Start by marking “Elsie's Motherhood (The Original Elsie Classics #5)” as Want to Read:
Elsie's Motherhood (The Original Elsie Classics #5)

Elsie's Motherhood (Elsie Dinsmore #5)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In this fifth volume in The Original Elsie Dinsmore Series, Elsie and Edward seek to impart their heritage of faith to their burgeoning family and also fight to prevent the persecution of an innocent person by the ruthless Ku Klux Klan.
Paperback
Published by Cumberland House Publishing (first published 1867)

To ask other readers questions about Elsie's Motherhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elsie's Motherhood

Tara Lynn
Sometimes I wonder while reading these, if their author was living in a perpetual rainbow bubble. While I can imagine that a rosy picture of Southern Reconstruction was painted for Northern abolitionists and philanthropists after the Civil War, there was still an overflow of information that came back from the impoverished South. While Finley's picture of Southern reconstruction is oddly rosy and explainable, she completely glosses over the fact that there is no way Elsie and her family's everda ...more
Holly
ELSIE'S MOTHERHOOD is #5 in the Elsie Dinsmore series. It's set in 1867-1868, the Reconstruction Era of the South. Elsie and her husband set out to educate the freed slaves, but the local Ku Klux Klan doesn't like that and burns down the schoolhouse. Nothing deterred, Mr. Travilla has the entire structure rebuilt. In retaliation the KKK then make another midnight attack, this time upon Elsie's very home!

Exciting stuff. Elsie emerges as a true heroine here in her championship of the blacks. She
Emily Whelchel
I grew up reading Martha Finley's stories about Elsie and loved them as a child. Re-reading them in adulthood, I can't help but struggle with the moral perfection of Elsie, Travilla, and the majority of her children. They live a picturesque life in a setting that realistically would have been destroyed by the Civil War. The relationship Elsie has with the black people in these stories is too motherly and patronizing for my taste. I still love Elsie Dinsmore and all of the characters, but I see m ...more
Gracie
Sep 02, 2012 Gracie added it
I think it was one of the most wonderful books I ever read. They have a scriptural base, as to how she raised her family in a Godly way. I'm not good at reviews, but I must say this book is exceptionally good. All her books are very wonderful. It makes you rethink how we raise our own children to revere scripture.
Rachel
I really like this series although it's a bit Calvinistic in its theology, and it's a bit uber-Christian; i.e., the Christians are really, really good and the non-Christians are really, really bad.
Elisabeth Gimenez
I just finished reading this one. It was reeally good. I like learning about the group in the book but it is sad what they did to "negroes" in those days, and how they burned down the black schools.
Nicole G.
Sunshine and lollipops and rainbows everywhere! Yes, even during Reconstruction! Lots of KKK action, but Elsie's family is never harmed because they love Jesus. *yawn*
Brenna
This is the best book of the Elsie Dinsmore series. I love learning about this time in history!I especially like learning about the Klu Klux Klan and the civil war.
Alyssa
It was good, but I got bored in the middle so I basically just skimmed the rest.
Bkwyrm
I had to stop for the moment. My teeth started hurting from the sweetness.
Miriam
I think all the Elsie books are amazing!!
Felicity
Jul 11, 2008 Felicity rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Felicity by: my penpals Ellyn and Anna
I love the Elsie Dinsmoor series!
Marie
Good for the lolz.
Grace Carter
Grace Carter marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Caryn
Caryn added it
May 21, 2015
Lydia Godleski
Lydia Godleski marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
karen a. omalley
karen a. omalley marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Emma Tappe
Emma Tappe marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Shareen
Shareen marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Mariah
Mariah marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Without a Trace (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #5)
  • Polly
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • Pieces of Light
  • Dating Mr. Darcy
  • Vinegar Boy: Encounter Christ Through the Dramatic Story of Vinegar Boy
  • Alone Yet Not Alone
  • Flying Blind (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #8)
  • Drums of Change: The Story of Running Fawn
  • Wild Thing (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #1)
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
Martha Finley was a teacher and author of numerous works, the most well known being the 28 volume Elsie Dinsmore series which was published over a span of 38 years. Finley wrote many of her books under the pseudonym Martha Farquharson.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_F... or, http://marthafinley.wordpress.com/
More about Martha Finley...

Elsie Dinsmore (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Elsie Dinsmore (The Original Elsie Classics #1)
  • Elsie's Holidays at Roselands (The Original Elsie Classics #2)
  • Elsie's Girlhood (The Original Elsie Classics #3)
  • Elsie's Womanhood (The Original Elsie Classics, #4)
  • Elsie's Children (The Original Elsie Classics #6)
  • Elsie's Widowhood (The Original Elsie Classics #7)
  • Grandmother Elsie (The Original Elsie Classics #8)
  • Elsie's New Relations (The Original Elsie Classics #9)
  • Elsie at Nantucket (The Original Elsie Classics #10)
  • The Two Elsies (The Original Elsie Classics #11)
Elsie Dinsmore (The Original Elsie Classics #1) Elsie's Endless Wait (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #1) Elsie's Impossible Choice (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #2) Elsie's New Life (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #3) Elsie's Stolen Heart (A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore #4)