Start by marking “The Overlook (Harry Bosch, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Overlook (Harry Bosch, #13)

The Overlook (Harry Bosch #13)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  19,860 Ratings  ·  1,049 Reviews
The pulse-quickening new thriller from master of suspense Michael Connelly sees Harry Bosch plunged into the dangerous world of international terrorism. When a physicist is murdered in LA it seems the killer has no fear of publicity, leaving the body on The Mulholland overlook, a site with a stunning view over the city. And when it's discovered that the victim turned over ...more
Published (first published May 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Overlook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Overlook

Lyn
Jan 25, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Connelly has made a name for himself by creating the characters Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller.

In The Overlook, Connelly’s 2007 entry into the Harry Bosch files, the mystery writer takes on a case where Bosch must work with the FBI in a suspected terrorist case.

This is the 13th Harry Bosch novel (Connelly began the series with The Black Echo in 1992) and the LAPD detective again demonstrates his Holmes-esque attention to detail and also his inability to follow bureaucratic rules. Connelly
Mark
Jan 24, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the better detective story
Michael Connelly does his token terrorism story. And it would not be true to him to make it a political mess and power struggle among the various organisations that want to show the world and their constituency how great they are at the wheel of a real threat. Among them Harry Bosch with a new partner that just wants to solve a the murder that starts of the whole story. And Harry gets mighty annoyed when the murder is considered less important than the threat of some terrorism.

As always Connelly
Brent
Jun 04, 2007 Brent rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Connelly Fans
Shelves: crimefiction
The Overlook is Connelly's latest Harry Bosch detective novel. The book was written as a 16 part serial novel for the New York Times Magazine and it shows. I'm a big Bosch fan and I always enjoy reading about him but I am a little disappointed in this book. As one might expect with a serial novel, many chapters are disjointed and Connelly does not focus on character development. Rachel Walling is again back in Bosch's life and while Connelly mentions the relationship, he doesn't do much to devel ...more
Dagny
Fabulous read! The details and possible ramifications of the case were fascinating. For the first third or so of the book, it wasn't a frantic read for me and I was able to sit back and enjoy Connelly's highly readable style and expert plotting. Then it became frantic.
Noran Miss Pumkin
While bumming around Chicago-saw a church book sale. SWEET!!!!!! Huge bag of goodies for $20-actually 16, but it is a church-so donated the change. I even bought a vintage Russian novel-though I cannot read it-i so adore the dust cover art, and the color plates of the story.
Linda J
Jan 16, 2010 Linda J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rabid Connelly fans only - newbies stay away.
Shelves: michael-connelly
I couldn't understand why this book lacked the depth of previous Harry Bosch novels until I learned it had been serialized in a magazine and then published as a book. The book read like someone held a gun to Connelly's head and demanded triple-time story development and resolution.

I don't know why Connelly even gave Bosch a LAPD partner but I guess LAPD protocol required it. Iggy, the partner in this book, was a new one and essentially ignored - Bosch generally had him running errands, offscreen
Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 08, 2015 Jenifer Mohammed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-boiled
Connelly is a master of misdirection in this thrilling mystery where nothing can be taken at face value. Bosch is called out to a murder scene and the FBI quickly becomes involved when terrorists are suspected of stealing cesium to mount an attack. There are a lot of lies and backstabbing between Bosch and the FBI but Bosch ultimately solves the murder. Extremely well-written!
Pat
Mar 07, 2009 Pat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
I can't believe Connelly wrote this book. Bosch asks "what is a person of interest." That's just one of a dozen annoying instances where Bosch is clueless as to what's going on. Then his antagonism with the FBI is childish. He, of course, turns out to be right and the FBI wrong. This is just not up to Connelly's usual great writing. I really do suspect it was ghosted.
Josh
Jul 07, 2013 Josh rated it liked it
Shelves: own, crime, read_2013
While being the 13th book to feature Harry Bosch, THE OVERLOOK is a great way to introduce new readers to the series long running character. THE OVERLOOK resumes Harry’s career in law enforcement tracking down murderers whilst working homicide. He’s got a new partner and a new case which looks very LA Noire on the surface, yet looks can be deceiving.

An execution style murder on the Mulholland overlook becomes much more when a link with a radioactive chemical is established and a plot involving t
Checkman
Aug 24, 2011 Checkman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Bosch fans
Three and a half stars.

