Start by marking “Out of my Depth” as Want to Read:
Out of my Depth

Out of my Depth

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  309 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
When Susie decides to invite her old school friends for a reunion she tells herself that it's just about showing off. It's about letting Amanda, Izzy and Tamsin, see how well she's done, with her successful career as an artist, her gorgeous house in France, her deliciously louche boyfriend. But the truth is that this is a dark plan. A plan that could make or break her seem ...more
Published 2007 by Headline Review (first published December 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Out of my Depth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of my Depth

Foreigner in My Own Backyard by Travis CaseyForbidden Trouble by Travis CaseyPeace, Love, & Romance by Jennifer TheriotMay Day by Thom  StarkThe Sorrows of Young Mike by John Zelazny
Vacation Reads
30th out of 272 books — 132 voters
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaI've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
British Chick Lit
271st out of 286 books — 305 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Susie, Izzy, Amanda and Tamsin were best friends in high school, but like most of us they have lost touch over the years. Just prior to graduation they decided to hold a ten year reunion to see where their lives had taken them.
Susie, flushed with success and eager to show off her perfect life - her successful career as an artist, a wonderful house in France and a delicious live in lover - invites them to join her for a long weekend.
But Susie, Amanda and Izzy share a secret, one Susie is now det
Oct 04, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
I was really enjoying this and would have given it 4 stars but the ending let it down. It was very rushed and ended pretty abruptly to the point where I even checked if some pages were missing!
Sarah Echo
Jun 28, 2015 Sarah Echo rated it really liked it
I read this book in one day…I absolutely could not put it down. The story grabs you from the very beginning, and doesn’t let go until the last page. The four friends, Susie, Amanda, Izzy, and Tamsin, are so different from each other, and yet they all seem to belong together. Also, their differences give the reader a richer experience, as all four of them experienced the tragedy that ultimately ended their friendship in different ways. One thing I liked a lot about this story is that not all of ...more
Samidha Kalia
Jul 06, 2015 Samidha Kalia rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Honestly speaking I was a little disappointed with the book. The book is pretty easy going and you can really relate to the truthfulness and experience of the teenage years and the hardships that people face.
The book was beautiful divided giving everybody's POV once in a while in third person. I enjoyed the high school moments.
One of the characters that I utterly hated was AMANDA , I mean I hated her from the start.
The book is usually about this very famous Artist, Susie and her French boyfri
Sue
Feb 13, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
Never judge a book by it's cover! I almost didn't read this book because I hate anything to do with drowning etc. No need to have worried! Nothing to do with the sea/swimming pools!! I am a fan of Emily Barr and this book didn't disappoint. Quite a page-turner with a few twists and turns along the way. The only reason I didn't give 5* was the ending. The book may have been left open-ended for a sequel and would be good to use in a reading group because there is lots of room left for debate, but ...more
Beth Lloyd
Mar 19, 2012 Beth Lloyd rated it it was ok
Good, though the conclusion was a bit weak, wanted to know more about the friendships.
Squeegielu
Jun 20, 2011 Squeegielu rated it it was amazing
loved it
Janet
Aug 01, 2011 Janet rated it really liked it
I've long been a fan of Emily Barr's books - the majority of her previous offerings have been dark and gritty. Her last book, "Plan B", was, I felt, rather lacking in the suspense that she does so well - that said, it was a good read.

For me, "Out of My Depth" marks a very near return to form. The story moves from present to past effortlessly and the characters are well-written and believable. The story is a good one and there are a few twists and turns along the way. I still felt that some of th
Dorothy
Oct 20, 2013 Dorothy rated it it was ok
I hated the ending - but don't worry, no spoilers here. I couldn't if I tried - because even though I've finished the book, I still don't know how it ends!

The plot of this book poses several questions, the main ones being:

- What is the guilty secret that makes three of the friends so nervous around the fourth, Tamsin?

- Why is Susie's mysterious client commissioning portraits?

- What will become of Patrick and Amanda's marriage?

- Is Roman really the one for Susie, or is he just using her as a meal
Gem
Mar 18, 2016 Gem rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Emily Barr's books and this was no exception - I was gripped right from the beginning. I found the characters all very plausible and realistic, and their relationships to each other were interesting. I did find the ending slightly abrupt, but overall I loved it :)
syrin
Nov 01, 2015 syrin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-2015
It was ok, but just that. I don't know if the problem was my current book slump, or the characters, that never really "apoke" to me, but I just didn't enjoy this one as much as the previous one.
Daphne
I would have given it 4 stars if it hadn't been for the ending. I enjoyed the present moments with the reunion and the things that happened in France, but with the amount of buildup the flashback scenes got and with all the hints about what really happened, I was disappointed in the "big reveal"at the end. It wasn't surprising at all and there was no real twist, it was easy to figure it out long before it was spelled out for you.

