Blank-133x176
No Cooperation from th...

Marian Babson

No Cooperation from the Cat: A Mystery (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #7)

2.91 of 5 stars 2.91  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  36 reviews
"Marian Babson brings back theater actresses Trixie and Evangeline in" No Cooperation from the Cat," her latest cat-suffused cozy "

Trixie's daughter Martha has taken up residence in the kitchen she shares with her friend Evangeline. Martha is frantically testing last-minute recipes to meet the deadline for her cookbook, helped by Jocasta, her overworked editor. When a stra...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 381 pages
Published June 22nd 2012 by Thorndike Press (first published March 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about No Cooperation from the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Cooperation from the Cat

MB
I found myself irritated the whole way through this book because the plot rested on that fact that badly behaved people were allowed to behave badly with no attempt to control their behaviour or limit their access by the supposed heroes. (Just say "No"!) In fact, the only person who ineffectually tried to stand up against them was never successful or supported by the ones who should have been supportive. In fact, that person was held up as a figure of fun.

Now, the plot totally depended on this h...more
Terri
I usually love the Trixie and Evangeline series. But this one started off disjointed and never reaaly came together cohesively for me. Still enjoyed those two though - they are always fun. Frankly, I spent most of the book wanting to shake them and say why not just refuse to let the annoying people in?
Lynne
Awful. The mystery doesn't start until you are 3/4 of the way through. The murderer is revealed in the last 5 pages or so. I didn't like any of the characters. They are all self-centered, angry, mean people. I liked the cat. I won't read another by this author. I was really disappointed.
Olgalijo
Cozy murder mysteries with cute cats are always a don't-think-too-much kind of fun. But this time the don't-think-too-much part was, well, too much. Cute characters, not enough plot.
Diane Heath
This book picks up after The Cat Who Wasn't A Dog. Nigel is trying to sell the 16 ostriches that Evangeline is left with at the end of that book. Martha and Jocasta are still working on the cookbook for the Lemming Ladies. Suddenly Banquo and three witches (Graces) show up. It seems that Banquo was out of the country and has returned to learn that his wife died in his absence. Her cousins (the 3 witches) believe that Jocasta should be the one to tell him about it. Teddy has returned to "visit/st...more
Sallee
I have read several of her other mysteries and I admit it has been awhile. The book was a fast read and I did find it enjoyable. However if you are not familiar with the other books, you might find yourself a bit confused not knowing the background stories of her characters. The first part of the book seemed manic with so many people having histrionics and coming and going but settled down into a comfortable read.
Ann
Actresses Evangeline Sinclair and Trixie Dolan have a London apartment. Trixi's daughter, Martha, with the help her friend Jocasta need to finish the work on Martha's cookbook to get it to the publisher on time. Banquo Fitzfothergill, an Arctic explorer, arrives at the house shouting for his wife Melisande. Melisande died while giving a cooking demonstration but no one has told him. Jocasta was there when she died and is afraid to tell Banquo, whom she idolizes.

The house soon fills with Banquo's...more
Susan
For various reasons, Trixie's daughter Martha has decided to test recipes for her new cookbook in the sublet penthouse Trixie shares with her long-time friend and rival Evangeline. Martha brings her editor, Jocasta, who is also supposed to be working on a saga of arctic exploration by the widowed Banquo, and soon Banquo and his posse--two of his support team and his three obnoxious cousins the Graces--also decide that the penthouse is an ideal place to work. Also at their door, too often for Tri...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I looked forward to reading the latest Trixie Dolan and Evangeline Sinclair mystery, but found a chaotic whirlwind of activity, and there is a hint of a possible murder that occurred previous to the book's beginning. The chaos caught me up in a 'what could possibly happen next?' mode but not with a sense of a murder mystery. Perhaps, the Author intended this book to be that way.

