Start by marking “The Drought” as Want to Read:
The Drought

Read Book

The Drought

Welcome to Junction, Texas Population: 626 and steadily declining Odd things have been happening around town. Hugh McManus went out to one of his grazing pastures and shot the better part of a fine herd before shooting himself. Luke Casteel crawled into a drainage pipe and never came back. A herd of wild javelina attacked and killed Rod Sawyer. And the thing is, the dying ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by CreateSpace (first published December 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Drought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Drought

Lizzy Lessard
Oct 18, 2014 Lizzy Lessard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, horror, giveaway
Like Stephen King, Patricia Fulton creates not merely a story, she creates a world in her book. King uses Maine as the blueprint to his stories, while Fulton uses the rain-starved South. She bounces from townfolks to townsfolk to capture the full impact of the horror that this drought and the mysterious happenings that have plagued these two towns.

Yes, two towns. I typically skip reading Chapter titles and subtext, so it wasn’t until seven or eight chapters in that I realized that half the chara
David Caldwell
I won a copy on Goodreads Firstreads.

It all starts with the heatwave and massive drought.As the temperature climbs, bizarre events start to occur in the towns of Junction,Texas and Reserve,Louisana.Animals go missing,people start acting crazy and people start to go missing and dying.People from both towns try to uncover what is really happening only to drawn deeper into the mystery that links the two towns.

Horror has a couple of hurdles to overcome.First, the author has to contibue growing suspe
Rebecca McNutt
Echoing themes of Eerie Indiana, Children of the Corn and Under the Dome, this book features a small town where the supernatural is driving all the residents insane. It got a little weird and confusing at times, but overall it was a pretty good book.
Suzannesky1
Jun 21, 2012 Suzannesky1 rated it it was amazing
Ohmygosh! This book starts off fast, getting right into the excitment, action, mystery and intrigue. The book is crammed full of tense, brooding moments. What a story it is - layers upon layers of richness. Parts of it are very reminescent of Stephen King's way of writing. The characters were many and were all drawn so well. I could not put this book down for long, even snatching minutes here and there from a really busy two days. I'll definately be watching for Patricia Fulton's books in the fu ...more
Royal
Jun 29, 2012 Royal rated it it was amazing
This is a book that is written to keep you turning the pages. You keep wondering what can happen to Jar, next, but he always manages to come out on top. When he goes from Junction, TX to Reserve, LA. It looks like that is the end of the road, especially with all the VooDoo that is going on out in the swamp.
Anne
Jun 22, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: firstreads
I won this book through goodreads, firstreads. I read this book very quickly. Almost every chapter left you with a cliffhanger as the author went back and forth to the different characters, finally bringing it all together in the end. I would highly recommend this book!
Joni
Jul 30, 2012 Joni rated it really liked it
Shelves: texas-setting, 2012
This is sitting on my TBR shelf and I think it might be perfect for the July 4th week!

Finished -- Once I started I couldn't put it down and then I couldn't sleep.
Scott Whitmore
Sep 17, 2012 Scott Whitmore rated it it was amazing
An engrossing, thrilling and immensely satisfying debut novel that strongly reminded me of the best of Stephen King. If you get this book, and I highly recommend you do, expect to be pulled deeply into the deep and twisting story about good and evil from the first paragraph.

The temperatures are hot and getting hotter, and there's no sign of rain in Junction, Texas. Many of the old-timers have experienced conditions like this before, and they know what's coming. A rancher kills his best livestoc
CJ
Nov 12, 2014 CJ rated it it was amazing
Jared Riley knows something is wrong in his hometown of Junction, Texas. His mother's headaches are getting worse, one of his good friends disappeared down a drainpipe, and the temperature seems to have taken on a mind of its own, bent on destroying the town and everyone in it. People are losing their minds, and strange things are happening. It's up to a small group of concerned citizens to figure out what's happening and try to stop it before it's too late.

I liked this book a lot. The character
Jorgen Schäfer
Mar 18, 2013 Jorgen Schäfer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
In the ghost story The Draught by Patricia Faulton, an oppressive heat builds up around the town of Junction, Texas. The draught stretches on and on, and slowly, people start to go crazy. A farmer kills all his cattle and then himself. And finally, a boy crawls into a drainage shaft and is not found anymore. The heat seems intent on leaving only after everyone in the down is dead.

