Fire Dragon

Fire Dragon

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In an exotic and magical land, Shuibai, a lowly bucket-maker, is appointed Fire Warden. He surprises and annoys everyone by taking his job seriously. Yet as he attempts to keep his city safe from fire, he finds his own life in peril as he stumbles across dangerous secrets.

Mysterious foes are smuggling illegal guns into his city, and they will stop at nothing, not even ars...more
Paperback, First, 340 pages
Published 2012 by Keibooks

To ask other readers questions about Fire Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Dragon

Meghan (mm_reads)
Overall review: This was a very enjoyable read and a great story. Whether completely historically accurate or not, the author did a fantastic job of creating an authentic-feeling atmosphere.

First, I want to thank the author, M. Kei, for giving me a copy of the book to review. I just finished this a couple of days ago. I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of historical accuracy or if it would be a superficial story, etc. I had read Pirates of the Narrow Seas 1 : The Sallee Rovers a while ago an...more
LenaLena
Kei is known as the author of the gay pirate series Pirates of the Narrow Seas, which I have not read. This particular book ended up as an Amazon Prime loan on my kindle, the blurb sounded interesting, so I went for it, having no expectations at all. So it feels kind of weird to be saying that the book didn’t quite meet my expectations, but there you have it.

The book is a Fantasy in an oriental setting, mostly medieval, but with guns. There are rigid castes in this matriarchal society, with the...more
Andune
3.5 Stars for Fire Dragon

Fire Dragon begins with the story of Shubai, an untouchable who has decided to become a bucket maker in the hopes that the new fire security measures of the city, which decree that every household must have a minimum of three buckets of water available to fight fires, will bring him some prosperity. Shubai does not count, however, on meeting the Fire Lord himself, who makes Shubai Fire Warden of the poor area of Low Marsh. And here Shubai’s adventures begin.

The novel fol...more
SueM
A very good M/M fantasy romance novel revolving around Shubai, a bucket maker who is rather unexpectedly appointed as Fire Warden to his district of Low Marsh.

In a matriarchal society, Shubai is a lowly leather worker who, upon hearing of the Golden Emperor's new Fire Edict, risks everything he has to turn his leather into the strong buckets every dwelling now needs. Unfortunately for him, most are content to ignore the new edict, and it seems his risk is going to be his ruin. However, his well...more
Yancy Carpentier
Unlike any other! As an enthusiastic reader of M. Kei’s tanka poetry and “Pirates of the Narrow Seas,” I was eager to explore his newest, “Fire Dragon.” The world he has created is beautifully drawn and fanciful, often illustrating the poetry in nature. There is courtly intrigue, and yet “Fire Dragon” is a peasant’s tale. In a time when Spirits rule over humanity, taran rule over commoners, and women rule over men, Shuibai ‘the untouchable’ dares to evolve – empowered by the challenges confronti...more
Michele
This story takes place in a mythical time, but the way M. Kei describes the village(s), the traditions, and each of the players is in a way that makes them very real, and not too fantastical for belief. Shuibai is a poor, simple man who grows not only to stand up to those who need standing up to, but discovers love and honor, as well as his place in his world. A fantastically written tale that I read in one sitting.
Nikki
This is one wonderfully crafted fantasy, inspired by ancient Chinese culture and a little folklore. It is amazingly well written with colorful and detailed descriptions which brings this rich fantasy realm alive in my head. Such vivid and colorful characters. Shuibai, an untouchable of the lowest caste in his society is immensely likable. I was completely engrossed in the growth of this character, from an impoverished, ignorant and uneducated peasant of the lowest caste to a responsible and resp...more
James
I have enjoyed this author's other books in his 'Pirates of the Narrow Seas' series. This book, alas, contained a little too much fantasy for my taste, and is somewhat difficult to categorize.

The tale is set in some mythical kingdom where women dominate, with a hybrid social structure that resembles feudal Japan, while being ruled by human Avatars of mystical forces. The main character is a low-caste leather worker who improbably and suddenly finds himself appointed fire warden for his town by...more
Nan Hawthorne
I had the good fortune to read this book while it was in one of its last edits and found it engaging and unique. I studied archetypes in literature in school and this novel is rich not just with those elemental (no pun intended) fixtures but actually challenging the most familiar. It is exciting, romantic, and mysterious. it is a look into a different sort of world than you are likely to find again any time soon.

Nan Hawthorne
Editor, Our Story: GLBTQ historical Fiction
GLBT Bookshelf www.glbtbooks...more
Kiki
2.5 This had a good start, but I lost interest as it went along. Mainly because of the low level of emotional interest ... I believed in the character's passion for firefighting much more than in any passion in the lackuster romance.
Dominogrymm
Dominogrymm marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Karyta
Karyta marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jeri
Jeri added it
Aug 13, 2014
Alys
Alys marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Lillian
Lillian marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Jadaainla
Jadaainla marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Kasey H.
Kasey H. marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Faymay
Faymay marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
R.
R. marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Shinn
Shinn marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Silke
Silke marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Cassbillingy
Cassbillingy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Carissa
Carissa marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
2041855
M. Kei is a tall ship sailor and award-winning poet. He lives on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay and apprenticed aboard a skipjack, a sail-powered oyster dredge. He now serves with a fully rigged ship. His publications include over 1200 tanka poems in six languages and ten countries. He is the editor-in-chief of the anthology series, Take Five : Best Contemporary Tanka, and the author of S...more
More about M. Kei...
The Sallee Rovers (Pirates of the Narrow Seas, #1) Men of Honor (Pirates of the Narrow Seas, #2) Iron Men (Pirates of the Narrow Seas, #3) Heart of Oak (Pirates of the Narrow Seas, #4) Take Five: Best Contemporary Tanka, Volume 4