I like the Harry Bosch books. I don't read them all the time. It's been my experience that if I read novels featuring the same character back to back I become bored. It's like watching a long running series on television. It gets comfortable, but predictable.

About once a year I'll read one or two of the Bosch novels. As I wrote in my review of The Black Echo I was around when the series began in 92 and I like it.

So last Saturday a local library was having it's annual boo
David
Oct 16, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A shorter than normal Harry Bosch police procedural that took place completely within 12 hours. I loved the trimmed down story, and without distraction it provided the perfect vehicle to highlight Bosch's superior deductive skills. Harry was always one step ahead of the game in this one, and at his 'get-it-done-any-which-way-you-can' brilliant best. Highly recommended.
Maddy
Mar 12, 2014 Maddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
PROTAGONIST: Harry Bosch
SETTING: Los Angeles
SERIES: #13 of 18
RATING: 4.25
WHY: Harry Bosch has moved on to yet another assignment, this time to the Homicide Special Squad, and a new partner, Ignatio "Iggy"" Ferras. Ferras is also relatively inexperienced and quite uncomfortable with Harry's way of doing things. The case they are handling is the murder of Dr. Stanley Kent, found shot on an overlook near Mulholland Drive. It is of great interest to the FBI, since Kent had access to large amounts of
Adrian
Aug 10, 2012 Adrian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always hopeful that there's a mainstream, bestselling author out there who you can really get your teeth into, and from reading this Michael Connelly is a pretty good option. If you're interested in police procedural - or like me US cop shows - then you'll know this terrain. I wanted to investigate Connelly after seeing the film of his 'Lincoln Lawyer', but there's far more to the movie than there is to his writing, which shows it goes both ways in terms of movies and books. The style is alm ...more
Catherine
I've said it before, you can't go wrong with Michael Connelly, especially when Garry Bosch is involved.
Rex Fuller
Jan 10, 2013 Rex Fuller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book. Very hard-driving, relentless pace. The best of the 16 Bosch books I've read.
Mike Patrick
Didn't I already see this as an episode of "24"?
Jane Stewart
Sep 26, 2011 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
It’s short but still worth reading. I wouldn’t want to miss it. And it has the unexpected which is hard to do.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
This isn’t the best in the series, but I’m starting to think I may have been too harsh with some of my 3 stars for previous books in the series. I was tempted to give this 3 stars, but I upped it to 4 because it kept my interest, and because it’s part of a great series. I love Bosch’s instincts and actions. Again he makes other cops and the FBI look not-so-good.

One n
Harv Griffin
Mar 06, 2013 Harv Griffin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, own
If it's a Harry Bosch novel I want to read it. Actually, I've probably already read it.

pic of my copy of Overlook

3.5 Stars?

For a new writer I'd give this a 4-star, or if I really liked the new writer, maybe even a 5. The writing and plotting is very clean. But for Connelly? I'm sorry, IMHO he was slacking-off in this one. I only read OVERLOOK once, and I'm not going back for a re-read. (view spoiler)

Plot-wise & Action-wise this pup
Donna
Sep 21, 2014 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This was such a short book and I think the book suffered a little because of it. It hurried along like white water rapids, fast and furious. I wish he had spent a little more time in the character development department. It seems like the "Oh no. I'm being framed" plot element is being overworked in a lot of his books. I think it is time to retire that little element in favor of something different.