I’m usually not a big fan of ghost stories, but this one is really, really well written. The supernatural in the book
Russ
Dec 04, 2012 Russ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel, mystery, 2012, horror
Really amazing writing that keeps you wanting more and more. When I thought the book was reaching a climax, I realized I was only halfway through. The author just kept building and building the action, dropping secrets and upping the stakes each and every chapter.

The descriptions are very vivid, so much that you can almost feel the heat and taste the sand. I thought most of the characters were well-written, too.

If you are looking for an intense, gripping, exciting book that will surprise you a
Carole
Aug 03, 2012 Carole rated it it was amazing
this book is a page turner! it keeps you on your toes, forever wanting to read, "just one more page", into the wee hours of the night! (although you may want to read this book in the daylight hours!)

it has a great story line that is suspenseful, scary and riveting.

the book has a great cast of characters that the reader cares about and wants to follow. the author describes the characters beautifully and realistically, and some are definitely more likeable than others! i felt i really knew the cha
Gail Ritter
Sep 28, 2012 Gail Ritter rated it it was amazing
Is it a gypsy curse? Is it Voodoo? The road to finding out what is going on is very entertaining. The two juxaposed small towns, and their residents are exquisitely drawn; the reader knows who even the most minor characters are. I especially liked how there were multiple story threads slowly being drawn together to converge at the end. I felt very sad when the book ended; I could have kept on reading more.
Your Common House Bat
This book wasn't quite what I was expecting but it was still a pretty cool read. The last 4o or so pages were quite an adventure really. I really enjoyed how the two towns became so tied into each other and how the baseball--as seemingly small thing--was so crucial. There were a lot of very interesting and unique characters in this novel. Overall I enjoyed the book.
Albert Yates
Mar 30, 2016 Albert Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, storybundle
wasn't sure what to think when I first opened the book and began reading. but the characters Patricia Fulton created in telling her story are captivating and interesting. Beginning with the troubles that Barry had with his father through to the introduction of Voodoo the story was compelling.
Jason Mccue
Apr 04, 2013 Jason Mccue rated it liked it
A very interesting story with a bit of voodoo, black magic, and a lot of heat. Great character development for the main characters. The ending was a bit strange, but it closed out the full story line and sometimes you can't ask for more :)
Roberto
Feb 05, 2013 Roberto rated it it was ok
Clearly inspired by Stephen King, specially "It", including an echo of that part everyone hates/loves.

In fact, if Stephen King was dead, I would suspect this was written during a séance. Not bad though!
Alyse
Oct 28, 2015 Alyse rated it it was amazing
Engrossing. I couldn't put it away! Nice change with a different concept for a story. Looking forward to more from this author!
Teawench
Oct 26, 2012 Teawench rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, nook, fiction
Kimberly
Aug 19, 2012 Kimberly rated it liked it
This is a good book with an interesting story line. I love the tie between the two towns and ancient dark arts. However, my one hang-up was the typos scattered throughout.
Robin Edman
Feb 15, 2013 Robin Edman rated it it was ok
Sadly wanting an editor. I just got hung up on a living person having a "crumbled body." I may not be able to go back and finish this one.
Greg T Robertson
Greg T Robertson rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2012
Tam Preston
Tam Preston rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Nyssa
Nyssa rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Ryan Hood
Ryan Hood rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Kjom
Kjom rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Cyber Killer
Cyber Killer rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2016
  • A Latent Dark
  • Riverwatch
  • Blaze of Glory
  • Resurrection, Inc.
  • Hunting in Hell (De La Roca Chronicles, #1-2)
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • Disciple (Part I)
  • The Duchess of the Shallows (The Grey City #1)
  • Tunnel Vision And Other Stories From The Edge
  • Blood Red Turns Dollar Green
  • The Camelot Papers
  • The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)
  • The Marinara Murders
  • The Hour Before Dark
  • Diary of a Small Fish
  • Dire Means
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • Spirit Walker (Serpent Catch, #1)
Patricia Fulton is a west coast girl with an uncomfortable Midwest sensibility. Surviving southern Los Angeles as a child gave her a tenacity and unique perspective on “normal human behavior” sparking her lifelong fascination with gruesome details and serial killers. After waitressing in a Greek restaurant in Chicago to put herself through University, she emerged with a Bachelor Degree in Communic ...more
More about Patricia Fulton...