Start by marking “Reliving the Passion: Meditations on the Suffering, Death, and the Resurrection of Jesus as Recorded in Mark.” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  223 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
No story has more significance than this: the death and resurrection of Jesus. But somehow the oft-repeated tale of Christ’s passion can become too familiar, too formalized, for us to experience its incredible immediacy. The meditations in Reliving the Passion, which received a Gold Medallion Award in 1993, follow the story as given in the gospel of Mark—from the moment wh ...more
Published February 25th 1992 by Zondervan (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Reliving the Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reliving the Passion

I Thirst by Gina Marinello-SweeneyNow and at the Hour of Our Death by J.S.B. MorseLife Stories of Dying Penitents by A Missionary PriestExamination of Conscience for Adults by Donald F. MillerSt. Maria Goretti by Godfrey Poage
Books for Lent
9th out of 26 books — 12 voters
God by Robert WoegerThe Power of a Praying Woman by Stormie OmartianThe Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie OmartianThe Power of Praying for Your Adult Children by Stormie OmartianThe Power of a Praying Husband by Stormie Omartian
Books for Beginning Christians
26th out of 56 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Hope
Not for everyone

Wangerin imagines the thoughts and actions of the participants in the Easter story. Serious students of the Bible may take umbrage at all the things he makes up. I enjoyed his Advent devotional much more.
Bill
Apr 01, 2013 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful Lenten daily devotion that causes the reader to slow down and take The Passion as presented in the Gospel of Mark much more intentionally. The author's various perspectives are so much more than his own reflections. He has taken some literary license to add first-person observer/participant lenses to the story, some of which are simply evocative. The author colors with details of scenes that perhaps most often get taken for granted, or left completely unconsidered.

Although the book i
Penny Reeve
Apr 22, 2014 Penny Reeve rated it it was amazing
This book takes you day by day through the story of Easter. Although written as a resource for Lent, it can be read any time during the year as a devotion to pull you into the mystery and power of Easter.
Walter Wangerin Jr's storytelling is powerful and taps the soul on the shoulder inviting it to consider a heart felt response to these events. Beautiful.
Apr 20, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Wow. Creative approach to the Passion from perspective of observer, bystander, participator and self. Some things I had not really thought about before and about which I will have to continue to ponder. Amazed at God's great love and what Jesus really endured.. and why. I am humbled and grateful.
Chris Wisener
Mar 04, 2014 Chris Wisener rated it really liked it
This is a rough book. It's rough in that it takes you through the passion of Christ. It's also a needed book. It's needed in that it it brings you closer to Christ.
Amy Kannel
Sep 26, 2012 Amy Kannel rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, christianity
After I downloaded a sample and found myself repeatedly underlining from the introduction, I bought the full book on the spot. The rest of this Lent devotional wasn’t quite as spectacular as that poignant introduction, but I still found it a moving and helpful book for focusing my heart in the weeks leading up to Resurrection Sunday. Wangerin made a powerful argument for the importance of really slowing down and fixing our eyes on the cross, for without first entering into the depth of Jesus’ su ...more
Janet
Apr 05, 2015 Janet rated it liked it
Wangerin's imagery encourages the reader to view these sometimes all-too-familiar scriptures in new ways, shedding light from unusual angles. While I find it somewhat disturbing that he often describes his own imaginings of Biblical events without identifying them as opinion, I mostly find that his originality helps me to think outside the box.
Ken Sutton
Jun 17, 2015 Ken Sutton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Devotional for Lent

