Start by marking “Awakening (Tankborn, #2)” as Want to Read:
Awakening (Tankborn, #2)

Awakening (Tankborn #2)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Once a GEN (genetically engineered nonhuman) girl terrified of her first Assignment, Kayla is now a member of the Kinship, a secret organization of GENs, lowborns, and trueborns. Kayla travels on Kinship business, collecting information to further the cause of GEN freedom.

Despite Kayla’s relative freedom, she is still a slave to the trueborn ruling class. She rarely sees t
Published April 9th 2013 by Tu Books, an imprint of Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening

Grace
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures:

Kayla is a GEN, short for Genetically Engineered Nonhuman. The GENs were engineered by the higher classes to do manual labor and are basically cyborg slaves. Kayla has been given the opportunity for a treatment that would dissolve her circuitry and let her pass as a member of a lower caste, but she’s turned it down repeatedly in favor of others who she feels need it more than she does.
Barbara
Tankborn, the first book in this series, set me on fire. I loved the storyline, the concept of a dystopian future where a group of Earth émigrés set up an exacting caste system when they colonize a new planet. The castes begin with Highborn Trueborns at the top, and untouchable Gens (people born in tanks whose DNA has been combined with animal DNA to endow them with certain skets – skill sets) at the bottom. Skin color is an integral part of the system, Highborns have a perfect brown tone. Anyth ...more
Lauren Collister
I still like this world, and I still like the basic premise of these books of just how difficult it is, societally, to break out of a class-based system of oppression. The themes of body and personal autonomy are also important in a book like this, and I appreciate how the author brings these across (even if all the desire in the world for autonomy, in this book, results in people violating that anyway).

However, the main character and the prolonged, endless, self-imposed idiocy about her love i
Melinda
I really enjoyed this book even though it was slow reading at first. I think this book answers the question of what happens after you learn that the life you have and the religion you believed in are all based on a lie. Book Two of the Tankborn trilogy answers that question in part as we continue to follow Kayla in the aftermath of having her world tossed upside down.

Kayla now has something to fight for while trying to figure out her feelings for Devak. What I love the most is that Kayla challe
Tiara
First, I wanted to thank Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an advance reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book picks up some months after the events inTankborn. Kayla is part of an underground movement working toward freeing GENs from the life of oppression. Kayla, along with her lowborn companion, travel from sector to sector retrieving and delivering information for the kinship (a network of trueborn, lowborn, and GENs working together). While Kayl
Amy (Amy's Book Den)
In a world where GENs are treated as less than human, a group of people called the Kinship work together to change this ‘rule.’ It’s the reason Kayla joined their movement, but now she isn’t so sure. The Kinship seems to have lost sight of their goal and Kayla is sick and tired of blindly following rules. But before she can rebel, Kayla will have to deal with a deadly virus, forbidden love, and treachery among the ranks.

Awakening brings double the intrigue, triple the action, more swoon to the
Julie Witt
My Opinion: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

This is the second book in the Tankborn trilogy and since I enjoyed the first book so much, I was really happy when NetGalley approved me for this installment. Where the first book really set the stage for this very unique and interesting dystopian world, this one was primarily about Kayla and what she's going through as she tries to navigate the ins and outs of being a Kinship spy. I think one of the thi
Sallysmurf
Tankborn was one of the first books that I read for review when I started writing for Midnight Reads so I have a soft spot for this series. It’s probably also why it feels as though I have been waiting forever for the sequel to be released.

In the first book in this series Sandler really focussed on the story of Kayla, how her place in the world changes, her budding relationship with Devak and throughout the story we see her develop to become a stronger independent woman by the time the story dra
Lindsey Blake
Haven't read the first in the series so making up ground and I liked the premise of the story - GENs are artificially engineered people born in tanks to do the bidding of the highborns and the lowborns. The society is highly ordered and strictly adhered to but there is an underground movement trying to make things better for the lowest elements. And of course there is a Romeo and Juliet style love affair going on between a high born and a GEN!

I think the first book was probably better - this on
Jessica Strider
Pros: great characters, complex story, multi-racial cast

Cons: Kayla and Devak's waffling with regards to their relationship got a bit irritating, several plot twists were obvious

It's been several months since the events of Tankborn and Kayla misses Devak. He's been avoiding meeting with her and she's not entirely sure why. Her transport job with Risa has kept her from visiting home and though she's done a lot of work for the kinship, transporting information and materials, she's not as sure thei
Rich in Color
Last week in her review of Fragments, Audrey wrote, “Second books in a trilogy are always complicated.” I couldn’t agree more. Middle books often seem to wander a bit merely waiting for the final wrap up in the third. In this case, the first book, Tankborn, left quite a few strings untied and much open for speculation, but this second book raised even more questions and provided very few answers. A completely new storyline is introduced and only a smattering of clues come with it.

