Start by marking “A Royal Pain (Unruly Royals, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Royal Pain (Unruly Royals, #1)

A Royal Pain (Unruly Royals #1)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  1,368 ratings  ·  253 reviews
Bronte Talbott follows all of the exploits of the British royals. After all, they're the world's most preeminent dysfunctional family. And who is she to judge? Bronte's own search for love isn't going all that well, especially after her smooth-talking Texan boyfriend abruptly leaves her in the dust.

Bronte keeps a lookout for a rebound to help mend her broken heart, and whe
Published November 1st 2012 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Royal Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Royal Pain

The Selection by Kiera CassSuddenly Royal by Nichole ChaseThe Elite by Kiera CassThe One by Kiera CassThe Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
Lovely Tales of Modern Royals
25th out of 237 books — 394 voters
Bet Me by Jennifer CrusieTwenties Girl by Sophie KinsellaBetween Boyfriends by Sarka-Jonae MillerConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Chick Lit (contemporary, edgy, fun)
48th out of 230 books — 324 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate Sylvan
A Royal Pain is a great example of how to take a fantastic premise and utterly fuck it up in the execution.

In this case the premise is "girl meets boy, they fall in love, boy is secretly a duke," which, YES, I will read the hell out of that book and I am not ashamed.

The fucking up, sadly, is extensive and irredeemable. It occurs in the writing (and the characterization and the plotting, but primarily the writing). Mulry is... not a natural wordsmith. For one thing, her ear for dialogue suggests
Marlene
This dual review was originally published at Book Lovers Inc.

Marlene: A Royal Pain was just that, an absolute pain to read. I hate to put it that way, but the pun is just right there waiting to be said. I finished because I said I would. And I was on an airplane and “what the heck”.

Stella: I’m sorry to say but I completely agree. *sighs* Which is even sadder since from the moment I read its blurb I was predisposed and predestined to love it, I mean it is my go-to fantasy the normal, ordinary gir
Missy
Lyndi
What the fuck was that?

Anyone familiar with my reviews knows that I am really harsh on female main characters. I have high and specific standards. They may disappear sometimes and I'll somehow enjoy a TSTL heroine, but usually I'm incredibly harsh. Knowing that about me, knowing that I will quickly DNF a book because the female MC is annoying, TSTL, horrible, bitchy, whatever... please understand how serious I am when I say this girl, Bronte, is one of the worst characters I've ever read.

She was
Trevor Veale
A deliciously decadent romp in the thicket of thwarted desire, as Bronte Talbott first finds, then loses, then finds again Max Heyworth, the man with whom she is fated to be mated.
They meet seemingly by chance in a Chicago book store, when Bronte wanders thru the SF section after being bemused by a hot Saturday cashier. Many Saturdays later they decide: Enough with the deja vu! and date, then consummate, finally agreeing to terminate, as soon as he's finished his studies and returned to England.
Elii Vela

Leí este libro hace tantos meses (enero) y había olvidado por completo traerles la reseña. Cómo ligar a un duque es una novela que pese a su título, no trascurre en la regencia ni mucho menos, es un libro contemporáneo.

Bronte siempre ha aprendido todo lo que ha podido sobre la realeza, es una soñadora, algo que le traía muchos problemas con su padre, se llevaban pésimo, pero él amaba a su esposa, así que para Bronte, el hecho de que sus padres se quisieran era suficiente...

Por ahí dicen qu

Fyreball Reed
Ok, my title is tongue in cheek, as an attempt to balance out Bronte's (h) potty mouth, which didn't offend me but I see it did other readers. To each her own, right? I thought this story rocked! I passed it up a couple of times because of the cover and then finally gave it a shot and was more than pleasantly surprised at how great it was. Here's why -

Bronte and Max are two ships that pass in the night the first few times they should have met, which just doesn't happen in most wham-bam-thank-you
Valerie Taylor
How does a high powered marketing female do a complete turn around and become a submissive fiancee to a privileged, arrogant, aristo? Read this book.

Ugh! Bronte was likeable before meeting Max...even with her penchant for dropping the f-word in every other sentence. True she moved from NYC to Chicago for an ill-fated romance with the Texan, but she rebounded... unfortunately into Max's arms. Unbeknownst to Bronte, Max is the heir to a dukedom, even though he is working on his dissertation at a u
Jennifer Probst
I'm so lucky. I received an ARC of this book and cannot tell you how I adored this story. Witty, funny, beautifully written, I have found a brand new author to stalk. The romance between Bronte and Max was delightful, full of humor and class. I laughed, sighed, and teared up. Mulry is an author to watch.
Mary (BookHounds)
MY THOUGHTS

LOVED IT

Bronte really isn't looking for Mr. Right, she just wants someone. After dating Mr. Texas, she finds that although he is charming, he just isn't the right guy for her, even after moving to Chicago to see if the romance will go anywhere. She buckles down and becomes Career Girl. And to her surprise she meets an English guy. Now to fully understand Bronte, you need to know that she has a closet addiction to British royalty. She was enthralled when Diana married Charles, devastat
Jessica Luther
My full review.

