Start by marking “Last Shot (Tim Rackley, #4)” as Want to Read:
Last Shot (Tim Rackley, #4)

Last Shot (Tim Rackley #4)

A seemingly impossible prison escape. A powerful and corrupt company. And a little boy's life hanging in the balance. Three startling plot threads come together as deputy U.S. marshal Tim Rackley faces the most deadly adversary of his career—a man whose lethal skills, cunning, and single-minded determination make him a mirror image of Rackley himself.

Walker Jameson, dishon
Published September 1st 2006 by William Morrow & Company (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Last Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Shot

The Lost Symbol by Dan BrownFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyFrom Man to Man by D.E.M. EmrysRed Dragon by Thomas HarrisHannibal by Thomas Harris
More Books not to Miss
32nd out of 68 books — 3 voters
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie61 Hours by Lee ChildThe Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleMystic River by Dennis LehaneThe Alienist by Caleb Carr
Great Crime and Mysteries
59th out of 115 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

LAST SHOT (Pub. 2006) by Gregg Hurwitz is the author's seventh novel, and the fourth in Hurwitz's Tim Rackley series. I stumbled across this author while perusing the library shelves a couple months ago, and he immediately shot to the top of my favorite-authors list. You know you've found reading gold when you scramble to get every book written by the author, no matter the cost or the hassle. I've blazed through almost the entire 20-book oeuvre, and thoroughly enjoyed every story, but LAST SHOT ...more
Heidi Pedersen
Aug 22, 2016 Heidi Pedersen rated it really liked it
Wow....that about sums up this book!

Walker Jameson, dishonorably discharged from the special forces military, is now in jail with just a year left to serve. Inexplicably, he starts a prison riot by killing a major player, and escapes. No one can figure out how....or why.

Tim "Troubleshooter" Rackley is the US Marshal assigned to catch him, and it soon becomes apparent that in order to catch him, the team needs to figure out why he escaped. Tim is known for his past unorthodox thought processes a
Stan Usher
Feb 16, 2016 Stan Usher rated it really liked it
Best book in the Rackley series. The only negative I have stopping it from getting higher than 4 stars is that usually if there is someone in a book who is a vigilante, I can usually find something to root for with them, but Walker Jameson is a nasty piece of work. Murders a guy for a diversion to begin with, then proceeds to murder just about everyone who he meets up with, some in very gruesome ways. I know he is doing it for revenge, but does he have to seem so excited to kill peeps? Apart fro ...more
Frank Smith
Feb 22, 2015 Frank Smith rated it it was amazing
Second time I've read one of this author's works and I loved it as much if not more than the first.
Tells the story from shifting first person perspectives and constantly challenges the characters and by extension us the readers many very complex questions about morality and what exactly is the right thing.
Ends with a bit of a bittersweet ending, but think anything less would of made the story before somehow hold less of a emotional punch.
Has action, suspense, corporate espionage [of a sort] a
Dine Danne
Jan 27, 2011 Dine Danne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worum geht es in diesem vierten Band um den US Marshal Tim Rackley, der nicht immer streng nach Vorschrift arbeitet?
Um einen Pharmakonzern und dessen Genforschungen, einen kleinen Jungen, der Hilfe von diesem Konzern bräuchte und um einen Exmarine, der straffällig wurde und aus dem Gefängnis ausgebrochen ist.
Wie diese verschiedenen Punkte zusammengehören, wird im Laufe der Geschichte immer deutlicher. Und es steckt noch etwas ganz anderes hinter all den aufgeführten Dingen, die manche Fakten in
May 03, 2010 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006-reads
PROTAGONIST: Deputy US Marshal Tim Rackley
SERIES: #4 of 4
RATING: 4.25

Don’t you just love it when you open a book and are so captivated that you find yourself drinking down the words without even pausing to take a breath? That was my experience as I started Last Shot. I was pulled headfirst into a narrative that provided an unflinching look at hard men doing hard time at Terminal Island Penitentiary. And one of the hardest of those men is Walker Jameson, a man who is not easily labeled. He’s mana
Jul 29, 2016 Darlene rated it really liked it
Another solid Tim Rackley suspense offering, this time with a complicated antagonist who could be Tim's shadow. The story starts with a prison break and the US Marshal's office is called in, with "Troubleshooter" Rackley on the job. It was amusing and poignant to see his home life with his active and into everything toddler son, especially since the series has focused so much on Rackley's tragic family circumstances.

