Start by marking “Elsie's Motherhood (The Original Elsie Classics #5)” as Want to Read:
Elsie's Motherhood (The Original Elsie Classics #5)

Elsie's Motherhood (Elsie Dinsmore #5)

In this fifth volume in The Original Elsie Dinsmore Series, Elsie and Edward seek to impart their heritage of faith to their burgeoning family and also fight to prevent the persecution of an innocent person by the ruthless Ku Klux Klan.
Paperback
Published May 1st 2000 by Cumberland House Publishing (first published 1867)

To ask other readers questions about Elsie's Motherhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elsie's Motherhood

Lydia Dyslin
I just can't finish this, about halfway through the book I lost interest. I don't know why, it wasn't bad, it's just that I can't connect with the characters. They are role models, but I can't connect or relate to any of them. :(
Tara Lynn
Jan 12, 2009 Tara Lynn rated it it was ok
Sometimes I wonder while reading these, if their author was living in a perpetual rainbow bubble. While I can imagine that a rosy picture of Southern Reconstruction was painted for Northern abolitionists and philanthropists after the Civil War, there was still an overflow of information that came back from the impoverished South. While Finley's picture of Southern reconstruction is oddly rosy and explainable, she completely glosses over the fact that there is no way Elsie and her family's everda ...more
Rachel
Jun 15, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
This series is a bit Calvinistic in its theology, and it's also a bit uber-Christian; i.e., the Christians are really, really good and the non-Christians are really, really bad.
Holly
Mar 29, 2012 Holly rated it it was amazing
ELSIE'S MOTHERHOOD is #5 in the Elsie Dinsmore series. It's set in 1867-1868, the Reconstruction Era of the South. Elsie and her husband set out to educate the freed slaves, but the local Ku Klux Klan doesn't like that and burns down the schoolhouse. Nothing deterred, Mr. Travilla has the entire structure rebuilt. In retaliation the KKK then make another midnight attack, this time upon Elsie's very home!

Exciting stuff. Elsie emerges as a true heroine here in her championship of the blacks. She
Emily Whelchel
Feb 03, 2015 Emily Whelchel rated it liked it
I grew up reading Martha Finley's stories about Elsie and loved them as a child. Re-reading them in adulthood, I can't help but struggle with the moral perfection of Elsie, Travilla, and the majority of her children. They live a picturesque life in a setting that realistically would have been destroyed by the Civil War. The relationship Elsie has with the black people in these stories is too motherly and patronizing for my taste. I still love Elsie Dinsmore and all of the characters, but I see m ...more
Gracie
Sep 02, 2012 Gracie added it
I think it was one of the most wonderful books I ever read. They have a scriptural base, as to how she raised her family in a Godly way. I'm not good at reviews, but I must say this book is exceptionally good. All her books are very wonderful. It makes you rethink how we raise our own children to revere scripture.
Shari Klase
Mar 08, 2016 Shari Klase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old fashioned feast

I feel like I've been nourished when I read these Elsie Dinsmore books. This one was very exciting as it introduced the Ku Klux Klan into the narrative. Another wonderful story by Martha Findlay.

Brenna
Aug 12, 2012 Brenna rated it it was amazing
This is the best book of the Elsie Dinsmore series. I love learning about this time in history!I especially like learning about the Klu Klux Klan and the civil war.
Elisabeth Gimenez
Aug 16, 2012 Elisabeth Gimenez rated it liked it
I just finished reading this one. It was reeally good. I like learning about the group in the book but it is sad what they did to "negroes" in those days, and how they burned down the black schools.
Nicole G.
Sep 21, 2011 Nicole G. rated it it was ok
Sunshine and lollipops and rainbows everywhere! Yes, even during Reconstruction! Lots of KKK action, but Elsie's family is never harmed because they love Jesus. *yawn*
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Aug 08, 2008
Jaime
Jaime rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2007
Briana
Briana rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Elsie Stoltzfus
Elsie Stoltzfus rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2009
Kay
Kay rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2009
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2008
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Jeannie
Jeannie rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2009
Maddie Foster
Maddie Foster rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2013
Esther
Esther rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2012
Benayah Lansiquot
Benayah Lansiquot rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2011
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2016
Bekahb
Bekahb rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Alyssa Tabor
Alyssa Tabor rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Stranded (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #14)
  • Andy (Ellie's People #6)
  • Dating Mr. Darcy
  • Vinegar Boy: Encounter Christ Through the Dramatic Story of Vinegar Boy
  • Pieces of Light
Martha Finley was a teacher and author of numerous works, the most well known being the 28 volume Elsie Dinsmore series which was published over a span of 38 years. Finley wrote many of her books under the pseudonym Martha Farquharson.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_F... or, http://marthafinley.wordpress.com/
More about Martha Finley...

Elsie Dinsmore (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Elsie Dinsmore (The Original Elsie Classics #1)
  • Elsie's Holidays at Roselands (The Original Elsie Classics #2)
  • Elsie's Girlhood (The Original Elsie Classics #3)
  • Elsie's Womanhood (The Original Elsie Classics, #4)
  • Elsie's Children (The Original Elsie Classics #6)
  • Elsie's Widowhood (The Original Elsie Classics #7)
  • Grandmother Elsie (The Original Elsie Classics #8)
  • Elsie's New Relations (The Original Elsie Classics #9)
  • Elsie at Nantucket (The Original Elsie Classics #10)
  • The Two Elsies (The Original Elsie Classics #11)