Start by marking “Last Shot (Tim Rackley #4)” as Want to Read:
Last Shot (Tim Rackley #4)

Last Shot (Tim Rackley #4)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A seemingly impossible prison escape. A powerful and corrupt company. And a little boy's life hanging in the balance. Three startling plot threads come together as deputy U.S. marshal Tim Rackley faces the most deadly adversary of his career—a man whose lethal skills, cunning, and single-minded determination make him a mirror image of Rackley himself.

Walker Jameson, dishon
Published September 1st 2006 by William Morrow & Company (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Last Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Shot

The Jackpot by David KazzieThe Whaler by Steve RoachCity of Darkness by Kim WrightThe Black Witch by Micheal RiversThe Spanish Helmet by Greg Scowen
Books that look Good
55th out of 70 books — 7 voters
61 Hours by Lee ChildAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMystic River by Dennis LehaneThe Alienist by Caleb CarrThe Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe
Great Crime and Mysteries
53rd out of 109 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Alex
LAST SHOT (Pub. 2006) by Gregg Hurwitz is the author's seventh novel, and the fourth in Hurwitz's Tim Rackley series. I stumbled across this author while perusing the library shelves a couple months ago, and he immediately shot to the top of my favorite-authors list. You know you've found reading gold when you scramble to get every book written by the author, no matter the cost or the hassle. I've blazed through almost the entire 20-book oeuvre, and thoroughly enjoyed every story, but LAST SHOT ...more
Frank Smith
Second time I've read one of this author's works and I loved it as much if not more than the first.
Tells the story from shifting first person perspectives and constantly challenges the characters and by extension us the readers many very complex questions about morality and what exactly is the right thing.
Ends with a bit of a bittersweet ending, but think anything less would of made the story before somehow hold less of a emotional punch.
Has action, suspense, corporate espionage [of a sort] a
Dine
Worum geht es in diesem vierten Band um den US Marshal Tim Rackley, der nicht immer streng nach Vorschrift arbeitet?
Um einen Pharmakonzern und dessen Genforschungen, einen kleinen Jungen, der Hilfe von diesem Konzern bräuchte und um einen Exmarine, der straffällig wurde und aus dem Gefängnis ausgebrochen ist.
Wie diese verschiedenen Punkte zusammengehören, wird im Laufe der Geschichte immer deutlicher. Und es steckt noch etwas ganz anderes hinter all den aufgeführten Dingen, die manche Fakten in
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Deputy US Marshal Tim Rackley
SERIES: #4 of 4
RATING: 4.25

Don’t you just love it when you open a book and are so captivated that you find yourself drinking down the words without even pausing to take a breath? That was my experience as I started Last Shot. I was pulled headfirst into a narrative that provided an unflinching look at hard men doing hard time at Terminal Island Penitentiary. And one of the hardest of those men is Walker Jameson, a man who is not easily labeled. He’s mana
Stacy Buscaglia
This is a great book - its one of those that you can't put down so don't read it until you have a weekend to devote to it with no interruptions. So far I've read all 4 of the novels about U.S Marshal Tim Rackley and they are a great ride but this is my favorite. I love all the characters, new and old. The end scenario is not surprising but its well worth the journey of the read. The book does center on a lot of emotion from the various characters and of course from Tim and Dray as well. I found ...more
Jp
This was the latest in Gregg Hurwitz's Deputy Marshall Tim Rackley series. It was a thriller, a mystery and a poignant story of what someone will do for family.

