Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  2,298 ratings  ·  76 reviews
In her most comprehensive volume yet, Madhur Jaffrey draws on more than four decades of culinary adventures, travels, and experimentation for a diverse collection that both intrigues and delights the palate. Dishes from five continents touch on virtually all the world's best loved flavors, for a unsurpassed selection of vegetarian fare.

More than 650 recipes exemplify Madhu...more
Published January 15th 2002 by Clarkson Potter (first published October 8th 1998)

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
53rd out of 827 books — 827 voters
Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian by Madhur JaffreyThe New Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie KatzenHow to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark BittmanVegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah MadisonMollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen
Best Vegetarian Recipe Books
1st out of 121 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Angelar
Feb 16, 2008 Angelar rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with tastebuds who is not a Tyrannosaurus rex
I can't stress enough how indispensable I find this cookbook. Divided into easy-to-use sections (for individual beans, vegetables, grains, dairy products, and soups, salads, drinks, and additional seasonings), clearly written and supplemented with cultural anecdotes and tips, Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian is encyclopedic in scope, but full of individual treasures. Even if you're someone who eats meat regularly, this book is worth investigating for its troves of recipes which will surely sup...more
notgettingenough
I have a friend who is a dyke from Amsterdam - let me clarify that.

It isn't that she holds back the flood waters.

More that she likes girls more than is strictly speaking necessary.

More, for example, than Whitaker would.

She comes around for dinner a lot and she is a very politically correct dyke. Last Monday she presented me with something. 'What's that?' I asked suspiciously? 'A zucchini' she replied. Well, I did know that, really. But for all I know, being a dyke means -

Well anyway. Now I ha...more
Cort
Love me, love my cooking. And I love to cook. DAMN. I don't buy too many cookbooks, as I usually prefer to get creative in the kitchen, but this book is so thorough and the recipes so simple and yet amazing I had to give in a buy it. Who's coming over for dinner?
Karen Roman
I'm not vegetarian, but I have been going back to this again and again over the years whenever I am looking for vegetable dishes. It's a seemingly limitless source of recipes that make flavorful dishes that are often suitable for either side dishes or main courses. This book has travelled with me from home to home for the last decade and a half, and it hasn't let me down yet. Can't recommend it highly enough. If you enjoy eastern cuisines and like your veggies, I consider this volume a "must hav...more
Tobinsfavorite
May 08, 2009 Tobinsfavorite rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tobinsfavorite by: A friend who didn't actually like it
this is my first-among-cookbooks. I just had Persian poached eggs with Forbidden Rice last night. I must be the Emperor!
Joanne
This is my absolute favourite cookbook. Love it, love it, love it!
Krysten
I wish Madhur Jaffrey were my grandma.

More than that, though, I wish I had enough time in my life to cook every single one of these recipes. I love how comprehensive this book is; this truly is a worldwide selection of recipes. Jaffrey also does the thing that I love most in cookbooks, which is to include a few sentences alongside every recipe to detail how to prepare it or what to serve it with. Cookbooks that don't have that little extra bit of information do not belong on my over-stuffed coo...more
Tricia
I am not a vegetarian, but I have belonged to local CSAs for most of the past decade. As a result, I have an abundance of fresh vegetables for half of the year, and I'm always looking for interesting ways to prepare them. This cookbook definitely serves that purpose. I pull it off the shelf at least 4 times a week during CSA season. With very few exceptions, I have really enjoyed every recipe I've tried. Perhaps a dozen are in our regular meal rotation.

The recipes come from a variety of culinary...more
Nags
i usually don't rate cookbooks until i've tried at least 3 recipes from it but this one was irresistible. i haven't cooked from it yet but i've heard so many good things about it and after 20 mins of browsing through it, i have bookmarked 6 recipes already. some of them recipes sound so simple, pair up amazingly different ingredients and make you want to cook and eat it rightthisminute. as a rule, i prefer cookbooks with books but this is a wonderful exception.

i know this is too glowing a revie...more
Kira
This is my favourite cookbook, hands down. The dishes inside sound simple and have humble names, but 'tomatoes in a tomato sauce' will knock your socks off. I'm found the book somewhat intimidating to start -- it's organized by ingredient, and there are virtually no pictures -- but it produces probably the best food I've ever cooked. Try the Sri Lankan sweet potatoes! The recipes are prefaced by information about the area they're from, as well as Jaffrey's first experience with the dish and sugg...more
Julie
I remember using Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks for Indian cooking in England in the 1980's. I found her style very engaging & her recipes delicious! It was a real treat to come across this new book by her especially as several of my family members are vegetarian. This cookbook is highly readable in Mahur's warm conversational style & the recipes are laid out very logically. Each recipe includes a label stating which country or region it is from. There are some photographs in the center of t...more
Karene
This book is a fantastic resource for trying out vegetarian recipes. My husband and I were looking to cut back on meat but not looking to go totally vegetarian, and I'm not a fan of just removing meat from my regular recipes. Madhur Jaffrey is the master of fantastic flavors, in my opinion. Most of the meals are seasoned in a way that will leave you wanting more. Keep in mind that this is a book of "world" recipes, some of them are more exotic than others and require a bit of adventurous tastebu...more
Sam Gilbert
It is rare to encounter a cookbook in which every recipe is outstanding. This is that rare thing. And there are SO many recipes. I love this book.
Jen
Got this as a gift last summer, and have finally had a chance to try it out. Cameron's not as much of a beans-and-rice co-op vegetarian as me - his ideal dinner is stir fry. So this book has been a good resource for a couple hit dinners (and some failures, but those are my faults, or maybe that of my shabby pans that make it easy to burn things.) It's a nice resource for seemingly simple meals that don't taste like the same old thing I've been making for years, with different ingredients that I...more
Joan
The other of my 3 favortie cookbooks, this one has all kinds of markers sticking out from the top and the side so I can find my favorite recipes fast. This cookbook offers ideas way beyond the regular vegetarian fare. You may need to find an "ethnic" food store to buy some of the ingredients in this book, but it is so worth it. Many of those new ingredients have become standards in our kitchen. The dust jacket for this book is long gone, but Madhur is so cute on the cover holding her eggplant!
Leah
I don't ever read a cookbook cover-to-cover, so it's odd to say it's "read." Graham gave me this for a gift last holiday season, and it's been great. Highly recommended both for cooking and reading.

