Start by marking “Uncle Willie and the Soup (Reading Rainbow Books)” as Want to Read:
Uncle Willie and the Soup (Reading Rainbow Books)

Uncle Willie and the Soup (Reading Rainbow Books)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A boy spends the day with Uncle Willie in the soup kitchen where he works preparing and serving food for the hungry.
Published April 24th 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Willie and the Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Willie and the Soup

Courtney
*The 'review' here is notes I wrote on the book at least a year ago (if not longer). I didn't have time to write it up then, so I scribbled some notes down so I could write one later that day... then apparently lost the note, and totally forgot. Whoops!*

Nice illustrations & story; it seems a little slow at times, but the author interjects humour throughout to try to keep readers interested. It's a good way to introduce the subject of poverty or homelessness to children, or to encourage kids
Suzanne
This book is a good read-aloud of realistic fiction that is a suitable fit for children ages Kindergarten through 4th grade. The topic is relevant for this age level, and the content contains an engaging plot with full characters children will be able to connect to. Language is completely non-offensive and suitable. Illustrations correlate to setting, and add to the story in a positive way. A range of multicultural characters is represented, but with slightly unfavorable typecasts. The lifestyle ...more
Taina
When going through a text set exposing children to oppression and privilege, it is important to show them what they can do to even playing fields, a way of being active and making change. This title is both great at showing children that they can use their privilege to even the playing field for those who are oppressed. It also shows the importance of family.
Jasmine Winters
Uncle Willie and Soup Kitchen is an accessible access point for younger children to start to understand the concept of hunger and homelessness. Students learn what a soup kitchen is and how just a few people who volunteer their time can make a huge difference in their community. It also works to humanize homeless people.
Jasmine
Our families often teach many things. In Uncle Willie and the Soup Kitchen, a boy goes to visit his uncle at his job. His uncle works at the soup kitchen and learns about poverty. It is a great story to expose children to the good things we can do to help those in need.
Ms Threlkeld
This book has a really important message and could spark some thoughtful discussions with kids about living in poverty. It feel very out of date, though, and I'm not sure kids would pick it up on their own or stay engaged during a read aloud.
Garrett Ellis
This would be a good book for service to others and being mindful of others! Would be a great book to have in the classroom! It could help lead some students into a discussion about what thy could do to help others in their community!
Jen
Aug 07, 2014 Jen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Read for empathy
Asho
This was in our latest library book bundle about food. I'm giving this three stars because I appreciate the subject matter and how it is handled, but I wish there was more of a plot and/or a clear lesson at the end. I also think this book has a lot of text. I had to break it up over two nights because it was too long to be a bedtime story. I think even for an older child it would be a pretty long bedtime book. It's a 10+ minute read, longer if you have a child who wants to look at the pictures a ...more
Terina
I used this for 6 to 10 year olds at Peace Camp. We talked about service to others, not judging those in need, and people in our community. We followed with a neighborhood walk to collect items for the local food pantry. This book held everyone's attention. They asked good questions connecting the book to our community (where is our soup kitchen, who helps there, how many people use it, what about kids in our town).
Jodi Santora
Good read-aloud for kindness and getting to know people. It is the story of a boy who is watched after school by a man named Willie. Willie works everyday as a cook and server at a soup kitchen. On a day out of school, the boy gets to spend time working at the soup kitchen and getting to know the people it serves.
Brittany White
This book allows a deep conversation of typical social awareness and feelings. In regards to those who are homeless, students may feel an uneasiness. However, through a discussion of our feelings and relating them to this book, students may obtain a greater understanding and compassion for the homeless.
Martha
This is a great book to read to kids!! It gives an elementary explanation for children about the homeless that sometimes cannot be easily answered. I was grateful for the inclusion of the child and his discovery of the homeless and the importance of lending a helping hand.
Jennifer Oaks
A young boy's uncle volunteers a great deal of his time helping to feed the poor. This would be an excellent book to bring up the topic of community service and even start a can drive at the end of the year around Christmas.
Sara
This book gives a typical perspective on soup kitchens. I think I could incorporate this book into my religion class to discuss service projects with my students.
Kelly
This is the story of a boy who learns about the hungry and needy through helping his uncle, who works in a soup kitchen.
Rachel
A pleasant and educational look at the people behind the scenes and those who are the scenes of a soup kitchen.
Edward Sullivan
Sensitively told story that is unfortunately more topical today than when it was published 20 years ago.
Kymberly
I love this. Shows the kids that it is nice to help others.
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Najla
Najla marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Ema added it
Apr 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
196799
Born in Brooklyn, New York, DiSalvo attended the School of Visual Arts before working for Hallmark Cards. Published since 1980 her award winning illustrated books include renowned authors, Beverly Clearly, Mary Pope Osborne, Jean Fritz, Jane O'Connor, Patricia Reilly Giff, Jean Marzollo and Amy Hest.

Writer and Illustrator, her trade mark theme of "helping neighborhoods," has been featured on Readi
More about DyAnne DiSalvo-Ryan...
City Green A Castle on Viola Street A Dog Like Jack Grandpa's Corner Store Now We Can Have a Wedding