Start by marking “Secret Lives of the Civil War: What Your Teachers Never Told You about the War Between the States” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Legendary Heroes of U.S. History—As You’ve Never Seen Them Before!

Secret Lives of the Civil War features irreverent and uncensored profiles of men and women from the Union and the Confederacy—complete with hundreds of little-known and downright bizarre facts. You’ll discover that:

• Mary Todd Lincoln claimed to receive valuable military strategies from ghosts in the spir
Published May 1st 2007 by Quirk Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Lives of the Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Lives of the Civil War

The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPhersonUndaunted Courage by Stephen E. AmbroseThe Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale
Best Books About Nineteenth Century History
186th out of 319 books — 168 voters
Uppity Women of Medieval Times by Vicki LeónA Treasury of Foolishly Forgotten Americans by Michael FarquharDoomed Queens by Kris WaldherrUppity Women of the Renaissance by Vicki LeónThe Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody by Will Cuppy
Biographical Sketches
47th out of 94 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff
Sep 24, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it
It's my own fault I took forever to finish this book. There were so many facts and names and conjectures and repetitions of all that that in the end I finally just muscled through. It was a slog though, but I'm not entirely sure how much of that is the author's fault.
The book is laid out like a media guide for the civil war teams. Each character gets their assets, a short blurb about their favorite quote, and their astrological sign. The material is very in-depth, giving the characters history,
Ruth
Sep 07, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it
I really like O'Brien's style - it's fun and interesting. I have a harder time following battles and tactics, so I enjoyed his other books a little more (Secret Lives of the U.S. Presidents and Secret Lives of the First Ladies), but this was still enjoyable and informative. It did help that that I have read Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin - names that wouldn't have meant much to me actually had a place in my mind (Stanton, Seward, etc.)
Michelina Matozzi-Sullivan
I found Cormac O'Brien's book a very interesting look into the key players of the Civil War. Read my entire review of the book at my blog: http://michelinam.wordpress.com/2013/...
Zane
Feb 17, 2013 Zane rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Like I said about its counterparts, this book by Cormac O'Brien are fun, organized, and extremely interesting. If you're a history buff, you need these for your home library.
Kristi Spinks
Mar 13, 2013 Kristi Spinks rated it it was amazing
Good book. Some funny stories about the people involved in the Civil War. Made me laugh several times.
Lynnette
Jan 20, 2009 Lynnette rated it it was amazing
just loved it, so very cool and interesting...
Cheryl Bittner
Cheryl Bittner is currently reading it
May 30, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Whitney Green
Whitney Green marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Daniel A. Rufo
Daniel A. Rufo rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Chris McKelley
Chris McKelley rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Arti383
Arti383 marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Melissa Reid
Melissa Reid is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2016
Amber Draper
Amber Draper is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2016
Gary Ormiston
Gary Ormiston marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Joshua Dykes
Joshua Dykes rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Megtred
Megtred marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Harold Kelso
Harold Kelso marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Bre
Bre marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Zach Dutson
Zach Dutson marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
James
James rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015