Buried Memories

Buried Memories

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Here is the chilling true story of Betty Lou Beets, the "Texas Black Widow" -- a woman who shot and killed two of her husbands, and attempted to murder two others. After a sensational trial, she was sentenced to die by lethal injection, and fifteen years later, on February 24, 2000, she was executed.
Published March 1st 2001 by Pinnacle

Eva Leger
This woman is the epitomy of nuts. The book is about Betty Lou Beets who apparently got tired of her husbands rather quickly. Instead of going through the drama of a divorce she figured she'd handle things herself- why let things get messy, right?
Yeah- she threw a few down a well and kept going, shot another one...in the back, tried to literally drive over another one. Some lived, some didn't and in the end she got caught. (Thank the Lord above.)
Definitely worthwhile reading if you like true c...more
Laurel-Rain
From the beginning of this true-life account of "the bloody crimes and execution of the Texas Black Widow," we already know the outcome. We know she kills two husbands, is convicted of the crimes, and is executed—the second woman in Texas to be executed since the Civil War.

But much of the narrative of "Buried Memories : The Bloody Crimes and Execution of the Texas Black Widow" simply chronicles the life of Betty Lou Dunevant Beets, complete with snippets of her childhood experiences and the nume...more
Indra
Well-researched and documented case about a female sociopath who murdered two of her husbands and attempted to murder two more...unfortunately, it sounds as if the media turned this case into a debate about capital punishment and whether the death penalty is right or wrong rather than focusing on what this particular woman had actually done. Trying murder cases in the media with the seemingly inevitable accompaniment of a total loss of perspective has not changed since this woman's crimes and ev...more
michelle Lynn Miller
A great book that keeps you wondering how she can possibly get away with these crimes.

A great account of a woman's greed and lack of remorse for the men who loved her and her own children whom she loved. Money truly is the root of all evil and this book describes a woman who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. I am glad I purchased this book to read.
Theresa
Women murderers

This woman was a cold blooded killer who cared about no one but herself. She didn't even care for her children.I'm not sure I believe in the death penalty but if I did she deserved it.
Kathy
What a story...very sad for her children and for her victims' families. She was really just all about herself.
Becky
Truly a selfish, evil, crazy woman was Betty Lou Beets. She got tired of her husbands and instead of divorcing them she murdered them. She died for her dastardly deeds, the second woman in TX to be executed since the Civil War. The death penalty is always an issue and there is much about that in this book too. The author did a great job of researching and documenting the story of this woman who thought she was above the law.
Bill Subalusky
A slightly overpriced five dollar book I bought to pass the time of a flight to Miami. Generally interesting if you have a desire to refresh yourselves on the misery of some people. The last few pages provide a good reminder to not believe everything you see and hear on television about the "poor criminals" who are really victims themselves.
Jeannie
This woman was just plain evil and thought she was above the law. Amazes me no matter how many true crimes I read that most of them do believe that! I thought it was well written and an easy and quick read.
Tracylorayne
I had to read this because my families lake house was 1 door away from Jimmy Don Beets house!!!! It's all still so surreal! Sad but true. It was interesting to read!
Louise
This is the true story of a woman named Betty Lou Beets who was known as the Texas Black Widow.

Randi Shelton
Wow! That was one twisted lady!
Cassandra
Cassandra is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Lani Jo Hadaller
Lani Jo Hadaller is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Irene Jean Rorick Pence was born in Omaha, Nebraska. She graduated from the University of Nebraska, with a BS in Business Administration and Arizona State University with an MA in Education. She has also taken many creative writing courses from Southern Methodist University.

Irene is married and has three children. She has won the Dallas Morning News' Golden Pen Award and is published in Business E...more
More about Irene Pence...
No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murdeous Act of Revenge Clue From The Grave Triangle No, Daddy, Don T!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge