There's Jews in Texas?

There's Jews in Texas?

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Paperback, First, 28 pages
Published December 17th 2011 by Poetica Publishing Co.

To ask other readers questions about There's Jews in Texas?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's Jews in Texas?

Maus, I by Art SpiegelmanMaus, II by Art SpiegelmanThe Chosen by Chaim PotokMy Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim PotokThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
Best Jewish Books
23rd out of 105 books — 36 voters
Born to Kvetch by Michael WexAdirondack Mendel's Aufruf by Sandor SchumanThe Jewolic by Ritch GaitiThe Jewish Daughter Diaries by Rachel AmentSisteria by Sue Margolis
Best Humorous Jewish Books
2nd out of 9 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Debbie
After moving to Texas 2 years ago, I found myself mostly in the company of devout, mostly Evangelical, Christians. There's nothing wrong with that, and they're a fine bunch of ladies, some of whom have become close friends. But a part of me was lonely. Then I came across Debra's book. Although she was raised in a far more observant family than I, I saw myself and my life in everything she wrote. I laughed, I cried, and don't feel quite so lonely anymore.
Constance  Scharff
Introspective and witty, Debra Winegarten's "There's Jews in Texas?" will make you laugh and cry. Her poems gracefully capture the awkwardness and difficulty of growing up as an outsider in a sometimes unfriendly place and the triumphs of being comfortable in one's own identity despite the pressures of cultural norms. The innocence that comes through in each of these works will warm your heart. Definitely a "good read."
April
I'm fortunate enough to know Debra, but even if I didn't, my review would be the same. These poems are so powerful and beautiful. You can easily read the book in a single sitting, but you'll want to reread it and pull out quotes to savor for later. I can't wait for the next book!
Benjamin Eakin
Wonderful little book. Winegarten is able in just a few words to convey a tremendous amount of reading. Well worth the read and the reread.
Antimidas
First, let me explain that I am not the best person to rate poetry. I am rather picky. I like my poetry as written by James Whitcomb Riley, Robert Frost, and the like - rhymes, meter, couplets, etc. Perhaps this would read more poetically if it were spoke so that I could get the intended metering. I am by no means a connoisseur, but to me this reads more as a brief journal - a minor insight into the author that leaves me wanting more.

It is not that the poems are bad. It is that they sound like g...more
Gretchen
When I read this collection of poetry I felt like someone handed me a shoebox with a handful of old photos inside. Each poem is like a snapshot into the life of author. You don't get a full biography from the poems, just a few clues about who she is. I really enjoyed the book and hope she plans more.
Cheryl
Beautifully written little collection of poems, devoured it in less than an hour.
Erika Dreifus
Lovely tribute to the author's childhood, and to her mother.
Sharyn Settem-spradlin
Sharyn Settem-spradlin marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Mary Yau
Mary Yau marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Layla
Layla marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Carl Webb
Carl Webb marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Laurel Narizny
Laurel Narizny marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Petunia
Petunia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Wenche
Wenche added it
Oct 14, 2012
Debra is an award-winning poet and author. She teaches sociology at a small university in Austin, Texas. By night, she writes biographies of Texas women for middle school students.
More about Debra L. Winegarten...
Katherine Stinson: The Flying Schoolgirl Oveta Culp Hobby: Colonel, Cabinet Member, Philanthropist There's Jews in Texas Where Jewish Grandmothers Come From Mum's the Word: A Tribute to Ruthe Winegarten