Start by marking “The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club” as Want to Read:
The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club

The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,156 ratings  ·  250 reviews
Join the club of unlikely quilters who show up for Amish widow Emma Yoder's quilting classes. A troubled young woman, a struggling couple, a widower, a rough and tough biker, and a preacher's wife make up the mismatched lot. But as their problems begin to bind them together like the scraps of fabric stitched together in a quilt, they learn to open up and lend a helping han ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 461 pages
Published April 6th 2012 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club

Loretta
I avoid Amish fiction, and yet I let myself get sucked into checking this one out because the cover intrigued me. An Amish fiction book that does not feature a young, pretty Amish girl gazing plaintively across rolling fields? Do tell.

Well, Half-stitched is certainly an appropriate description for the book and it reminded me of one of the biggest reasons I avoid Amish fiction...the writers often coast on the popularity of the genre rather than actually doing the crazy task of writing a good book
A Well Read Woman (April)
Six loose threads and an Amish widow come together when a woman loses her husband and decides to teach a quilting class to make a little extra money as to not feel like a burden to her family. The group of people couldn't possibly be anymore opposite... but does God have a greater purpose for this group other than to learn how to quilt?

There is Star, birth name Beatrice, she hides behind a black hoodie and dreams of one day being a star. Star's life at home is rough, and she is mistrustful of me
Melissa
The only reason I finished this book is because we will be discussing it for book club and I wanted to give it a full chance to redeem itself.
There was zero character depth. They all bled together into the author's voice rather than having their own language and personality. (Honestly, what dark and very angry teenage girl calls her father a "mangy cur" and is extremely polite to others?) It was unbelievably ridiculous.
And the extent of the Amish perspective of the book was limited to things lik
Leslie
I wanted to like this book - I really did. I love the premise, and thought that it would be like my beloved Yada Yada Prayer Group series. Alas, it wasn't. The writing was stilted, and the author seemed out of touch with how young people speak. I finally set it aside without finishing it after reading about Pam bemoaning her "spoiled blouse". No thirty-something housewife I know talks like that. I couldn't suspend disbelief any longer & couldn't justify the time spent reading it.

I will confe
Melissa
I checked this out because it looked like it might be a good book with a humorous twist. It wasn't really very humorous but it was an ok book.

There are several characters and you get to read parts of each chapter from each of the characters veiwpoint. Even with knowing there viewpoints, none of the characters really struck home with me, they just all came off as complainers.

Emma is the Amish widow who starts a weekly quilting class to raise money so she won't be a burdon on her family. She is a
Calisto
The first "Christian Fiction" book I read was by mistake. Once I realized what I had, my expectations (unfairly) lowered. Now, even though that book didn't work for me in terms of editing (unnecessarily choppy), I was blown away by the intensity and overall storytelling. Which led me to request another Barbour book. This time, I knew exactly what I was getting into and my expectations were very high.

The cover won me over. I'm not a fan of Amish books or quilting, but I love the idea of misfits t
Florence Millo
I just couldn't finish this book. The characters were stereotypes and the plot was contrived and unbelievable.
LORI CASWELL
After the death of her husband Amish widow, Emma Yoder has become quite dependent on her family to help make ends meet financially. To ease some of that burden she decides to start teaching a quilting class. She posts notices and puts an ad in the local newspaper. She is very surprised as the students show up for their first class.

A young widower with his infant daughter is hoping to find someone to finish a quilt his wife started for their daughter before she died.

A couple in marriage counselin
Jodie
Emma comes up with a plan to host a six week quilting class in order to help supplement her income. When her students show up to the first class, she begins to wonder what she got herself in to. A unhappily married couple, an out of jail biker, a widowed father, a pastor's wife, and a very troubled young lady make for a very unusual quilting class.

I just love reading Wanda E. Brunstetter books. Whenever I begin one of her books, I just know it's going to be a sweet, easy read. And this one certa
Julie Barrett
The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club by Wanda E. Brunstetter
Emma hopes to share her love of quilting as she teaches strangers how to quilt.
Since her husband had passed away over a year ago, her daughter and all the
children had sent money back home to help with the finances. Emma hoped to supplement
the income by selling her quilting items. She placed an ad around town and got
one that wanted to learn. She outlined what she'd need to teach them.
The way the author introduces the people who will be
Kathy
Honestly, I wouldn't have rated this one all that highly; the writing could have been a little better, etc., but the characters and their stories have stuck in my mind more completely than some better written works have done. When Emma Yoder decided to earn a little extra money by giving a quilting class, she never expected the motly crew that signed up for it. From the couple on the verge of divorce, to the rebellious teenager, to the tattooed biker, to the black preacher's wife, to the single ...more
Skari
Well, this was a Godawful book. I was looking for an easy, cozy read, but not one whose plots made me want to throw the book into the nearest bonfire. The big reveal three-fourths into the book? Come on now, that's just lazy. Now, don't get me wrong, I like the occasional Hallmark movie that I know the plot of before I even turn the movie on, but the characters here were just insultingly stupid and Star and Jan, the most 'hardened' of the characters, rang so false it made my teeth hurt. There we ...more
Melinda
It was so nice to finally read a book that doesn't talk about sex and every other word is cussing. I really enjoyed reading this book. The cover is what caught my eye. The story of an Amish woman Emma decides to make some extra money so she doesn't feel like a burden on her family since her husband Ivan passed away. She decides to give quilting classes. By doing so she comes across a diverse group of characters who are taking the class for various reasons. Star a young girl who was given classes ...more
Christy
I read this book after my Mom continuously told me how much she enjoyed. We're both avid book readers, so.... I decided I'd give in and try this book. I'm glad I did. It's a short, quick, very uplifting read. Widow Emma Yoder decides to teach a six-week quilting class. Tell me..... what do these six people have in common (an Amish widow, a troubled young woman, a tough biker, a ministers wife, and a troubled married couple have in common?) Issues. I know, I know, we all have issues and problems. ...more
Trudy E
I am not a huge fan of alot of dialogue in the books I read, and this had more than I'd have liked to see. I found it interesting that the story took place in an area I became familiar with as my daughter attended college in Mishawaka. I wondered about some things that I found may not have been likely for Emma's character to know.... like how much light might be needed to take the "class photo". This is my first book for this author.
Victoria Brown
I actually read the second book in this series first...so was looking forward to going back to the first. Now I enjoyed these books as what I call, my light reading. Just fun quick books I can read and enjoy between my serious books. I agree with many of the reviews about the characters being slightly under developed and simple...the marriage troubles the one couple face seem tiny and un realistic as does the meeting of two related characters....but like I said its an enjoyable book to read. A c ...more
Pamela Thompson
I thought this book and series by Wanda E. Brunstetter was much better than her other books.
The primary reason for me was less "god/religion in your face".