Another thing that disappointed me was how the plotline with stran
Claudia
Aug 21, 2015 Claudia rated it liked it
I did like the book, it reads very nicely. However, the ending is a bit abrupt and I wished there would be a bit more there.
Overall a nice book.
Aimee Jean
Apr 29, 2015 Aimee Jean rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get into it. might have to give it another try later on. but for now Ill leave it and try another :)
Rebecca Haslam
May 11, 2011 Rebecca Haslam rated it liked it
I read this on holiday and couldn't help but identify with the idea of friends hiding a secret from their closest. As I read more and discovered the lives of the central characters, how well or badly they had done since school, I pictured myself in similar situations; single, rich or poor, and for me, that abiioty to relate to such characters made this book worth a read.
It is not one of the best I have ever read, but if I had to, some years down the line, I would probably pick it up again to se
Nannette
Feb 27, 2016 Nannette rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, fiction
Nice story, well written.
Hannie
Nov 09, 2015 Hannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Klasgenoten is zeker een aanrader voor iedereen die van chicklits met wat diepgang houdt. Hoewel Emily Barr best wel serieuze onderwerpen behandeld, is het geen zwaarmoedig boek.
Het geheim dat drie van de vier vriendinnen delen, had ik op een gegeven moment wel door, maar dan nog blijft het boek interessant om verder te lezen.
De vier hoofdpersonen hebben samen op school gezeten in Cardiff. Ik heb daar een klein jaar gewoond, dus bepaalde dingen herken ik wel. Dat maakt het lezen van dit boek a
Ansheeta
Apr 03, 2016 Ansheeta rated it really liked it
Just what I was in need of to kick start my reading habit again. Good drama.
Judith Yeabsley
Aug 09, 2013 Judith Yeabsley rated it really liked it
I read this in bits so it was difficult at first as it is viewed from the point of view of every character and from their perspective as a teenager and then as an adult. It was hard to keep track of who was who and what was happening (maybe would have been easier if I'd read more consistently). As I got deeper into the book I got more invested in it though and enjoyed the developing of the people and the plot.
Found another of hers in the library and grabbed it so guess that's a good recommendati
Cláudia
Sep 08, 2011 Cláudia rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2011
Another good book from Emily Barr, when you want something light but with lots of seriousness in it, you know where to get it. As usual too, lots of loose ends at the final pages, don't expect to have it all laid back in nice words. We understand what the secret is a long way before the ending, but that doesn't make it less interesting, it's a page turner and it has a surprising twist!
penelopewanders
Apr 12, 2009 penelopewanders rated it really liked it
So far I have very much enjoyed every book I've read by this author (all three - Baggage and plan B...). They have all concerned issues of identity, always a fascinating subject. This one, about a reunion of friends after their tight circle was torn apart by tragedy, was intriguing, although it was not my favorite. Definitely an author I will continue to look out for.
kelly
Nov 24, 2015 kelly rated it liked it
After reading a few of Emily's other books I gave this a try. It began promising but by the end I wasnt impresssed. It could have been a little better, there was I few times in the plot I was slightly dissapointed and thought oh what if you had gone there rather than where the story went. Overall its a good holiday read if you want something light.
Booksdingle
Mar 09, 2011 Booksdingle rated it liked it
I quite enjoyed it, its a good holiday read - lying on a sunlounger by the pool! Not exactly taxing and not massively exciting but jogs along nicely and kept my interest - thought the ending was poor though seemed to all stop very abruptly. I would read more of her books, Backpack sounds interesting.
Diane
May 16, 2016 Diane rated it liked it
Tiah
Dec 21, 2009 Tiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy read for people who don't need their light-lit to be "light" in all ways, including everything to end up "just peachy" and neatly tied up. Serious issues framed by an entertaining story line.
Jason Pym
Mar 02, 2011 Jason Pym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-fiction
Very enjoyable, and unlike previous one I read of hers (Cuban Heels) all the characters ring true. Ending a little unstatisfying, but otherwise a great read.
Sonia
Sep 05, 2008 Sonia rated it really liked it
Emily Barr is always a good read. Thanks to Wendy for introducing me to her on my very lazy holiday in France!
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Wyanne
Wyanne added it
Aug 21, 2016
  • The Stepmothers' Support Group
  • Verkikkerd (Verkikkerd #1)
  • Spa Wars
  • The Love Hexagon
  • Le brave ragazze combinano guai
  • Pedigree Mum
  • Drie vrienden, een huis (en een klusjesman)
  • Verlovingstijd
  • L'Auberge
  • A Friend of the Family
  • De ooggetuige
  • Dorst
  • Swallowing Grandma
  • Three In A Bed
  • Come Together (Jack & Amy, #1)
  • Het pauperparadijs
  • Yours, Faithfully
  • Growing Up Twice
Emily Barr worked as a journalist in London, but always hankered after a quiet room and a book to write. She went travelling for a year, writing a column in the Guardian about it as she went, and it was there that she had an idea for a novel set in the world of backpackers in Asia. This became Backpack, which won the WH Smith New Talent Award. She has since written eleven more adult novels publish ...more
More about Emily Barr...