Mulry gives us years of Bronte and Max’s lives. She gives space for mess ups, for growth, for change, for angst. And in that way, it made it feel like we were on a journey with these two characters, not simply peeking in on a quick courtship.

Bronte is wonderful. Like any romance heroine, she makes incredibly frustrating choices and I want her to just give Max a chance even if I understand why she is hesitating. But man, I loved that she cursed all the fucking time. And I loved tha
Rowena
Bronte keeps a lookout for a rebound to help mend her broken heart, and when she meets Max Heyworth, she’s certain he’s the perfect transition man. But when she discovers he’s a duke, she has to decide if she wants to stay with him for the long haul and deal with the opportunities– and challenges– of becoming a royal.

This book follows Bronte and Max on their very bumpy journey to their happy ending. Bronte and Max first meet up when Bronte moves to Chicago and sees a very good looking Max in the
Natalia
C. Purtill
Loved it - and Bronte. No, she's not perfect and she comes with a lot of baggage but don't we all? Megan Mulry gives readers the princess dream: the handsome duke from a foreign country who falls head over heels in love with our main character and sweeps her off her feet, as well as the cool career in a big city. Who wouldn't want to live Bronte's life?

Except, you know, that baggage. It includes a painful past with her late father and a lot of distrust of men and even though she truly wants her
Erin Kyle
I'm only 32% into this book so far, but I must take a break to share this important reaction with the wold: Bronte (Bron) is a total asshat. She's an idiot and reading about the choices she's making is super painful. Idiot, idiot, idiot. Just looking at how much has happened when there's still 67% of the book left to read is exhausting. And defeating. I'm not sure I can handle her special brand of stupid for 67% more!!!!!!

I've skimmed a LOT because there's just so MUCH to get through!! Sometimes
Blodeuedd Finland
I do not where to put this book in a way, it's kind of chick-lit, meets contemporary romance meets romantic fiction meets neurotic New Yorkers (ok so not a genre but I could not think of anything else.) Sure it's funny at times, romantic at times, but there is much more too.

The lovestory takes time, in all ways. It takes time for them to meet, to fall in love and more. I guess I was expecting instalove and a trip to England but no My Lord, that was not in the cards. There is drama, hardship and
Anni
At first I was really into this book- the language and writing style were engaging and I thought it would be a fun read.

But after a while, I got really fed up with the characters.

So we have Bronte, who is a late 20s independent career woman living in NYC. She is working well towards her goal and has a boss who appreciates her and thinks she'll go far (seriously, these days hardly anyone has that).

Then she decides to run off to Chicago to be with some rich jerk from Texas and surprisingly (since
SOS Aloha
“Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde

A ROYAL PAIN opens at an apartment party in NYC. The English hostess, Willa, hopes to introduce her American friend, Bronte, to her English friend, Max (en route to grad school in Chicago). But Max is late and Bronte meet “Mr. Texas” (a wandering spirit with a home in Chicago). Bronte begins a long distance romance with Mr. Texas. She even moves to Chicago
Kathleen Kelly
A young beautiful American woman and a handsome British Duke...what more could you ask for in a story?? Royal Pain is about a young woman, Bronte, who has had bad luck finding the right man until Max Heyworth..the attraction is instant. Bronte has always had an attraction for the 'royals', she knows everything about them, well most of them. When she meets Max she has no clue that he has some "royal" blood in his veins. Their relationship takes a turn and they go their own ways for a year and mee ...more
Angelc
Like the lead character of the book, Bronte, I read a lot of historical romances, so when I had the chance to read about a modern day romance with a Duke, I couldn't resist. I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. It was way more 'romance-y' than I expected it to be, and for me that is a great thing! I thought it would be more of a chick lit book, but even the writing style was like a romance, because the reader is able to see both Bronte and Max's points of view.

Max is
Ssil
[3.5]

Con un título como Cómo ligar con un duque uno puede pensar que esta sea una novela divertida, fresca y ligera, pero la verdad es que no es este tipo de historia. Es mucho más profunda de lo que me esperaba y a pesar de ser un romance contemporáneo, tiene varios toques de narrativa femenina, y se centra mucho en la parte romántica (que es casi su único componente) pero es muy introspectiva en lo que a la protagonista se refiere.

Bronte está desconsolada. Siempre ha sido una mujer independien
Chelsey
I, just like Bronte, am enthralled with the lives of Royals. I wish I could live in their shoes for one day. But if this book made me realize anything it is that life as a commoner is the best way to live! Bronte is obsessed with the lives of the British Royalty, and I bet she never thought that she would end up dating one! Max Heyworth is soon to be the Duke of Northrop and has every intention of making Bronte his duchess. What he doesn’t know is that Bronte has just had her smashed, broken hea ...more
Meredith

Originally published on The Librarian Next Door:

All her life, Bronte Talbot has been obsessed with the scandalous lives of the British royals. But while she soaks up all sorts of gossip about their love lives, her own isn’t going so well. After moving to Chicago for her boyfriend, the relationship abruptly ends and Bronte starts looking for her Transitional Man, the rebound guy to get her back in the game. Enter Max Heyworth, who is charming, handsome – and British! Bronte’s dead set on keeping
Kathy Martin
Chick lit meets romance....and they have a beautiful baby! I read a lot of romances but don't read chick lit at all. I have never seen an episode of Sex in the City. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this romance between career-driven Bronte Talbot and British graduate student Max Heyworth. He neglects to mention that he is next inline to be the Duke of Northrop.

