Start by marking “A Royal Pain (Unruly Royals, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Royal Pain (Unruly Royals, #1)

A Royal Pain (Unruly Royals #1)

3.33  ·  Rating Details ·  1,757 Ratings  ·  297 Reviews
Bronte Talbott follows all of the exploits of the British royals. After all, they're the world's most preeminent dysfunctional family. And who is she to judge? Bronte's own search for love isn't going all that well, especially after her smooth-talking Texan boyfriend abruptly leaves her in the dust.

Bronte keeps a lookout for a rebound to help mend her broken heart, and whe
Published November 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Royal Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Royal Pain

Kate
A Royal Pain is a great example of how to take a fantastic premise and utterly fuck it up in the execution.

In this case the premise is "girl meets boy, they fall in love, boy is secretly a duke," which, YES, I will read the hell out of that book and I am not ashamed.

The fucking up, sadly, is extensive and irredeemable. It occurs in the writing (and the characterization and the plotting, but primarily the writing). Mulry is... not a natural wordsmith. For one thing, her ear for dialogue suggests
Marlene
Nov 19, 2012 Marlene rated it did not like it
This dual review was originally published at Book Lovers Inc.

Marlene: A Royal Pain was just that, an absolute pain to read. I hate to put it that way, but the pun is just right there waiting to be said. I finished because I said I would. And I was on an airplane and “what the heck”.

Stella: I’m sorry to say but I completely agree. *sighs* Which is even sadder since from the moment I read its blurb I was predisposed and predestined to love it, I mean it is my go-to fantasy the normal, ordinary gir
Anna Casanovas
Aug 07, 2015 Anna Casanovas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
(1 estrella y media si Goodreads tuviera el detalle de dejar puntuar con medias estrellas)
"Cómo ligar con un duque" es una novela que aunque está escrita en tercera persona se centra únicamente en el punto de vista de la protagonista, Bronte, y ese es, en mi opinión, su mayor problema pues Bronte no es una buena protagonista (o a mí no me lo ha parecido). La historia parte de un clásico, el "sexo a primera vista", ella ha tenido un desengaño y cuando conoce a nuestro protagonista, Max, le dice c
Olga
Jun 10, 2016 Olga rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Libro pasable, sin mas pretensiones... una protagonista histeria y con un monton de complejos y un personaje masculino que lo da todo por ella.... a veces se hace un pòco aburrido con tanto complejo e historias de ella....
Missy
Feb 23, 2013 Missy rated it it was ok
Lyndi
Feb 01, 2015 Lyndi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heroine-ruins-it, wtf
What the fuck was that?

Anyone familiar with my reviews knows that I am really harsh on female main characters. I have high and specific standards. They may disappear sometimes and I'll somehow enjoy a TSTL heroine, but usually I'm incredibly harsh. Knowing that about me, knowing that I will quickly DNF a book because the female MC is annoying, TSTL, horrible, bitchy, whatever... please understand how serious I am when I say this girl, Bronte, is one of the worst characters I've ever read.

She was
Trevor Veale
Jan 11, 2014 Trevor Veale rated it really liked it
A deliciously decadent romp in the thicket of thwarted desire, as Bronte Talbott first finds, then loses, then finds again Max Heyworth, the man with whom she is fated to be mated.
They meet seemingly by chance in a Chicago book store, when Bronte wanders thru the SF section after being bemused by a hot Saturday cashier. Many Saturdays later they decide: Enough with the deja vu! and date, then consummate, finally agreeing to terminate, as soon as he's finished his studies and returned to England.
Yelania Nightwalker

Leí este libro hace tantos meses (enero) y había olvidado por completo traerles la reseña. Cómo ligar a un duque es una novela que pese a su título, no trascurre en la regencia ni mucho menos, es un libro contemporáneo.

Bronte siempre ha aprendido todo lo que ha podido sobre la realeza, es una soñadora, algo que le traía muchos problemas con su padre, se llevaban pésimo, pero él amaba a su esposa, así que para Bronte, el hecho de que sus padres se quisieran era suficiente...

Por ahí dicen qu

Fyreball
Jan 05, 2013 Fyreball rated it it was amazing
Ok, my title is tongue in cheek, as an attempt to balance out Bronte's (h) potty mouth, which didn't offend me but I see it did other readers. To each her own, right? I thought this story rocked! I passed it up a couple of times because of the cover and then finally gave it a shot and was more than pleasantly surprised at how great it was. Here's why -

Bronte and Max are two ships that pass in the night the first few times they should have met, which just doesn't happen in most wham-bam-thank-you
Valerie Taylor Samuel
Jan 10, 2013 Valerie Taylor Samuel rated it did not like it
How does a high powered marketing female do a complete turn around and become a submissive fiancee to a privileged, arrogant, aristo? Read this book.

