and finally got my hands on this opening volume. the nice {?} thing about a disaster story is that the artists spend a lot of ink doing splash pages of things blowing up and falling down, so this was a page-turner in that sense. overall i enjoyed most of it, but will break it down here into the good, bad, and ugly.

good: compelling story-telling that's not about people in tights for the most part. s
Sesana
Sometimes, DC editorial can come up with some pretty bold ideas, and this was certainly one of them. Take Batman, and the entire massive line of Bat-family books, out of their comfort zones (fighting crime) and put them in a situation that they're ill-prepared for, and that even their best efforts will be unable to fix. In this case, a massive earthquake all but leveling Gotham. There's no super villain to fight, and they won't be able to save everyone. Like I said, a pretty bold idea. Cataclysm ...more
Joseph
One of my biggest problems with superhero comics is that they're not self-contained. The major comic company's insistence that all their comics exist within one "comic universe" means that at any given time, multiple artists are working on multiple projects meant to exist both independently and as a cohesive whole. Someday, somebody's going to pull this off, and it's going to be very impressive.

Batman: Cataclysm is not that project. Spanning multiple comic series, the book describes the aftermat
Martin
Hot on the heels of the just-as-terrible Batman: Contagion, this book serves as a set-up for the next bloated Batman event: "No Man's Land". Let me save you some time & frustration: while there are (somewhere in there) a few good moments, mostly it's uneven writing with uneven art. Here's a brief summary of "Cataclysm":

- A monster earthquake hits Gotham City.
- Lots of people die, a lot more need help because they're stuck somewhere or under something.
- Batman & friends can't possibly sa
Jdetrick
Events from the big two comics companies can be exhausting and often aren't very good, with characterization sacrificed to plot. While Cataclysm isn't the best event out there, I think it's one of the better Batman crossovers. Perhaps that's because many of the issues (especially at the beginning of the crossover) can stand alone and showcase various members of the Bat Family doing what they do best. We're also treated to a Batman in this volume who isn't a psychotic; he's a driven man, but he c ...more
Arjun Mishra
Two complaints, though perhaps others can cajole me otherwise.

The dialogue was weak. Robin, Alfred, GCPD, Gordons in particular disappointed me. The backdrop of the city suffering a cataclysm is not conducive to normal dialogue, but it veered away from the normal routes in which human discussion occurs. I suppose Batman and Huntress were alright.

I did not care for the villain. Not classic Batman villains, which should not affect the story so much, but the absence of the beloved villains is acute
Tyler
His is one of those events that, like Knightfall, every committed Batman fan should read because it's referred to so often. Gotham City is devastated by a horrific earthquake, unleashing chaos upon all, causing thousands of deaths, and threatening to expose Bruce Wayne's secret identity to the world.
It's well done for the most part, thoroughly exploring the widespread effect such a catastrophe would have on a city, and the nearly insurmountable challenge it brings to each of Gotham's heroes, be
Jordan
So the idea of Gotham and the Bat family facing a natural crisis rather than a supervillain was great, but it felt like they kind of spoiled that to some degree by throwing in the whole charade with the Quakemaster, who turned out to actually be (view spoiler). I get that someone would probably try and take advantage of the situation like that but... I felt like a bit much of the focus was shifted to that and trying to figure out who he was and it detracted some ...more
Jen
I like the premise of Gotham (ergo, Batman) being confronted with the devastating impact of a natural disaster, of something beyond mortal control, and what calamities result from the destruction in its wake; however, the sequence of the chain of events is sometimes confusing and tiresome given that many storylines are happening simultaneously, being told from multiple perspectives. Most of it doesn't serve the main narrative very much.

This is followed up by the epic, mind-bogglingly long No Ma
Sean
This book was the first DC Universe crossover I ever bought in issues. While, I thought I definitely overpaid at the time due to unnecessary issues, the event overall was fantastic. I loved the idea of Bruce and his family having to deal with a realistic problem and the dangers that arose from that. While there are a few hiccups involving some plot holes, uneven art, and/or lack of other heroes, the collection is really good. I already knew rereading what this leads to but it’s a great starting ...more
Sarah Toth
I really liked how this book was one full volume prequel to the No Man's Land series. I also liked how it had multiple stories going on from different characters' points of view from all over Gotham. This really allowed you to experience the full extent of what was happening to each person during the earthquake. The only thing I didn't like was how the Penguin was included in this book. I felt that his role was extremely irrelevant in this volume and his appearance could have been postponed unti ...more
TJ Shelby
Let me just say a few things to start. This book is out of print (sells for $50 on Amazon from independent dealers and rarely sells for under $25 - $30 on Ebay) and is a prelude to the highly popular Batman: No Man's Land mega-series. Maybe I went in with unrealistic ultra-high expectations. But over 300 pages of how Gotham dealt with an earthquake, rescue of citizens and concluding with an extremely brief extortion attempt by (one of my least favorite Batman villains) the Ventriloquist.

I felt
Felix Zilich
В 1998 году город Готэм ожидал один из самых эпичных ивентов за его историю. Событие, последствия которого растянулись на несколько долгих и мучительных лет.