In spite of the rapid pace of this book, it was typical Connelly. He weaves a great story like no
Mike
This was shaping up as a 2 Star rating but nabbed an extra star at the end. Great plot with radioactive materiel stolen, all the alphabet soup of national security agencies horning in on the action and confusion reigns. Harry Bosch and his new partner are in at the beginning, investigating the homicide that starts this one off. Rachel Walling from the FBI shows up again but she really isn't Bosch's buddy in this one. You can read this is a couple of hours (turns out it was a serial magazine stor ...more
K
Jan 14, 2016 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This felt more like a made for TV movie than a feature length movie. Although I still enjoyed Connelly's skillful writing, this novel felt rather linear and not quite up to his usual stellar plot design for Harry Bosch stories.
That said, it still garners four stars, but I like other Bosch novels a bit better-- with greater complexity to their plots and relationships between characters that are more three dimensional than those found herein.
Eric
Jan 17, 2012 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Bosch books
Although I really enjoyed the plot and the quick pace of this Harry Bosch detective paint-by-numbers, I missed the character development of the full-length novels (this was originally serialized in the New York Times Sunday Magazine). The interaction between Bosch and Walling was not nearly as compelling as in the two previous cases they shared, and his new partner was a one-dimensional shadow of Bosch's previous partners.
Catherine
Jan 11, 2016 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I like Connelly the more Bosch I read, the more predictable it gets.
Domino Finn
Aug 31, 2014 Domino Finn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great Harry Bosch novel, in many ways because it is different. It is a short read and very fast-paced, almost like an episode of 24. The Overlook takes place over the course of 12 straight hours and deals with terrorism and murder. There are some new characters this time around too, and I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of them. Good stuff.
Mark Soone
Mar 11, 2014 Mark Soone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would probably call this a 3.5 read, but that option is not available on goodreads.

This is by far my favorite ongoing crime/thriller series, and would highly recommend this to any who have not tried it. I am not sure that some of the series particularly this book would work well as standalone reads, so start at the beginning and it should give you a solid 3-6 month addition to your current reading.

Bosch is back in action with a new assignment and partner (I really miss Kiz), and of course back
Toni Osborne
A doctor with access to a dangerous radioactive substance is found murdered on the overlook above the Mulholland Dam. LAPD detective Harry Bosch is sent on what appears to be a routine investigation. On site, things escalate when it is discovered that vials of cerium are missing and now are in unknown hands. When the murder is suspected to be part of a terrorist plot to poison a major American city, Special FBI Agent Walling declares the matter to be of National Security. Bosch thinks otherwise ...more
Marleen
Sep 02, 2013 Marleen rated it liked it
Shelves: michael-connelly
Michael Connelly must’ve been in a hurry to finish this book, or he was experimenting, because this was the most rushed and sudden ending to a Harry Bosch book I’ve come across so far.
On his first day in the Homicide Special division, still part of the prestigious RHD, Harry gets a call out to what appears at first like an execution. A man is found on the Mulholland overlook, shot twice in the back of the head. Quickly the FBI is on the scene, because the murder of this man, a physicist, is lin
David
Aug 18, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I figured this one out without a lot of difficulty. That being said, I read on to the end and enjoyed the book nonetheless.

When I first encountered the plot element of missing radioactive material, I got a sinking feeling. Another author I really enjoy, Steve Martini, used to write great courtroom fiction. Then, he got the idea to turn his lawyer main character into James Bond. It doesn't work. Read the reviews of Martini's trilogy. Hopefully, he will get the message from his fans to go bac
Tony
Sep 28, 2011 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Connelly- The Overlook (Vision Books 2008) 3.75 Stars

Dr. Stanley Kent has just been discovered on the overlook with two bullets in the back of his head. Now Harry Bosch must try to find the killer, but he isn’t the only one interested in this case. Agent Walling of the FBI has been handed the case as it has taken a terrorist angle. Bumping heads as Bosch fights to keep his case; they must try to solve this case before things escalate out of their control.

The introduction to this book was
Kellie
I always look forward to reading a Harry Bosch novel. This story takes place a few months after Echo Park. Bosch is in a new department, “LAPD Homicide Special Unit” and he has a new partner, Iggy Ferras. Harry is at home awake late at night when the call comes in about the murder. It was almost like he was sitting home waiting for it. A doctor is shot execution style at a Hollywood overlook. This will be his first case with the new division and he tackles it like he always has. Focus on the mur ...more
  • Demolition Angel
  • Hidden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #15)
  • The White Road (Charlie Parker, #4)
  • In the Electric Mist With Confederate Dead (Dave Robicheaux, #6)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10)

“them. He drank” 0 likes
“In the hallway Bosch switched on the air conditioning in the interview room and set it at sixty-four. It would soon cool off in the room and instead of sweating, Mitford would start to get cold, though - coming from Canada - maybe not. After he chilled for a while Bosch would take another run at him and see if anything new came out. He checked his watch. It was almost five a.m. and the case meeting the feds were organizing was not for another four hours. There was a lot to do but he still had some time to work with Mitford. The first round had been productive. There was no reason for him to think there was nothing more to be gained by a second go at it.” 0 likes