Start by marking “Crusader (Wayfarer Redemption, #6)” as Want to Read:
Crusader (Wayfarer Redemption, #6)

Crusader (The Wayfarer Redemption #6)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  4,349 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
From epic fantasy author Sara Douglass comes Crusader, The sixth book in The Wayfarer Redemption series

For countless millennia the Star Dance and the TimeKeeper Demons have battled their way across the universe, destroying innumerable planets, laying waste to civilizations across the cosmos.

Choosing the land of Tencendor as their last battleground, the demons break through
Published February 6th 2007 by Tor Fantasy (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Crusader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crusader

Robert
Mar 31, 2008 Robert rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This last installment in the Wayfarer's Redemption series was very weak. The character seemed to be poorly written in comparison to past books. To me, they lost their dynamic natures and became two-dimensional characters that you would expect more out of the villains or side characters, not the main protagonists. For example, Dragonstar comes back to Sanctuary and in the course of a single chapter he, Azure, and Axis are all friends on good terms, despite 40 years of brewing hatred between them. ...more
Donna
Dec 07, 2008 Donna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Recommended to Donna by: my sister, Dionne
A poor conclusion to a mediocre trilogy, and not wholy worth further comment.
Christopher
Mar 10, 2013 Christopher rated it did not like it
Meh.

I started reading this series several years ago because my then fiancee adored the original trilogy. I wished I had read all of the books before marrying her, I would have known earlier to run away.

This is a series about incest, rape, and people with a martyr complex. The underlying theme is that people can spontaneously change personality at different points in a story for the sake of the plot, and as a reader you're not supposed to question the changes. I'm just glad that I never personall
Susan
Aug 08, 2010 Susan rated it it was ok
Blech. I read it so I'd know what happened, but it was hardly worth it. Over and over I felt like the author created magic that could just happen to do whatever the plot needed. I'd give some examples, but she usually pulled these devices out to resolve some big crisis and to tell you would mean a whole review of spoilers.

It just didn't work for me.
Jacinta Hoare
Feb 10, 2009 Jacinta Hoare rated it it was ok
A frustrating way to end an excellent series. The paperback version was thrown from one end of the room to the other in disgust.
Jenn
Aug 31, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it
I was a tad irritated that I had to rush to finish this book in one day since it's due back at the library tomorrow.

overall great book. I have loved this series and loved watching the characters develop. I have to say that the original characters though have gotten quite annoying in these latter books. The one character who got on my last nerve is Faraday. She always seems to be whining and so indecisive. In a way can't blame her considering her past.

It was nice to see Dragonstar (drago) final
tim cooper
Apr 30, 2008 tim cooper rated it liked it
The book gets high marks for finishing the 6 book saga. It started so strong and then fizzled in the end. Books 4 and 5 took me forever to read almost swearing me off of reading all together, and finally this book ended it. I won't let that happen again, no more long boring fantasy trash. Sorry to the fans, this was just way to over the top.
Psych_Panda
Jan 01, 2012 Psych_Panda rated it liked it
Shelves: magic, epic-fantasy
I liked these, but not a lot. The ending of the series was just "meh" and I could do without trying to tie in real world / Christianity stuff. Definitely a cool universe with some interesting characters. But that said, I would probably never re-read these.
Sarah Thompson
Feb 12, 2017 Sarah Thompson rated it it was amazing
After originally starting this series (Battle Axe) back in high school (more than 10 years ago), I can say I was extremely caught off guard with the progression of the second trilogy, especially with the ending of this book. Almost has a 'Lost'-esque type ending. I'm curious if the ending will be explained more in the stand alone novels and third trilogy. Just have to wait and see. Still love this series, my fave fantasy series of all time.
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Jan 10, 2012 Jessi (Novel Heartbeat) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, 5-star

I enjoyed re-reading this series so, SO much, and I'm sad that it has to come to an end! I'd forgotten how easy it was to be consumed by this world. It's so unique and complex! Sara Douglass has truly created a world like no other, and perhaps that's why this series stuck with me after 10 long years. I know it will stick with me for years to come, as well!

