Start by marking “The Gregg Reference Manual: A Manual of Style, Grammar, Usage, and Formatting” as Want to Read:
The Gregg Reference Manual: A Manual of Style, Grammar, Usage, and Formatting

The Gregg Reference Manual: A Manual of Style, Grammar, Usage, and Formatting

Updated to include new communication technology and its unique issues

For more than 50 years, "The Gregg Reference Manual "has been recognized as the best style manual for business professionals and students. The basic rules that apply to the most frequent problems are covered as thoroughly as the fine points of the problems that occur less often. The colorful examples and
Spiral-bound, Tenth Edition, 688 pages
Published June 14th 2004 by McGraw-Hill

To ask other readers questions about The Gregg Reference Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gregg Reference Manual

Larry Cooper
Apr 17, 2014 Larry Cooper rated it it was amazing
The best thing I ever did when I transitioned from clinical work to writing and editing was to sit down and read The Gregg Reference Manual from cover to cover. Not only did it knock out all the nonsense about writing "rules" that I learned in grade school, it gave me the language foundation I needed to develop a proficiency in professional styles such as AMA, APA, Chicago, MLA, AP and others. I truly believe that anyone who hopes to demonstrate a basic mastery of the language in his or her prof ...more
Nicole
Aug 27, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Really the best all-in-one grammar and style book out there.
Briana
Sep 29, 2009 Briana rated it liked it
I actually think I *did* read all of this...imagine that. I thought it was fun. Really. Grammar is cool.

I really liked the list in the back with all the words that people habitually mispronounce. It was very...convicting. (Although I don't know if I agreed with it in entirety...)

Spent way too much money on this book...but every ninth grader needs to become grounded in the mechanics of language.
Tessa
Jan 27, 2010 Tessa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: grammar lovers
Recommended to Tessa by: Mrs. Meuser
I had to read this for a grammar class I took. It is very tedious to read from page to page like a regular book, (like I often had to do) but it is very informational. If you're looking for a grammar book that talks about everything except diagramming and parts of speech, this is your book. That is, as long as you can stay awake.
Julie
May 19, 2008 Julie rated it liked it
Irritating in its detail. Is "therefore" essential or nonessential to a sentence? Does your voice rise or fall when you say it in a sentence? Sheesh! Just put commas around it and be done with it. I have to use this when teaching composition, but it irritates me.

The usage section is helpful, however, with showing differences between words like apprise and appraise, etc.
Christy
Jan 23, 2011 Christy rated it really liked it
Unavoidable in college, useful afterward. Hard to "read," but it's a REFERENCE manual. It's not meant to be "read." Therefore, I don't understand it being "assigned reading," even as a former college instructor.
Laurie
Dec 10, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, writing
Have used this book in the past and have found it very useful, with excellent examples of conventions of writing mechanics. More thorough than Strunk and White. It is not inexpensive and it does get updated every year or two, so it helps if you can get it from a library when you need it.
Oct 27, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
So I like reading about proper punctuation. You can point out that this makes me a nerd, but that isn't exactly news.
Alison G.
this was mandatory for me to get for a class. hated it then, but decided to keep it in case i needed it. I havent had to use it since but i know there will come a day when i will have to.
Nick
Oct 29, 2012 Nick rated it liked it
Excellent grammar reference. I have a lot of work to do.
Benni
Mar 16, 2011 Benni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
My second go-to book when I was a tech editor. The first was Words Into Type.
Michael Mclarnon
Michael Mclarnon rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Tammy Attama
Tammy Attama rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Msmithy
Msmithy rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2017
Lanise
Lanise rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2012
Laura Moisan
Laura Moisan rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2017
Cathy Durant
Cathy Durant rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
SHAUNELLIA FERGUSON
SHAUNELLIA FERGUSON rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2017
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Taya Baker
Taya Baker rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Kieran
Kieran rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Rachel Olivier
Rachel Olivier rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2008
Azalea Mastio
Azalea Mastio rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2016
Bruce2046
Bruce2046 rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Carole Bass
Carole Bass rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Ali
Ali rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2015
AlegnaB
AlegnaB rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Perryokeets
Perryokeets rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Leslie Joerin
Leslie Joerin rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2014