Karen Sandler c
MoyJoy
I looooved this sequel and I can't wait for Part 3!!!!

Awakening picks up not too long from where Tankborn leaves off. Where Tankborn really told a lot about the world Kayla lives in, Awakening really tells about the person Kayla (and the rest of the cast) has become.

You really see the characters develop in direct correlation their experiences which is not easy to do in a book.

The mysterious happenings in the book were just wonderful. A real challenge for the reader but not so hard to figure th
Kimberly
This is the second in the Tankborn series and it follows up the first book with the characters trying to find a way to help the GENs and ultimately find freedom for them. It wasn't a bad book but I did find it a bit slow in the middle but it did pick up and get more interesting at the end.
Missie Kay The Book Fix
This second book in the series is just as wonderful in terms of worldbuilding and plot as the first, and improves upon the one major flaw of Tankborn. Watch the full video review here:

Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
I enjoyed this. While not a huge fan of YA, I jump at the opportunity to read a book with a multiethnic cast of characters, and where the protagonist isn't the usual cardboard cut out.
I'm also not a fan of sappy romance, but I do like this one as its more than mere "love" but is intertwined with issues of class and race and sacrifice.
Here we have freedom fighters, mystery and political/social/scientific intrigue and tough choices. These characters are put through the paces, forced to challenge
Annwynbeneaththewaves
Mar 08, 2015 Annwynbeneaththewaves marked it as to-read
Omg??? Science fiction without a white person on the cover??? I'M SOLD MUTHAFUCKA
Miki Garrison
Absolutely loved the first one, Tankborn, but this one was very hit and miss for me.
Shannon Leandry
It was very nice and interesting.
Brichimt
Karen Sandler's book 2 in the Tankborn series about genetically engineered teens called GENS finds them fighting for their freedom from the world they were created in. GENS are slaves to the low and highborns. After waiting for what seemed like a lifetime for the 2nd in the series to come out, I must say I'm a little disappointed.

The rest of this review is on my blog: http://brichislitspot.wordpress.com/2...
Victoria Law
Wow, what a cliffhanger! And now I have to wait for the NEXT book to find out what happens!!!

How oh how to write about this for my Girls of Color in Dystopia blog series without inadvertently spoiling the ending of Tankborn?
Teacher 007.5
Nice second installation to Tankborn. While I did not care for the back and forth between Kayla and Devak, I enjoyed watching her live, learn and grow in her new life, beyond what any trueborn could imagine. The title is definitely fitting for this story! The end left me wanted for a third book :)
Anna
Awakening is definitely the best second book of a trilogy I have ever read. I like it as much as if not more than Tankborn. I was literally speechless when I finished reading and have no idea how I'm going to be able to wait until the third book comes out!
Carla
Plot somewhat predictable. That being said, I am curious about how the author will handle the twists and turns of Kayla and Devak's relationship and the chaos on their world.
Leah
The interesting thing about "Awakening" is that even though the conflict is taking place on a larger scale, the story seems smaller than the story in "Tankborn."
Lavonia Reid
Kind of disappointed in this book.
Amanda
Love this series, hard to put down, well written. Kept me hanging on. The struggle and triumph, such a great story.
Christy
Pretty good! A good follow up to the first book, I really cant wait to read the third!
Christine
Powerful sequel that really makes you think about freedom, humanity and equality.
Tasha
Will you be coming out with an ebook edition of Awakening? Maybe IBooks? Lol
  • Diverse Energies
  • The Life and Times of Martha Washington in the Twenty-First Century
  • Fast-Trapped (Fast-Track Trilogy, #2)
  • Summer of the Mariposas
  • Killer of Enemies
  • Crimson Rising (Skyship Academy #2)
  • Starbreak (Starglass, #2)
  • The System (Virulent, #2)
  • Mirage (Above World, #2)
  • Untitled (Annex, #3)
  • While We Run (When We Wake, #2)
  • Candlewax
  • Inheritance (Adaptation #2)
  • The Life Beyond (The Other Life, #2)
  • The Chaos
  • Echo
  • Ascension (Tangled Axon)
  • Orleans
Karen Sandler published numerous romances for adults in the late '90s and early 2000s, then shifted to young adult science fiction in 2011 with the publication of TANKBORN by Lee and Low/Tu Books. AWAKENING, the second book in the trilogy, is now available. The third book will be released in Spring 2014.

Determined to let no genre stone be left unturned, Karen is also looking forward to the publica
More about Karen Sandler...

Tankborn (3 books)
  • Tankborn (Tankborn, #1)
  • Rebellion (Tankborn, #3)
Tankborn (Tankborn, #1) Rebellion (Tankborn, #3) The Family He Wanted (Fostering Family, #2) (Silhouette Special Edition, #1968) Clean Burn (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #1) Loves Me, Loves Me Not