Holy crap, there's so much death in this book! I know it leads to rebirth...but STILL. It was really hard to watch all of the characters I lo
Beaulah Pragg
Apr 19, 2012 Beaulah Pragg rated it liked it
And so closes the story of Tencendor, begun in 'BattleAxe' Trilogy and continuing into the Wayfarer Redemption, Sara Douglass managed to fill six books with an epic, twisting tale that introduced and made me care about many different characters and their intertwining lives, all pummeling toward an inevitable show down and an even more inevitable conclusion - I always knew how this story would end (I had the unfortunate privilage of having read the Darkglass Mountain books before these), but I st ...more
Katie
Oct 01, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
This series was long and at times extremely painful. Many of the characters are completely unlikable, the magic inconsistently powerful and at times just downright silly/nonsensical. On the whole though, some parts of the series were really good and it all ties together (mostly) at the end.

The ending is weird. It's not the happy ending you expect, but it is a happy ending.

I don't think I'd recommend this series to anyone. It's just long and frustrating and when you get to the end it kind of red
Cynthia Peters
Aug 03, 2015 Cynthia Peters rated it liked it
All the loose ends were tied up, but I felt that this series had a lot more potential in the first three books than the last three, especially this one. There were way too many powers at work in this book to my liking. Then, there was the inclusion of an over-power in Tencendor and not on the other continent of that planet that left me wondering if there is a whole different spread of higher powers over there. This was just so strange to me. There also was a lot of throwing in of strange magics ...more
Jeff Young
Jan 21, 2010 Jeff Young rated it it was ok
While I will continue to recommend the first trilogy, in good faith to the buyer I will not be able to do this for the second. What starts as a well grounded fantasy that has unique points to offer itself to the reader in the first three books decays into a mixture of SF & F elements that goes beyond reasonably challenging the reader's ability to suspend disbelief. The SF elements never truly feel justified in their inclusion, the use of Earth was never really necessary, and the idea that yo ...more
Andrea Pierce
Nov 29, 2015 Andrea Pierce rated it liked it
Like so many other people, I feel like this was a weak ending. It was pretty strange, it felt unfinished, and some things didn't even make sense. I will say it kept me on the edge of my seat, and I flew threw it, but now that it's over I'm not sure what to think.

On the whole I enjoyed this series, but there were some pretty major flaws as well throughout. The characters bothered me in all of the books: a lot of the time they seemed really static, and with a f-ed up sense of morality and ethics.
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
The final battle between Qeteb and DragonStar is approaching but first several tasks remain. StarLaughter dreams of being reunited with WolfStar in love and marriage despite her previous thoughts of revenge with the Hawkchildren. She has a plan to make WolfStar love her again. WolfStar seeks to use Zenith against DragonStar. StarDrifter only wants to love Zenith but she cannot move past StarDrifter being her grandfather inspite of loving him so. Axis feels useless in a world bereft of the StarDa ...more
D.E. Wyatt
Oct 21, 2013 D.E. Wyatt rated it liked it
Jeanne
Jan 09, 2009 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So what do I do what do I do here. Umm I prefered the first set of three with this series. I was a bit disappointed with these last three, so should I drop the first three to 4 stars and then drop these to 3 stars?