Ms. Babson is a very capable author and I love her writing, but, this book just wasn't what I expected. There was anoth...more
Julia Alberino
A "cosy." The rather gruesome murders are counterbalanced by the whimsical scenes with the cat and by the amusing interactions among the non-criminal characters.
D. Rae
Delightful. A fun read. A wonderful "escape" book. Forget the "bad behavior" of some of the characters and just sit back and chuckle a time or two.
Jean
Agree with other opinions. Too many egos that come an go, come and go. The murder is really incidental. Not very good.
Sharla
Another great installment in the series featuring Trixie and Evangeline, a pair of aging British film stars. They find their penthouse apartment has been invaded by a group of unwelcome interlopers thanks to Trixie's daughter Martha and her latest venture, a cookbook. The problem is that Martha's predecessor died under suspicious circumstances. To solve this puzzle they will need the help of Trixie's precious cat, Cho-Cho-San. These two flamboyant characters and their cohorts keep things lively....more
Crystal
I didn't give this book a chance past page 47. Nothing had happened and I doubted whether anything would. The cover, with the most adorable kitten in a chef's hat, held high promise, but did not deliver. Set in London, it never left the apartment for 47 pages, where various people came and went, came and went. There was hint of a murder, maybe, when a cook book author had died eating something she made, but was this going to be the mystery? I guess I'm used to Agatha Raisin, who usually stumbles...more
DJ
This was one of the most irritating books I've ever read. Just reading about how people barged in their house and their seemingly inability to make them leave annoyed me to no end. The mousy characters were too mousy and the tough ones too tough. The main character spent most of the time wishing that some characters would speak up for themselves while others would just shut up and I found myself wishing the same thing long before the second chapter.
Erin
I couldn't make it past the first chapter. Again, this is a book with a cute cover, but it was obviously part of a series that requires you to have read the other books first. Most cozies give you a little background about the characters in the first chapter in case you are just picking up the series. What I did read just didn't interest me. I see this as being geared towards the elderly reader.
Ruth
Silly read for a rainy weekend. The book is the seventh in a series and this was the first book I'd read in the series. I felt adrift among the characters because I didn't know the back story for the Trixie and Evangeline. There was a bit too much doting on the cat and a few too many temper tantrums by the bit players for a good read.
Heidi
Oh my stars what an awful book! I honestly can't figure out why I even read past the first chapter, but I did finish the whole awful mess. The cat isn't even appealing and really has no purpose in the story. I'll never bother reading this author again. Thank goodness it was free from the library!
Gabby
I started this book and couldn't get into it. It was confusing from the get go. I want to be drawn in to a book in the first few pages, if not I don't have the time to hope it gets better. I chose the book initially for the cover, and it's a mystery.
Ilana Weiss
I thought that this book was alright, but a little too mellow and slow moving for me. I didn't get all that into it until about 100 pages in and even then, it was still slow moving. Not the best book I've read but not the worst either.
Vera
This was a fun read, but it bothered me that the characters seemed to let others take over their apartment. This went to far for me because I kept wondering why they didn;t send everyone home. I like the characters, and the cat of course.
Phillis
Cute book. Interesting bunch of characters too. I've read the previous books of Babson and all were good, this one was funny. All take place in London, so the British humor was there. Loved the cat; Cho Cho San.
Janis
I had a lot of trouble getting into this book. Not my usual fare. I don't know if it was the book itself or my frame of mind, but I could not finish it. Yawn...
Susana
Not the type of book I usually go for... quirky and light hearted, with a double homicide thrown in? I admit I enjoyed it as diversional light reading.
Mary Ann
since I started this series here on book seven, it was difficult to force affection for the characters. could not finish.
Sandy  Kemp
Didn't get any good until about page 160. Slow, slow, slow. Plot was ridiculous. All these ladies need to grow a spine.
Jakenv
Was bit of disappointment based on title. Not up to her usual fast paced action yet an entertaining read.
Priscilla
I really like this series. It always entertains. The characters are funny and likeable.
Topi
I found it very dry & easy to put down. But I did like the plot twists at the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Marian Babson, a pseudonym for Ruth Stenstreem, was born in Salem, Massachusetts, but has lived in London for the greater part of her life.

She has worked as a librarian; managed a campaign headquarters; been a receptionist, secretary, and den mother to a firm of commercial artists; and was co-editor of a machine knitting magazine, despite the fact that she can’t knit, even with two needles.

A lon...more
More about Marian Babson...
Canapes for the Kitties Only the Cat Knows The Twelve Deaths Of Christmas The Cat Who Wasn't a Dog (Trixie Dolan & Evangeline Sinclair Mystery #6) Please Do Feed the Cat