Start by marking “Hijacked by Your Brain: How to Free Yourself When Stress Takes Over” as Want to Read:
Hijacked by Your Brain: How to Free Yourself When Stress Takes Over

Hijacked by Your Brain: How to Free Yourself When Stress Takes Over

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From an expert in traumatic stress disorders, HIJACKED BY YOUR BRAIN reveals a groundbreaking way to help our brains deal with the stress of life. Filing a gap on shelf, this book explains what's happening in the brain when the emotions take over, and it shows how a simple, practical approach to focusing the mind can provide the solution when all the coping skills in the w ...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Sourcebooks

To ask other readers questions about Hijacked by Your Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hijacked by Your Brain

Honey
When I first started reading this book I fell asleep, then about a week later I had a very high stress day. I grabbed the book perusing it hoping I could find something that would help me steady myself. I did and the book helped a lot. I have since read the parts previously missed and made some notes to reference when needed in the future. There is solid and useful information in this book.
Nancy
Excellent book for self study, though for those who have deep scars and trauma,and very difficult situations, professional counseling would help get you started in the right direction and connect with a person in a safe environment, then this book would help those able to go to the next level based on the latest brain science.It was very interesting and easy to understand the brain complexities.
Gary
This book contains VERY GOOD information about how to deal with stress, and tips on how to lead a well regulated life. The author thought the information was good too... enough so that it was stated three times. Hence the three star rating. The information is worth five stars. Then I deducted a star for the second time he repeated the information. The next star was deducted when he nuanced his repeat to give us a third go-round.

I think Dr. Ford faced two obstacles in his cycle of repetition. One
Catherine
It is possible to prepare your brain to truly manage stress. And the result is well worth the effort: discovering a sense of calm and confidence that makes life ultimately worthwhile.

Strong words for an introduction and ones that will certainly grab a lot of readers. In today’s world of chaos and unpredictability our brain’s alarm center is firing at DEFCON 1 all the time. Anyone promising help in that area will get attention, which is exactly what Dr. Julian Ford and Jon Wortmann do in Hijacke
Huma Rashid
I'll be writing a full review of this book on my blog, but here are the highlights I'll hit:

- easy to read and engaging
- an abundance of examples to illustrate the theses
- frequent repetition to help walk the reader through the suggested exercises in changing behavioral/mental responses to stress triggers
- use of acronyms to help remember the steps, though one acronym (SOS) is far more helpful than the other (FREEDOM), especially since it seems like a lot of the ideas in FREEDOM are contained in
Rose
Initial reaction: Valuable guide, but quite a bit of information to wade through to get to the better bits here. I think the authors were insightful, and provided some interesting combinations of personal experiences from everyday people, celebrities, athletes, and others who have been in many different levels of stressful situations, but at the same time, when it came down to the mental walks that they would ask the reader to take, some of them were awkward and not as applicable as they could'v ...more
Conner
As a sufferer from multiple anxiety disorders myself, when I first came across this book, I thought it was exactly what I needed. Of course I would quickly find myself to be wrong. This book presents some decent ideas, certainly at the beginning, but it reads like an oversize pamphlet you would pick up at a therapist's office. The whole book seems to be almost an advertisement for a new way of thinking that ends up translating to a drawn-out explanation for asinine acronyms with names such as "F ...more
Wendy
Excellent strategies for coping with anxiety and stress, two of my major saboteurs in living an upbeat, productive, fulfilling life. SOS :clearing the mind, orienting back to what's important, and shelf-check. Good stuff. The book gave examples of individuals using the techniques, and explained how to identify triggers and work at acknowledging them in order to overcome them. It works!
Mysteryfan
Nonfiction. Some good tips on how to handle stress. Stress can take us over all too easily. The author has tips on how to turn off the alarm. He has some helpful imagery in managing stress by focusing on one thing.
Bela Panczel
It was really good. Not excellent, but very useful. The book gives interesting ideas for managing stress. Some case studies can be found, they are useful too.
بینش بیگ
Really found great ways to free our mind and body free from stress I found this book on www.scribd.com..loved to read
Miguel Sampo
Miguel Sampo marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Michael Arrigo
Michael Arrigo marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Jordyn
Jordyn is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2014
Mark Holmes
Mark Holmes marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Cristina Elliott
Cristina Elliott marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Sarah Demott
Sarah Demott is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2014
Jessica Leoncini
Jessica Leoncini marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Kyle Nicholas
Kyle Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
KRad R
KRad R marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
  • Cheaper, Better, Faster: Over 2,000 Tips and Tricks to Save You Time and Money Every Day
  • Crystal White
  • The Princelings of the East - The Trilogy
  • Touching the Moon
  • Etched...Upon My Heart: What We Learn and Why We Never Forget
  • Frozen Footprints
  • Night Dreams (The Beginning, Episode #1)
  • Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff
Treating Complex Traumatic Stress Disorders in Children and Adolescents: Scientific Foundations and Therapeutic Models Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: Scientific and Professional Dimensions The Encyclopedia of Psychological Trauma Treatment of Complex Trauma: A Sequenced, Relationship-Based Approach Treating Complex Traumatic Stress Disorders (Adults)