Start by marking “Sinbad's Seven Voyages” as Want to Read:
Sinbad's Seven Voyages

Sinbad's Seven Voyages

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The following text has been drawn from Sir Richard Burton's exhaustive translation of "The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night," more commonly known as "The Arabian Nights." The story of "The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor" tells the tale of Sinbad who ventures out to sea, at first to acquire wealth, but afterwards in search of adventure. During these voyages he en ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Sinbad's Seven Voyages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinbad's Seven Voyages

Phoebe
A great way to introduce these stories to kids who can listen to a longer book. Quentin Blake's lively illustrations and John Yeoman's retellings (the two also teamed up for the great Mouse Trouble, one of the funniest picture books around) are a perfect match and the large format is gorgeous. Very nicely done.
Anugrah Nagaich
Read when I was still young, this story (better than Gulliver's Travels) has the potential for making kids more interested for fiction. Although elders won't enjoy it, but gift this to kids & they'll remember you for a long time.
Cheryl
Retelling. Pretty watercolor illustrations sprinkled throughout the book.
Coenraad
A lovely addition to the Penguin 60s set: slightly older and stylishly elegant translations of these stories that one assumes are familiar until one reads them and discovers what they actually contain. If read in one go, like I did, they become too similar; one should show self-discipline and read one per day, as they were told. Timeless narratives.

Hierdie stel verhale omtrent Sindbad se seereise is tydlose stories. Lees hulle egter een per dag, soos hulle vertel is, om die eenselwigheid te verd
Debbie
This is a book of short stories telling the tale of the 7 voyages of sinbad the sailor. Each voyage is a separate story of between 10-15 pages wth illustration and begins with Sinbad retelling his adventures to friends. This format worked well as a bedtime story as I was able to read one voyage at a time. The perils are a little scary for under 7's and there is alot of death. I found them short enough to hold my kids interest but for me they were too hurried. I never want to set sail from Basra, ...more
E.  Talamante
A wonderful retelling of a classic story, complete with illustrations. This retelling is complete, and teaches the lessons of perseverance, honesty, dedication, and the true wealth in life. Sinbad the Sailor, through his stories, teaches these lessons, as well as the lesson of being content with what you have in life to Sinbad the Porter, a man that he encounters outside his house one day. Lessons that are as import for children, as well as adults.
Marie
The Seven Voyages of Sinbad is a collection of stories taken from the classic, One Thousand and One Nights. Follow Sinbad on his seven adventures at sea where he will face a sea servant, monstrous birds, a Cyclops, tempests, and numerous shipwrecks.
Randy Daugherty
This of course was a quick and entertaining read.
A young beggar is invited inside a wonderful mansion. Thinking he is inside some kings palace he finds himself in fron of Sinbad the Sailor, who proceeds to tell him his tale.
Amber
I like the part when it was just one proson that fight for its life.that it was oniy one proson to save there life was the one that made them to the next move and that was the proson that made it thew the big war.
Rebecca Sharp
This is a graphic novel centered around seven vignettes following the sailor, Sinbad. Over the course of his adventures, Sinbad encounters terrifying monsters and glorious treasures with his inept crew.
Tom
Great book - Abigail Loved it! She wants me to either dig out one of my versions of the Arabian Nights tomorrow or start on The Jungle Book. We'll see what happens.
Vika
Entertaining little stories. But what I don't understand is WHY did he go out into the sea SEVEN times, if every time, everyone on the ship died and he barely escaped?!
The illustrations and the story didn't seem to go together well. I love the illustrator's work in other books, but here there was a mismatch.
Nashwa
OOOOOh my god i was so young ..when my mom started to read that book to me.. it was on fave book that time
Aaron
A nice retelling of Sinbad's seven voyages.
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Pelica
Pelica added it
Jan 18, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
John Winston
John Winston marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Katelyn
Katelyn marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
  • Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa
  • His Majesty, Queen Hatshepsut
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The Black Monk
  • The Red Shoes
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • Greek Myths for Young Children
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • The Berenstain Bears And The Baby Chipmunk
  • Those Dreadful Children
  • Muhammad
  • All-New Ghost Rider, Vol. 1: Engines of Vengeance
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aztec Sacrifice!: Gruesome Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • Son of Charlemagne
  • Rumpole and the younger generation (Penguin 60s)
  • Hide and Seek: with Lovable, Furry Old Grover
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Quran