Brunstetter has written Amish fiction books before, but sometimes they just made me roll my eyes with too much scripture. This offering tied the faith into the story in a much more humanistic manner. For me, this created a stronger meaning and less blatant (and offensive, repetitive) "witness". I admire those with a strong Christian based fai
Linda Dudgeon
Although a bit "sugary", this book still dealt with real problems. The characters were interesting to follow. The book was a nice break from heavier reading.
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Join the club of unlikely quilters who show up for Amish widow Emma Yoder’s quilting classes. A troubled young woman, a struggling couple, a widower, a rough and tough biker, and a preacher’s wife make up the mismatched lot. But as their problems begin to bind them together like the scraps of fabric stitched together in a quilt, they learn to open up and lend a helping hand. Is this what God had in mind to heal hurting hearts and create beauty from fragments?”

Series: Book #1 in
Elaine
OK. Predictable. Unbelievable. My eyes hurt from rolling back in my head. Maybe I live too close to Shipshewana where real people live. Sorry.
Kathy
OK. I had trouble with the quilting class and all the needy people. Seemed unrealtistic. A little to sappy for me.
Mary Lou
Somewhat dreadful, but I couldn't stop reading it. Morbid curiosity. This book is trying too hard to be relevant.
Diane
Okay, but predictable simplistic plot, characters somewhat trite.
Kelley
This was extremely predictable. Not one of the author's best efforts.
Carol
Amish fiction is a like a tonic to me and The Half Stitched Amish Quilting Club by Wanda E. Brunstetter is no different for me. Now I definitely want to read the rest of her books. This book flew, it was easy to read but full of serious situations to deal with.

This book is a little different from most Amish fiction because the majority of the characters are Englishers. We got to see how their lives meshed with the Amish quilt maker and how each grew emotionally, spiritually, and in acceptance.

T
Wendi
The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club
By Wanda E. Brunstetter
Published by Barbour

When widow Emma Yoder sets out to reclaim some of her independence, quilting lessons seem like the perfect endeavor. Emma can teach the classes in her home on Saturday mornings, allowing her to keep up with her normal chores and family life. What undertaking could be safer?

Thus begins The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club. An unexpectedly diverse group of individuals arrive that first Saturday morning, including a
Charity U
One of the first things that attracted me to this book was the cover. Isn’t it interesting? And here’s the awesome thing – every person on the cover looks exactly like their character in the book! Now that’s great. ;) This was one of those stories where I have absolutely no idea what to put as the genre, so “life” gets used. It’s a story concerning the lives of these people! You see, Emma (an older Amish woman) decides to host a quilting class. But when it begins, a great variety of people arriv ...more
Kate
Emma Yoder (widow) placed an ad in the local newspaper seeking students for a 6 wk quilting course that she would be teaching as a way to supplement her income. When they arrive at her home and at first glance she wonders if this is a mistake.

Ruby Lee looking to add some "fun" into her life
Paul Ramirez was looking for a way to finish his daughters heirloom quilt
Star Stephens misses her Grandmother and is searching for somewhere to fit in
Stuart & Pam Johnston in an effort to spend more time
Carol
This book is poorly written, poorly researched, and poorly represents the Amish of northern Indiana.

My parents were raised Amish, growing up in the northern Indiana area(setting of the story). Many, many of my extended family members are still Amish. I was born in Goshen, Indiana (while my parents were still Amish) and I have lived here all my life. I am a quilter and have considered myself one since I was 10, and regularly teach quilting classes in the area. I also design quilts, and sell patte
  • A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery #5)
  • An Amish Family Reunion
  • The Wonder of Your Love (Land of Canaan #2)
  • A Promise for Miriam (The Pebble Creek Amish, #1)
  • Missing Your Smile (Fields Of Home, #1)
  • The Heart's Frontier (The Amish of Apple Grove #1)
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • An Uncommon Grace: A Novel
  • The Scent of Cherry Blossoms
  • The Survivor (Families of Honor #3)
  • Her Restless Heart (Stitches In Time Series #1)
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • Wild Horses (Sadie's Montana #1)
  • Promised To Another (Amish of Seymour County, #3)
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • The Amish Nanny (The Women of Lancaster County, #2)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...
The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3) The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1) The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2) A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins, #1) A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)