Start by marking “Kid” as Want to Read:
Kid

Kid

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  298 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This collection of poems includes the themes of domestic tension, law and order, submerged and exploding violence, and the anarchic strain in the human psyche. Simon Armitage is the author of Zoom!.
Paperback
Published 1999 by Faber and Faber (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kid

Gwynne Harries
Jul 22, 2012 Gwynne Harries rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
enjoyed it. some poems more than others but that is always the way. The fact that I keep buying his books says a lot.
Rachel
Jan 20, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
'Without Photographs'

We literally stumble over the bits
and pieces, covered with ash
and tarpaulin, stashed into corners,
all that tackle under the old mill.
I don't know how we finally figure it out,
poking around in the half-dark,
coming across the neatly coiled strips
of soft lead-flashing
and the fire-blackened melting equipment
but it all fits together, falls into place.
For three weeks we light up the adapted oil-drum
with anything combustible:
door frames from the tip, spools, bobbins,
pallets, plank
Evelyn
Jun 01, 2015 Evelyn rated it it was ok
Simon Armitage seems to be a love him or hate him kind of poet and I feel that his collections of poetry are very mixed. Kid had some interesting themes and concepts that were open to interpretation but his poems don't flow well for me. There were one or two that particularly stood out (both 'Song' and 'Poem' especially), but ultimately i struggle to get into his work. Maybe one I'll have a go at re-reading at a later date.
rogue
Nov 28, 2015 rogue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first opened this book I was delighted. There was an unexpected murder or a theft, a mysterious encounter or a suicide--something--happening on almost every page. It seemed like there was always enough time at the end of every poem for someone to die or get hit by a car. I read with morbid suspense, waiting to laugh inappropriately. Simon Armitage is great, I thought. Not every writer can squeeze an inappropriate laugh out of you, after all.

Then the book fell flat and impenetrable, the s
Chris
Mar 07, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I find it difficult to appreciate books on poetry unless they come with notes explaining the background of the poems themselves. I have never been educated with regards to poetry so unless it is in the form of an 'idiots guide' alot of it is lost on me.

Some of Armitage's poetry is very easy to enjoy and witty but alot of it doesn't make sense unless you know the background therefore alot of the poems I just skipped over.
J D Murray
This and its sisters have been adorning my various poetry shelves for many years. I've started it before, but I don't think I've finished it.

There are some pieces in here I quite like -Song, Gooseberry Season, Speaking Terms, maybe Poem and Great Sporting Moments- but the Robinson stuff is just dull. What with this and The Death of King Arthur, I start to suspect that Armitage may not be versecasting on my wavelength.
Isobel
Sep 09, 2015 Isobel rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, read-in-2015
Armitage's talent is his wit and the pace of all of his poems. Reading any of his collections to me so far has been an exciting experience, punctuated with moments of great emotional clout. Kid, his first collection, is no different, and it is quite lovely to see his early work, only really knowing his more recent poems.
May 10, 2015 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is the first time I've read anything by Simon Armitage - maybe his other books are more accessible. I struggled to be interested in the poems, was even repulsed by some of them. Not a wavelength/style that meshed with me.
Nettle
Jan 24, 2014 Nettle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those books that's stayed with me. Probably the first book of "real" poetry I ever read and actually thought about.
Sam Pryce
I only really liked two poems in this collection (hence the two stars). They were the aptly named 'Poem' and 'About His Person'. I found the others to be inaccessible and somewhat lackadaisical. Soz, Simon, bbz.
Dee
May 24, 2012 Dee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, jack-revision
I am definitely not a Simon Armitage fan but have only been reading his works to help my son revise/study for his English Literature exams.
Paul
Sep 27, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Just read this for the first time 18 years after it was first published, and although I enjoyed it I prefer his later stuff
Paulisbored
Jun 02, 2015 Paulisbored rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some brilliant, accessible poems that a joy to read. Some slightly pretentious gubbins that isn't.
Rachael Hall
Recommends it for: poets
Shelves: pomes
love the simon
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2016
Ardis
Ardis marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Erin
Erin is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Ned Gill
Ned Gill marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Alastair
Alastair rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Cat
Cat added it
Apr 05, 2016
Billy
Billy rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Martin Thomas
Martin Thomas rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Pat Perciuch
Pat Perciuch rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
  • Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis
  • High Windows
  • Tell Me the Truth about Love
  • Death of a Naturalist
  • The War Poems
  • Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow (Faber Library)
  • Dart
  • Of Mutability
  • Feminine Gospels: Poems
  • Autumn Journal
  • The Mersey Sound
  • 101 Sonnets (Faber Poetry)
Simon Armitage, whose The Shout was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award, has published ten volumes of poetry and has received numerous honors for his work. He lives in England.

Armitage's poetry collections include Book of Matches (1993) and The Dead Sea Poems (1995). He has written two novels, Little Green Man (2001) and The White Stuff (2004), as well as All Points North (1998),
More about Simon Armitage...

“God help us both if this is summer.
The sun shines all day and all night
but it has no warmth, no light, no colour.”
2 likes