And this book is all about family. The escaped con has an agenda, and his purpo
Jul 24, 2008 Jp rated it really liked it
This was the latest in Gregg Hurwitz's Deputy Marshall Tim Rackley series. It was a thriller, a mystery and a poignant story of what someone will do for family.

This is where I start running into spoiler territory, but it's all on the jacket cover. The villain of the piece is someone that parallel's the protagonist, Rackley in many ways. Walker Jameson is a military trained soldier (yes, I realize that's redundant, but I'm talking about his recon marine training rather than basic training, so it
Stacy Buscaglia
Apr 05, 2015 Stacy Buscaglia rated it really liked it
This is a great book - its one of those that you can't put down so don't read it until you have a weekend to devote to it with no interruptions. So far I've read all 4 of the novels about U.S Marshal Tim Rackley and they are a great ride but this is my favorite. I love all the characters, new and old. The end scenario is not surprising but its well worth the journey of the read. The book does center on a lot of emotion from the various characters and of course from Tim and Dray as well. I found ...more
Scott Loveland
Jul 03, 2016 Scott Loveland rated it liked it
Good story, fast pace, and a satisfying (small) twist at the end I didn't see coming. But I give this one only three stars because the author tried to be too clever in his descriptive phrasing and paragraph structure, and the result was somewhat disorienting. I often had to re-read a paragraph of exposition to understand it. The is especially true in this first half of the book. In the latter half when events are unfolding at a furious pace he mostly dispenses with all that and just tells the st ...more
Aug 27, 2016 Keri rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook

