Start by marking “Mine Eyes Have Seen” as Want to Read:
Mine Eyes Have Seen

Mine Eyes Have Seen

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  746 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Why did dedicated Greek doctors taste their patients' ear wax? What did Roman soldiers wear under their kilts? Who had the world's first flushing toilet? Find out in this bound edition of two titles in the Horrible Histories series - The Groovy Greeks and The Rotten Romans.
Published January 1st 2002 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Mine Eyes Have Seen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine Eyes Have Seen

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayRebel Angels by Libba BrayThe Sweet Far Thing by Libba BrayThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Teen Historical Novels
445th out of 559 books — 953 voters
Absalom, Absalom! by William FaulknerEast of Eden by John SteinbeckThe Sun Also Rises by Ernest HemingwayStranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. HeinleinSong of Solomon by Toni Morrison
Book Titles Based on Lines from the Bible
128th out of 186 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Patty G.
Aug 06, 2010 Patty G. rated it really liked it
This is the story of the time spent just before John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry from the preceptive of his 15 year old daughter, Annie. Annie and her sister-in-law spent several months at the Kennedy Farm where John Brown was stratigizing and assembling his men. Annie struggles with the love/hate relationship that she and her siblings have with her father and his God-like attitude in his mission to free the slaves.

I was able to visit the privitaly owned Kennedy Farm this past fall and had re
Sarah Crawford
Feb 02, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is the story of Annie Brown, a daughter of John Brown. It covers the period just before his raid on Harper's Ferry, and how he and those working with him lived in a farmhouse for some time, gathering strength, weapons and working out just how they were going to conduct their raid. Annie was alone to do 'women's work' and to serve as a look-out for the group, although she was not going to be taking part in the raid itself nor in its planning.

John Brown was a fanatic, period. In today's worl
Susannah
Jun 19, 2008 Susannah rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susannah by: Dorese Cornelison
I knew this was a high school level Scholastics book when I began reading it, so I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I've been trying to educate myself a little bit on Harpers Ferry, and this is the story of John Brown's 15 year old daughter Annie and the things that she witnessed in the months leading up to that fateful day in October 1859 when her father attacked the Federal Armory in Harpers Ferry, helping to excite the events that lead to the Civil War. It's historic fiction, so ...more
Nicole
Oct 31, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Ann Rinaldi takes the setting all the way back to a time of slavery and troubles. Annie, a teenage girl, doesn't have the average life. Her father, an overly devoted Christian and unforgiving man, has begun a force against slavery. Having had past trouble with her father, Annie only goes for perfection and satisfaction, but has emotional trouble and breakdowns on the way. Having to live a secret life in a small house full of secrets, slaves, and fear only makes stress worse for Annie. From movin ...more
Mara
This story is everything we Readers come to expect of Rinaldi's writing: beautiful, rich, compelling. Like all of her stories, this one is deeply rooted in historical fact, with only the order of certain events changed up a bit, and the personal thoughts of the characters for the most part fictitious. The people and events surrounding John Brown are brought to vivid reality with Rinaldi's words; she breathes new life into long-dead people, helping the Reader to understand them in a way that few ...more
Ann Valdez
Feb 01, 2015 Ann Valdez rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Middle Schol and High School students
Recommended to Ann by: I bought it because of the author.
Ann Rinaldi is a great writer of historical fiction. This book is about a 3.5 for me. I appreciated the latter half of the book and the author's notes were interesting. I understand the Harper's Ferry incident and John Brown better than I did 2 days ago. This time spent at the Kennedy farm prior to the big event in history is told from daughter Annie Brown's point of view.
Emma
Jul 28, 2014 Emma rated it really liked it
A fascinating book about events happening prior to the Harper's Ferry incident through the eyes of Annie, one of John Brown's (the crazy (really, he was bonkers) leader of this endeavor) daughters. I don't know much about this point in history so I was nice to learn via story form. I like Rinaldis style of writing.
Charlotte
May 26, 2016 Charlotte rated it liked it
Didn't realize it was true. It was really different. Interesting. Didn't pull me in at first but after a while I just had to know if her father would be successful or not.
AlixJamie
Jun 12, 2010 AlixJamie rated it it was amazing
Serafina
Jan 26, 2014 Serafina rated it really liked it
I liked how we were able to see the daughter's point of view of this event. It definitely gave the history a different spin.
Desiree
May 21, 2012 Desiree rated it liked it
It's an overall interesting story with little character development. Not much going on aside from the main plot and there is no real climax to it but it still presents an unusual viewpoint on the slave trade during that era. Find the Pa character entirely worthless as a parent and actually don't feel the least bit of sympathy for and of his failed endeavors. Annoyed for sure the way the family accepts him as he is and think that it's just unbelievable that anyone could follow Pa's crazy adventur ...more
Peggy
Jun 03, 2009 Peggy rated it it was amazing
This is a sad book but absolutely fascinating. It is the story of John Brown and his daughter. I never really knew anything about him, but his religious zeal tore apart his family and caused the deaths of most of his followers. His daughter Annie is never quite good enough for him, and she goes with him to help when he puts his impossible plan for freeing slaves into action. The elements of family dynamics and religious frenzy make the story very interesting.
Traci
May 25, 2009 Traci rated it liked it
This work of historical fiction was very enjoyable. It's the story of Annie Brown, daughter of abolitionist John Brown (raid on Harpers Ferry). I purchased it from scholastic & the elementary school library even had a copy, but I think it should be a higher-than-elementary-level book. Unless you have mature, exceptional readers. But it also might be a nice read-aloud companion to Virginia history or US Civil War history. Definitely recommend it.
Emily Farrar
Jul 08, 2010 Emily Farrar rated it really liked it
Totally loved it. I'm obsessed with reading about the Civil War, and John Brown was a big part of it, and I'm not sure people understand that since he was before the war. I never even knew about him until that "America: the Story of US..." I mean I'd heard his name but never knew anything about him.
I will say one thing, he was a busy man... He had at least 20 kids over his life...........
Abigail
Sep 24, 2008 Abigail rated it really liked it
Ann Rinaldi is great! She writes these historical fiction novels that really are interesting. Every novel has some sort of main character that is usually a girl and they have some part in history. They also tend to all fall in love with somebody that has an influence on their decisions in the books. I really enjoy reading her stuff because I like the history stuff.
Katelyn
Sep 26, 2008 Katelyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Skool Girls
I read this book when I graduated from eight grade. I was on that Washington, D.C. trip and I bought it from some Revolutionary War tourist shop. Ann Rinaldi was pretty popular with my homegirls back in the day and this was my favorite of her books. The way she filters history through a female perspective made for a really enjoyable book for a young tween like me.
Daneen
Jul 25, 2010 Daneen rated it really liked it
This is the story of Annie Brown, daughter of John Brown who fought slavery, by Annie Brown. It is an interesting view from which to tell the story. The story is fiction because the author filled in the blanks that Annie left in her story of her summer with her father and his army in the Kennedy Farm at Harper's Ferry.

