Start by marking “One Man's Garden” as Want to Read:
One Man's Garden

One Man's Garden

In the sequel to The Essential Earthman, the Washington Post columnist offers a harvest of sharp observations and humorous adventures gathered during a year in his garden, along with much down-to-earth advice on horticulture.
Published April 14th 1999 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about One Man's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Man's Garden

Shelly
Jul 28, 2013 Shelly rated it it was amazing
A couple of years ago, I found Ruth Reichl and fell in love with her and read all of her memoirs. Reading this book produced a similar feeling; I am both deeply comforted that Henry Mitchell existed, and thrilled that I found his writing, which is exactly my favorite kind of cozy prose.

A quote: "It is true, to an extent no beginning gardener will believe, that the beautiful effects of the garden are those of light falling on wonderful masses and details that come by luck, just in the nature of t
False Millennium
Mitchell used to write a gardening column for The Washington Post and his style is informed, witty and practical. The book uses the format of a full gardening year, each chapter representing each month, and since his garden was where mine is, many of his ideas (and failures) prove useful information to me. I know I've read this book before, but I'm glad I read it again. There is something to be said for reading gardening journals. There's an informality about them, and you usually feel like you ...more
Kristi
Feb 14, 2012 Kristi rated it really liked it
In order to read this book, you must really, really love gardening. He'll go on about a particular flower for many-a-pages, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you love shooting the breeze and rambling on about the nuances of let's say: fish ponds or irises. What made it for me was his sense of humor, or what I perceived as humorous :) his strong opinions laced with wit, satire & a touch of sarcasm were delightful in the setting of a garden. It's not the kind of book I'd read twice, but w ...more
Audrey Driscoll
Aug 17, 2013 Audrey Driscoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A second collection of garden essays by the inimitable Henry Mitchell, these arranged by month (a device often seen in garden writing). They range from humorous ("Before You Bring In The Plants, Make Sure Your Rugs Are Clean") to poignant ("Turn Down The Noise"). The latter rarely fails to move me to tears. Behind the wit and humour was a serious man and profound thinker -- truly an Earthman.
Elise
Mar 12, 2010 Elise rated it really liked it
I guess if I can't be grubbing around in my own garden at this time of year, the next best thing is just to read about other's gardening experiences. The author was a columnist for the Washington Post for years and this is a collection of some of his columns. Very funny. Just the thing for morbid March weather.
Meryl
Oct 28, 2008 Meryl rated it liked it
I always love a good gardening book in the winter time. This one gave me a few fun ideas (every time he mentioned his pond I wondered how my little terrier would react to gold fish), but was a little flower centric for this veggie gardening girl.
Kate
Feb 16, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
This and all Henry Mitchell's books are my favorite garden reading - not really how to books, but rather a collection of columns from the Washington Post in which he reflects on gardening and life, from the perspective of an enthusiastic, knowledgable, imperfect gardener.
David Ward
Feb 03, 2010 David Ward rated it liked it
One Man’s Garden by Henry Mitchell (Houghton Miflin 1992)( 635.0). This is a collection of Mitchell's gardening columns. I love his garden writings – not so his other collected work. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 4/7/2012.
Angie
Oct 24, 2009 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
Not a book I would press on friends, but I was amazed at the breadth of his knowledge and loved his sense of humor. So many segments I wanted to read aloud for others to enjoy.
Cathy Heinsohn
Oct 02, 2016 Cathy Heinsohn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I would have probably loved reading these in the newspaper, but all together in a book did not work well.
Amy L.
Nov 13, 2007 Amy L. rated it liked it
Now this is a man who loves to garden. I apparently prefer to read about gardening. He inspires me, but not enough to go outside and water my plants when it's hot.
Grady McCallie
Grady McCallie rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012
M
M rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2009
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2015
Gail Sanders
Gail Sanders rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Brooke Condon
Brooke Condon rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Royalie
Royalie rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Prubo
Prubo rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2009
Speechgrrl
Speechgrrl rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Rhode
Rhode rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2012
Julie Pieper
Julie Pieper rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2011
B.a.ray
B.a.ray rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Susan Rainwater
Susan Rainwater rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Molly Vaughan
Molly Vaughan rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Joell
Joell rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2011
Sharon Wright
Sharon Wright rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2014
Melody
Melody rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2009
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2012
Rthgrl
Rthgrl rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2012
Greta Fisher
Greta Fisher rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2011