Ugh! Bronte was likeable before meeting Max...even with her penchant for dropping the f-word in every other sentence. True she moved from NYC to Chicago for an ill-fated romance with the Texan, but she rebounded... unfortunately into Max's arms. Unbeknownst to Bronte, Max is the heir to a dukedom, even though he is working on his dissertation at a u
Jennifer Probst
Jul 01, 2012 Jennifer Probst rated it it was amazing
I'm so lucky. I received an ARC of this book and cannot tell you how I adored this story. Witty, funny, beautifully written, I have found a brand new author to stalk. The romance between Bronte and Max was delightful, full of humor and class. I laughed, sighed, and teared up. Mulry is an author to watch.
Cris Díaz
Este libro lo leí ya hace tiempo, así que esta ha sido una relectura de un libro amable con un sentido del humor peculiar y una protagonista que puede no caer bien a todo el mundo.
No se puede decir que sea un libro original en su trama, pero tiene algunas situaciones divertidas y hace pasar un buen rato. No me resulta facilón, sensiblero ni dramático. Los protagonistas son mas o menos creíbles en sus reacciones.
Me gustan ambos por que no tenemos ni a la típica que quiere resolver todo por si mis
Rowena
Jan 10, 2014 Rowena rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review
Bronte keeps a lookout for a rebound to help mend her broken heart, and when she meets Max Heyworth, she’s certain he’s the perfect transition man. But when she discovers he’s a duke, she has to decide if she wants to stay with him for the long haul and deal with the opportunities– and challenges– of becoming a royal.

This book follows Bronte and Max on their very bumpy journey to their happy ending. Bronte and Max first meet up when Bronte moves to Chicago and sees a very good looking Max in the
Mary (BookHounds)
MY THOUGHTS

LOVED IT

Bronte really isn't looking for Mr. Right, she just wants someone. After dating Mr. Texas, she finds that although he is charming, he just isn't the right guy for her, even after moving to Chicago to see if the romance will go anywhere. She buckles down and becomes Career Girl. And to her surprise she meets an English guy. Now to fully understand Bronte, you need to know that she has a closet addiction to British royalty. She was enthralled when Diana married Charles, devastat
Jessica Luther
Oct 31, 2012 Jessica Luther rated it really liked it
My full review.

Mulry gives us years of Bronte and Max’s lives. She gives space for mess ups, for growth, for change, for angst. And in that way, it made it feel like we were on a journey with these two characters, not simply peeking in on a quick courtship.

Bronte is wonderful. Like any romance heroine, she makes incredibly frustrating choices and I want her to just give Max a chance even if I understand why she is hesitating. But man, I loved that she cursed all the fucking time. And I loved tha
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Dec 09, 2012 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, chick-lit, 2012
Bronte Talbot has worked hard since graduating to establish her career in advertising, and would never have imagined giving up her great life in New York for any man. But when she meets sexy "Mr Texas" at a party hosted by her British friends, David and Willa, she decides to let this all-American, fun-loving investor based in Chicago whisk her off her feet and take care of her. Unfortunately, after several months, Bronte realises that their relationship is going nowhere - unless she moves to ...more
Meredith

Originally published on The Librarian Next Door:

All her life, Bronte Talbot has been obsessed with the scandalous lives of the British royals. But while she soaks up all sorts of gossip about their love lives, her own isn’t going so well. After moving to Chicago for her boyfriend, the relationship abruptly ends and Bronte starts looking for her Transitional Man, the rebound guy to get her back in the game. Enter Max Heyworth, who is charming, handsome – and British! Bronte’s dead set on keeping
JiEun
Sep 23, 2013 JiEun rated it it was ok
Shelves: famous-ordinary
This is another book that I read while on my famous-guy-paired-with-an-ordinary-girl phase. Perhaps I expected a lot more from this, but all in all, I was rather disappointed by this book.

The writing style itself falls a little flat for me. I sense that the author was trying to perhaps bring to life some quick, witty banter or she was trying too hard to create characters that were cool in their live-in-the-moment, I-don't-care-what-others-think attitude, but the end result is that it felt too fo
Chelsey
Nov 20, 2012 Chelsey rated it it was amazing
I, just like Bronte, am enthralled with the lives of Royals. I wish I could live in their shoes for one day. But if this book made me realize anything it is that life as a commoner is the best way to live! Bronte is obsessed with the lives of the British Royalty, and I bet she never thought that she would end up dating one! Max Heyworth is soon to be the Duke of Northrop and has every intention of making Bronte his duchess. What he doesn’t know is that Bronte has just had her smashed, broken ...more
Anni
Jun 28, 2013 Anni rated it it was ok
At first I was really into this book- the language and writing style were engaging and I thought it would be a fun read.

But after a while, I got really fed up with the characters.

So we have Bronte, who is a late 20s independent career woman living in NYC. She is working well towards her goal and has a boss who appreciates her and thinks she'll go far (seriously, these days hardly anyone has that).

Then she decides to run off to Chicago to be with some rich jerk from Texas and surprisingly (since
SOS Aloha
Oct 24, 2012 SOS Aloha rated it it was amazing
“Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde

A ROYAL PAIN opens at an apartment party in NYC. The English hostess, Willa, hopes to introduce her American friend, Bronte, to her English friend, Max (en route to grad school in Chicago). But Max is late and Bronte meet “Mr. Texas” (a wandering spirit with a home in Chicago). Bronte begins a long distance romance with Mr. Texas. She even moves to Chicago
Kathy Martin
Nov 02, 2012 Kathy Martin rated it really liked it
Chick lit meets romance....and they have a beautiful baby! I read a lot of romances but don't read chick lit at all. I have never seen an episode of Sex in the City. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this romance between career-driven Bronte Talbot and British graduate student Max Heyworth. He neglects to mention that he is next inline to be the Duke of Northrop.

