Start by marking “The Magic Fish-bone” as Want to Read:
The Magic Fish-bone

The Magic Fish-bone

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This is the extraordinary story of a very nearly ordinary princess named Alicia. Given a magic fish-bone by a good fairy, Alicia can have whatever she wishes-provided she wishes for it at the right time. But it's never clear when the right time is, and sometimes the best magic is no magic at all....

Perfectly matched by Robert Florczak's spectacular illustrations, this funn
Published October 1st 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1867)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Fish-bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Fish-bone

Shawn Thrasher
Odd but cute. The Fairy Godmother as a type rather than a bland cypher is always clever; making her a character rather than deus ex machina is fun and Dicken's sassy fairy godmother definitely steals the show. The only other passages in the book - and they are short - where Dicken's shines is when he writes of the Duchess, Princess Alicia's doll. The entire story is sweetly mocking fairy tales and childhood stories, with a brush of snark - but the Duchess if pure sentimentality (she inhabits the ...more
Sean
I love Dickens, but this little fairy tale was just--meh. It's a cute little story, but not very memorable and it didn't do much for me.
Alastair Hudson
Jul 13, 2015 Alastair Hudson rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: fiction, childrens
It was by Charles Dickens. Beyond that this is an unremarkable fairy tale told tongue in cheek by a Victorian writer.
Alicia keeps us and her father guessing as the main protagonist; self-assured and in charge. Extra-ordinary facts are revealed (How many children!?)
We enjoy the typical fairy tale mystery and everything comes good in the end. A nice touch is that an annoying dog dies (I liked this bit, my daughter didn't...). No fairy tale would be complete without something dying. 'Moral of the T
Adriana Boltaeva
Marvelous fairy tale of the victorian days. Represents the typical function of the literature magic tale. by V. Propp we see different typical functions in the text. magic gift, problems and their solving, wedding. no fairy tale can be without it.
Heather Bruins
Absolutely adorable! I'll be reading this to my granddaughter
Rachel
I have read this book aloud to my younger siblings countless times, and we all love it. The story is like a fantasy that a little girl might have about getting a magic talisman that can grant a wisely-chosen wish, but Dickens tells it in such a way as to draw out its childishness and humor. And like a good Victorian, Dickens inserts a Moral into his whimsical plot: "when we have tried our very best, and tried all ways, then I think it is time to ask the help of others."
Lynnea
This was way too hard to follow or get into for a children's book.
Julie
Jan 03, 2011 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
A very quirky little story, told as if it was written by a seven-year-old girl. If you take into account that Dickens wrote the story like a child might, the improbable ending isn't as odd. Children hear fairy stories all the time that end in marriage so it's not a huge leap to imagine that they'd end their stories the same way. Still, ASPCA is probably right to be concerned about the "author" Miss Alice Rainbird.
Jenny
I was unfamiliar with this story before reading this book. It is a delightful story and would be wonderful to read aloud to a child. I was disappointed with the illustrations. Although they are beautiful, I don't think that some of them match the story.
Lila
This book was at my great aunt's house which made it less available and therefore a little more special than the books at home. My siblings and I could recite chunks of it ("Where is the magic fishbone?" "In my pocket, papa", etc.)
Christopher DeSantis
I love this children's tale (with a cautionary moral for adults - be good then, and don't!). The language is delicious and whimsical - all praise to Dickens' craftsmanship.
L.R. Green
I expected it to be better, it being written by Dickens but I didn't think it was that great. The story didn't flow well at all, but I guess it was still cute.
Sheryl Tribble
Loved this as a child. I had the Best In Children's Books version, illustrated by Robin Jacques, where Alicia looks more 14 than 7, IMHO.
Bologna_frog
A funny little story. Apparently, marriage at seven years and a multitude of children was every girl's fantasy.
Elaine
Good story with a very weird ending..a seven year old girl gets married and the dog chokes to death.
Tanya
Oct 26, 2013 Tanya rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tanya by: Book list
Not a fan of the ending, but liked the illustrations and the very wise and industrious Alicia.
Kyrie
I don't know why it was a favorite, but I do remember loving this tale as a kid.
Tammy
I liked it except for the ending. The illustrations were cute!!
Vandy
very well illustrated.
gr 1 n up
Jane
A great Victorian fairy tale.
Raquel
Raquel added it
Jul 30, 2015
Stephanie Hall
Stephanie Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Cyndi
Cyndi marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Serenity River
Serenity River marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Ruby
Ruby marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Victorian
Victorian marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Dione Basseri
Dione Basseri marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Sarah Bayless
Sarah Bayless marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • Haunted House
  • Mr. Majeika
  • A Book of Nonsense - More Nonsense
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
  • Dailan Kifki
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • Come Away From the Water, Shirley
  • Les contes du chat perché
  • Anno's Journey
  • The Night Pirates
  • Pejsek a kočička
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • The Real Thief
  • My Place
  • The Boy Who Grew Flowers
A prolific 19th Century author of short stories, plays, novellas, novels, fiction and non-fiction; during his lifetime Dickens became known the world over for his remarkable characters, his mastery of prose in the telling of their lives, and his depictions of the social classes, morals and values of his times. Some considered him the spokesman for the poor, for he definitely brought much awarenes ...more
More about Charles Dickens...
A Tale of Two Cities Great Expectations A Christmas Carol Oliver Twist David Copperfield