Все началось с того, что Чак Диксон и Алан Грант придумали для Брюса Уэйна врага, против которого у него не было почти никаких козырей. Почти никаких. И этот противник - землетрясение силой в 7,6 балов.

Противник оказался непредсказуем, всемогущ и безжалостен. В 19:03 город внезапно тряхнуло, небоскрёбы посыпались, за считанные минуты погиб
Chris
Not an incredibly compelling chapter in Batman adventures - but I did appreciate that Bruce relies on Robin to solve the only real mystery to be found. What they say about him being a better detective? Must be true. Aside from that, the brief Spoiler/Huntress/Catwoman inserts weren't bad, but there just didn't seem to be a whole lot of Batman to the story.

I guess I'll be better prepared to comment on this when I've started No Man's Land. As a stand-alone, Cataclysm isn't really all that interest
Aurora
This isn't so much one coherent story, but that mostly works to its advantage. Some of the best stories are the shortest, whereas the overarching narrative is kinda lame. Especially toward the end. The book is like "Batman, an earthquake isn't something you can fight, like Penguin or the Joker" -which is good and interesting- and then it sets up the earthquake as being caused by a villain. Guys, come on. Trust me enough not to think I need you to follow the same pattern every story.
Tiara
This seemed to go on way longer than 320 pages. Started a little too stilted and factual for me (I know it was needed, but still), but it got better as it went on and added more human elements to the story. Some of the side stories were completely a waste of time (I'm looking at your Ra al Ghul), but they started to find better footing with combing this sense of urgency with chaos and personal stories.
Andrew
Really, really bad with only a small handful of good moments. Essentially 300 pages of the Bat family running around and reacting to an earthquake. Dreadfully boring. Some of the tie-ins (Catwoman in particular) are laughably bad. Also has one of the worst modern day villains in comicdom...the QUAKEMASTER. Skip it unless you absolutely love Batman and are a completionist (like myself).
Natalie
No hardcore Batman snob will place this in their top 10 Batman series, BUT they will tell you it's pretty damn good (and if they don't, you probably shouldn't hang out with them). Myself, I was obsessed with this series. I fell in love with all the characters (Batman doesn't play a huge role here) and freaked out if I finished one volume without having the next.
stephanie
i don't exactly know all the characters or the moment in time when this happens. but i have to say, it's kind of freaking awesome.

babs, and dick, and bruce, and helena . . . and stephanie!

now to tackle the next 5 installments. though i don't know what i expect, i am looking forward to seeing what cassie's intro is.

also, it really is great story-telling.
David Gunn
An Earthquake measuring 7.5 on the richter scale struck Gotham...Leaving the place looking like hell, our heroes desperately struggling to help the thousands of injured and dying not to mention the return of Robin and Nightwing...Such an epic and long tale of good conquering evil and prevailing with the help of many friends, heroes and villians alike.
Leonard Chadwick
All in all, mediocre Batman story with few moments rising above "so-so". Nothing amazing here, and it seems would have been stronger delving into Bruce Wayne's feelings about fighting nature rather than an enemy he can pummel and imprison. The tacked-on "mystery" that pops up midway through seems weak and the final reveal is not so engaging.
Ryan Mishap
The lead up to No Man's Land, the art in here is incredible as it shows the destruction of Gotham by a huge earthquake and the subsequent disasters. Various heroes and villains make their appearance--including Anarky!--either trying to help people or take advantage of the chaos.
Batman vs. Act of Nature--guess who wins?
Andrew Ives
Pretty good, but the quality of the art/writing goes up and down dramatically over the course of 300 pages. Rather miserable in tone too. The Little Orphan Andy ending is rather a strange short story to finish on. If it had been me writing it, I would've ended the book about 5 pages earlier, on a more uplifting 'heroic' note.
Lora
Loved the plot! Seeing Gotham destroyed by a natural disaster and watching everyone try and survive was really interesting. It was fun to see how Batman dealt with an enemy that wasn't a human villain. And anything with Barbara Gordon/Oracle is something I enjoy. I can't wait to read the follow-up...Batman: No Man's Land.
Joseph
An enjoyable read, but I had only one slight prob with the storyline. There were plenty of appearances of Batman and his usual crew, Robin, Nighwing, etc. but in such a natural catastrophe, I would have thought plenty of other heroes would have stepped in to help out, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern.
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3
  • Batman: Under the Hood Vol. 2
  • Batman: Death and the City
  • Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul
  • Batman: Venom
Charles "Chuck" Dixon is an American comic book writer, perhaps best-known for long runs on Batman titles in the 1990s.

His earliest comics work was writing Evangeline first for Comico Comics in 1984 (then later for First Comics, who published the on-going series), on which he worked with his then-wife, the artist Judith Hunt. His big break came one year later, when editor Larry Hama hired him to w
More about Chuck Dixon...
The Hobbit: Graphic Novel Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son Batman: Bruce Wayne, Murderer? Robin: Year One Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 1 (New Edition)