Start by marking “Moonrise: Book Three of the Snowfall Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Moonrise: Book Three of the Snowfall Trilogy

Moonrise: Book Three of the Snowfall Trilogy (Snowfall #3)

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The World is Frozen

Civilization survives in pockets of warmth, most notably in the vast, Mississippi-based Middle Kingdom of North America and in glacier-covered Boston. Boston, where high technology that borders on magic is used to create the "moonrisen," people with the genes of animals. Boston, which looks at the growing strength of Middle Kingdom, united under the bril
Published February 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Moonrise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonrise

Donna
The series got worse instead of better. This one was so bad I couldn't even read it...
Janet
Oct 25, 2012 Janet added it
Shelves: fiction, sff, 2011
I read and enjoyed the first book in the series, Snowfall, so I hunted down the other two. It's been hundreds of years since a change in Jupiter's orbit brings on a massive ice age, and modern civilization collapses. The action takes place in North America, and a variety of regional communities have grown up. I really like all the different societies, and the characters he creates. In the first book, I had some trouble believing that the ecology/economy of the Trappers would work, and became hap ...more
Dystopian
I'm so happy to be finished with this series. I had to make myself finish the last book. The premise and the story aren't bad, but the author or his editor needs a refresher course. Every other page he will use a word and then say "Wonderful warm-time word!" or "Perfect copybook phrase!" It was extremely tedious and bordered on ridiculous. I could see it if he had one character who said that a lot, was fascinated by people using rare words or something, but it's EVERY character. Also, every sing ...more
Eric
Bajazet, adopted son of Sam Monroe, goes on a quest to make Boston pay for the murder of his brother and friends. As with book 2 of the Snowfall trilogy, the protagonist was a baby born in the previous volume.

Solid, but not as good as the first two in the series. The creatures of Boston feel lazy compared to books 1 and 2; now they're just human-animal hybrids instead of monstrous creations designed for a specific purpose.

This is more of an (occasionally dull) road trip, after the frantic flight
William Gerke
A fitting close to Smith's Snowfall series. All set in the same world with crossover of some characters, each book had a different tone. Moonrise follows the son of a fallen conqueror, adopted son of the River King, and what he does when his old life is shut away. A tale of revenge, sacrifice, horror, love, and true humanity told in Smith's characteristic immersive style.

These three are his only fantasies, and I'm very curious to read his other stuff (which appears to be mostly crime fiction).
Terry
3rd book in the Snowfall Trilogy set in a premature future Ice Age brought about by alterations in the orbit of Jupiter after several major comet impacts which in turn altered the Earth's orbit or declination to the degree that a new Ice Age was created in mere decades; thus wiping out modern civilization and leaving the survivors with meager remnants of basic technology.
Cynthisa
Conclusion to the Snowfall Trilogy. Prince Baj, the third generation crosses the east coast to take on Boston. Limp 'coming of age' sort of tale. Kinda dull - no real reason to care about Baj. Just a long, dull road trip mostly.
Brandon Steven
Brandon Steven marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Bettina  G. May
Bettina G. May marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
MelMel
MelMel marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Michael J
Michael J marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Daniel Vassily
Daniel Vassily marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Evan
Evan added it
Jul 02, 2014
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jun 02, 2014
Robert Heger
Robert Heger marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
James
James added it
Apr 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Snowfall: Book One of the Snowfall Trilogy Stone City Kingdom River: Book Two of the Snowfall Trilogy Karma Due North