Gregg Hurwitz is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. His book Orphan X was excellent. He writes great characters and he doesn't take the obvious or typical path. I don't always love the endings but that's only because he doesn't always give us the perfect HEA type ending. He instead gives a much more realistic ending.... which is better.
Ed Schmidt
May 13, 2016 Ed Schmidt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Walker Jameson have 18 months left on his prison sentence but escapes to find how who killed his sister. He discovers that he has a nephew whose liver is failing and he was mysteriously dropped from a clinical trail of a new drug that could save his life.Deputy Marshal Tom Rackley is hot on the trail to return Jameson to prison, but the only trail he seems to find is a trail of dead bodies that Jameson is leaving. In the intrim, Rackley is dealing with Big Pharma, rape, corruption, possible blac ...more
Sep 01, 2010 Skip rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
I hate reading a series out of order, but somehow read #4 before #3. Tim Rackley, back in the good graces of the US Marshal's office, is called in to solve the disappearance of a soldier from a maximum security prison, who has escaped to exact vengeance for his sister's staged suicide. I did not care for the somewhat silly plot line involving a biotech company IPO, with questionable ethics imperiling the life of the escapee's son. Rackley does the right thing. I also liked the title, which has s ...more
Oct 06, 2011 Rhod rated it really liked it
Thanks to friend Sarah, I now have a new author to check out. This story was outstanding. For the first 50 or so pages I couldn't figure out where it was going and was a bit unsure I wanted to go there. But boy did the story pick up and carry me along. This is not a short book, but I would urge readers to stay with it. Well worth the time.
Aug 12, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: tim-rackley
This is the fourth and last (at least for now) in his Tim Rackley series. Rack is after another former Army Ranger, not just physically in looks but with the same training....he's chasing his twin. With the inter-action with his wife, Dray, a former deputy, and now stay-at-home mom, Rack is a good husband, dad, and one bad ass Troubleshooter.
Really enjoyed this series.
May 27, 2016 Alan rated it liked it
An ex-Special Forces prisoner escapes from Terminal Island and goes on a revenge killing spree. Rackley must try to apprehend someone whose skills are more recent and who is in better shape than he is. Big pharma and evil businessmen. I got turned off by some of the medical science. I have trouble with suspending my disbelief when medicine is involved.
Nov 03, 2014 Kerry rated it really liked it
I almost gave up on this book about a third of the way through as I wasn't finding it very exciting or compelling. I'm glad I didn't give up as it turned out to be an excellent book that had me staying up late to finish reading it.
Gregg Hutchings
Jul 26, 2012 Gregg Hutchings rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The underdog, a federal prison escapee, Walker Jameson, manages to elude the Troubleshooter, leaving him in awe of his abilities, and dedication to his own personal vendetta. Made you root for the escapee, even though he was breaking the law.
Dec 07, 2010 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: page-turners
I read this book a couple of weeks ago and cannot remember anything about it. Not sure if that speaks to the book, or to my state of mind lately.
Just read the synopsis and it came back to me. Not a bad book. Guess it's my state of mind! :)
Tom Kinney
Feb 02, 2015 Tom Kinney rated it really liked it
Gregg Hurwitz is a good writer, and I like the Tim Rackley series. This one was more emotional than the others, and a little sad, but otherwise rewarding. I wish there were more than 4 books in this series, but this was a fitting conclusion.
Jun 22, 2011 Dawn rated it liked it
I've read several of his books about Marshall Rackley, and I've enjoyed them all. The story was good - lots of suspense. I think I only have one more Hurwitz to read before I'm caught up with all his past titles.
jessica wilson
Apr 07, 2015 jessica wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
What can I say, I like this Rackley guy. It's a fast paced, L.A. full suspense series with a likable character who struggles with right and wrong. I'm surprised this series has not been developed for film or television yet.
Marcus V. Calvert
Jan 10, 2013 Marcus V. Calvert rated it really liked it
I like vegeance stories. I like them more when the "villain" is the only one who can save the day. The plot's too good to just be in a book. This would be a worthy movie. Hands down. This and "The Kill Clause" are worthy pieces. I'm going to have to track down the other 2.
Apr 22, 2014 M rated it did not like it
The first few chapters were really good, then it fell apart. I liked it enough to want to see how it ended so I skipped to the last few chapters and skimmed. Very predictable ending.
Jan 11, 2014 Ricardo rated it really liked it
I am not a big fan of Hurwitz based on his previous books, which I found to be average at best. However, in this one, he got all his ducks in a row. Great read!
Feb 06, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing
One of the things I like about the Tim Rackley stories is that his wife is strong, too - although she usually doesn't have a very big part.
Oct 20, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Didn't realize it was part of a series, but it makes sense because I felt like I was missing back-story while reading. It was great story. Note: it's violent and has its share of naughty words.
Mary Mathews
Apr 06, 2014 Mary Mathews rated it really liked it
A mystery that begins in a prison and end in a different one. In between is a chase matching men with similar backgrounds and corporate villains.
Barbara B.
Oct 02, 2013 Barbara B. rated it really liked it
Have enjoyed following this action packed character in the 4 books about him. Sadly, this author hasn't written a 5th......yet.
Dec 30, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
This is the first Tim Rackley novel that I obviously out of order but it didn't seem to matter. Very complex, well written thriller with medical twist.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wild Card (Tony Valentine #0.5)
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Skin Deep
  • Never Say Spy (The Never Say Spy Series Book 1)
  • The Solomon Effect (Jax Alexander Mystery #2)
  • The Zarrabian Incident
  • The Wind Dancer/Storm Winds
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • Assassin (Samuel Carver, #3)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox Thriller, #1)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Dead Man Waltzing (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #2)
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • The Four Legendary Kingdoms (Jack West Jr, #4)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland)
  • Walking Dead
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the New York Times bestselling author of 15 thrillers, including the recently released ORPHAN X. His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been translated into 27 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine, Punisher) and DC (Batman, Peng
More about Gregg Hurwitz...

Tim Rackley (4 books)
  • The Kill Clause (Tim Rackley, #1)
  • The Program (Tim Rackley, #2)
  • Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley, #3)