Start by marking “Planetary, Vol. 2: Il quarto uomo (Planetary, #7-12)” as Want to Read:
Planetary, Vol. 2: Il quarto uomo (Planetary, #7-12)

Planetary, Vol. 2: Il quarto uomo (Planetary #2)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  6,511 ratings  ·  109 reviews
QUESTA È PLANETARY

Tre individui fuori dal comune alla ricerca dei misteri che sarebbe meglio restassero tali. Archeologi dell'impossibile, indagatori dei segreti della Terra, esploratori dei confini invisibili di questo pazzo, pazzo pianeta.
Published 2005 by Magic Press (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Planetary, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planetary, Vol. 2

Terry
This volume of Planetary explores, and ultimately reveals, the secret of the mysterious Fourth Man of Planetary and also exposes the breathtaking scope and breadth of the crimes perpetrated by the Four upon the world in the name of their great game.

Issue 7 – “To be in England, in the Summertime”: Planetary attends the funeral of Jack Carter, the man everyone in the occult underworld was afraid of and owed favours to. Cute issue with plenty of nods to Alan Moore and the ‘dark and gritty’ world of
Sam Quixote
"Was that Spider Jerusalem?" was my thought when I saw the ending to the first story. And then the riffs on Hellblazer, Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern... but I'm jumping around. But then that's what Ellis and Cassaday do with this strange series, Planetary, they leap from one story to another, each one seemingly unconnected, with odd glimpses into sci-fi storylines that seem faintly familiar and intriguing.

Readers who made it through the first book hoping for more clarity in the second
arjuna
Everyone keeps telling me how wonderful Planetary is... and I'm sure it *is* wonderful when you have the contextual knowledge to get *everything* that Ellis is playing around with. My comic-universe knowledge so far is sporadic, so my enjoyment of the series (and of course rating) has to reflect that. It's very clear that it's all about the fanlove when you get right down to it. Which is, I think, good: the cleverness and jokes one *doesn't* get *do* prompt one to read widely and figure stuff ou ...more
Julian
This is a review of the full four-volume saga, consisting of Planetary, Volume. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories, Planetary, Volume 2: The Fourth Man, Planetary, Volume 3: Leaving the 20th Century and Planetary, Volume 4: Spacetime Archaeology. I will review the companion volume Planetary: Crossing Worlds elsewhere. I'm doing this because the four books simply don't work independently. Most of book 2 is completely incomprehensible until you read book 3, at which point all the apparently r ...more
Shaun
A just wrote a fairly long review about volume one, so I'll keep this one brief. Or brief-ish.

Basically, a gobbled this volume up a day and half after finishing the first volume. Talk about a second coarse, this one continues to build on the greatness that the first volume had already established. I could talk about how much I love the concept, the characters, Ellis's butcher's blade-sharp dialogue, his wonderful tributes to all things comics, old and new (we're even treated to some of my favori
TJ Shelby
Wow. After being thoroughly underwhelmed by Book One and wondering if people were just being trendy and kissing Warren Ellis' ass...well, that was until I read this book.

Warren Ellis proves he is a healthy dose of Kerouac mixed with Palahniuk. Planetary is a group, "Archaeologists of the Impossible," which reads like a Superheroes X-Files meets The Watchmen. Excellent storytelling by Ellis keeps you on the edge of your seat and, of course, ends on a perfect cliffhanger to leave you eagerly anti
Alejandro
This second tpb of Planetary gives more clues behind the secret history of Planetary, also it has amazing stories combining science fiction and urban legends in a spectacular way. Great scenes, good dialogues, powerful images. Great episodes where you can see how super heroes myths could faced with deadly outcomes. As in the first tpb, it helps a little if you read some of The Authority, here, it helps a bit if you read some of StormWatch. It's not that you had to do it but it doesn't hurt to gi ...more
Richard Guion
Issues 7-12 of Planetary really paid off for the patient reader. A lot of hints were dropped earlier about the past team members, Ambrose Chase and the mysterious Fourth Man. Those mysteries are revealed here. Along the way Ellis devotes an issue to the Vertigo books (with a character similar to John Constantine), an alien invasion, and a Nick Fury like character with nods to Jim Steranko on the cover. You can really see John Cassaday's artwork grow by leaps and bounds with each issue.
Rob
Fun, although I saw the reveal coming from pretty far away. If you liked volume 1 this should be up your alley.