This is where I start running into spoiler territory, but it's all on the jacket cover. The villain of the piece is someone that parallel's the protagonist, Rackley in many ways. Walker Jameson is a military trained soldier (yes, I realize that's redundant, but I'm talking about his recon marine training rather than basic training, so it
Kerry
I almost gave up on this book about a third of the way through as I wasn't finding it very exciting or compelling. I'm glad I didn't give up as it turned out to be an excellent book that had me staying up late to finish reading it.
M
The first few chapters were really good, then it fell apart. I liked it enough to want to see how it ended so I skipped to the last few chapters and skimmed. Very predictable ending.
Skip
I hate reading a series out of order, but somehow read #4 before #3. Tim Rackley, back in the good graces of the US Marshal's office, is called in to solve the disappearance of a soldier from a maximum security prison, who has escaped to exact vengeance for his sister's staged suicide. I did not care for the somewhat silly plot line involving a biotech company IPO, with questionable ethics imperiling the life of the escapee's son. Rackley does the right thing. I also liked the title, which has s ...more
John Melendez Sr
Very good; I liked it
Mary Mathews
A mystery that begins in a prison and end in a different one. In between is a chase matching men with similar backgrounds and corporate villains.
Ricardo
I am not a big fan of Hurwitz based on his previous books, which I found to be average at best. However, in this one, he got all his ducks in a row. Great read!
Jay
A great page turner.
jessica wilson
What can I say, I like this Rackley guy. It's a fast paced, L.A. full suspense series with a likable character who struggles with right and wrong. I'm surprised this series has not been developed for film or television yet.
Lee
This is the fourth and last (at least for now) in his Tim Rackley series. Rack is after another former Army Ranger, not just physically in looks but with the same training....he's chasing his twin. With the inter-action with his wife, Dray, a former deputy, and now stay-at-home mom, Rack is a good husband, dad, and one bad ass Troubleshooter.
Really enjoyed this series.
Rhod
Thanks to friend Sarah, I now have a new author to check out. This story was outstanding. For the first 50 or so pages I couldn't figure out where it was going and was a bit unsure I wanted to go there. But boy did the story pick up and carry me along. This is not a short book, but I would urge readers to stay with it. Well worth the time.
Marcus V. Calvert
I like vegeance stories. I like them more when the "villain" is the only one who can save the day. The plot's too good to just be in a book. This would be a worthy movie. Hands down. This and "The Kill Clause" are worthy pieces. I'm going to have to track down the other 2.
Gregg Hutchings
I really liked this book. The underdog, a federal prison escapee, Walker Jameson, manages to elude the Troubleshooter, leaving him in awe of his abilities, and dedication to his own personal vendetta. Made you root for the escapee, even though he was breaking the law.
Tom Kinney
Gregg Hurwitz is a good writer, and I like the Tim Rackley series. This one was more emotional than the others, and a little sad, but otherwise rewarding. I wish there were more than 4 books in this series, but this was a fitting conclusion.
Suzanne
I read this book a couple of weeks ago and cannot remember anything about it. Not sure if that speaks to the book, or to my state of mind lately.
Just read the synopsis and it came back to me. Not a bad book. Guess it's my state of mind! :)
Dawn
I've read several of his books about Marshall Rackley, and I've enjoyed them all. The story was good - lots of suspense. I think I only have one more Hurwitz to read before I'm caught up with all his past titles.
Becky
Didn't realize it was part of a series, but it makes sense because I felt like I was missing back-story while reading. It was great story. Note: it's violent and has its share of naughty words.
Amy
This is the first Tim Rackley novel that I read...so obviously out of order but it didn't seem to matter. Very complex, well written thriller with medical twist.
Barbara B.
Have enjoyed following this action packed character in the 4 books about him. Sadly, this author hasn't written a 5th......yet.
Mark
lots of action with vivid scenes and realistic story line. This will keep you engaged, don't miss it!!
Joanne
New author for me...enjoyed the read, will put Hurwitz on my author list.
Linda Hahn
Outstanding. Hurwitz at his best.
Good cat-and-mouse game.
Julie
Could not finish.
  • Wild Card (Tony Valentine #0.5)
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Skin Deep
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland)
  • The Solomon Effect
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox Thriller, #1)
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • PRIMAL Mirza (A PRIMAL Series Novella)
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • The Wind Dancer/Storm Winds
  • The Death List
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Whirlpool
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the New York Times bestselling author of 15 thrillers, including the upcoming ORPHAN X. His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been translated into 22 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine, Punisher) and DC (Batman, Penguin). Add
More about Gregg Hurwitz...

Tim Rackley (4 books)
  • The Kill Clause (Tim Rackley, #1)
  • The Program (Tim Rackley #2)
  • Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley #3)
You're Next The Survivor They're Watching Trust No One Batman: The Dark Knight, Vol. 2: Cycle of Violence