Start by marking “Smart Exercise: Burning Fat, Getting Fit” as Want to Read:
Smart Exercise: Burning Fat, Getting Fit

Smart Exercise: Burning Fat, Getting Fit

Best-selling author Covert Bailey has revolutionized thinking about health and fitness. Smart Exercise is a comprehensive guide to exercise and a lucid explanation of how our bodies stay fit or fat. Most important, Smart Exercise reveals the world's best-kept secret about fitness: keep your muscles in peak form and everything else will follow. Using his famous sense of hum
Published January 5th 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Co (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Smart Exercise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Exercise

Jeff
Jan 19, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing
It's getting a bit dated, but this is still one of the best "exercise" books I've found.
Bailey (my former phys ed prof at Missoula in 1978!) is well qualified, reliable, and funny. He's not afraid to say what he thinks, and what people really need to know. After this book, most things on exercise are just fluff ("eat this not that"). Covert goes into the biology and tells you Why. I keep rereading this book every few months.
Foxthyme
Oct 11, 2007 Foxthyme rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Covert Bailey can relate exercise physiology like nobody else. He dispells exercise myths and clarifies the best ways to get the most out of your physical activity. How to be a 'better butter burner.' Forget all the fad stuff, go with Bailey.
Brian Wooden
Oct 09, 2014 Brian Wooden rated it it was amazing
The science of nutrition and body chemistry explained well enough to create your own diet and exercise program based on common sense, eschewing fads. Explains carb loading for those competing in endurance events too.
Laurence
May 10, 2009 Laurence rated it liked it
Besides getting an easy education in the many chemical reactions that go into our metabolism, I came away with a resolution to warm up.
I am far from being a fitness fanatic, I just love to get out and move whenever I can.
This book was on Debbie's shelf and piqued my curiosity.
Beate Bjørsnøs
Dec 19, 2014 Beate Bjørsnøs rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book! Interesting explanations (funny examples) and daring language towards lazy people. Unfortunately I think he might have selectively chosen his references to match hos theories. An update with a good source list would be nice.
Edit Ostrom
Feb 14, 2014 Edit Ostrom rated it it was amazing
Loved it. The only book ever to inspire me to exercise daily. Thanks, Covert Bailey!
Jenny
Jul 07, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
Jeff sent this to me and has been so excited for me to finish it....but I have been browsing through it for almost 2 years now!
Snohotom
Oct 09, 2012 Snohotom rated it really liked it
This book really taught me the basics of exercise fundementals. I highly recommend it.
Beth A.
Apr 03, 2008 Beth A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, health
I re-read this book whenever I am about to start an exercise program. It has a lot of great information about fitness and is very motivating.
Barry
Jan 20, 2016 Barry rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Authoritative but unnecessarily technical and hard to read in places.
Kelly
Apr 28, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's a bit out of date ... but Covert does a great job of explaining what's happening in your body when you exercise. Very accessible.
Bryan C
Bryan C rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2009
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
Mathieu
Mathieu rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2009
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2009
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2008
Jesse Barnum
Jesse Barnum rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Anil
Anil rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2008
Elizabeth Claiborne
Elizabeth Claiborne rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Patrick Rusk
Patrick Rusk rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Amara
Amara rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2011
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Larry Chrispyn
Larry Chrispyn rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Brenda Humphreys
Brenda Humphreys rated it it was ok
May 04, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
May 07, 2013
Shannon Tompkins
Shannon Tompkins rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Stop the Insanity
  • Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly
  • The Core Program: Fifteen Minutes a Day That Can Change Your Life
  • Attention Deficit Disorder - The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)
  • Stretching
  • Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health--in Just Weeks!
  • The New Six-Point Plan for Raising Happy, Healthy Children
  • The Insulin-Resistance Diet
  • Natural Health, Natural Medicine
  • Mother-Daughter Wisdom: Understanding the Crucial Link Between Mothers, Daughters, and Health
  • The DASH Diet for Hypertension
  • Becoming China's Bitch: And Nine More Catastrophes We Must Avoid Right Now
  • World War IV: The Long Struggle Against Islamofascism
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • Autism: The Scientific Truth About Preventing, Diagnosing, and Treating Autism SpectrumDisorders - and What Parents Can Do Now
  • Meditation Secrets for Women: Discovering Your Passion, Pleasure, and Inner Peace
  • The Maffetone Method: The Holistic, Low-Stress, No-Pain Wathe Maffetone Method: The Holistic, Low-Stress, No-Pain Way to Exceptional Fitness y to Exceptional Fitness
  • NOT A BOOK: What the (Bleep) Just Happened?: The Happy Warrior's Guide to the Great American Comeback