They were supposed to meet at a party thrown my mutual friends but his flight was late and she was swept up by Mr. Texas. She and Mr. Tex
Gail
This book is not really what it is advertised to be. The back cover copy seems to imply that it is trashy, gossipy, scandalous fun with lots of flash and crazy antics and uproar over the press and arguments with the family and such.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. This book is NOTHING like that. It is quiet, emotional, and rather psychological, delving into the heroine's relationship with her dead father. It spends what I consider to be way too much time in the beginning with the heroine
Erin Kyle
Apr 19, 2014 Erin Kyle rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I'm only 32% into this book so far, but I must take a break to share this important reaction with the wold: Bronte (Bron) is a total asshat. She's an idiot and reading about the choices she's making is super painful. Idiot, idiot, idiot. Just looking at how much has happened when there's still 67% of the book left to read is exhausting. And defeating. I'm not sure I can handle her special brand of stupid for 67% more!!!!!!

I've skimmed a LOT because there's just so MUCH to get through!! Sometimes
Ssil
Jan 10, 2014 Ssil rated it liked it
[3.5]

Con un título como Cómo ligar con un duque uno puede pensar que esta sea una novela divertida, fresca y ligera, pero la verdad es que no es este tipo de historia. Es mucho más profunda de lo que me esperaba y a pesar de ser un romance contemporáneo, tiene varios toques de narrativa femenina, y se centra mucho en la parte romántica (que es casi su único componente) pero es muy introspectiva en lo que a la protagonista se refiere.

Bronte está desconsolada. Siempre ha sido una mujer independien
Angelc
Nov 29, 2012 Angelc rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-own-read
Like the lead character of the book, Bronte, I read a lot of historical romances, so when I had the chance to read about a modern day romance with a Duke, I couldn't resist. I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. It was way more 'romance-y' than I expected it to be, and for me that is a great thing! I thought it would be more of a chick lit book, but even the writing style was like a romance, because the reader is able to see both Bronte and Max's points of view.

Max is
Blodeuedd Finland
I do not where to put this book in a way, it's kind of chick-lit, meets contemporary romance meets romantic fiction meets neurotic New Yorkers (ok so not a genre but I could not think of anything else.) Sure it's funny at times, romantic at times, but there is much more too.

The lovestory takes time, in all ways. It takes time for them to meet, to fall in love and more. I guess I was expecting instalove and a trip to England but no My Lord, that was not in the cards. There is drama, hardship and
Kathleen Kelly
Nov 04, 2012 Kathleen Kelly rated it really liked it
A young beautiful American woman and a handsome British Duke...what more could you ask for in a story?? Royal Pain is about a young woman, Bronte, who has had bad luck finding the right man until Max Heyworth..the attraction is instant. Bronte has always had an attraction for the 'royals', she knows everything about them, well most of them. When she meets Max she has no clue that he has some "royal" blood in his veins. Their relationship takes a turn and they go their own ways for a year and ...more
Andrea
This book took me nearly two months to get through and given the shortened length and light, summer chick lit read that I was going for, that is truly a very bad thing. This book initially had such a good premise: Bronte, an American who is obsessed with the royals and British culture, who is also a bit of a headstrong independent woman. The first part of the book had me and I was intrigued. And then it all fell flat. Max was a two dimensional, completely unrealistic duke. Ladies if you truly ...more
Natalia
Apr 20, 2015 Natalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free Books, .99 &...: Giveaway - A Royal Pain by Megan Mulry 3 17 Jun 24, 2013 08:20AM
  • Sad Desk Salad
  • A Parachute in the Lime Tree
  • A Royal Mess
  • Last Chance Beauty Queen (Last Chance, #3)
  • Until You
  • First Time Lucky?
  • The One In My Heart
  • Unraveling Josh (Ellery College, #3)
  • Lord Gray's List (The London List, #1)
  • Puzzle Pieces
  • Where There's A Will (Good Girl Series #2)
  • Breaking (Fall or Break, #2)
  • Country Loving (Talyton St George, #7)
  • Ashes and Wine
  • The Hidden Life
  • Believe It or Not: A Quirky Romantic Comedy for Summer Reading
  • Frisky Business
  • The Great Scot (Chisholm Brothers, #2)
Megan Mulry writes sexy, stylish, romantic fiction. Her first book, A Royal Pain, was an NPR Best Book of 2012 and USA Today bestseller. Before discovering her passion for romance novels, she worked in magazine publishing and finance. After many years in New York, Boston, London, and Chicago, she now lives with her family in Florida.
More about Megan Mulry...

Unruly Royals (4 books)
  • If the Shoe Fits (Unruly Royals, #2)
  • In Love Again (Unruly Royals, #3)
  • R Is for Rebel (Unruly Royals, #4)