My criticisms so far are that quantity of salt called for in some of the recipes is much too large and the pressure cooker cooking times for some for some legumes are too long. As with all cookbooks, read with a critical eye and adjust for common sense.
Ginna
Sep 28, 2008 Ginna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ginna by: Jessica
Shelves: recipes
Not too long ago, I had sprouted sauteed blackeyed peas for BREAKFAST, thanks to the inspiration of this book. Jaffrey gives great instructions on cooking, soaking, sprouting, picking ingredients, and she also works wonders through the medium of story (imagine a group of Indian ladies engaged in the communal work of sorting beans together 50 years ago during Jaffrey's childhood, and maybe you'll be inspired to actually sort your own beans as I was).
Rebekka
Quite simply THE best vegetarian cookbook in the world!
With hundreds of foolproof recipes from all over the world, handyly indexed by ingredient.
This book is used on an almost daily basis. I can come home see what i have in the fridge and then consult the book. As long as you have a fully stocked spice and condiment cupboard you can eat a delectable feast everyday.

I have never had a dinner disaster when cooking from this book!
Anina
Currently reading this and 'A Taste of the Far East.' I am kind obsessed with Madhur Jaffrey lately. First of all, every recipe in each of her books is delicious as hell. And two, I really love reading her little blurbs at the beginning of each recipe, recanting the tale of the first time she ate some crazy thing in Indonesia under the truffula tree. She also describes in a lovely way some of the more exotic ingredients.
Sean
For my money, simply the best vegetarian/vegan cooking resource out there. Loaded up with recipes (my guess: over 500), from many parts of the world: India, Sri Lanka, China, Trinidad, the US, and Morocco, just to name a few. Any good cookbook should also double as a reference book, and "World Vegetarian" is a good one of those too. Highly recommended.
Deb
This large book is a great collection of over 650 meat-free vegetarian and vegan recipes from around the globe. Great explanation of ingredients, cooking techniques and culture make it an excellent resource for anyone who wants to expand their meat-free cooking repertoire. So far I have tried the Indian French Toast and Lemongrass Tea--both easy and good.
Nohreen
This is my new favorite vegetarian cookbook. The recipes are very easy to follow and make. I'm looking forward to getting my own copy of this cookbook. The section on beans & legumes are just excellent and the recipes that I have tried are delicious. I can't wait to try the other recipes and all the fun I'll have in the kitchen.
Nupur
This is a collection of hundreds of meatless recipes from across the world. I love that Jaffrey presents unusual home-style recipes that she learned from home cooks. This book is full of fresh ideas. Some of the recipes from this book that I've adapted are Sri Lankan spice powder, Oriya mashed potatoes and Sri Lankan mustard greens.
Dianne
Aug 29, 2007 Dianne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I'm a carnivore and don't give a damn about vegetarian cooking. But I keep this book on my shelf for one reason: the worldwide selection of recipes for various herb and spice mixtures. Curry, harissa, zahtar, pesto, masala - they're all in here. If I want to know what's in gomasio and how to make it at home, I turn to Jaffrey.
Kristen
Better than Joy of Cooking (well, except for baking cakes and stuff). She gives basic preparation/storage tips for any given ingredient (i.e., chickpeas, spinach, barley, etc) and then follows it with 5-10 recipes that show how people how over the world use the ingredient. A great reference book, and a lot of yummy recipes as well.
Polly
This book is so huge, I think you'd have to own it and cook from it for months before really knowing if it was good or not. I don't particularly like the arrangement or the lack of photos, which is why I'm only giving it three stars, but I didn't cook from it, so I don't really know how good it is.
Rachel
My favorite favorite favorite veg. cookbook! Madhur Jaffrey is a very good explainer of what she does in the kitchen, without getting fussy or overly detailed. I pull this cookbook off my shelves very frequently to use as a reference, for trying new recipes, or just for fun reading.
Happyreader
This is my favorite book for vegetables and legumes because she incorporates global cooking techniques. I've done cooking demos in areas where the attendees supposedly ate only "traditional" meat and potato meals yet loved the vegetarian menus I put together from this book.
Sangeetha

Fantastic collection.. Most of The recipes are simple with easily accessible ingredients... Made Lubia polo front he book today and might impressed with the result...own this book now and I am more than certain its a great investment...
Caroline
This is an amazing cookbook! Everything we've made from here is delicious although her recipes require some ingredients that can be hard to find if you don't have a gourmet store and asian market in town. Highly recommend this one, though!!!
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Moosewood Restaurant New Classics
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • 660 Curries
  • The New Book of Middle Eastern Food
  • The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
  • Plenty
  • Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
Madhur Jaffrey is the person who brought curries into the mainstream with her 1973 debut book An Invitation to Indian Cookery.
More about Madhur Jaffrey...
Climbing the Mango Trees: A Memoir of a Childhood in India Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking An Invitation to Indian Cooking