Start by marking “Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  3,161 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
In her most comprehensive volume yet, Madhur Jaffrey draws on more than four decades of culinary adventures, travels, and experimentation for a diverse collection that both intrigues and delights the palate. Dishes from five continents touch on virtually all the world's best loved flavors, for a unsurpassed selection of vegetarian fare.

More than 650 recipes exemplify Madhu
Published January 15th 2002 by Clarkson Potter (first published October 8th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian

Angelar
Dec 17, 2009 Angelar rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with tastebuds who is not a Tyrannosaurus rex
I can't stress enough how indispensable I find this cookbook. Divided into easy-to-use sections (for individual beans, vegetables, grains, dairy products, and soups, salads, drinks, and additional seasonings), clearly written and supplemented with cultural anecdotes and tips, Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian is encyclopedic in scope, but full of individual treasures. Even if you're someone who eats meat regularly, this book is worth investigating for its troves of recipes which will surely sup ...more
notgettingenough
Jul 29, 2011 notgettingenough rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I have a friend who is a dyke from Amsterdam - let me clarify that.

It isn't that she holds back the flood waters.

More that she likes girls more than is strictly speaking necessary.

More, for example, than Whitaker would.

She comes around for dinner a lot and she is a very politically correct dyke. Last Monday she presented me with something. 'What's that?' I asked suspiciously? 'A zucchini' she replied. Well, I did know that, really. But for all I know, being a dyke means -

Well anyway. Now I ha
Cort
Oct 13, 2007 Cort rated it it was amazing
Love me, love my cooking. And I love to cook. DAMN. I don't buy too many cookbooks, as I usually prefer to get creative in the kitchen, but this book is so thorough and the recipes so simple and yet amazing I had to give in a buy it. Who's coming over for dinner?
Allie
Mar 23, 2015 Allie added it
Shelves: cookbooks, own
I got this behemoth on clearance at Beans & Barley! What a steal! Anyways, the recipes look really good - a good mix of complex ones and crazy simple ones. Although with all cookbooks, I refrain from giving it a rating until I've actually made a few things from it.
Tobinsfavorite
May 08, 2009 Tobinsfavorite rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tobinsfavorite by: A friend who didn't actually like it
this is my first-among-cookbooks. I just had Persian poached eggs with Forbidden Rice last night. I must be the Emperor!
Joanne
Dec 28, 2010 Joanne rated it it was amazing
This is my absolute favourite cookbook. Love it, love it, love it!
Krysten
Oct 15, 2013 Krysten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I wish Madhur Jaffrey were my grandma.

More than that, though, I wish I had enough time in my life to cook every single one of these recipes. I love how comprehensive this book is; this truly is a worldwide selection of recipes. Jaffrey also does the thing that I love most in cookbooks, which is to include a few sentences alongside every recipe to detail how to prepare it or what to serve it with. Cookbooks that don't have that little extra bit of information do not belong on my over-stuffed coo
Tricia
Aug 02, 2011 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
I am not a vegetarian, but I have belonged to local CSAs for most of the past decade. As a result, I have an abundance of fresh vegetables for half of the year, and I'm always looking for interesting ways to prepare them. This cookbook definitely serves that purpose. I pull it off the shelf at least 4 times a week during CSA season. With very few exceptions, I have really enjoyed every recipe I've tried. Perhaps a dozen are in our regular meal rotation.

The recipes come from a variety of culinary
Nags
Jun 02, 2013 Nags rated it it was amazing
i usually don't rate cookbooks until i've tried at least 3 recipes from it but this one was irresistible. i haven't cooked from it yet but i've heard so many good things about it and after 20 mins of browsing through it, i have bookmarked 6 recipes already. some of them recipes sound so simple, pair up amazingly different ingredients and make you want to cook and eat it rightthisminute. as a rule, i prefer cookbooks with books but this is a wonderful exception.

