Start by marking “Divine Clementine” as Want to Read:
Divine Clementine

Divine Clementine

I blow her a kiss. She catches it and puts it in her pocket for later like she always does.

And then it happens.

Why doesn't she look? Why doesn't the bus brake?
Why is my body frozen?

When 16-and-a-half-year-old Clementine Footner witnesses the tragic death of her eccentric aunt Stella, she feels as thought her world will never be the same again.

Clementine idolised her
Published by Random House (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Divine Clementine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divine Clementine

Korene
Apr 29, 2013 Korene rated it did not like it
Divine Clementine was not amongst the better books I have read of late. As it was a book club choice I felt compelled to finish it.

Within the first five pages of this book Clementine had witnessed her favourite Aunty Stella being brutally crushed by a bus- cheerful!. The remainder of the novel is Clem's passage through her grief and the discovery that her adored Stella was both unstable and suffering from bipolar.

This subject matter had the capacity to be both compelling and profound but was ru
Carrie
Oct 23, 2012 Carrie rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Struggling to get into this.
By the premise, I thought it would be right up my alley. About a girl whose aunt dies suddenly and tragically, and she discovers along the way about her aunt's depression. I've been through something very, very similar recently. Like, identical almost. And maybe that's why I can't get into this book. I'm expecting to read about my journey, but I'm not.
I find the protagonist, Clementine, incredibly frustrating to read. Her uncle Dorian is right - she is a spoilt brat a
Marie Carlino
Jan 02, 2013 Marie Carlino rated it liked it
A really good look at what it is like to deal with the death of a loved one, even more so when you discover secrets about them after they have gone.

Clementine has lost a relative who she was close to, worse than that she was there when the accident happened. As she deals with this pain and the nightmares it brings she also has to contend with the fact that she is mourning a person that she didn't really exist in the way Clementine though she did.

A realistic look at how teens deal with grief an
Bree T
Clementine is 16 and has always shared a special relationship with her aunt Stella, her mother’s younger sister. Stella is only 10 years older than Clementine, a free spirit and someone who understands her. When Clementine is not getting along with her mother, it is Stella she turns to for sympathy.

When Clementine witnesses Stella’s tragic death, her whole world falls apart. Her grief is all encompassing, the loss of her idol making her feel as though the world will never be the same again. When
Michelle
Jul 25, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
Divine Clementine is a story about a teenage girl Clementine whose eccentric Aunt dies suddenly and how Clementine and her family deals with the death, loss and grief.

Clementine is your typical teenager until her Aunt Stella who she idolises and looks up to dies in an accident. The story then uncovers the truth about the fun loving free spirited Aunt that Clementine thought she knew to the depressed anxious unstable person the rest of the family knew her to be. Clementine was unaware how much h
Paula  Phillips
Sep 05, 2014 Paula Phillips rated it it was amazing
Growing up Clementine has always wanted to be just like her Aunt Stella. To Clementine, who is only ten years younger than Stella has always thought of her as a big sister and her closest confidante. One night after spending the day together , Stella and Clementine head off to go their separate way when tragedy occurs and Stella steps out and in front of a bus. Over the next course of the week or more we read as Clementine known to her friends as Clem learns to grieve and move on with a life wit ...more
Heather
Jul 01, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
This is a great read and deals with mental illness, grief, loss and growing-up. Although Clementine annoys and frustrates me at times with her verbal cruelty towards her mother, Theo and Thom, I like her sarcastic inner monologues, her feisty attitude and the deep love she shows towards her young cousin. I also empathised with the confusion and pain Clementine feels over her beloved aunt's horrific death and the secrets she discovers after reading her aunt's diaries. Clementine's mum, her young ...more
Trisha
Jun 08, 2012 Trisha rated it really liked it
This is about my 10th book this year involving death and grief. I am becoming immune to them.

But Clementine stands out as a main character: Her interior monologue is dark yes, but it's also funny and feisty. She is angry and hostile and is cruel and unrelenting while she acts out, but there is so much pain expressed, we can't help for want her to find peace.

Interesting book. I will think on it some more.
Zara Aveiro
Jul 12, 2015 Zara Aveiro rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Hayley S. Kirk done an excellent job with the characterization and writing of this book. I would recommend this book too many people. Who I would not recommend this book to is anyone under the age of 12. This book uses course language (at times, not heavily). But yeah, I really enjoyed this book.
Rose
I really liked this book. I originally picked it up for an english assignment, but ended up reading for fun, very quickly. It's the perfect book to do a assignment on because Clem changes so much in the book. I will definitely read it again. Now i just have to write the assignment!
Rebecca
May 02, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Really good book ^___^ not what I thought it would be about and I enjoyed that and how they approached the themes immensely
Gemma Ellis-Moore
Mar 13, 2014 Gemma Ellis-Moore rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! Very well-written, tugs at the heartstrings a fair bit. I would most definitely recommend this book to anyone! :)
Renee Felsch
Jan 28, 2015 Renee Felsch rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I didn't finish this one because I just couldn't get into the storyline or characters, sorry it's just not my kind of thing..
Joey
Oct 14, 2012 Joey rated it liked it
what a boring book.wtf..
like the main character has issues,she takes ages to get over her aunts death and she loves her aunt too much. like just get over it already
Lilli
Lilli rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Marg
Marg rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Carolyn Saunders
Carolyn Saunders rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Simone Lee
Simone Lee rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2015
Shauna
Shauna rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Sue van der Veer
Sue van der Veer rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Sophie Scott
Sophie Scott rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Jordy
Jordy rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Aly
Aly rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Carlsbg Move
Carlsbg Move rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
E
Oct 26, 2013 E rated it it was amazing
this is the book that got me into reading now I just can't stop
Danae
Danae rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Naomi Excell
Naomi Excell rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Hajeong
Hajeong rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013