Issue #10 seems to get all the love, but as someone who mostly doesn't give a shit about old school superhero comics, it did basically nothing for me. It isn't bad or anything, but it gets a lot of praise that frankly I don't think it deserves. Top marks in this volume for issue #8 from me instead.
Justinbwood
In this volume, the Planetary series really begins to fulfill its promise. I enjoyed the first book, but my problem with it was that the stories were too passive. Though creative, unique and beautiful, the main characters were really just listening to someone tell them a story. The characters are definitely cool, and with this book, the most fascinating, Elijah Snow, really comes alive.

As I mentioned in my review of the first volume, I love Elijah Snow because he doesn't have all the answers. In
Artur Coelho
Tenho cada vez menos dúvidas que Warren Ellis é um dos mais importantes autores de comics da actualidade. Sempre surpreendente, Ellis canaliza nas pranchas e quadricromias visões que nos remetem para o revivalismo, distopia, fetishismo e tecnofetishismo, teorias de conspiração e futurismo desbragado.

Planetary é uma das suas mais aclamadas séries: três pessoas com poderes discretos, arqueólogos do mistério, vivendo entre as fronteiras das realidades ficcionadas. Mergulhar neste The Fourth Man e
Lloyd
Wow.

What Ellis began in the first book of "Planetary", he digs us in deeper in this one.

The concept of paying tribute to all kinds of things from 100 years of pop culture and wrapping it in a mysterious plot with enigmatic characters, really... It's just amazing.

This volume shows tributes to John Constantine and all of Vertigo, 1950's films, Allison Hayes (born right down the road in Charleston, WV), Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Nick Fury, and Sherlock Holmes, among other things.

The s
Martin
I guess I'm missing some of the appeal. The cover is terrible, the art is hit and miss page-to-page, and the writing is, at times, dismal. The overall plot is OK, but the individual stories are weak. Like the TV show "Lost," the premise only holds up if the reader believes the characters never talk except when in action. When "off camera" they must never discuss anything deeper than the weather and the time of day, or else the entire plot crashes to the ground.
Mike
What Ellis and Cassaday are doing here is questioning fiction, heroes, villains itself. Not doing it in the turgid, cold academic way of Alan Moore, but through a plot filled with action, mystery and layers of deceit and revelation. That is, they're telling a damned good story and having fun with everything they've observed and criticised about comicdom.

Ellis must have a pretty thick notebook filled with little throwaway ideas of new heroes, interesting scenarios - to be littering these books w
Craig
Something I forgot to mention in my review of the first book that collected the series, is that another mystery involved in the series is The Fourth Man. This is the unknown benefactor and head of Planetary.

This book starts with the team going on some exploratory missions, showing some alternate versions of other comic book characters. Then a mission from the recent past which introduces Ambrose Chase, the man Elijah Snow replaced. With the third story, we see artifacts which are versions of Sup
Shelly - The Illustrated Librarian -
I do not wish to include spoilers here, so I will only say that "Planetary," and this volume of collected issues in particular, is an extremely well written jaunt into the arcane.

Somewhat a combination of "X-Files" and "Indiana Jones," Warren Ellis brings the Planetary group to life and reveals "The Fourth Man" in this volume of the graphic novels. The mysterious "Fourth Man" is the head of the Planetary operation. All of the Fourth Man's orders are followed WITHOUT question. Let me tell you, I
Adam Smith
This was a great sophomore volume, but it wasn't as mind blowing as the first. I did guess pretty early who the fourth man was, so had that been a surprise I may have given this five stars. With that being said, I'm still totally enamored with this series and I'm going to dive into the third volume as soon as I can. The classic references to comics are amazing, even if I don't actually catch them all.
Michael Alexander Henke
Introduction by Joss Whedon. The series continues to be great. Some really great individual stories in this volume such as #10: Magic & Loss. While the stories are all pretty much standalone we really get to start seeing the bigger picture. We learn about Elijah Snow's past and a bit more of the history of the Planetary Organization.
Sunil
What continues to impress me about Planetary is the incredibly dense storytelling. Warren Ellis packs a lot into each issue, sometimes by saying a lot and other times by not saying a lot and leaving a huge empty space in between the lines for the reader to fill in the gaps. Each issue expands the universe; it's as if there's no limit to Ellis's imagination. This volume has a couple one-shot adventure stories and a very interesting take on Superman, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman, but what reall ...more
vladimir
Nov 28, 2009 vladimir rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who think they've seen it all in comic books & the hero genre.
Issue #27 finally came out, & I dug up my back issues & read the series from start to finish because I wanted to get a sense of the narrative arc since this tale was 10 YEARS in the making.

