Start by marking “Buried Memories” as Want to Read:
Buried Memories

Buried Memories

Here is the chilling true story of Betty Lou Beets, the "Texas Black Widow" -- a woman who shot and killed two of her husbands, and attempted to murder two others. After a sensational trial, she was sentenced to die by lethal injection, and fifteen years later, on February 24, 2000, she was executed.
Published March 1st 2001 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Buried Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buried Memories

Eva Leger
Nov 06, 2008 Eva Leger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-true-crime
This woman is the epitomy of nuts. The book is about Betty Lou Beets who apparently got tired of her husbands rather quickly. Instead of going through the drama of a divorce she figured she'd handle things herself- why let things get messy, right?
Yeah- she threw a few down a well and kept going, shot another one...in the back, tried to literally drive over another one. Some lived, some didn't and in the end she got caught. (Thank the Lord above.)
Definitely worthwhile reading if you like true c
Laurel-Rain
From the beginning of this true-life account of "the bloody crimes and execution of the Texas Black Widow," we already know the outcome. We know she kills two husbands, is convicted of the crimes, and is executed—the second woman in Texas to be executed since the Civil War.

But much of the narrative of "Buried Memories : The Bloody Crimes and Execution of the Texas Black Widow" simply chronicles the life of Betty Lou Dunevant Beets, complete with snippets of her childhood experiences and the nume
Indra
Apr 20, 2009 Indra rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Well-researched and documented case about a female sociopath who murdered two of her husbands and attempted to murder two more...unfortunately, it sounds as if the media turned this case into a debate about capital punishment and whether the death penalty is right or wrong rather than focusing on what this particular woman had actually done. Trying murder cases in the media with the seemingly inevitable accompaniment of a total loss of perspective has not changed since this woman's crimes and ev ...more
Becky
Apr 09, 2014 Becky rated it it was ok
Truly a selfish, evil, crazy woman was Betty Lou Beets. She got tired of her husbands and instead of divorcing them she murdered them. She died for her dastardly deeds, the second woman in TX to be executed since the Civil War. The death penalty is always an issue and there is much about that in this book too. The author did a great job of researching and documenting the story of this woman who thought she was above the law.
Lynda Kelly
For me this author went from hero to zero. I read a previous book by her and it was an easy 5 stars-just terrific-but this one is terribly written and I got to 85% and started flicking through pulling out pertinent information till the end. I'd had enough. I certainly won't be buying any more by her. So disappointing when this happens-you think you've found a great new author then get horribly let down.
The last book had hardly any mistakes in it whereas it's not the case with this one. There are
Diana
Really, it gets a 3.5.

I wasn't familiar with Betty Lou Beets before this book, so I can't judge on how accurately Pence told the story. Listening to the audiobook, which was well read, was also confusing, because Betty has a lot of family members, and I sometimes had a hard time keeping up with who was who.

The book starts out strong, but as the story unfolds, I can't decide if the book is accurate--in which case both Betty's family and the Texas legal process are a hot mess--or if it's messy wri
Sheila DeChantal
Aug 30, 2014 Sheila DeChantal rated it liked it
Buried Memories is narrated by George Newbern. He has the ideal voice and tone for such a read. The true story takes you back through Betty’s life as a young mom, and details about where she would meet her future husbands and what she looked for in a husband. Betty’s formula was definitely premeditated. She became known as the Texas Black Widow. More heartbreaking, is the way she involved her son and daughter in her doings… in one case, having her adult daughter come over and help her move the b ...more
Lynda M. Breeze
Dec 18, 2014 Lynda M. Breeze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and well resaerched

Although the book contains some distracting grammatical error it was engrossing & appeared to be well researched. The author did a good job of developing &presenting the character of Mrs. Beets. The trial coverage was very complete. I would have appreciated more thoroughness in the pretrial years. The pretrial years seemed superficial in comparison. Overall a good read.
Bill Subalusky
May 04, 2008 Bill Subalusky rated it it was ok
A slightly overpriced five dollar book I bought to pass the time of a flight to Miami. Generally interesting if you have a desire to refresh yourselves on the misery of some people. The last few pages provide a good reminder to not believe everything you see and hear on television about the "poor criminals" who are really victims themselves.
Michelle
Mar 15, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book that keeps you wondering how she can possibly get away with these crimes.

