Start by marking “Jacob & the Prodigal: How Jesus Retold Israel's Story” as Want to Read:
Jacob & the Prodigal: How Jesus Retold Israel's Story

Jacob & the Prodigal: How Jesus Retold Israel's Story

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Israel, the community to which Jesus belonged, took its name from their patriarch Jacob. His story of exile and return was their story as well. In the well-known tale of the prodigal son, Jesus reshaped the story in his own way and for his own purposes. In this work, Kenneth E. Bailey compares the Old Testament saga and the New Testament parable. He unpacks similarities fr...more
Published April 24th 2003 by IVP Academic

To ask other readers questions about Jacob & the Prodigal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacob & the Prodigal

Graham
The author brings his formidable knowledge of life in the Middle East at the time of Christ to bear on the story of the prodigal son. It turns out that those listening to the story from Jesus would have understood it very differently to the way it seems to us and Mr Bailey explains why. Reading this book made me realise how many false assumptions I made when reading the story.
I can't recommend this book highly enough. If you think you know the story of the prodigal son, read this and it will he...more
Phil
I took my time reading this book because I enjoyed it so. Every page demonstrated Dr. Bailey's erudition as a scholar and exegete. Several decades ago it became the fashion to examine Paul's Epistles in light of Greco-Roman rhetoric and social values, and this in turn came to be extended to the Gospels. Dr. Bailey, who lived in Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan for some forty years, and is an expert in Semitic languages, asked: Why not examine the Gospels in light of Semitic social values? And to that...more
Mackad
Do you want to know how Jesus the theologian retold Israel's story in the light of God's grace? Read this book.
Thank you Dr Bailey!

Jon Sedlak
Bailey's take on the story of the Prodigal son is intriguing, and well worth the study. I thought the arrangement of the book was a little drawn out though. Once I finished the book, I thought he could have made his point much sooner, therefore leaving the book a bit shorter. After the first 50 pages, the book starts to get interesting. After 100 pages, it gets really interesting. And the book is only a couple hundred pages long.
Steven Wedgeworth
I read this book in seminary and thought it was fantastic. The pairing of the Prodigal Son with the Jacob and Esau reunion narrative was very compelling and very helpful. I've found myself going back to this book for sermon resources many times.
Kristen
i love this book. it gives a completly different take on the story of the prodigal son, which i've learned is too often misinterpreted.
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Tony
Tony added it
Oct 07, 2014
Don Bryant
Don Bryant marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Jeanie
Jeanie marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Matthew Colvin
Matthew Colvin is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Darcy
Darcy added it
Jul 05, 2014
Eric Christenson
Eric Christenson marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Brian Robbins
Brian Robbins marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Philip Mcclarty
Philip Mcclarty marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Joey Cochran
Joey Cochran marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Philip Taylor
Philip Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Nicky Moorman
Nicky Moorman marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
After undergraduate and seminary studies, Dr. Bailey completed degrees in Arabic Language and Literature, Systematic Theology and a doctorate in New Testament. Ordained by the Presbyterian Church (USA), Dr. Bailey spent 40 years (1955-1995) living and teaching in seminaries and institutes in Egypt, Lebanon, Jerusalem and Cyprus.

For 20 of those years Dr. Bailey was Professor of New Testament and He...more
More about Kenneth E. Bailey...
Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels Poet & Peasant, and Through Peasant Eyes: A Literary-Cultural Approach to the Parables in Luke The Cross & the Prodigal: Luke 15 Through the Eyes of Middle Eastern Peasants Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes: Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians Finding the Lost: Culture Keys to Luke 15 (Concordia Scholarship Today)