The Verdict: this is one of the most brilliant extended storylines I've ever encounters. It will stand the test of time, up there with Watchmen and others of the 'hero' genre.

PLANETARY is ultimately a holographic version of the Arabian Nights; it can be read as hero-noir, pastiche/tribute to the histor
Joseph
Tom
Volume Two, like Volume One, is made up of various stand-alone issues that all add to a unique whole. Introductions being done, the focus now shifts towards the mystery of Planetary's "Fourth Man" and some little things about protagonist Elijah Snow we didn't know before, such as memory loss so good even he didn't know he was forgetting large chunks of his very long life, as well as getting an idea of just how evil The Four actually are.

Of importance to this volume, besides the introduction of t
Nuno Vargas
Oct 08, 2012 Nuno Vargas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic fans
Although I felt the first volume was just a bit better, I still very much enjoyed reading this second volume.
Again, after reading each number I had to go and check a detailed review of it (thank you to the people at http://home.earthlink.net/~rkkman/frames). That's because, with the layers of metaphors and the references to 20th century characters/events which Ellis puts in, I never catch all the subtelties in the story. Once you're aware of the scope of what's being told, you can't help but adm
Tom
This series has become incredibly strong. The mysteries surrounding the Planetary organization, its members, and its financier, come to the forefront. The story is very strong, and the art work is also very well executed.

This actually reminded me some of Patton Oswalt's talk of how nerd culture is too easy now. If I had to wait a month between each chapter, and reread each issue in anticipation, I imagine it would have been an even more riveting tale, and perhaps I would have picked up on some m
Miles
More great work from Warren Ellis (writer) and John Cassaday (artist). This volume once again left me looking forward to me. The wild plotlines, compelling characters, varied storytellings, and fun homages continued, as the mysteries surronunding the main characters deepened. This time around there were tips of the cap to Michael Moorcock, '50s horror movies, Green Lantern, Superman, Wonder Woman, Jim Steranko, and Nick Fury, Agent of Shield, among others. Graphic novels do not get much more fun ...more
Dave
See my review of the first volume, that pretty much sums up this one too. I will note that Jakita, for being your basic brick, is surprisingly emotionally engaging. I guess, because she is surprisingly emotionally engaged. Cassaday gives her an unexpectedly expressive face, and she pretty much wears her heart on her sleeve, which is a welcome departure from the standardly stoic, laconic musclehead.

Oh yeah, and...

*** SPOILER ***

I totally knew Snow was the 4th Man all along. I mean, c'mon.
Addison
This volume would get a perfect score just for issue 7 (the Vertigo/Constantine issue) alone. As a Vertigo fan this was wonderful. It's a shame that one of the best issues so far is likely not to be really understood by people outside of comics/casual comic fans. You can tell Ellis was really personally invested in the issue.

This is my first read through of Planetary, and it's definitely living up to the hype. Turn of the century Wildstorm must have been really fun to experience at the time. I'm
Edward Swalwell
This book continues the exploration of the first book, but begins to move away from the 'mystery of the week' plots of the first book towards a larger story-arc, whilst maintaining the fascinating characters and world created in the first collection.

The revelations are fascinating and frequently unexpected, and some of the foreshadowing in the earlier books is explained - whilst a lot more questions are asked. This book is definitely one of the modern classics of comics - and should easily be co
Dan
Another weird alternate reality and fictional characters.
Gayle Francis Moffet
A great six issues that pull tight the plot strings laid out in the previous six and brings us a great conclusion to the mystery of the fourth man.

I'm biased towards this comic in a lot of ways: I've read it before; I've enjoyed easily 95% of the Ellis I've read; I enjoy Cassaday's art, but even with those in the pot, this is a well-written, well-paced, well-executed book that has fun exploring the weirdness of the world while presenting deeper themes and ideas by tricking you with what appear t
Graphic Novel Rea...: Planetary, Vol. 2: The Fourth Man 2 21 Mar 03, 2014 09:40AM
  • Top 10, Vol. 2
  • Astro City, Vol. 2: Confession
  • The Authority, Vol. 3: Earth Inferno and Other Stories
  • Powers, Vol. 2: Roleplay
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 2: The Painting That Ate Paris
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 2: Tag (Ex Machina, #2)
  • The Authority: Revolution, Vol. 1
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)

“Magic is the cheat codes for the world.” 14 likes
“You know what they say; if you're tired of London, you're tired of life.” 6 likes