Start by marking “I Love You Rituals” as Want to Read:
I Love You Rituals

I Love You Rituals

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  39 reviews
I Love You Rituals offers more than seventy delightful rhymes and games that send the message of unconditional love and enhance children's social, emotional, and school success.Winner of a 1999 Parent's Guide Children's Media Award, these positive nursery rhymes, interactive finger plays, soothing games, and physically active can be played with children from infancy throug ...more
Published November 21st 2000 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You Rituals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love You Rituals

Leta
I loved this book. I found it amazingly helpful in dealing with young children. I see a total transformation in my children when I do an "I love you ritual" with them. When I sense a tantrum or breakdown approaching, I simply do a ritual and the tense situation is immediately diffused which then allows me to address the issue that was going to cause the meltdown and my children are in a state where they can be taught because they feel loved. Try it. It's the gospel. It works. I also loved learni ...more
Valerie Stonesifer
I really like the idea of the I love you rituals, but I didn't really like any of the hand rhymes/games included in this book. They were all a little too cheesy for us, maybe. We made up a few of our own & have been looking through other books of hand rhymes to incorporate into our routine. My kids really appreciate the rituals that we do, though; the book was definitely worth the read.
Melanie
I've had my eye on this book for quite awhile and since it wasn't available at my library, I finally just purchased it.

I LOVE the premise of this book- to create small rituals that we do with our children to let them know we love them. One I've done with my kids for quite awhile is the Hand Squeeze. Since it's a little inconvenient to get out the van to give them a hug every time I drop them off somewhere, we exchange a hand squeeze before they hop out. I feel it allows me to connect with them b
Julie
The premise of this book is simple: it lists activities that you can do with your younger child (ages 10 & under, mostly) that are designed to increase bonding and closeness. Most of the activities involve physical contact, are game-like and engaging to a little one, and have an underlying intention of promoting trusting and attached feelings between the child and the primary caregiver. It is organized very well and easy to navigate to just the type of activity you want.

On a personal level,
Brandy Mcdonald
I was actually pretty disappointed in this book. What I did like was the ideas for the I Love You rituals- basically time you take to focus on making your child feel loved and deserving of your time. I thought these were great and have already started implementing a lot of them.

But there was a lot that I didn't agree with. I think that in many points she was a little far fetched. According to her, kids play hide and seek to see if you care enough to find them. Honestly, I think kids play hide a
Julie
The first 1/3 of the book makes a pretty good case for the importance of little rituals. They build trust, relationship, etc. They serve as inside jokes or shortcuts for quickly touching back to those trusting, cooperating, loving moments. (My take, not exactly what the book says.) And lots of stuff on the importance of having well centered, trusting, loved kids.

The remaining 2/3 are little rhyming games to do on fingers or bodies during quiet times (e.g. as you're getting ready to put shoes on
Brigetta Barone
I love this idea but not the specific rhymes and finger plays in the book. However, the book stirred me to create to create my own and to make me very aware of the power of even brief moments of focused, concentrated connection with each child every day. Great concept, well worth the read.
Laurel
I liked this book, and would maybe give it 3.5 stars if that was an option. I'm glad I checked it out from the library, though, and didn't buy it. I just think that the promises on the front that it boosts brain potential, encourages cooperation and caring, increases attention, etc. are kind of big for just doing "where is thumbkin?" before bed. I love the ideas and plan to implement some of them, and I recognize the importance of rituals, I just thought it was funny the way the author wrote abo ...more
Elizabeth
Just finished skimming this book again. I really like the part where the author talks about what different kinds of games there are and what they mean. Games like Peek-a-boo/Hide-n-seek, Chase, pretending to be asleep, pretending to be a baby etc... all have to do with a need to know you are loved and wanted.