i know this is too glowing a revie
Julie
Dec 04, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I remember using Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks for Indian cooking in England in the 1980's. I found her style very engaging & her recipes delicious! It was a real treat to come across this new book by her especially as several of my family members are vegetarian. This cookbook is highly readable in Mahur's warm conversational style & the recipes are laid out very logically. Each recipe includes a label stating which country or region it is from. There are some photographs in the center of ...more
Kira
May 01, 2016 Kira rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library, cookbooks
This is my favourite cookbook, hands down. The dishes inside sound simple and have humble names, but 'tomatoes in a tomato sauce' will knock your socks off. I'm found the book somewhat intimidating to start -- it's organized by ingredient, and there are virtually no pictures -- but it produces probably the best food I've ever cooked. Try the Sri Lankan sweet potatoes! The recipes are prefaced by information about the area they're from, as well as Jaffrey's first experience with the dish and ...more
Karene
May 30, 2008 Karene rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
This book is a fantastic resource for trying out vegetarian recipes. My husband and I were looking to cut back on meat but not looking to go totally vegetarian, and I'm not a fan of just removing meat from my regular recipes. Madhur Jaffrey is the master of fantastic flavors, in my opinion. Most of the meals are seasoned in a way that will leave you wanting more. Keep in mind that this is a book of "world" recipes, some of them are more exotic than others and require a bit of adventurous ...more
Jen
Apr 04, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Got this as a gift last summer, and have finally had a chance to try it out. Cameron's not as much of a beans-and-rice co-op vegetarian as me - his ideal dinner is stir fry. So this book has been a good resource for a couple hit dinners (and some failures, but those are my faults, or maybe that of my shabby pans that make it easy to burn things.) It's a nice resource for seemingly simple meals that don't taste like the same old thing I've been making for years, with different ingredients that I ...more
Karen Roman
Jan 29, 2013 Karen Roman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-cooking
I'm not vegetarian, but I have been going back to this again and again over the years whenever I am looking for vegetable dishes. It's a seemingly limitless source of recipes that make flavorful dishes that are often suitable for either side dishes or main courses. This book has travelled with me from home to home for the last decade and a half, and it hasn't let me down yet. Can't recommend it highly enough. If you enjoy eastern cuisines and like your veggies, I consider this volume a "must ...more
Joan
Jul 21, 2008 Joan rated it it was amazing
The other of my 3 favortie cookbooks, this one has all kinds of markers sticking out from the top and the side so I can find my favorite recipes fast. This cookbook offers ideas way beyond the regular vegetarian fare. You may need to find an "ethnic" food store to buy some of the ingredients in this book, but it is so worth it. Many of those new ingredients have become standards in our kitchen. The dust jacket for this book is long gone, but Madhur is so cute on the cover holding her eggplant!
K
Jun 25, 2015 K rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite cookbook of all time. I've never had to change a recipe (unless I preferred it a different way).. Vegetarian or not, every single dish I've ever made is delicious. Love, love the Nigerian peanut stew. I'll probably never be done reading this cookbook. I've been using it for years. it is my favorite vegetarian cookbook of all time. if I had to save one cookbook in a fire this eould be it. Nigerian peanut stew, yellow lentil dal, saag paneer, roti, eggs with siracha. love it ...more
Anina
Feb 18, 2010 Anina rated it it was amazing
Currently reading this and 'A Taste of the Far East.' I am kind obsessed with Madhur Jaffrey lately. First of all, every recipe in each of her books is delicious as hell. And two, I really love reading her little blurbs at the beginning of each recipe, recanting the tale of the first time she ate some crazy thing in Indonesia under the truffula tree. She also describes in a lovely way some of the more exotic ingredients.
Rebekka
Dec 05, 2012 Rebekka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery-books
Quite simply THE best vegetarian cookbook in the world!
With hundreds of foolproof recipes from all over the world, handyly indexed by ingredient.
This book is used on an almost daily basis. I can come home see what i have in the fridge and then consult the book. As long as you have a fully stocked spice and condiment cupboard you can eat a delectable feast everyday.