Great story and great history!
Nada khaled
Mar 22, 2012 Nada khaled rated it really liked it
Annie brown wrote down her thoughts during the civil war, Annie is the daughter of John Brown, who is was against of economic and social differences between the North and the South, So he was leader of slaves in american civil war.

the novel is good, to who is has interest on american history.
Alyssa
Jun 16, 2011 Alyssa rated it it was ok
This book I had a like/dislike relationship with. The characters were ok, the plot was ok, and setting was fine however parts of the book I just did not like and others I did. So historical fiction fans be warned it's kind of a toss up if you'll like this book or not -don't say I didn't warn you ;)
Marissa
May 14, 2011 Marissa rated it really liked it
Another great historical fiction story from Rinaldi! This book focuses on the Harper's Ferry Raid that John Brown undertook in the years leading up to the Civil War. It is John's daughter, Annie, who assisted with the raid, who is given a voice in Mine Eyes Have Seen. Engaging read!
Sarah Tilatitsky
Mar 24, 2011 Sarah Tilatitsky rated it really liked it
I LOVE THIS BOOK SOOOOOO MUCH THAT I WOULD READ THIS OVER 10 TIMES!!!! No, I swear. This book is heartbreaking, brave, true and yet so good and wholesome. I swear that people would read this book and love it and not say that it sucks. Read, enjoy, and love. ...more
Angelie
Sep 13, 2012 Angelie rated it it was amazing
a beautiful story even though its end is a tragic one. :( i love it. i love annie brown. i love mrs. huffmaster. i love martha. i love every character :)nice story of john brown's fight against slavery in Kansas by ms. ann rinaldi :) God is good!
Kaarin
Oct 02, 2008 Kaarin rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Ann Rinaldi, and this is one of her stronger books. One of the things I really like about Rinaldi's works is her painstaking research and interesting protagonist perspectives, and this book is a good example of both.
Susan Phelan
The history of this was interesting - told from the POV of a daughter of John Brown the abolitionist. But it often felt more like a history book than a story - there was no emotional connection.
Becky
May 03, 2010 Becky rated it liked it
It was an enjoyable historical fiction. I like it when the author litterally tells you at the end what was fact and what was fiction. It would have been a hard family and time to live in.
Shannon
Jul 13, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This book broke my heart. It's about John Brown, his conspirators, and his children before the raid on Harper's Ferry. If you know history you know what happens, but it's still very sad.
Mallory
May 06, 2010 Mallory rated it it was ok
This wasn't my favorite of Ann Rinaldi's books. It was disappointing and I didn't like the way the dad treated Annie or how the story turned out. I wouldn't really recommend it.
Mckenzie
Jul 18, 2007 Mckenzie rated it really liked it
I read this a while ago. It is based on a true story which I knew nothing about before I read it. It was pretty interesting
Erin
May 02, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
quite interesting book and awesome to learn about what lead up to the civil war!
Asenath
May 13, 2009 Asenath rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-lit
Story of a historical event. Depressing, and I felt it was a waste of time.
  • Charley Skedaddle
  • Stealing Freedom
  • Sacajawea
  • How I Found the Strong
  • A Bone From a Dry Sea
  • The Ransom of Mercy Carter
  • Lord Kirkle's Money (Beyond the Western Sea, #2)
  • Annie, Between the States
  • Beyond the Burning Time
  • Anak ng Lupa
  • The Prisoner (Orphan, #1)
  • Assassin
  • Cat in the Mirror
  • Hear the Wind Blow
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • Annie Oakley: Young Markswoman
  • The War Within: A Novel of the Civil War
Ann Rinaldi (b. August 27, 1934, in New York City) is a young adult fiction author. She is best known for her historical fiction, including In My Father's House, The Last Silk Dress, An Acquaintance with Darkness, A Break with Charity, and Hang a Thousand Trees with Ribbons. She has written a total of forty novels, eight of which were listed as notable by the ALA. In 2000, Wolf by the Ears was lis ...more
More about Ann Rinaldi...