When I began with Wayfarer Redemption, I fell in love with this author and couldn't wait to read all of her books. After the final 3 books with this series, I just don't know what went wrong. I don't know if the characters were too inconsistent for me or what, but I am not as eager to
Patrick Bättig
Feb 16, 2015 Patrick Bättig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ein Feuerwerk phantastischer Einfälle und dramatischer Fügungen erwartet die Leser in der Saga von Faraday, Aschure und Axis. Tödliche Gefahr droht ihnen durch Gorgrael und seine Henkersknechte. Faraday gar wird entführt und grausam mißhandelt. Rettung kann nur das Regenbogenzepter bringen. Doch – wann erscheint es, um den Zerstörer zu stellen und in seinem Eispalast zu zermalmen? Wann erlösen die alten Götter die drei Auserwählten und führen wieder wie einst ein weises Regiment? Mit dem dramati ...more
Rebecca
Sep 18, 2010 Rebecca rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own
What the duece happened to Sara Douglass when she was writing this book? Compared to the previous 2 books and the Axis trilogy this was weak. It seems as though Douglass had no idea how to get out of the complicated plot that she had created and so she decided to put an end to everything using 'the power of love'. So very dissapointing. Also not beleivable were the numerous grudges set aside by the characters and the rampant stupidity displayed by some. Not worth reading and very very dissapoint ...more
Anastasia
Jan 22, 2014 Anastasia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 1940-1999
Not a great finale. While the previous two books were almost good, this didn't even live up to that weak standard.

Everything was so obviously done; there wasn't one genuine surprise or twist in the plot. Not only that, but the characters are (still) wholly unlikable and flat. In fact, Faraday went from being one of my favorites in book #1 to being one of my least favorites. Suck it up, girl!

Also, does anyone else find the romance pairings in this series to be slightly creepy?
Brenda
May 17, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This series is very good, but intense and dark. If you start it be ready to read a lot of material that can become very depressing. But, the writing is so good the reader falls in love with this alternate world with is different races, religions, and magics. I loved it, but I had to space out reading each book so I did go into a bad place in my head due to the graphic violence to women (sorry for the spoiler).
Christopher
Aug 10, 2008 Christopher rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Deep fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy
I can no say I have finally finished the second trilogy of the Wayfarer Redemption. By now those of you reading this have already entered the trap that is the second trilogy. Nothing like the first, it takes you 'one step beyond.'

I should have stopped at book 3, happy endings, a good round story, etc.

~Chris
Jamie Landa
Mar 25, 2014 Jamie Landa rated it did not like it
The last book was awful, I knew from the beginning that these books might be a bad idea due to the horribly written "prophecy" on the first page of the first book, but I kept reading, and I got curious... It was sort of like a train wreck really. :(
Don't bother... You'll only be frustrated in the end.
Mindy
Nov 18, 2008 Mindy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
She wrapped the story up nicely, but I feel like her resolution was something of a cop out and at least one of the things that happens at the end makes no sense at all. It's like a very concrete story suddenly enters a mythological/symbolic space that is disorienting and slightly unsatisfying. I wouldn't have ended it that way.
Chris Pacheco
May 09, 2013 Chris Pacheco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sara Douglass must've been one spiteful bitch writing this last Tencendor book. If I was one of those people who happen to get seriously angry when a book doesn't go their way, then I would probably stay away from this trilogy all together. I on the otherhand love that S.D. seriously fucks up Tencendor's day and its pretty awesome.
Austin McConnell
Jan 11, 2012 Austin McConnell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Utter rubbish. I'm truly surprised that I didn't throw away this book without finishing it long ago. The only good thing that comes with the ending is now I'm free to start a better series. Fortunately, almost any random series I pick off the shelf qualifies
Heather McCorkle
Oct 02, 2010 Heather McCorkle rated it liked it
One of the elements in the end of this fantastic series did not settle well with me. If you've read it you probably know what I'm talking about! Overall, that element aside, it was a remarkable series.
Caroline
Sep 13, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it
Great book with creative resolutions to some of the challenges. I felt like some of the rules were altered once it came to the challenges with the Demons after the Lake of Life. The epilogue left me feeling a bit flat. Still overall a wonderful series.
Lydia Presley
Oct 06, 2009 Lydia Presley rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I enjoyed this ending to the second trilogy. It was satisfying and hopeful - and made me laugh out loud several times (especially at the thought of the Butler and his trial). Gory and gross - yes, but a worthwhile read.
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • Revenge (Trinity, #2)
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • An Echo in Time: Atlantis (The Ancient Future, #2)
  • Fallowblade (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #4)
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular fantas ...more
More about Sara Douglass...

The Wayfarer Redemption (6 books)
  • The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1)
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3)
  • Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
  • Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)