I read this over Lent with some family members. We kept in touch with text messages, sharing thoughts and comments from time to time. The authors poetic style is wonderful and helps put you in a different place and time. It is a little dark and uncomfortable in some places but it is appropriate for the subject.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Lenten study that will draw them in and make them think.
Milan Homola
by far one of the best devotional books I've ever seen. The way Wangerin tells a story is incredible. He communicates emotion, theology, and beauty all in one sentence. If you take some time with this 40 days of Lent devotional I promise you will have new perspectives on Christ's passion
David A. Clifton
Mar 28, 2016 David A. Clifton rated it liked it
My pastor recommended this to read as a devotional for Lent. Written as observations of bystanders witnessing the final days of Jesus.
I found it thought-provoking, and I plan to read Wangerin's reflections on Advent.
Susan Majerus
Walter Wangerin is a writer who is able to put you right there in the midst of the historical event and help guide you into an intense devotional experience. This is a book I will return to again and again during Lent.
Ann
Mar 28, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
Incredibly powerful and beautifully written Lenten devotional. Wangerin's exceptional storytelling ability and obvious love of the Lord make the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus immediate and palpable.
Donna Pineau
Apr 08, 2016 Donna Pineau rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best Lent devotional I've ever read. I've already put a reminder in my phone to reread next Lent season.
Pam Howell
Apr 02, 2013 Pam Howell rated it really liked it
This was my lenten companion this past month. Wangerin did a good job in helping me enter into the moment, reflect & feel Christi's and His followers journey to the cross, tomb & resurrection.
Michelle
Dec 26, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
Rec. by Ann Voskamp for Lent. Poetic, sharp words, kindling the heart to the inestimable worth of Christ. Guiding the reader on a forty day passion journey through the gospel of Mark.
Linda
Jul 25, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
This is a great Lenten devotional. Walter Wangerin is a master with words--made me feel as if I was right there with Jesus. I plan to use this book again next year--I recommend it highly.
Rachel
Jun 20, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
I've read this book twice during Lent season and it's definitely life-changing. It puts the events surrounding Jesus' sacrifice into a very personal and new perspective.
Kimberly
Mar 31, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing for anyone who takes this time of Lent seriously. A beautiful reminder of what Christ followers base their faith on. Highly recommended.
Ann Hein
Apr 25, 2014 Ann Hein rated it really liked it
My devotional during Lent. Wangerin has a wonderful way of bringing to life the events of Holy Week.
Phil Aud
Apr 24, 2011 Phil Aud rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I would rate 3.5 if there were such a thing. There were parts that blew me away and other parts that didn't. Was a good devotional for Lent.
Yvonne
Jun 29, 2013 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
My ever best Lent book, to pass 40 days through the eyes of participants and spectators, being part of the story of My Lord.
Christina
Apr 25, 2011 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
It was ok. I bought it because the sample was so good, but the rest of the book didn't click with me as well as the Prologue.
Kim
Apr 04, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Devotions for the 40 days of Lent. The author makes you feel like you are there with Jesus. Plan to read it each Lent.
Tim
Mar 23, 2008 Tim rated it really liked it
Good Lenten preparation, though it did not feel right as part of the family devotions.
Mar
Apr 08, 2012 Mar rated it really liked it
Good book to read for lent. Makes one think about various parts of Jesus' suffering.
Kevin Casto
Apr 06, 2015 Kevin Casto rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Great devotional on the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.
Christy
Feb 05, 2013 Christy rated it it was amazing
I love this meditation. I read through it every year during lent.
Rachel
Apr 03, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Excellent Lent/Easter devotional. I appreciated it.
Sneha
Jun 25, 2007 Sneha rated it it was amazing
i have read this a few times during lent. quite powerful.
Twoolsey
Apr 16, 2013 Twoolsey rated it it was amazing
Absolutely my favorite Lenten devotional.
  • Show Me The Way: Readings for Each Day of Lent
  • On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518
  • Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Bible
  • Meeting God at Every Turn
  • The Spirituality of the Cross
  • A Simple Way to Pray
  • The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus
  • The Proper Distinction Between Law and Gospel
  • The Bookends of the Christian Life
  • The Reformation (The Penguin History of the Church, #3)
  • Radical Love: An Introduction to Queer Theology
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • Max on Life: Answers and Insights to Your Most Important Questions
  • Behold the Lamb of God: The True Tall Tale of the Coming of Christ
  • Joshua and the Shepherd
  • The Christian Tradition 2: The Spirit of Eastern Christendom 600-1700
  • A Path Through Suffering: Discovering the Relationship Between God's Mercy and Our Pain
  • Western Society and the Church in the Middle Ages (The Penguin History of the Church, #2)
Walter Wangerin Jr. is widely recognized as one of the most gifted writers writing today on the issues of faith and spirituality. Starting with the renowned Book of the Dun Cow, Wangerin's writing career has encompassed most every genre: fiction, essay, short story, children's story, meditation, and biblical exposition. His writing voice is immediately recognizable, and his fans number in the mill ...more
More about Walter Wangerin Jr....

“The difference between shallow happiness and a deep, sustaining joy is sorrow. Happiness lives where sorrow is not. When sorrow arrives, happiness dies. It can't stand pain. Joy, on the other hand, rises from sorrow and therefore can withstand all grief. Joy, by the grace of God, is the transfiguration of suffering into endurance, and of endurance into character, and of character into hope--and the hope that has become our joy does not (as happiness must for those who depend up on it) disappoint us.” 23 likes
“For what was your gesture? An act of pure love for Jesus particularly. It was an act so completely focused upon the Christ that not a dram of worldly benefit was gained thereby. Nothing could justify the spillage of some three hundred days' wages, except love alone. [...] The disciples, in fact, were offended by an act that produced nothing, accomplished nothing, fed no poor, served no need. They reproached you as a wastrel. They were offended by the absurd, an act devoted absolutely to love, to love alone. But Jesus called it 'beautiful.” 4 likes