The Dutiful Rake

The Dutiful Rake

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  16 reviews
THE RAKE'S REDEMPTION ...

The Earl of Rutherford was used to flirting with scandal. But when an act of charity placed his charge's spotless reputation in jeopardy, Marcus knew he must do the honorable thing. There was no point in pretending he was in love. So in return for Miss Marguerite Fellowes's discretion and children, the earl offered his name and protection.

Then Marc...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Dutiful Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dutiful Rake

Once and Always by Judith McNaughtUntil You by Judith McNaughtLord of Ice by Gaelen FoleyMinx by Julia QuinnForbidden Love by Karen Robards
Historical Guardian/Ward Romance Novels
44th out of 53 books — 60 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareThe Summoning by Kelley ArmstrongWicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Dude, Where's My Forehead?
384th out of 827 books — 621 voters

More lists with this book...

Ridley
In many ways a standard "Earl of Slut reformed by virtuous country mouse," I nevertheless enjoyed how Rolls played with the concept of public and private in this book.

Meg and Marc are different people than Lord and Lady Rutherford, and in writing out both their public and private characters I felt I got an especially deep view of who these people were. Their dual natures explained their many misunderstandings and kept them from growing tedious, though I certainly still enjoyed Marc's apologies...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
Jhenn
3.5 STARS

The Dutiful Rake wasn't nearly as predictable as I thought it would be and I loved the heroine, though many of the misunderstandings would have been cleared by simply talking to her husband. The secondary characters, particularly Lady Di, her husband and Jack, add dimension to the story. They embrace Meg, the heroine, in spite of the 10 year old scandal surrounding her family. It was a nice break from a few of the other historical romances I've read with a similar story line in which th...more
Flavia Sugnu
This is the second book I've read by Elizabeth and I'm neither disappointed or ecstatic. IMO, this book and another of her own, His Lady Mistress, do have some similarities, I do think that Meg from this book was a stronger character than Verity from the other ( they both have a similar upbringing though Meg's did seem a little less harsh), however the use of misunderstandings was used heavily in both books as was the male leads' fondness for second guessing his wife.
I do like these novels, in...more
Jasey
Cherie Jensen
I really enjoyed this book. Marcus is a strong, handsome rake who fears love because he fears losing it. His mother and father had a loving relationship and wanted more children and she died in childbirth. Crazy I know, but he fears losing love so much he avoids it altogether and denies his desire to be loved also.

Meg is so innocent and sincere one might think she'd be boring but she is quite the opposite. Instead she is refreshing. Because of her ignorance and his fear they spend quite a few pa...more
Elaine
More of a 3.5*. Liked the book for the most part, but felt like there was too much drama. Will have to read more by this author, as this was the first I read. Need to see how I feel about the next one I read.
Nicely written, traditional Regency (with a little married passion to spice it up). Likable characters, plausible motivations and a nasty villain or two just to keep things moving.
Caitlyn
Standard Regency fare. An earlier work from Elizabeth Rolls. I enjoyed it. There was a lot of head-hopping which normally would have been the death knell of a book for me, but I did continue to read. Heroine is strong and self-reliant, yet needy. Hero is duty-bond to keep her from scandal and then finds himself in love. Miscommunication keeps them apart, but their hearts stay true.
Alisa
I liked this book better than some others I've read. I knew the ending was coming but the way she wrote it it wasn't predictable. Nice epilogue. Didn't feel like the story just ended. Two very stubborn characters.
Diana
Halfway through, I found myself yelling at the characters for all The Big Assumptions they're making. Would've saved a lot if trouble if they had just, oh, I don't know... talked?
Luz Adriana
Ive discovered a new author and determined to read all her books. They are very well written and the storyline are all about romance.
Robin
It was a cheap book on Kindle and I needed something to occupy my time. It wasn't a great book but it was a good romance that I did enjoy.
Allyn Richards
Overall I like it, but if I add all the part that I hate about it, then I would say that I think it was an ok book.
Diana
2.5. The middle was so annoying I almost stopped reading.
Greenprarie
Greenprarie marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Taiye Williams
Taiye Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Linda
Linda added it
Jul 31, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Jul 30, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Kathleen Ruggio
Kathleen Ruggio marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • The Shy Duchess
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • The Dissolute Duke (Wellinghams, #4)
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • The Bargain Bride
  • Married: The Virgin Widow
  • His Majesty, the Prince of Toads
  • The Accidental Countess (Once Upon An Accident, #1)
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • A Matter of Choice
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • A Most Unconventional Match (Wellingfords, #3)
  • Carnal Deceptions
  • The Blackmailed Bride
  • The Bedeviled Bride
We live in the Adelaide Hills of South Australia, in a beautiful lush valley full of apple, pear and cherry orchards. We moved here a couple of years back, escaping from the city and it’s just gorgeous. The property is small, only five acres, but we have room for two small noisy boys, three dogs, two cats and several woolly things masquerading a environmentally friendly lawnmowers. Before that we...more
More about Elizabeth Rolls...
His Lady Mistress Lord Braybrook's Penniless Bride A Compromised Lady The Unexpected Bride The Chivalrous Rake