I like the collections of rhymes and games in the back, but i think his ideas work better if you work with games you are already familiar with. you can make anything into an "I Love You" Rit
Audra
I thought this book was okay. I think that some of the attachment parenting books are better, and the Theraplay resources infinitely so. I didn't think it added that much new to what already exists, and the other books are better at explaining WHY we play these games. That being said, if you do not have an attachment-challenged child and are just looking for fun games, this would be a great book for you.
Jasmin
This book is a fantastic resource! I think it is worth reading even just for the first few chapters; it opened my eyes to the ramifications of constant praise and the importance of just noticing your child and vocalizing your observations. This is a great guide of fun little rituals/games/songs you can easily incorporate into your day to help build loving bonds with your child.
Ianna
A great book which provides simple concepts to foster more loving realtionships with your children. Fabulous ideas that really hit home for me. The first 3 chapters have all the 'meat', the remaining are filled with songs and activities that can become your rituals. I may use one or two, but that's all. The first 3 chapters is all i really needed, though.
Linda
Sep 09, 2011 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Linda by: Kim Avery
What a treasure for any person who's with young children. This is the answer to many of my own parenting questions about how to keep my children focused on what really matters...and how to keep ME focused on our relationships too. I liked and respected the logic behind using these rituals and have begun some myself in our everyday lives.
Amber
Love this book already. It has inspired us to spend more quality one-on-one time with Kaya being playful, silly, and imaginative. I can already feel my relationship with Kaya strengthening (and I thought we already had a strong relationship). I recommend it to anyone with young kids. I first checked it out from the library and then bought it.
Susan
This was not anything earth-shattering. But it framed all those little games we play with our kids in a new light - as a much-needed way of deliberately seeking and making a heart-to-heart connection with our kids. And it also helped me realize that some of the things my daughters already do are their attempts at making connection too.
Shiloh
Oct 08, 2008 Shiloh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new moms and dads
Recommended to Shiloh by: Jocelyn Smith
This was a great book. I marked a bunch of pages at the front. Some of the exercises themselves are a bit funny, and it is definately geared toward very little children. I would have appreciated some exercises for older children, but regardless the basic principles are the same.
qurat
An awesome book for any parent or teacher to read. There are simple, easy, and meaningful suggestions about how to enrich the human experience and to deepen the love, care, and sincere interaction between mother and child or student and teacher.

I highly reccomend this manual!
Michelle
Great ideas for simply taking a moment during your busy, busy day to truly connect with the little people in your life. We have some great "love you" rituals in place already in our little family, but will definitely make room for some of these new ones.
Natalie Nash
I appreciate the concepts behind the book, but I'm lousy at memorization, so I don't know that I will implement a lot of the poems and games suggested in it.
Konnie
This is a really good book. Some of the ideas are common sense, but my common sense wouldn't have thought of them without seeing them on the page first. ;)
Linda Madden
Excellent resource for parents, grandparents and educators! Stresses the importance of incorporating rituals for children and gives many ideas for starters!
Shana
Great concept, but as with most activity books I find a lot of fluff and the ideas worth using I could have found on the internet.
M
It was so worth it for me to revisit this book. Solid reasons why our connections to our children make all the difference in the world.
Cheryl
Just got this from the library--it's awesome! I may have to get this one for myself at the bookstore!
Holly Rayl
Wonderful idea, but why do we need a whole book of her ideas? Make your own rituals from your heart.
Erika Batey
Oct 12, 2007 Erika Batey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms and Dads
Great ideas - fun and caring tips. Help the busy Mom/Dad to : stop, breath, relax, and just play.
Jessica
Feb 21, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Katie
This book is a great way to connect with your kids. Fun songs and fingergames that kids love!
Leah Murray
I enjoyed this - I enjoy reflecting on my parenting skills and this book helped with that.
The first third of this book is well worth it - really appreciate the approach.
Juliet
Another book that you have to keep referring back to - i am due to re-read it soon!
  • The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control: A Love-Based Approach to Helping Attachment-Challenged Children With Severe Behaviors, Volume 1
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Born for Love: Why Empathy Is Essential--and Endangered
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Our Children from Birth to Seven
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers:  Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Child's Sleep
  • Building the Bonds of Attachment: Awakening Love in Deeply Troubled Children
  • The Toddler's Busy Book: Toddler's Busy Book
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • Parenting From the Inside Out
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Maya Was Grumpy
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
Becky A. Bailey, Ph.D., specializes in early childhood education and developmental psychology. Her lectures reach more than 20,000 people annually, and her awards include a Parents' Choice Foundation commendation for three of her parenting audiotapes. She has appeared on CNN, PBS, and The Hour of Power with Dr. Robert Schuller, among other programs. She lives in Oviedo, Florida.
More about Becky A. Bailey...
Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation Conscious Discipline: 7 Basic Skills for Brain Smart Classroom Management There's Gotta Be a Better Way Shubert's BIG Voice Managing Emotional Mayhem