A great account of a woman's greed and lack of remorse for the men who loved her and her own children whom she loved. Money truly is the root of all evil and this book describes a woman who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. I am glad I purchased this book to read.
Nicole G.
Gets an extra star for the story itself, as Betty Lou Beets was completely crazy. However, this took me a few days to read because it's not very well written. It appears that this is the only book written about this black widow, who was married five times and disposed of the final two in her own backyard. What's worse, she coerced her children to help her move the bodies. Absolutely insane.
Jeannie
Mar 28, 2009 Jeannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This woman was just plain evil and thought she was above the law. Amazes me no matter how many true crimes I read that most of them do believe that! I thought it was well written and an easy and quick read.
Theresa
Jun 27, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Women murderers

This woman was a cold blooded killer who cared about no one but herself. She didn't even care for her children.I'm not sure I believe in the death penalty but if I did she deserved it.
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
An interesting read. It's fascinating to me that people like this can do terrible things for money and yet are so unwilling to die themselves when they're caught. I'm not certain the disconnect there.
Fishface
Jan 15, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
Shelves: family-secret
A pretty good read about a very, very interesting case. The book was well-organized, never repetitive and never bogged down, even though the writing was pretty clumsy in spots. Half the people in this story were real characters, which kept things moving right along. Well worth a look.
Tracylorayne
Aug 21, 2012 Tracylorayne rated it really liked it
I had to read this because my families lake house was 1 door away from Jimmy Don Beets house!!!! It's all still so surreal! Sad but true. It was interesting to read!
Kathy
Apr 17, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
What a story...very sad for her children and for her victims' families. She was really just all about herself.
Lise Mette
Sep 09, 2014 Lise Mette rated it it was ok
2,5 stars.
Randi Shelton
Aug 16, 2011 Randi Shelton rated it it was amazing
Wow! That was one twisted lady!
Louise
Mar 22, 2009 Louise rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This is the true story of a woman named Betty Lou Beets who was known as the Texas Black Widow.

Cheryl A. Breidigan
Quick and easy read

Have read many true crime books and this one was pretty good. While not the best book it ranks as one of the most interesting.
Cassandra
Jul 28, 2014 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
Interesting story of Betty Lou Beets, one of the better true crime stories. Gave good background and story building.
Narration is ok. He didn't make it a better story but wasn't distracting.
thersia turbiville
thersia turbiville rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Mrs. Warber
Mrs. Warber rated it it was ok
May 17, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
VICTORIA P BRANCH
VICTORIA P BRANCH rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Cori
Cori rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2014
susan sheppard
susan sheppard rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Carolee
Carolee rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Mitzy
Mitzy rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
  • Disposable Income A True Story of Sex, Greed and Im-purr-fect Murder
  • The Confessions of an American Black Widow: A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife
  • Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
  • Death Sentence: The True Story of Velma Barfield's Life, Crimes, and Punishment
  • Cemetery John: The Undiscovered Mastermind Behind the Lindbergh Kidnapping
  • Dead Reckoning
  • To Have and To Kill
  • Body of Proof: Tainted Evidence In The Murder Of Jessica O'Grady?
  • Red Zone: The San Francisco Dog Mauling Case
  • The World's Most Bizarre Murders: True Stories That Will Shock and Amaze You
  • Safe Harbor: A Murder in Nantucket (St. Martin's True Crime Library)
  • Sleep My Darlings: The true story of a mother who killed her children in cold blood
  • Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder
  • Predator
  • The Stranger In My Bed
  • A Need to Kill: The True-Crime Account of John Joubert, Nebraska's Most Notorious Serial Child Killer
  • Fatal: The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer
  • A Deadly Affair
Irene Jean Rorick Pence was born in Omaha, Nebraska. She graduated from the University of Nebraska, with a BS in Business Administration and Arizona State University with an MA in Education. She has also taken many creative writing courses from Southern Methodist University.

Irene is married and has three children. She has won the Dallas Morning News' Golden Pen Award and is published in Business E
More about Irene Pence...

“trailer and found Ray in his mother’s bedroom. “How come you’re hanging” 0 likes