They were supposed to meet at a party thrown my mutual friends but his flight was late and she was swept up by Mr. Texas. She and Mr. Tex
JiEun
This is another book that I read while on my famous-guy-paired-with-an-ordinary-girl phase. Perhaps I expected a lot more from this, but all in all, I was rather disappointed by this book.

The writing style itself falls a little flat for me. I sense that the author was trying to perhaps bring to life some quick, witty banter or she was trying too hard to create characters that were cool in their live-in-the-moment, I-don't-care-what-others-think attitude, but the end result is that it felt too fo
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Bronte Talbot has worked hard since graduating to establish her career in advertising, and would never have imagined giving up her great life in New York for any man. But when she meets sexy "Mr Texas" at a party hosted by her British friends, David and Willa, she decides to let this all-American, fun-loving investor based in Chicago whisk her off her feet and take care of her. Unfortunately, after several months, Bronte realises that their relationship is going nowhere - unless she moves to Chi ...more
Sulis Peri Hutan
review lengkap http://www.kubikelromance.com/2015/06...

cukup membutuhkan waktu yg lama menyelesaikan buku ini, dalam artian tidak selesai sekali duduk. bukan berarti jelek, aku sangat sangat menyukai ceritanya. kata penerjemahnya bahasa penulis agak susah untuk diterjemahkan, terjemahannya bagus, humornya bahkan kerasa cuma emang g bisa dibaca cepat-cepat, harus pelan-pelan untuk bisa menikmatinya. akkkk pengen baca lanjutannya deh
Angela
Hmmmm .... I really loved the bones of this story. 4 stars. It would make a really cute and fun rom-com movie. But I was not so in love with the constant f-bombs & other aspects of the actual writing. 1 star. I think the constant profanity was supposed to show the class difference between Bronte & Max, but it seemed a cheap and talent-less way to do that and was annoying and detracting from the story. Or it could have been to show her rebellion from her father. Or a quirky "commoner" hab ...more
Dena Shayne
I'm not sure I can legitimately rate this book- don't worry, I did- mostly because I wasn't even able to get halfway through it. Now while I have read better written fiction than this book, in all honesty, I have also read worse- much worse- and have liked those even more.
Why, you ask?

BECAUSE I WANT TO PUNCH our heroine, BRONTE (Oh yes, you read that correctly, Bronte- her FIRST NAME IS BRONTE!) IN THE FACE.

Why? Well..Her name is Bronte but people call her Bron. This isn't necessarily a problem-
Aly is so frigging bored
Nov 09, 2012 Aly is so frigging bored rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone in need for some relaxation
Recommended to Aly is so frigging bored by: Eloisa James' BN collumn
This was another of those "I.ll only read a little more" kind of books and I ended up.reading till 3 AM and I missed waking up when I should have this morning, I almost was late to school :))

Love both the hero and heroine and that they weren.t made to look perfect :) I had one or 2. "Oh come on"moments but besides thaose it was a great book! It was exactly what I needed after a sucky school week and laptop problems: fun, light, 1 or 2 emotional moments thrown in and had lots of humor.
  • Until You
  • Sad Desk Salad
  • The Runaway Princess
  • Last Chance Beauty Queen (Last Chance, #3)
  • First Time Lucky?
  • Extremely Famous (Famous, #3)
  • To Marry a Prince
  • Fool for Love (Cupcake Lovers, #1)
  • A Parachute in the Lime Tree
  • The Officer Breaks The Rules (Semper Fi, #2)
  • Midnight on Julia Street (Time Travel, #1)
  • My So Called Love Life
  • Ride with Me
  • Lord Gray's List (The London List, #1)
  • Hollywood Holiday (Red Carpet, #2)
  • Where There's A Will (Good Girl Series #2)
  • Frisky Business
  • Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, #1)
Megan Mulry writes sexy, stylish, romantic fiction. Her first book, A Royal Pain, was an NPR Best Book of 2012 and USA Today bestseller. Before discovering her passion for romance novels, she worked in magazine publishing and finance. After many years in New York, Boston, London, and Chicago, she now lives with her family in Florida.
More about Megan Mulry...

Unruly Royals (4 books)
  • If the Shoe Fits (Unruly Royals, #2)
  • In Love Again (Unruly Royals, #3)
  • R Is for Rebel (Unruly Royals, #4)
If the Shoe Fits (Unruly Royals, #2) Roulette R Is for Rebel (Unruly Royals, #4) In Love Again (Unruly Royals, #3) Bound to Be a Bride