Mutiny's Daughter

Mutiny's Daughter

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  18 reviews
What if? In the most famous mutiny in the world, Fletcher Christian risked imprisonment by leading a rebellion aboard the HMS Bounty in 1789. But what happened to Fletcher Christian after that? There were stories that he survived a vicious massacre in the South Pacific and boarded a ship back to England. We know that he had several children by his Polynesian wife, includin...more
Published June 1st 2005 by HarperTrophy (first published 2004)

Rebekah
This book is the story of a young girl whose father is the famous mutineer Christian Fletcher. Mary never knew her father but she believes she sees him sometimes in the streets of London by her boarding school.
Jeanine
I love this book alot. But it has some challenging vocab for some people but not for me!
Mara
This is a wonderful "what if" story, filled with Rinaldi's classic historical detail, adding such life to her fiction that it's hard to pick the made-up from the facts. Mary is a very well balanced heroine, neither too forceful nor too meek, though perhaps a little too accepting of her situations at times. Still, she is a good narrator; one that doesn't get on one's nerves.

The only flaw with this particular Ann Rinaldi novel? Like all boarding-school stories, there is the jerky prim and proper g...more
Rebecca
In her latest historical novel, Ann Rinaldi tells a "what-if" story. She imagines what might have happened had Fletcher Christian, who led the famous mutiny on the HMS Bounty, returned to England with Mary, his daughter by his Polynesian wife. Mary Christian is fourteen when this novel opens, and ever since she was brought to England at five years old, she has been forced to live a lie. Raised by her grandmother, she must tell anyone who asks that her uncle is her true father, for her grandmothe...more
Alyssa
This book was defineately interesting! It was about the daughter of a mutineer that was brought to england. At first the book was quite dry and a bit boring, but keep reading 'cause it perks up some in the middle. The characters were fine, the plot was ok, and the setting was fine. It was almost a knockoff of "The Little Princess", but it was still good. Nothing made me really love or really hate this book so I'll give 3 stars.
Peggy
I knew about the "Mutiny on the Bounty" story but was not very familiar with what led to the mutiny. This book approaches the story from the viewpoint of Mary, the daughter of Fletcher Christian, leader of the mutiny,and speculates on what might have happened if father and daughter were reunited. This was an interesting perspective on the background of the mutiny and a reminder that our actions affect many people.
Sydney Reithinger
I found this book to be interesting for a historical novel. I liked this book, but found it boring at some points. I enjoyed learning about a girl similar to my age living in London in the 1800s. It was interesting to hear how they spoke, acted, and dressed back then. I recommend this book to younger readers, as it is more of a children's book than an adult novel.
Jenny
Mary Fletcher hides a secret past. Her father is Fletcher Christian, instigator of the mutiny aboard the Bounty. Now at school in London, Mary must pretend she is the daughter of her Uncle Charles. If anyone discovers her real identity, her family would be disgraced. Will Mary keep her secret, and will she ever see her father again?
Kelli
As with any Ann Rinaldi book, you get the very best of research. This was one that I thought to concept and premise of the story seemed more exciting than the actual read. As I get older, I am getting to the point that, when I reread Ann Rinaldi's books, I am not satisfied with her endings (with the except of a few).
Michelle
The "What if..." of the famous mutiny of the HMS Bounty in 1789 by Fletcher Christian. It follows the story of his daughter and her longing for a father, her journey of growing up and discovery. A fast, entertaining, sweet read.
Carol Hahn
While the story was pleasant enough, I didn't find it as historically accurate as some of her other books. This was definitely a "what if...." story.
Books4m
Such a good imaginaive, historical piece. I really enjoyed the story and the slight mystery
Michelle
VERY GOOD BOOK! if you enjoy reading pirate novels than this one is one you must read!
Jessie
I love historical fiction but Mutiny's Daughter was not my cup of tea.
Karen
another by one of my favorite authors--Ann Rinandi
Abbiey
it was great and heartwarming
Tracy
Weak plot and characters.
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
Alyssa (The Shady Glade) is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Téa
Téa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Livre
Livre added it
Jun 23, 2014
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
karoorak
karoorak marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
  • Cecile: Gates of Gold
  • One Eye Laughing, the Other Eye Weeping: The Diary of Julie Weiss, Vienna, Austria, to New York, 1938 (Dear America)
  • Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot (Girls of Many Lands)
  • The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)
  • Down the Rabbit Hole, Chicago, Illinois, 1871: The Diary of Pringle Rose (Dear America)
  • Where Have All the Flowers Gone?: The Diary of Molly MacKenzie Flaherty, Boston, Massachusetts, 1968 (Dear America)
  • A Time For Courage: The Suffragette Diary of Kathleen Bowen, Washington D.C., 1917 (Dear America)
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer, New York City to the Western Front, 1917 (Dear America Series)
  • Lady of Palenque : Flower of Bacal, Mesoamerica, A.D. 749
  • Lord Kirkle's Money (Beyond the Western Sea, #2)
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl, New Mexico, 1864 (Dear America)
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalia de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota, New Yeovil, Minnesota 1873 (Dear America Series)
  • Anacaona: Golden Flower, Haiti, 1490
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder, the Santa Fe Trail, 1848 (Dear America)
  • Cannons at Dawn: The Second Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1779 (Dear America)
  • Color Me Dark: The Diary of Nellie Lee Love, the Great Migration North, Chicago, Illinois, 1919 (Dear America)
Ann Rinaldi (b. August 27, 1934, in New York City) is a young adult fiction author. She is best known for her historical fiction, including In My Father's House, The Last Silk Dress, An Acquaintance with Darkness, A Break with Charity, and Hang a Thousand Trees with Ribbons. She has written a total of forty novels, eight of which were listed as notable by the ALA. In 2000, Wolf by the Ears was lis...more
More about Ann Rinaldi...
A Break with Charity: A Story about the Salem Witch Trials Time Enough for Drums Girl in Blue The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre The Last Silk Dress