I have never had a dinner disaster when cooking from this book!
Yaaresse
May 09, 2016 Yaaresse rated it it was ok
I was so anticipating this cookbook, then it sat on my shelf for nearly five years. I think I used it twice. It's not that the recipes aren't good (at least the two I tried), but more than the format isn't that user friendly. I want to cook, not wade through crowded print and endless paragraphs. Seems like every time I reached for this, I sighed, closed it, and picked up one of my Julie Sahni cookbooks.
Ginna
Sep 28, 2008 Ginna rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ginna by: Jessica
Shelves: recipes
Not too long ago, I had sprouted sauteed blackeyed peas for BREAKFAST, thanks to the inspiration of this book. Jaffrey gives great instructions on cooking, soaking, sprouting, picking ingredients, and she also works wonders through the medium of story (imagine a group of Indian ladies engaged in the communal work of sorting beans together 50 years ago during Jaffrey's childhood, and maybe you'll be inspired to actually sort your own beans as I was).
Leah
Feb 18, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I don't ever read a cookbook cover-to-cover, so it's odd to say it's "read." Graham gave me this for a gift last holiday season, and it's been great. Highly recommended both for cooking and reading.

My criticisms so far are that quantity of salt called for in some of the recipes is much too large and the pressure cooker cooking times for some for some legumes are too long. As with all cookbooks, read with a critical eye and adjust for common sense.
K.N.
Mar 18, 2016 K.N. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-shelf, cookbooks, 1990s
I love how everything is organized in this book, and I've loved just about every recipe I've tried. I've had a few issues here and there, such as recipes calling for beans being cooked a certain way with the cooking water retained and used, but I often pre-cook and freeze beans to save time, so perfecting the conversion's had many trials-and-errors. That's my own fault though. If you follow the recipes exactly, you won't have any trouble. They're great.
Nohreen
Dec 13, 2009 Nohreen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This is my new favorite vegetarian cookbook. The recipes are very easy to follow and make. I'm looking forward to getting my own copy of this cookbook. The section on beans & legumes are just excellent and the recipes that I have tried are delicious. I can't wait to try the other recipes and all the fun I'll have in the kitchen.
Kristen
Dec 17, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
Better than Joy of Cooking (well, except for baking cakes and stuff). She gives basic preparation/storage tips for any given ingredient (i.e., chickpeas, spinach, barley, etc) and then follows it with 5-10 recipes that show how people how over the world use the ingredient. A great reference book, and a lot of yummy recipes as well.
Dianne
Aug 29, 2007 Dianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I'm a carnivore and don't give a damn about vegetarian cooking. But I keep this book on my shelf for one reason: the worldwide selection of recipes for various herb and spice mixtures. Curry, harissa, zahtar, pesto, masala - they're all in here. If I want to know what's in gomasio and how to make it at home, I turn to Jaffrey.
Aja Marsh
Feb 08, 2016 Aja Marsh rated it liked it
i feel like this is a book i'd buy and keep at home. i like how it's organized by type of vegetable / ingredient, which makes it fun to flip through when you're thinking "hmm, i have a lot of eggplant" or whatever. i haven't tried anything out of here, but i love the around the world type of vegetarian tomes that give me a lot to play and work with.
Nupur
Sep 04, 2014 Nupur rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a collection of hundreds of meatless recipes from across the world. I love that Jaffrey presents unusual home-style recipes that she learned from home cooks. This book is full of fresh ideas. Some of the recipes from this book that I've adapted are Sri Lankan spice powder, Oriya mashed potatoes and Sri Lankan mustard greens.
Deb
Dec 25, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This large book is a great collection of over 650 meat-free vegetarian and vegan recipes from around the globe. Great explanation of ingredients, cooking techniques and culture make it an excellent resource for anyone who wants to expand their meat-free cooking repertoire. So far I have tried the Indian French Toast and Lemongrass Tea--both easy and good.
Sean
Oct 30, 2009 Sean rated it it was amazing
For my money, simply the best vegetarian/vegan cooking resource out there. Loaded up with recipes (my guess: over 500), from many parts of the world: India, Sri Lanka, China, Trinidad, the US, and Morocco, just to name a few. Any good cookbook should also double as a reference book, and "World Vegetarian" is a good one of those too. Highly recommended.
vanessa vichit-vadakan
Mar 17, 2008 vanessa vichit-vadakan rated it really liked it
it's easy for me to fall in a vegetable rut, but jaffrey's recipes help me to rethink my cooking and teach me to branch out, using vegetables, spices, and techniques that broaden my scope and fill my tummy with delicious new dishes.
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Home Baking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
  • The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without
  • Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions
  • 660 Curries
Madhur Jaffrey is the person who brought curries into the mainstream with her 1973 debut book An Invitation to Indian Cookery.
More about Madhur Jaffrey...