Start by marking “Smart Exercise: Burning Fat, Getting Fit” as Want to Read:
Smart Exercise: Burning Fat, Getting Fit

Smart Exercise: Burning Fat, Getting Fit

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Best-selling author Covert Bailey has revolutionized thinking about health and fitness. Smart Exercise is a comprehensive guide to exercise and a lucid explanation of how our bodies stay fit or fat. Most important, Smart Exercise reveals the world's best-kept secret about fitness: keep your muscles in peak form and everything else will follow. Using his famous sense of hum ...more
Published January 5th 1996 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Smart Exercise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Exercise

Brian Wooden
The science of nutrition and body chemistry explained well enough to create your own diet and exercise program based on common sense, eschewing fads. Explains carb loading for those competing in endurance events too.
Edit Ostrom
Loved it. The only book ever to inspire me to exercise daily. Thanks, Covert Bailey!
Laurence
Besides getting an easy education in the many chemical reactions that go into our metabolism, I came away with a resolution to warm up.
I am far from being a fitness fanatic, I just love to get out and move whenever I can.
This book was on Debbie's shelf and piqued my curiosity.
Beate Bjørsnøs
I loved reading this book! Interesting explanations (funny examples) and daring language towards lazy people. Unfortunately I think he might have selectively chosen his references to match hos theories. An update with a good source list would be nice.
Foxthyme
Covert Bailey can relate exercise physiology like nobody else. He dispells exercise myths and clarifies the best ways to get the most out of your physical activity. How to be a 'better butter burner.' Forget all the fad stuff, go with Bailey.
Beth A.
I re-read this book whenever I am about to start an exercise program. It has a lot of great information about fitness and is very motivating.
Kelly
It's a bit out of date ... but Covert does a great job of explaining what's happening in your body when you exercise. Very accessible.
Jenny
Jeff sent this to me and has been so excited for me to finish it....but I have been browsing through it for almost 2 years now!
Snohotom
This book really taught me the basics of exercise fundementals. I highly recommend it.
Bernie
Most thorough book on exercise out there.
Jeff
It's getting a bit dated, but this is still one of the best "exercise" books I've found.
Bailey (my former phys ed prof at Missoula in 1978!) is well qualified, reliable, and funny. He's not afraid to say what he thinks, and what people really need to know. After this book, most things on exercise are just fluff ("eat this not that"). Covert goes into the biology and tells you Why. I keep rereading this book every few months.
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 17, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Adon
Adon marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Alden Magrata
Alden Magrata marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Melissa Kieler
Melissa Kieler marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jan 11, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Lesley
Lesley added it
Nov 11, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Nov 10, 2014
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Van Flemming
Van Flemming marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
New Fit or Fat 91 Pa Fit or Fat? The Ultimate Fit or Fat The Fit or Fat Woman The Fit or Fat Target Diet